• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
tkilroy

What Joystick to use?

10 posts in this topic

I am returning to the game after 12 years and I would like to get a joystick to make things easier. I don't really fly and mostly play infantry or AT/AA guns. I do like to use Tanks occasionally and drive trucks and half tracks. What Brand/Model would you Vets recommend ?

If you can afford a little bit extra go for the Thrustmaster T16000m, Its the cheapest joystick with Hall sensors which are much more accurate and will last longer than the the pot sensors on the 3D pro. I have had mine for about 2 year now and have only lubricated it once and its still dead accurate with 0 noticeable deadzone. Its very future proof if you ever want to get yourself a throttle which the newest version of the stick comes with optionally. (I have the older green one but they're roughly the same)

Seriously, you will be blown away at how precise it is, you won't regret it.

I give the Thrustmaster T16000 a thumbs up too. Great stick and if you take up flying it has a throttle and rudder pedals you can buy later. Plus you get the Target software.

For an affordable and good joystick I would go with the suggestion of @GrAnit and get the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Drawback with the Extreme 3D Pro however is that it's not ambidextrous. Which means it's ergonomically designed to fit in the right hand and will be very awkward to use if you are left-handed.

It also has a large and stable base so it won't slip or lift up when you are using it.

logitech-extreme-3d-pro_2.jpg

For more advanced setup the T16000M FCS is quite nice and affordable. It comes with both Stick + Throttle. The stick is very similar to the Wingman 3D pro (image above) but contrary to the Wingman it is actually ambidextrous since you can detach the thumb-rest on the left side of the stick and attack a right side thumb rest instead.

Only thing I didn't quite fancy with the T16000M FCS was the throttle being on a flat and straight rail which gives you a straight forward or backwards motion rather than a slightly arced motion like other throttles have. I find the Throttle on the T16000M FCS to also have a bit of friction when doing slight, precise adjustments (e.g. when very slightly adjust throttle in a plane when landing) which causes it to be a bit jerky... but that might just be my model.

Another great HOTAS option is the X52 Pro which I used for a long time and was very happy with in Elite Dangerous.

Edited by ghroznak

I'm a fan of the 3D Pro, myself.  I own three of them.  One I bought new and two I bought used from a thrift store.  The used ones cleaned up and calibrated perfectly and are still working fine.  The best thing about the 3D Pro is the ergonomics.  You'll REALLY notice that after long missions.  It also has good button number and placement.  The thumb button is great to leave unmapped ingame and use for the TeamSpeak PTT (push to talk) hotkey.  The drawback with the T1600M is the buttons.  They wear out fast and break easily.  There are also only three buttons on the stick itself, other than the trigger and hat switch, where the 3D Pro has five.  If you don't want to take your hand off the stick, those other two come in very handy (pun intended).

One thing...  With any joystick, develop a light hand on the controls.  If you slam it around, any stick will break more quickly.

-Irish

1 person likes this

I use the Logitech extreme 3D pro as suggested by GraNit, Chimm, ghroznak and Odonovan1.

I bought it back in 20o7/o8 or maybe even o9. One of the 6 base buttons died on me a while back but it has served me well and would say is a reasonably reliable choice. I do wish it had more buttons though! Never enough buttons...

Odonovan is right however when he say's try to have a light hand. I tend to flick between keys/mouse and joystick for AA as I find the Joy isn't so good for tiny tiny tiny movement's, I'm not sure if the T16000m would be better for small movements?

Anyway, it will be worthwhile to get a joystick. For Moving targets while aiming AA you are able to get more of a smooth movement to follow the target as compaired to using a combination of Keys/Mouse. I still use keys to drive though! Biggest payoff is with flying/AA in my opinion.

Saff

Thanks everyone. I bought a Logitech 3D Pro last weekend and it is working wonderfully. Going to look for a headset now so I can get back on TS.

On 2/5/2017 at 9:32 PM, GrAnit said:

Logitech extreme 3D pro.  Pretty good and inexpensive.  

Yep. I've tried expensive ones. The Logitech works as well and last just as long. 

As for a headset. Best one I've found is the Sennheiser PC 363D.  Maybe a little pricey, but still middle of the road. 

Edited by lipton