Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kapyong

4K resolution is fantastic in BgE

26 posts in this topic

Gday all :)

I've been playing BgE in 4K resolution (UHD, 3840 x 2160) on a 43" Philips monitor, sitting quite close.

But recently I had to drop back to HD (due to a fault in my GTX 1080.)

I found it makes a surprisingly big difference when it comes to fine details - like determining if that bush has an EI in it, or vehicles at distance e.g.

Four times as many pixels.

Recommended.

Meanwhile, I am playing on a GT 730 - the cheapest card available, and it's managing just fine at HD.

Kapyong

Edited by kapyong

can you post some screenshots of the 2 settings that you see the difference please?

3 hours ago, OHM said:

can you post some screenshots of the 2 settings that you see the difference please?

I second that request.

Tack the pics using the GT-730, not everyone has an uber card like the GTX-1080 so it's a better benchmark

S! all

Here are some screenshots I just took -

here is a view into the distance, firstly at HD :

HD%20View.png

Now at 4K :

4K%20View.png

The building details are clearly much sharper.

Also, the mini-map is more detailed, here is HD resolution :

HD%20Map.png

Now here is the 4K version :

4K%20Map.png

Same size map, but smaller icons.

Now that I've played both, I consider 4K to be much better.

My GT 730 video card can almost manage 4K (10-20 FPS), and it's a very low-end card - I expect most cards will handle 4K in this game (partly because the graphics load is relatively low.)

The big issue is the 4K monitor. I bought mine for ~$1200 AUD and I am very happy with it. The pixels have finally shrunk to below my visibility size - it's all sharp and crisp and bright and clear. Impressive. Also, Win 10 (yes, I finally succumbed) is much better at re-scaling the UI etc.

One drawback though - it's YUUGE, but not curved. The mini-map is waaayyy over in that corner, but the commands are down there, and health is um, far away over there ... oh I'm dead. I expect 4K curved screens will be a big winner.

My feelings about it after some months - Wow :) Best monitor ever, glad I bought it.

Kapyong

1 person likes this

That is amazing how much of  difference there is. Thank you for posting pic's

1 person likes this

Gday OHM :)

Thankee.

I'll try to get some combat shots with enemies - but obviously that's a bit harder ;)

Kapyong

Here is a comparison of the main map detail -

First HD :

HD%20MainMap.png

And here is 4K :

4K%20MainMap.png

We had a Spawn Delay around 4am Sunday morn New York Time !

I'm still looking for something like a long view of an EFMS from a church or similar...

Kapyong

Here is an informative comparison -

See those sheep in the distance ? :

HD%20Sheep.png

No ?

These sheep :

4K%20Sheep.png

Kapyong

1 person likes this

Looks like there is a need to spend $4k for 4k?

Super envious! looks awesome

27 minutes ago, bmw said:

10-20 FPS is getting into slideshow range if you ask me.

I'd think if you had a nvidia 900-series card you'd be fine running this game at 4k. 

15 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

I'd think if you had a nvidia 900-series card you'd be fine running this game at 4k. 

anything less than 144 fps is unplayable :D

1 person likes this

Just now, madrebel said:

anything less than 144 fps is unplayable :D

Duuuuuude I remember when I played this game stuttering along at 10 or so FPS lol. 

My new rig doesn't fall below 60 now, can't imagine going back to a stutterfest. 

This brings up an existential question.

Spend money on Uber monitor or spend money on new fundraiser. 

;)

S!

Gday jphartt and all :)

"Looks like there is a need to spend $4k for 4k?

Super envious! looks awesome"

Actually, 

prices for 4K monitors are dropping rapidly as it becomes very popular. We have been stuck at HD res for years now, and 3D has flopped, it looks like 4K will soon be the new standard.

Cheapest 4K monitor in USA  at November 2016 :

$375 for 24"

$464 for 27"

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/best-4k-monitors/

z4q9m3xv-1200x0.jpg

Amazon has 4K monitors starting at $310 -

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A172282%2Cn%3A!493964%2Cn%3A541966%2Cn%3A1292115011%2Cp_n_feature_three_browse-bin%3A12659079011&qid=1485836392&bbn=1292115011&sort=price-asc-rank

Meanwhile, regarding cards, as bmw said :

" 10-20 FPS is getting into slideshow range if you ask me. "

Yes, the minimum GT 730 is not enough. But I expect most players here already have a better card than that, and so many of them will handle 4K reasonably well. It does requires HDMI 1.4.

So you could possibly get into 4K for as little as $310.

:)

Kapyong

Sorry, stuffed up the quoting :(

5 hours ago, jphartt said:

Edited by kapyong

36 minutes ago, kapyong said:

it looks like 4K will soon be the new standard.

man, was hoping everyone would try 60fps.

newgrounds cartoons blew my mind at 60fps

I was pricing out 4k monitors and I can get them now for what I paid for my regular monitor 6 years ago lol. 

Not expensive at all. 

S!  Hey I was wondering if you are having trouble getting the game to go max resolution.  I can not get the game to go over 2560 X 1600.  If i do put it on max setting, the game only shows like the top left hand corner of the screen like it is in 800 X 600.  I tried all the resizing options and still nothing.  Also it is only this game that seems to do this.  Even my older games like Civilization V run in the highest setting.  The setting im referring to is the 3840 X 2160.  My monitor is a Asus MG28U, my video card is the Nvidia GTX 1070 4g with ddr5.  let me know if anyone knows how to fix this.   I know the monitor is a freesync and the video card is nvidia.  I am planning on getting a AMD card to go with this monitor and put the 1070 in second computer.  Dont know if that is what is causing the problem or not but i am aware and new card will be coming later.

@hastien I originally had this problem and I had to fiddle around with the settings to get it to work. There is a thread that talks about this:

ok got game working in 4k but, when i open discord, it puts game into a small window to play.  I used your above fix Rsix and it works great except when i turn on discord.  I also went in and set my browser zoom to 150 so i could see webpages.  It stays and doesnt mess with the game settings.  Not really a big deal, but i have to get a mic for my second computer so i can talk to squadies and have a headset on from main computer.

I wonder if it would be worth in say the next couple of years if (when!!) the Rats upgrade their graphics engine. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0