saryehudah

So about Steam and Subscriptions

35 posts in this topic

I realize this is probably the third or fourth time I've posted, since 2012, about this game and that I think that its subscription and payment models, regardless of fiscal necessity, are not good or conducive to getting a large player base. As I've said before, in order to keep critics from yelling at me, I'm disabled, and I have a younger sister who is far worse off than me, whom I take care of, thus I have limited finances and that may not change for years... So don't say "it's only 5 dollars." 

Free players are so restricted as to being half-useless. You cannot capture territory even. I really hope that upon Steam release, free players get access to and adequate amount of equipment and features so as to remain useful for the entire duration of the campaign. I would very much like to play this game, and get my friend to play it with me. He's in Brazil. Contrary to common belief, any monthly subscription, is prohibitive no matter how low it is. I can make a one time payment for a retail priced game, but not a monthly subscription. The player base of expand drastically if you include upon steam release, a good chunk of goodies for free players. Bigger, more epic battles can take place. If I had the money, I would buy 2 full 15 dollar subscriptions, one for me and the other for my friend, but I can't do that. To the forum-goers who aren't Rat Staff, please do not post here saying I can afford it or it's worth it. I believe you that its worth it, but I don't have it, and a great majority of would be players, are unlikely to believe it is worth it, especially since the market is completely saturated with subscription games.

To the Cornered Rat Staff, I really, really hope you intend to make free play viable and soon. I've been waiting 4 years for it to happen, ever since I discovered WWII Online.

14 minutes ago, monsjoex said:

Free accounts can capture.

+1

And I believe free accounts get a rotation per campaign on what they get to use, I for one agree this is how it should remain.

Okay so it seems I was grossly mistaken on this regard. I could have sworn this was not the case, and that I read it. 

There is another thing I REALLY am not liking.

Free players cannot use binoculars. That is a MASSIVE disadvantage.....

1 minute ago, saryehudah said:

Okay so it seems I was grossly mistaken on this regard. I could have sworn this was not the case, and that I read it. 

There is another thing I REALLY am not liking.

Free players cannot use binoculars. That is a MASSIVE disadvantage.....

I understand what you are saying, I really do, but they have to make money to keep this game going somehow.  This is a totally player funded game, they have no backers or corporation behind them. If we don't subscribe, there will be no game. 

If they give away all the perks for free, why would anyone pay a subscription? 

2 people like this

Thank you for appreciating my comments. Yeah I know CR needs to make money. I WANT to give them my money. Unfortunately that probably isn't going to happen because of living expenses, and the fact that I am stuck at home caring for my youngest sister. She can't be left alone. I'm not the breadwinner in this house hold. My other sister is. There's also lots of BS which keeps ambushing my family. Maybe I'm just a jerk. I was asking for some kind of balance, not exactly "free stuff." But I am pretty much stuck. I want to play BE:WWII Online quite a lot. But I also don't think I'll enjoy it with severe restrictions. I simply don't have the resources to subscribe to unnecessary things. (I know, WWII Online should be considered a necessity since It's so unique. :P) I also, am attempting to argue reforming the current system will bring in more players, and as a result (hopefully) more subscribers.

4 hours ago, Pittpete said:

What a guy...GJ Mo

Selfish motivations...hopefully he'll sub eventually and I'll get to kill him a lot :P

2 people like this

As for the FREE TO PLAY getting to use the equipment I spent years on getting to the level that would give me the equipment is total BS.

Why would anyone pay to play if you can use the stuff for free.

Personally I think FTP needs more restrictions and maybe one weekend a month full access.

The whole thing is, CRS needs to make MONEY to survive. End of story.

1 person likes this

On 1/17/2017 at 2:15 AM, Mosizlak said:

Selfish motivations...hopefully he'll sub eventually and I'll get to kill him a lot :P

And on that day the Mosizalk's heart grew three sizes..... Way to go Mo!

S!S!S!S!S!S!

Hey Sar,

Glad to have you with us last night, man. Yes, every campaign they do unlock certain items for free-to-play. It changes every campaign. 

Also, free-to-play is not as useless as you think. Riflemen are the most important unit in the game, especially with respect to capturing, scouting, and most firefights. Sandbag placement is also quite influential. 

Keep playing with us and see how we fortify areas with regular old riflemen. It gives the enemy a run for his money and makes it much harder for him to dig us out. Not to mention forward base raids, when there's enemy resistance. The rifleman is the way to go in those situations. 

Last campaign, I believe free-to-plays had access to light tanks like the Vickers and such. Those are also super useful in backing up infantry. If you ask me, these should be made available to free-to-plays. 

Keep playing with us and I'll show you the ropes bud. There's always a role you can play! 

2 people like this

I opened up a ticket, no response, talked to Xoom, he said someone sent me an email, I received no emails (checked all folders). Said I have to open up another ticket...It shouldnt be this hard to gift someone a few months of play time...

On 1/16/2017 at 8:33 PM, Mosizlak said:

@XOOM, can you buy this guy 3 month's starter account and bill me? 

Wow man, good for you for helping this guy out! S!

As far a F2P accounts go I feel they are good for the game. I understand some may be frustrated, some may call it "pay to win" but that's really not the case. CRS needs the dedicated player support to keep this game alive. I think once potential players realize the fun you can have with this game they will drop $15 in the bucket. The one MAJOR thing is community, invite new players to TS, show them the ropes, let them know when your squad is doing missions. Team work makes the dream work, and subs will follow.

Maybe XOOM will do it within my life time xD.

If I can I will make an effort to buy a starter sub in the future, once that expires, assuming it happens lol.

On 1/23/2017 at 9:37 AM, Mosizlak said:

I opened up a ticket, no response, talked to Xoom, he said someone sent me an email, I received no emails (checked all folders). Said I have to open up another ticket...It shouldnt be this hard to gift someone a few months of play time...

S! Mosizlak,

Not sure exactly what happened here, there's a disconnect somewhere in the email system and we're going to have to track it down. In the meantime, we'll go ahead and bill your account based on this forum and then have it apply to him.

1 hour ago, COMPANY0 said:

S! Mosizlak,

Not sure exactly what happened here, there's a disconnect somewhere in the email system and we're going to have to track it down. In the meantime, we'll go ahead and bill your account based on this forum and then have it apply to him.

Thanks, m8 :D  

Just my 2 cents.... and my personal opinion...

Its not like anyone is forcing you to play this game... and the f2p is more of a see what this game is kind of thing.  So if you like it and you want the full experience... you "may/can" put in some bucks and help the game.

If you dont have the money, then thats your "problem" .. dont make it CRS's.  

So to all those f2p people that wanting to get better equipment or asking if there is a hack to get all the equipment ... either put in the money ... or play f2p as it is.. and if you dont like it.. then go play something else -_-

Leanderj Out!

On 1/17/2017 at 0:16 PM, saryehudah said:

Wow thank you Mosizlak... I don't know what to say. At the moment I am really busy. I'll check back when I can.

Mos, besides being a grumpy but great and generous player has hit upon a genius idea whether it happens before, upon or after Steam Launch. Assuming any of us long time supporters or rich enough full subscribers has any money left after the current fundraiser to prepare for Steam - why not offer a mechanic or process whereby: 

> current subs can offer to pay a ftp's 3 month starter sub (as mos has just done) or 

> have an additional fundraiser based solely on the premise of giving/donating the value of a (say) 3 month sub  and create a pool of money just for that that CRS (we trust you) would give out/reward ftp players with (how to judge them worthy?) ; and/or 

> create a steam promotion whereby ftp players can 'earn' or be rewarded or even just be entered in a lottery for a 'chance to win' a 3mo sub based on; ranking up or number of caps or kills or kills of a certain kind or whatever, or something? 

or not.  I for one would be happy to replicate Mos' generosity to get a potential new longer-term player for the game and new sub for CRS. 

On 1/25/2017 at 10:47 AM, leanderj said:

Just my 2 cents.... and my personal opinion...

Its not like anyone is forcing you to play this game... and the f2p is more of a see what this game is kind of thing.  So if you like it and you want the full experience... you "may/can" put in some bucks and help the game.

If you dont have the money, then thats your "problem" .. dont make it CRS's.  

So to all those f2p people that wanting to get better equipment or asking if there is a hack to get all the equipment ... either put in the money ... or play f2p as it is.. and if you dont like it.. then go play something else -_-

Leanderj Out!

I just read through Heroes and Generals reviews on Steam and I am -so- happy we have a subscription based model.
Every review now talks about how it is pay2win and an endless grind. Same with Darkfall, great promise but immediately I heard everyone about endless grinding.
Grinding is a way to get you addicted.. but you know what is also addictive? Fun gameplay

With WW2ol get a subscription, kill/capture stuff till you are rank ~6 and you can use anything. Ranking up might take a bit when you are completely new but it just all depends on how good you are. I started playing this game purely on the 1-2 week free trials back in 2005 (they were given out once every quarter or so). After a couple of those I got so good in ranking up that I would be rank 5 by the end of the week.

One advice is to get good at the Bofors/flak28 and shoot down enemy planes. Once you shoot one down, despawn to get RTB status and it gives (unless it changed) 40 points.