• Announcements

    • PITTPETE

      NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

      The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
ghroznak

[I'm a noob] Some questions from a noob...

34 posts in this topic

Just started playing this game but it's really confusing so far.

I know about the "New players must read" thread. Been going through that one (not had a chance to view the videos yet).

Some questions though:

When playing last night I joined some missions... but everytime, before I really figured out what was happening everyone left the mission, I was made Leader (uh, lol?) and I had no clue what to do. I had a Pz 38 in one case and when I asked someone where to go they told me to go north to some Bumville place... so I checked map, and started driving... then realized it would take me, literally, an hour or two to get there.

1. So what happens to the tank if I just log off and rejoin another mission? Is it lost? Does it get put back into resirculation?

2. Also... why are all the missions, apparently, really short? I joined several missions yesterday and they were all abandoned in less than 15 minutes... (evident by the fact that I was suddenly made leader).

3. When everyone leaves a mission... should I leave too? Can't I get a new mission without exiting the battle (e.g. press escape and despawn)

4. Are missions crucial? Can you play in a squad with friends even without an active mission and just, I dunno.... go kill enemies?

5. What can you do if you get stranded in the middle of nowhere on foot? For example, clueless as I am, after a fight yesterday I was far outside the city as an infantryman... someone drove past with an Open Blitz so I jumped in and they drove me to god knows where... super-far from the city we were just at, and even worse my friend who was shot was still at that city and it would have taken him a week to run to us on foot. Any way for us to get back together without having to despawn or something?

I probably have a dozen more newbie questions as well... but these are some of the things that have me confused now in the start.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

press the F2 button (when you have spawned in a mission) and ask for help. tough game to learn on the fly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghroznak said:

Just started playing this game but it's really confusing so far.

I know about the "New players must read" thread. Been going through that one (not had a chance to view the videos yet).

Some questions though:

When playing last night I joined some missions... but everytime, before I really figured out what was happening everyone left the mission, I was made Leader (uh, lol?) and I had no clue what to do. I had a Pz 38 in one case and when I asked someone where to go they told me to go north to some Bumville place... so I checked map, and started driving... then realized it would take me, literally, an hour or two to get there.

1. So what happens to the tank if I just log off and rejoin another mission? Is it lost? Does it get put back into resirculation?

2. Also... why are all the missions, apparently, really short? I joined several missions yesterday and they were all abandoned in less than 15 minutes... (evident by the fact that I was suddenly made leader).

3. When everyone leaves a mission... should I leave too? Can't I get a new mission without exiting the battle (e.g. press escape and despawn)

4. Are missions crucial? Can you play in a squad with friends even without an active mission and just, I dunno.... go kill enemies?

5. What can you do if you get stranded in the middle of nowhere on foot? For example, clueless as I am, after a fight yesterday I was far outside the city as an infantryman... someone drove past with an Open Blitz so I jumped in and they drove me to god knows where... super-far from the city we were just at, and even worse my friend who was shot was still at that city and it would have taken him a week to run to us on foot. Any way for us to get back together without having to despawn or something?

I probably have a dozen more newbie questions as well... but these are some of the things that have me confused now in the start.

 

I suck at explaining things, but here we go.

1. Whether you use infantry, air, navy or armor, when you are logging off or changing a mission, when you press ESC the pop-up window shows up that tells you to wait for 10 seconds to despawn. If that window tells you are MIA (Missing in action), you lose supply. So thats gone. If the pop-up tells you are RTB (Return to Base) or RES (Reserved), you are saving the supply. All comes down to how far you are from the original position you left or how close you are to a friendly object. (Town, capped CP, friendly FB (forward base) etc)

2. Lots of reasons why missions might be short. There can be missions just to destroy FBs (Forward bases), which are over when the FB is destroyed. On attack, missions might be short because the mission leader never got close enough to town to set-up a spawn point (Fortified mobile spawn). Or the mission leader decided to leave the mission for various reasons, e.g the spawn point got destroyed or camped or just to leave the mission lead to someone else. On Defense, lots of veterans utilize creating a new mission just to spawn closer to a different Control point (CP), rather than spending the time to walk from CP A to CP B.

If people higher ranked than you leave the mission, the mission lead moves down the ladder. From highest rank to lowest. Mission leader can also assign you to be a leader, but i doubt that was the case.

3. If everyone leaves, it's most likely for a good reason. Either there's nothing else to do on that mission or the mission has lost its purpose. (e.g spawn is camped/destroyed etc). If there are people on your mission, you can always ask if theres anything more to do. (F1 is the keybind to chat within the mission). If you decide to leave the mission, as you are the only one left on it, it's  your call whether to leave or not. Most likely choosing another, more populated mission is a way to go.

4. Missions are what creates everything that happens in this game. Whether it's defense or attack, You ALWAYS have to have a mission (preferrably one which has a spawn point) and be on a mission to do something.  Whether it's your or someone else's mission. 

5. If you look at the mission tab, you can see which mission is doing what. Green colored missions are defense missions (Defending a town, defending an forward base etc). Orange/brown colored missions are for attacking a town or an forward base.  As a newbie, you should look for a mission that has the MS (Mission spawn(?)) box check marked. That means the mission has a mobile spawn point set-up and you can, in most cases, spawn closer to the objective. 

 

Check these threads (if you already haven't), for more information. Some of the UIs are outdated in the Video's guide thread, but i bet you can get the idea.

 

Hope this helps a little. As others said above my post, join teamspeak and/or ask in-game for help. F3 (Keybind for Side chat) is a great place to ask any questions. There are lots of people who are willing to help you out. 

Oh and more importantly, JOIN A SQUAD! 

Edited by gretnine
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. Watched some of the videos.

I got a better sense of how the attack and the FBs and such work. Makes more sense now how to figure out where the action is happening and how to get there.

Can I make my own Squad to invite my friends and then create missions for us to do out of the different towns where an AO or DO is placed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ghroznak said:

Thanks. Watched some of the videos.

I got a better sense of how the attack and the FBs and such work. Makes more sense now how to figure out where the action is happening and how to get there.

Can I make my own Squad to invite my friends and then create missions for us to do out of the different towns where an AO or DO is placed?

I don't think you can create your own squad anymore. I think the devs (CRS) has to do that, but i'm not entirely sure. I'd suggest to join an existing squad with your friends and play with the squad. You also need enough rank (if im not horribly mistaken here) to create your own missions. F2P account shouldn't be able to do that, but again, i'm not sure. Someone with more knowledge can correct me here. 

But yes, you can't just choose whatever town to attack. It has to have an AO placed by the high command. You can start preparing to defend a town, if you are sure that the enemy is going to place an AO on that town though. 


If you have any other questions, i can try to answer those for you. 

 

edit: Okay, Maxios corrected me. I'd listen to him regarding the squads. 

Edited by gretnine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ghroznak said:

Thanks. Watched some of the videos.

I got a better sense of how the attack and the FBs and such work. Makes more sense now how to figure out where the action is happening and how to get there.

Can I make my own Squad to invite my friends and then create missions for us to do out of the different towns where an AO or DO is placed?

Yes you can create a squad, but only if you or some of your friends buy a starter account or premium account. Also you need to obtain a certain rank to make missions, I'm not sure what level that is, since I've been top rank for so many years my self, but i think it is rank 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome to the pixel battlefield...

 

Tune into channel 10 if you play on the Axis side...To tune a channel---:>open map [if ingame] use mouse to open one of the free F1 to F6 channel slots above the txt bar and add nr 10....you can then monitor that channel and stay uptodate about what is going on...Channel 10 is the main HEER [ground army] channel,,Channel 20 is LUFTWAFFE [airforce]  30 is for the KRIEGSMARINE [navy]

 

Use those channels and the side channel if you have questions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1- You don't need to care about supply if you are not using a tiger or panzershreck, in some cases when you are on the defense the StuGs might be valuable but if you are attacking no problem.

2 - Most attacks fail or not go anywhere, doesn't mean this can't generate content and be enjoyable but for this to happen it has to have a few dozens of players on each side.

3 - Unless you seen some enemies and think you can kill them , in most cases you should. There are two icon over each town one is a soldier another a tank these are called EWS(early warning system) when both of this are orange double Ews it means there are some sizable number of enemy players in a 2km radius of that town.

4 - Missions are usually to Attack(orange)/Defend(green) towns or Destroy/Defend(same colors) Forward Bases that allow you to attack a town,  usually destroying FBs is a more stealth approach and only engineers can destroy them so you want to hold your fire until the enemy sees or shoots at you or the engineers are already placing explosives.

5 - Don't be afraid to despawn Mobile Spawns/FRUs/FMS all the same name for mobile spawn and this allow you to RTB, going KIA<MIA<RES<RTB are score multipliers(used to rank if you are not Free to play) and the last two allow the equipment to get back to the brigade.

 

The best action is found on weekends, holidays and US prime time in GMT terms thats 7PM to 02AM, another good way to know how many and where is the enemy is checking the map the more orange icons there is there is usually more enemies there, as I said before also check EWS on town and missions with the bar filled, on the side chat players are usually saying which town is P1 or A1 (that is priority 1 and attack priority 1) etc..

If you want to see the game shine then play on summer holidays there are some events and intermissions that the Devs allow you to try different equipment.

Edited by pbveteran

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What pittpete said, join a squad ASAP. Axis has a lot of great squads to join, they will drag u around and teach you the tips and tricks needed to find action and stay alive... that is unless AEF is around, then you will die a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join a squad if you decide to stick with one side ,even if you plan on moving between both Axis and Allied joining a squad will be in your and your friends best interest ,Stick with defensive missions as of right now till you learn the ropes.

It's a lot easier letting the enemy come to you then running to them . Also its harder to get answers from other players when on attack . 

Stay in town don't run and get to far from town , same goes when you drive a Tank , all that is for devensive missions till you learn how the game works and you become more aware. Otherwiseyou will just fall prey to long time players and you will get frustrated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Community in this game seems very nice and welcoming. I was asking questions in the Side channel in the game and people were very helpful with explaining things.

So does the Allies use similar channels like Axis?

10 - Ground Forces

20 - Air Force

30 - Navy

So far I've mostly played Axis. I tried a few different things besides the Infantry, like the Opel Blitz cause I wanted to resupply people (figured that would be a good role for a newbie) as well as the tanks (but got blown up before I could see enemy) and the AT guns (which I really enjoyed).

I'm a bit undecided what faction and/or branch I want to focus on because I haven't tried it all yet! So far I am just testing the German stuff.

Some of you mentioned being unable to create Squads. Actually I was able to make a Squad but I don't have enough friends who play this game to form it. Seems the minimum needed is an XO + 3 members. While you can't do that as part of the Free To Play 'subscription' the game actually gives you 2 weeks of 'Full Access' as part of a trial for the game when you are registering as a new user.

So this means I have another 11-12 days of 'Full Access' to try things out before I need to subscribe. Granted, the lack of ranks is preventing me from using some equipment (really wanted to try the 50mm PaK, but it was Rank 2).

Anyways, looking forward to more fights today.

Much to learn and many things to try! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ghroznak said:

Thanks a lot for all the replies.

Community in this game seems very nice and welcoming. I was asking questions in the Side channel in the game and people were very helpful with explaining things.

So does the Allies use similar channels like Axis?

10 - Ground Forces

20 - Air Force

30 - Navy

So far I've mostly played Axis. I tried a few different things besides the Infantry, like the Opel Blitz cause I wanted to resupply people (figured that would be a good role for a newbie) as well as the tanks (but got blown up before I could see enemy) and the AT guns (which I really enjoyed).

I'm a bit undecided what faction and/or branch I want to focus on because I haven't tried it all yet! So far I am just testing the German stuff.

Some of you mentioned being unable to create Squads. Actually I was able to make a Squad but I don't have enough friends who play this game to form it. Seems the minimum needed is an XO + 3 members. While you can't do that as part of the Free To Play 'subscription' the game actually gives you 2 weeks of 'Full Access' as part of a trial for the game when you are registering as a new user.

So this means I have another 11-12 days of 'Full Access' to try things out before I need to subscribe. Granted, the lack of ranks is preventing me from using some equipment (really wanted to try the 50mm PaK, but it was Rank 2).

Anyways, looking forward to more fights today.

Much to learn and many things to try! :)

Allies has 33 for ground forces and 55 for air. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I have another question...

If me and 2-3 friends want to attack an FB and I spawn an Opel Blitz to transport my friends closer to avoid having to run on foot for miles... how can I join my friends in the actual attack?

From what I could deduce after playing the Opel Blitz yesterday I was basically stuck in the Opel and couldn't leave it. All I could do was drive around and park next to tanks or infantry to rearm them.

Is there a way for me to leave the Opel and quickly get to my friends to help in an attack or would I need to run on foot to them (optionally get someone else to drive me there)?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way to do that would be to build an FMS, assuming the mission does not already have one and you are within the target range limit,  despawn the truck, spawn as infantry at the FMS and then join your mates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

The only way to do that would be to build an FMS, assuming the mission does not already have one and you are within the target range limit,  despawn the truck, spawn as infantry at the FMS and then join your mates.

So a mission can only have one FMS?

Will the first one disappear if I build a second one, or will the game just prevent me from building it ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ghroznak said:

So a mission can only have one FMS?

Will the first one disappear if I build a second one, or will the game just prevent me from building it ?

First FMS will disapear...no timer ,so you can just replace the FMS when you feel like it...

 

Cya at the pixel front .

 

S!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for confirming.

So don't build new FMS while on a mission without first asking to avoid trolling the rest of the guys on same mission... gotcha :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's not a defended FB, drive your friends out as an opel, with them as engineers. Then they can resupply off you to blow up the entire place.

 

And yes, join a squad and get on teamspeak. Teamspeak makes the game 200x better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ghroznak said:

So I have another question...

If me and 2-3 friends want to attack an FB and I spawn an Opel Blitz to transport my friends closer to avoid having to run on foot for miles... how can I join my friends in the actual attack?

From what I could deduce after playing the Opel Blitz yesterday I was basically stuck in the Opel and couldn't leave it. All I could do was drive around and park next to tanks or infantry to rearm them.

Is there a way for me to leave the Opel and quickly get to my friends to help in an attack or would I need to run on foot to them (optionally get someone else to drive me there)?

Or, you could join a mission with plenty of engineers in supply , or even the K98 riflemen, (though they only get one HE satchel and not four,) and you could sit in the vehicle spawn waiting for them to spawn on that mission.

To tell them what mission to join, type  "$ miss" without the quotes or space between the dollar sign and the text. So long as the mission is from the same AB, and there is no FMS, they'll spawn at the AB next to you. If the mission has an FMS, you could drive to it to get them, or have them uncheck the box next to "mobile spawn" in the main mission screen and they'll spawn at the AB instead of the FMS.

 

Then, drive them!~

 

This game is all about objectives. When a mission is made, it has an origin and a target. The "Active Battles" tab was added a while ago to facilitate players finding action more quickly, and it works.

 

I disagree with pbveteran on his first point though, because regardless of what unit you are using, if you are out in the middle of nowhere and get an MIA, that unit is gone for a long time. There's a whole resupply mechanic at work here, and if I'm not mistaken, if your side has 100% of it's production capabilities intact, (the factories,) it takes 8 hours for the unit to be replaced in the spawn list. More damage to factories, (RDP bombing does this,) and the timer gets longer.

 

I don't care if I'm in a Panzer 38t, a 3F, or whatever, I try to RTB or at least get a RES (rescued,).

If everyone took the attitude that "it's only a 38t." then the list would be cleared of 38ts in no time and even the 38t is better for cutting a bunker than an LMG.

Better than NO tanks!

 

It's not too much to turn the vehicle around and drive 500M to RTB usually.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with VasDuten. Don't waste supply unless you cannot avoid it.

 

And welcome to the game! Kiss your real life goodbye!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also  if you make a mission from town to an FB and you set a FMS  and decide to join your friends in the attack of the FB , once the FB is destroyed your FMS will dissappear if your target set was the FB in itself hence you and friends will be stranded in no man's land and either.

A- run back to town

B- one despawns and gets an Opel to drive you guys back

C- despawn and loose the units for a certain amount of time out of the spawnpool. 

Also worth mentioning an attack on a FB does not mean you will run into any enemy, often FB are undefeated depending on the situation of the map. 

But any FB that does get taken down is welcomed and appreciated. 

You can also look at the statues of an FB's wellbeing by bringing up the Map then in the chat bar type .ow and click onto the FB ,it will turn green and give you a statues report like Vehicle damage 40% and Inf damage 20% for example.

Also important is do not stand in the Vehicle spawn when it does blow you will get killed.

Vehicle spawn takes 8 charges when put onto the 1st 4 inside poles just offset from the middle , Inf spawn will take 16 charges if I'm not mistaken . These need to be HE charges not HEAT , Heat are used to blow up tanks.

 

 

If I see you online next time I will get in contact with you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.