• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
rule303

TZ3 Players: Why Axis?

41 posts in this topic

On 12/30/2016 at 9:14 AM, dre21 said:

I think it has to do that most TZ3 players are European players ,and hence gravitate more to the Axis side then the Allied side. 

The PLD  (and Greni was CO)was one of the biggest German speaking squads in game along with many smaller ones 

See... this reasoning has always puzzled me. I would think, based on ACTUAL history... Europeans would be pro Allied rather than pro Axis. 

Why would people, who's countries were devastated by the Axis during WWII... now want to play that role in a game?  I could never quite wrap  my head around that. 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Population swings back and forth, like clockwork. Allies were rolling and axis were whining, Axis are rolling and Allies are whining. 

Always the same people doing the whining, always. 

What we need is more people playing this game, across the board and across all TZs. That's the real fix. 

have to agree with Moz on this. every chunk of 3 to 5 campaigns TZ3 swings one way or another and TZ3 usually swings the campaign. been roughly 10 years like that at least. there are unique exceptions - like the recent Axis comeback from Frankfurt a few campaigns ago - and/but  - that started the recent TZ3 swing back to Axis after 4 or 5 in a row for Allied. 

more pop overall, especially TZ3 can even things out. and/or the underpop TZ3 side needs to create a TZ3 neutralizing solution - way back, after a long Axis TZ3 swing of victories, Allied (I think it was Monashy?) created a dedicated ad hoc squad/group called 'The Block' that had Allied players + HC logging in specifically to TZ3 to neutralize the late night/morning rolls.  Worked real good too. 

3-5 campaigns in  row of defeats can cost subs though...

No matter which side..not good for the game.

22 hours ago, lipton said:

See... this reasoning has always puzzled me. I would think, based on ACTUAL history... Europeans would be pro Allied rather than pro Axis. 

Why would people, who's countries were devastated by the Axis during WWII... now want to play that role in a game?  I could never quite wrap  my head around that. 

Because this is a game not real life.  Playing Axis in game in no way means that you agree with their agenda or historical atrocities.  Many people somehow seem to equate the two... this reasoning has always puzzled me.

2 hours ago, saronin said:

Because this is a game not real life.  Playing Axis in game in no way means that you agree with their agenda or historical atrocities.  Many people somehow seem to equate the two... this reasoning has always puzzled me.

It's a WWII game.... Not a Red vs Blue game. I love the WWII aspect. I do not play modern war games as a rule. To me, I  view it in the historic vein of Allied>Good Guys and Axis>Bad Guys. I don't ever play bad guys, I don't log on to shoot other players. I log on to defeat the Axis.

You can have your own opinion of the people who play Axis, who all might be great people. That doesn't mean they aren't choosing to play the bad guys. There's a reason that the bad guys in Star Wars are called Storm Troopers. The analogy is pretty apt. And in Star Wars games a LOT of folks choose to play Empire as well, which boggles my mind as much as the Walking Dead fans who dress up like characters like the psychotic Governor or the homicidal Negan.

1 person likes this

Oh and one thing that no one has yet mentioned.... It would be very interesting to see how many of the Allied wins owed a big chunk of their win to Axis Squads that swapped for that campaign, versus wins that were won by an Allied side populated exclusively by dedicated Allied players. I'm pretty sure that Allied win percentage would drop like a rock. When this happens, however well intentioned. it makes me feel like one of a team of 10 year old basketball players who have to play kids from high school. Bored after a couple of easy wins, the high schoolers decide to give the younger kids a couple of their players to even the odds. then those players do most of the scoring while the younger team runs around asking to be handed the ball. Then when the 'younger' team does win, the traded guys tell the kids that it was a  team win just to make them feel better.

1 person likes this

20 hours ago, Quincannon said:

It's a WWII game.... Not a Red vs Blue game. I love the WWII aspect. I do not play modern war games as a rule. To me, I  view it in the historic vein of Allied>Good Guys and Axis>Bad Guys. I don't ever play bad guys, I don't log on to shoot other players. I log on to defeat the Axis.

You can have your own opinion of the people who play Axis, who all might be great people. That doesn't mean they aren't choosing to play the bad guys. There's a reason that the bad guys in Star Wars are called Storm Troopers. The analogy is pretty apt. And in Star Wars games a LOT of folks choose to play Empire as well, which boggles my mind as much as the Walking Dead fans who dress up like characters like the psychotic Governor or the homicidal Negan.

Axis = Bad guys?  they MIGHT be good guys?  what kind of garbage is this?  I play Axis because when I started I played both sides, then an Axis squad (1775RDF) took me under their wing and taught me how to play.  I STAY axis because of my squad (Blitz Kader formed out of 1775RDF).  Doesnt mean I have ANY affiliation of affinity to historical Axis behavior.  Pretty weak post Quincannon.

3 people like this

6 minutes ago, ender24 said:

Axis = Bad guys?  they MIGHT be good guys?  what kind of garbage is this?  I play Axis because when I started I played both sides, then an Axis squad (1775RDF) took me under their wing and taught me how to play.  I STAY axis because of my squad (Blitz Kader formed out of 1775RDF).  Doesnt mean I have ANY affiliation of affinity to historical Axis behavior.  Pretty weak post Quincannon.

With all due respect...HISTORICALLY, the Axis were the bad guys. They started the war and they tried to take over the world by force. If you don't believe me, read a history book. The PLAYERS who play Axis might be great guys. they might not. I don't know most of them, so I have no idea what most lof them are like. ( As a person, I never know what a person that I have never met is like, so I generally try to assume that they MIGHT be a good person)  BUT if they are choosing to play Axis, they are choosing to play the  'bad guys' in a WORLD WAR TWO game.

Look, your squad may well be some of the nicest people on God's green earth. They may have treated you well, work at a Habitat for Humanity and kiss babies. but they chose to play the historical 'bad guys' in a game based on a a historic conflict; just like you chose to do when you went Axis. It would be the same type of thing if this was a Star Wars game and all of the same people played Imperial Storm Troopers; also known as the 'bad guys'.

Of all the things you could take offense at, this should be the one least likely to get anyone bent out of shape. I didn't call the Axis 'bad guys' in an attempt to insult anyone. No one is saying that you, as a person, or as a player, share the beliefs or the historical atrocities that were committed by the Axis during the real war. That does not change the fact, that in any WWII game, the Axis are the bad guys and the Allies are the good guys.

There's a reason I play these games... I LIKE to play the good guy. I don't play bad guys. I play Allied in WWII games. I play American Colonies in Revolutionary War scenarios. When I played WoW I certainly never played Horde. Hopefully you get the point.

I'm not calling any player a bad person for playing Axis in this or any other WWII game; but I AM saying that they are choosing to play the historic 'bad' side in this particular era of history. What would really scare me is that anyone would fail to see that the Axis were the villains of WWII. (And yes I know the Russians are a different argument, let's not head down that road, please)

Have a nice day, neighbor.

S!

1 person likes this

You're out of your mind, QC. 

Seriously, the entire line of thought you are putting into that is just totally off base. 

It's a friggin game.  Even hinting at what you're hinting at is disgusting. 

2 people like this

At the end of the day, it's just a game. I've played many games (Panzer General, carriers at war, etc) and have played both sides. I play chess too, though I prefer black. I would play Axis more, but they don't have a fast bomber (ju88 please) and it seems more help is needed allied. I will occasionally switch sides for the duration of a campaign, I don't ever even think good side bad side. To me, from my perspective, its black, or white.

35 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

You're out of your mind, QC. 

Seriously, the entire line of thought you are putting into that is just totally off base. 

It's a friggin game.  Even hinting at what you're hinting at is disgusting. 

What am I hinting at? I don't HINT or infer  things. Tell me, if this was a Star Wars game and I said that the guys who chose the Empire were playing the 'bad guys' would anyone  get upset? Yes, it's a game. It's just one of those games with a side of  'good guys' and 'bad guys'. Seriously folks, this is a WWII game. Since when were the Axis NOT considered the bad guys?

Since when is the concept of 'white hats versus black hats', or 'good guys versus bad guys' unacceptable? Was it disgusting when we were kids, and we played Cops and Robbers? What is so 'disgusting ' about this concept?

How can anyone play a WWII game and not expect that people are going to view it in some way as being based on WWII?

1 person likes this

I like how my post explaining "it's the HC" is too heavy so it gets deleted but this conversation keeps going. Gee in addition to what I said about HC strategy maybe the reason why the allies don't have more players outside US prime is because they think that anyone playing axis is a [censored] sympathizer? lol

9 minutes ago, Quincannon said:

How can anyone play a WWII game and not expect that people are going to view it in some way as being based on WWII?

Because this is also a FPS, an open world PvP game and a military simulation. All of those are sizeable demographics and the WW2 historical aspect is actually pretty thin in comparison (they even changed the name from WW2online to Battleground Europe). I can understand why the guys that are in this primarily to roleplay as virtual generals might get caught up on the good guy/bad guy thing, but most people are here to either to pad stats or win the map or otherwise have fun.

If you haven't noticed the allies have consistently more pilots than the axis so that makes your point null anyway.

I don't buy into the good vs bad guys. Its 2 historical armies fighting campaigns. There are no politics to the game; No civilians, No concentration camps, No swastikas, no infamous [censored] names allowed. The most "bad" you can do in game is stab a guy in the crotch (which is immensely fun) which the "good" guys also do.

See! even "n _ _ _s" was censored LOL

Edited by gavalink

38 minutes ago, david01 said:

I like how my post explaining "it's the HC" is too heavy so it gets deleted but this conversation keeps going. Gee in addition to what I said about HC strategy maybe the reason why the allies don't have more players outside US prime is because they think that anyone playing axis is a [censored] sympathizer? lol

Because this is also a FPS, an open world PvP game and a military simulation. All of those are sizeable demographics and the WW2 historical aspect is actually pretty thin in comparison (they even changed the name from WW2online to Battleground Europe). I can understand why the guys that are in this primarily to roleplay as virtual generals might get caught up on the good guy/bad guy thing, but most people are here to either to pad stats or win the map or otherwise have fun.

1. Nobody ever accused anyone of being something like a (censored) sympathizer.

2. If the WWII theme doesn't matter, then why care at all about the theme? In relation to modern weapons and combat, WW2 weapons  are very low tech and much less efficient in general. Why btake the trouble with a historical bent at all? CRS goes to a lot of trouble to simulate historical WWII stuff. Why bother? If all that matters is that this is a FPS PVP game, and all that matters is shooting opponents, why not just have a nonspecific arena city map? BTW How exactly do people find this game if they are not invited by friends? It's a 15 year old game...the design is unique, but limited in relation to newer FPS games. Why do people who haven't played it before try it out? If they look it up on Steam... what category are they going to use?

I certainly didn't join under the impression that this was a strategic war simulator (A la Iron Hearts). I didn't join to roleplay generals. I could have played any popular MMO, but I found this game, not by searching for just any MMO, but by searching for a WORLD WAR TWO MMO. I LIKE WWII games. I stopped buying any CoD games after they went modern, and I had no interest in such things. I wanted to play WWII and wanted to fight the Axis. If this were any other genre....I would never have even looked at it once, let alone twice. I'm assuming here, but I would guess that I'm not the only one who chose and plays this game primarily because it's a WWII game.

I know that the good guy/bad guy thing isn't huge for most people. Normally, I assume that in an age where one of the most popular series of games is GTA (Or as I like to think of it, the Criminal Mentality in Training series), that most gamers are no longered by ethical concerns in video games. That doesn't mean that the fact that things in the world have reached that state doesn't boggle my mind.

Anyway... I never accused anyone of anything bad. Even a number of the Axis players call it 'The Dark Side'. I never meant to start a HUGE issue where people am inferring that I think of other PLAYERS as if they subscribed to any historic Axis ideals or  concepts. To be blatently honest, I personally HATE the concept of PVP. I would gleefully play this game if all the opponents were AI robots, and be happier because I would be able to play alongside every live player. It IS a game. I can't help it if the targets are actually played by people. I don't feel any more achievement beating a person than i would if it were all AI. I don't look to see who killed me because it doesn't matter to me. I just want to play  one of the Allies in WWII helping to fight the war against the Axis. That's MY view of the game. No offense was ever intended against anyone...honestly....I am sorry if anyone felt that I did.

S!

1 person likes this

Players have the choice to play what side they like at any time. Always have, always will PERIOD.

1 person likes this