spocek

BMW Motorcycle with MG 34

36 posts in this topic

The 'unlimited' passenger and gun-towing capacity for said vehicles needs to be addressed in a BIG way...as in eliminated.  That is, IMHO.

Those are bugs that will probably be addressed.

I want to focus on blitzkrieg. Rapid, coordinated attacks which could really use lightly armed but fast moving vehicles like the BMW motorcycle (crew of 3 and would offer 2 persons to operate it: driver and machine gunner). The Allies would get similar vehicles as I mentioned earlier. This is entirely historically accurate. Thoughts?

Edited by spocek

Eh, the motorcycle would have no purpose in this game. 

From my understanding, they were used as a support element amongst convoys and other behind-the-lines elements. Since that is all simulated outside of the game, it effectively eliminates the need for one of these (as well as jeeps, kubels, etc).

Also, let's be real. We all know that without the behind-the-line element and without a "fear" element, these things would just be retardely drove around through the lines as essentially glorified stunt vehicles and/or a kamikaze vehicle on wheels

I disagree that they were just support vehicles. Here is the proof.

The game would be stratigically and tactically richer with the proposed light vehicles. Nothing is stopping people to act like retards using the current light vehicles (trucks and amored cars).

Edited by spocek

Because armored cars essentially act as APC's - armored infantry support. Trucks have no weaponry and serve a major strategic role (forward spawns are the key to any offensive). Bikes would have no real 'fit' with anything (Strategically nor support wise due to how lightly armed and vulnerable they are). They ultimately would become a glorified meme-mobile for stunts within a few weeks due to their ineffectiveness, extremely low profile, and strategic insignificance. 

I believe that World War 2 Online strives to be historically accurate. Armed motorcycles and jeeps had their major role in WW2. It would be worth adding them to the game to enrich it. How could you possibly know what the impact would be without trying these things out? 

Edited by spocek

Here is a bit of history for you from the invasion of Greece:

During the night of April 15, a German motorcycle battalion supported by a tank battalion attacked the ridge, but the Germans were repulsed by the New Zealand 21st Battalion under Lieutenant Colonel Neil Macky, which suffered heavy losses in the process. Later that day, a German armoured regiment arrived and struck the coastal and inland flanks of the battalion, but the New Zealanders held. After being reinforced during the night of the 15th–16th, the Germans assembled a tank battalion, an infantry battalion and a motorcycle battalion. The infantry attacked the New Zealanders' left company at dawn, while the tanks attacked along the coast several hours later. The New Zealanders soon found themselves enveloped on both sides, after the failure of the Western Macedonia Army to defend the Albanian town of Koritsa that fell unopposed to the Italian 9th Army on 15 April, forcing the British to abandon the Mount Olympus position and resulting in the capture of 20,000 Greek troops.

Also:

Over 200,000 motorcycles were built on average per year during WW2 - naturally a lot less toward the end of the war due to the Allied bombing. Here are some amazing photos from the war in various roles (recon, blitz attack units, general support, etc.).

Edited by spocek

The British, French, Germans and Americans all used motorcycles during WWII, with and without sidecars. CRS has said in the past that, because the current game engine doesn't account for centripetal forces in relation to gravity i.e. motorcycle lean during turns, if they modeled motorcycles it'd be three wheelers of one sort or another. Because of the present modeling resource limitations, my guess would be that one generic motorcycle-with-sidecar model would be built, much like the present Fairmile B motor gunboat model, and each combatant nation would get a different-skinned version of that model.

As to functionality, the current game engine code doesn't allow foot-infantry players that have joined the vehicle to fire from the vehicle, either their own weapons or the vehicle's weapons.

A sidecar motorcycle however could be modeled with two crew members. If single crewed, the driver could switch to the sidecar passenger location and use the vehicle armament, in much the same way that a player can switch among provided positions in other vehicle types. If double crewed, the sidecar-passenger player could fire that position's weapon. I don't know how vehicle kills would be accounted if only the driver was shot, and the passenger remained alive. Under the current game engine code, that passenger player couldn't switch to the driver position.

AFAIK, the many-infantry-in-one-seat functionality would apply to motorcycles too. A single motorcycle could deliver a full platoon to an attack, same as a single truck.

Good points. I can see how a third person can simply ride on the motorcycle with a sidecar behind the driver by pressing the "j" key. It would indeed be great if the motorcycle with a sidecar would be a 2 person controllable vehicle: a driver and a gunner or if one person wishes to switch between those 2 positions that would be entirely possible.

Here is a photo of a US Army WWII Harley-Davidson motorcycle with a sidecar.

harley.jpg

Edited by spocek

I agree that it would be a great vehicle for quickly travelling (@ roughly the speed of trucks) and above all providing recon. 

Edited by spocek