• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
XOOM

Join Discord, replacing Teamspeak.

82 posts in this topic

52 minutes ago, rubbish said:

Joined but have no privileges to enter or view any channels

This is expected we'll have to assign some privs when you first get started. We do that so we can mark who is allied vs who is axis so we can keep the comms channels as secure as possible.

I just added some for you thought :). 

Can you remove the requirement for Push to Talk? I use a Laptop for my Voice communications and my PC for Gaming so I can adjust the volume on the fly and independently. Now I can no longer communicate without a voice activation, setting up a button on the Laptop is not feasible.

5 hours ago, Towdak said:

Can you remove the requirement for Push to Talk? I use a Laptop for my Voice communications and my PC for Gaming so I can adjust the volume on the fly and independently. Now I can no longer communicate without a voice activation, setting up a button on the Laptop is not feasible.

Actually having PTT only was one of the benefits I would have said for Discord. Your situation may be different from the majority, but so many times there are people who have had their microphone running and the rest of our guys have suffered for it.

I use a laptop for both my PC and Mac with a PTT button and I don't have any issue?

In any event, a compromise may be to allow "Allied or Axis" roles (who are considered legit members of the community) to have access to this function. Let me consider it a little bit and I'll report back.

For now, the transition phase is pretty open for people and getting the comms discipline in order is working.

S! 

7 hours ago, XOOM said:

This is expected we'll have to assign some privs when you first get started. We do that so we can mark who is allied vs who is axis so we can keep the comms channels as secure as possible.

I just added some for you thought :). 

good show, agree with you about the default PTT rule - is there going to be a central point of contact for discord issues in future?

13 minutes ago, rubbish said:

good show, agree with you about the default PTT rule - is there going to be a central point of contact for discord issues in future?

Heavy265 is temporarily on leave, much deserved and no worries.

The support forums will do otherwise inside of the channels as well. Is there a specific inquiry we can help with?

15 minutes ago, krazydog said:

Why is CRS proposing a switch to Discord?

What was wrong with Teamspeak?

JUSTIFICATIONS FOR MOVE TO DISCORD

• Discord is 100% FREE.
  • Discord has no space limitations, our TS servers had maximum "slot" counts.
  • Discord will help us keep players connected regardless of the other games you might play.
  • Discord is much easier to use and we have a whole support database supporting us.
  • Discord is multiplatform (PC / Mac / iOS / Android / Linux) and even Browser (though limited in functionality).
  • Discord has web hook integrations, which will allow us to expand live campaign notifications to all platforms.
  • With Discord, high command can let you know when a major campaign event is taking place.
  • With Discord, CRS can keep you in the loop with development updates more rapidly.
  • Discord allows integrations like Twitch / Youtube and other services. Players can easily Stream / promote game.
  • Screen share and video is coming, allowing you to share your activity with your squad and other players.
  • There is a very simple text interface that connects the whole server together, no more isolation.
  • Active development and expansion into future technologies is underway.
  • There is an integrated voice solution which we are investigating, potential tie in for in/out of game comms (NO PROMISES ON THIS!!!).
  • "Playing other game" icon will allow us to gather new players via exposing our brand to other communities.

I don't post often, but after messing around trying to get this DISCORD program connected,  which my computer (a six month old ASUS gaming computer) keeps putting up an error message and a dumb arse error log, this program looks like a difficult to use  POS compared to teamspeak.  I'm not to thrilled at the moment.  Looks like a lot of us will be searching out some free teamspeak channels.   

Just now, colsmith said:

I don't post often, but after messing around trying to get this DISCORD program connected,  which my computer (a six month old ASUS gaming computer) keeps putting up an error message and a dumb arse error log, this program looks like a difficult to use  POS compared to teamspeak.  I'm not to thrilled at the moment.  Looks like a lot of us will be searching out some free teamspeak channels.   

I'm sorry to hear that @colsmith, we have heard some good stuff and some "uncomfortable" with moving comments.

We've been on teamspeak for a very long time, this doesn't surprise me that there will need to be a transition period for everyone to get connected.

For you and any others who may be experiencing troubles, their support team has been REALLY great in all of my experiences so far.

Contact them and they'll get you sorted out: http://support.discordapp.com

On HC business, there are times, rare but very needed, where we need to contact the other side to resolve issues.

Probably about 1/4 of those go away with ToEs, but most issues have to do with AOs, such as surrenders that should take place due to bugged circumstances or other questions/problems with AO placement. 

I'm not sure a hard-coded  'dedicated side' administration serves the game best for HCs faced with these sort of issues, or for players especially new ones that may be bouncing back and forth before they decide on a 'home'.

Am I reading something into the above statements?

Edited by Kilemall

Just now, Kilemall said:

On HC business, there are times, rare but very needed, where we need to contact the other side to resolve issues.

Probably about 1/4 of those go away with ToEs, but most issues have to do with AOs, such as surrenders that should take place due to bugged circumstances or other questions/problems with AO placement. 

I'm not sure a hard-coded  'dedicated side' administration serves the game best for HCs faced with these sort of issues, or for players especially new ones that may be bouncing back and forth before they decide on a 'home'.

Am I reading something into the above statements?

We will work on bridging that as best as we can. That's a more specific requirement but this tool is flexible enough for us to accommodate such a need. And, we'll learn as we go along what to do for you guys that makes the most sense. That is something we're willing to do as well, listen to feedback and make adjustments, kind of like in our routine development of the game :).

Thanks for the fast response Xoom.  I can see a few positives for switching that you mentioned.

however, I will have to look into it more before I switch- I certainly dont want to install anything that is going to send push notifications to me when I am outside the game.  

For example I dont want to give this discord program my private email address or facebook.  That is a no go for me.

If the program offers a public webspace  that I can check outside the game to recieve game updates - then that is good - but I will not give it any personal info if it demands that on the install.  A nice thing about TS is it respects user privacy.

Edited by krazydog

I installed Discord a few weeks ago because a squaddie said we should all try it out.

I used it the one time, and went to start it up to find WWIIOL's channels... and it won't load. It just crashes.

I'll have to uninstall/reinstall.

I do NOT like the PTT locked on function.

I hate PTT.

I can understand why you'd want to do that, but all anyone has to do is mute a player whose mic is open, or a mod can boot them.

FREE VOICE ACTIVATION!

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, krazydog said:

Thanks for the fast response Xoom.  I can see a few positives for switching that you mentioned.

however, I will have to look into it more before I switch- I certainly dont want to install anything that is going to send push notifications to me when I am outside the game.  

For example I dont want to give this discord program my private email address or facebook.  That is a no go for me.

If the program offers a public webspace  that I can check outside the game to recieve game updates - then that is good - but I will not give it any personal info if it demands that on the install.  A nice thing about TS is it respects user privacy.

You can turn off notifications, it is default opt-in but that's easy to adjust. In terms of your e-mail address that's up to you, decide what you want.

It is a very flexible tool, no tool is absolutely perfect but we need to be willing to adapt and keep our game going.

We could have continued on with Teamspeak 3 (sure) but we'd be missing out on a lot of other stuff.

In time, we will see the difference, today is really Day 1. Patience and a minimal learning curve is required. It is far more simplistic to use and offers lots of the same functionality (and a heck of a lot more).

Just now, vasduten1 said:

I installed Discord a few weeks ago because a squaddie said we should all try it out.

I used it the one time, and went to start it up to find WWIIOL's channels... and it won't load. It just crashes.

I'll have to uninstall/reinstall.

I do NOT like the PTT locked on function.

I hate PTT.

I can understand why you'd want to do that, but all anyone has to do is mute a player whose mic is open, or a mod can boot them.

FREE VOICE ACTIVATION!

Again when we know there is a more legit player, there is a strong possibility we'll provide rights to that. We're concerned with the abusers at the moment. I'll have an answer on this by tomorrow.

same here, I got it to work once, had icon  on desktop  and clicked it and it WONT LOAD  , so I just uninstalled  once again, and probably not going  to download it again till bugs are worked out

37 minutes ago, xcas said:

same here, I got it to work once, had icon  on desktop  and clicked it and it WONT LOAD  , so I just uninstalled  once again, and probably not going  to download it again till bugs are worked out

We need more details to help understand and provide a solution. Specs and step by step procedure 

No offense to anyone who likes it, but for me Discord is crizzap.  I put my TS window on a secondary monitor, to the right of my main display.  I can narrow it down to a single column, which I place on the left side of that screen, right next to the main (game) display.  I can see who's talking, out of the corner of my eye and it leaves the rest of that monitor open for any other information, images, et cetera I want to have handy while ingame.  With Discord, I have to have three columns on my display if I want to be able to see text chat, which takes up a larger part of my screen.  That's TOTALLY stupid as the text chat is in the middle column, but Discord makes me expand the list of people online (right column) before I can expand text chat.  There is also the "avatar" image showing next to every player's name in Discord.  That's stupid!  The images are too small to see anything on them.  They have ZERO functionality.  Yet they take up more room on my screen.

Adding to that, I can't switch text to only get chat from the voice channel I'm on, so instead I have to see everyone's text, which is TOTALLY unnecessary and very distracting during my normal play.  On TS, if I have a squaddie without a microphone, but who is listening, he can still send text messages only to folks on our voice channel, and we'll see them at the bottom of the column.  I also can't "poke" or text chat with an individual player, from what I can tell.  Goodbye to 100% of the ingame text chat functionality!

It seems most of the benefits of Discord aren't ingame benefits for players.

> Discord is 100% FREE.

Great for Rats (big benefit, agreed), but no benefit to players, ingame.

> Discord has no space limitations, our TS servers had maximum "slot" counts.

Voice chat (TS3) is WAY under-utilized, as it is.   Adding additional TS servers may not have even been needed, when the game was released on Steam.  Besides, Steam has it's OWN voice chat, which most of the Steam users will be aware of.

> Discord will help us keep players connected regardless of the other games you might play.

Again, no ingame benefit for players.  In fact, seeing friends connected to other games will be more likely to make players LEAVE WWIIOL to go play the other game with their friends than it will to bring players TO the game.

> Discord is much easier to use and we have a whole support database supporting us.

For the player, I can not see anything easier about Discord.  I can see some missing functions, though, which TS3 has but Discord doesn't.

> Discord is multiplatform (PC / Mac / iOS / Android / Linux) and even Browser (though limited in functionality).

This could be a benefit for someone who has a slower computer, so hooks up their smart phone for ingame chat.  Hope they have a good data plan.  :)

> Discord has web hook integrations, which will allow us to expand live campaign notifications to all platforms.

Again, no ingame benefit for players.

> With Discord, high command can let you know when a major campaign event is taking place.

Again, no ingame benefit for players.  Unless a significant number of players stay signed into Discord 100% of the time they're on their computers, this will likely make little difference.  Email me at least a day before the event and I'll be MUCH more likely to get it.

> With Discord, CRS can keep you in the loop with development updates more rapidly.

> Discord allows integrations like Twitch / Youtube and other services. Players can easily Stream / promote game.

> Screen share and video is coming, allowing you to share your activity with your squad and other players.

> There is a very simple text interface that connects the whole server together, no more isolation.

Isolation is GOOD.  Too much text chatter is BAD.  Chatter for folks not on your voice channel is BAD.  It distracts players and makes it impossible for a squaddie without a microphone to communicate important info ingame ONLY to his mates, such as location of enemies and planned squad ops (such as "truck leaving FB - need engineers").

> Active development and expansion into future technologies is underway.

> There is an integrated voice solution which we are investigating, potential tie in for in/out of game comms (NO PROMISES ON THIS!!!).

Possible future benefit...but none at present.

> "Playing other game" icon will allow us to gather new players via exposing our brand to other communities.

Again, unless WWIIOL becomes THE game to play, this is more likely to draw players AWAY from the game than to the game.

It seems as if we need a hammer.  TS3 is a decent hammer.  Discord is a tool belt.  Sure, there's a hammer in there somewhere, but finding it, separating it from the rest of the tools, and carrying the weight of all the rest of the tools around all day leaves little actual benefit, ingame, for the users, where it has a number of potential drawbacks.

Just my $.02...

-Irish

54 minutes ago, odonovan1 said:

I can see who's talking, out of the corner of my eye and it leaves the rest of that monitor open for any other information

Discord has a functional in game overlay which allows you to see - in game (on the same screen) - who's talking (can either show every person on channel, or only those who are talking).  Completely removing any need for a second monitor to see who's talking - so benefit.

I also can't "poke" or text chat with an individual player, from what I can tell.

You can in fact send private messages with discord......

On TS, if I have a squaddie without a microphone, but who is listening, he can still send text messages only to folks on our voice channel, and we'll see them at the bottom of the column.

Would texting not be more functional by using the actual in-game squad chat (f4) rather than a 3rd party app (regardless of which it is).. 

> Discord is 100% FREE.

Great for Rats (big benefit, agreed), but no benefit to players, ingame.

Resources not used in one place can be re-allocated to elsewhere.... so benefit

> Discord has no space limitations, our TS servers had maximum "slot" counts.

So wait until we hit the TS hard limit then change?

> Discord has web hook integrations, which will allow us to expand live campaign notifications to all platforms.

several of our comdev pages use in game hooks to generate content, while none are yet setup for discord, there are a number of possibilities for use.   

> With Discord, high command can let you know when a major campaign event is taking place.

Again, no ingame benefit for players.  Unless a significant number of players stay signed into Discord 100% of the time they're on their computers, this will likely make little difference.

Though it does make it possible (if anyone uses the phone app) to put out a real time notice of impending issues.  Though you are correct would need players to have the app running... - so potential benefit

> Discord allows integrations like Twitch / Youtube and other services. Players can easily Stream / promote game.

There are community members who post vids/stream from time to time, so maybe not for you specifically, but for the overall playerbase - benefit.  

> "Playing other game" icon will allow us to gather new players via exposing our brand to other communities.

Again, unless WWIIOL becomes THE game to play, this is more likely to draw players AWAY from the game than to the game.

This works both ways - one of the things I often hear from new squad members is that they have never heard of the game.  I'm of the (PERSONAL) opinion that anything done to expose potential customers to the game is a good thing.  

8 minutes ago, B2K said:

I can see who's talking, out of the corner of my eye and it leaves the rest of that monitor open for any other information

Discord has a functional in game overlay which allows you to see - in game (on the same screen) - who's talking (can either show every person on channel, or only those who are talking).  Completely removing any need for a second monitor to see who's talking - so benefit.

This is for Windows only. Feature is not available for MacOS

post number nine of mine in 14 years (so this discord thing sucks and had pissed me off, i really am not a forum troll))....I researched some of the notes about Discord on the internet and I can find few advantages  (and many problems) of their program.  I did get it working after working a total of two  and a half hours in three shifts.  The app refused to open up, and I had to open it in my browser.  Because of this, I tried repeatedly to download and complete the set-up,   I have about three user names  under different e-mail accounts due to these downloading problems. Finally,  after closing the program in my tray on the lower right hand side of my computer and performing a re-start, it seems to work.  My computer using skills are average and I am sure Discord problems will plague our player base for a long while. After researching some of the pros and cons, I believe teamspeak may be the better option for many of the current subscribers.  I have researched some free teamspeak servers on older games that are not played much and there are many teamspeak slots that can be utilized at present with a SIMPLE url change and  password.  This may be the only option if other people continue to have problems with Discord  (the name really makes sense).

Irish, you say "no in-game benefit" to almost every feature. That might be true, but the game survives because people come back to play it and are integrated into a community. Discord is great for that. I am not a great gamer and I am currently subscribed to three discord channels- LOT, my squad's, and WWIIOL. That means that when I am connected to discord (which is 24/7, because I also use the phone app), I can talk to these people, no matter whether they are currently subscribed to ww2online or not.

Had we had discord 15 years go, you would now be able to simply PM anyone that has played wwiionline even if they have moved on to a sequence of 5 different games. Discord is great for the community. Look at the discord channel now. There are 70 people online that you can PM, 11 of them are playing the game.

1 person likes this