• Announcements

    • CHIMM

      ***Expected Outage Scheduled*** 7 day Notice   12/15/2019

      Next Sunday, December 22nd 2019 outage and cut-over will START AT 9AM PACIFIC TIME or 5:00 PM GMT. All services will be effected for 24 +/- hours as announced in our previous article. Game server physically relocated  Website and critical data relocated Configure the game server all critical services to new ISP's We appreciate everyone's patience and understanding during this transition, our goal is to minimize server downtime. Official communications/status will be posted via Axis and Allied Discord, and FaceBook during outage. ***Effective that day, server time will be considered Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8), not US Central (CST) as it is now.***
XOOM

Join Discord, replacing Teamspeak.

82 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, scking said:

I really hope CRS continues to investigate in game voice comms.. 

I agree. New player retention is vital to this game and voice comms will definitely help. Imagine new players trying to deal with this Discord setup while they are dealing with the steep learning curve of this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tigger6 said:

Had we had discord 15 years go, you would now be able to simply PM anyone that has played wwiionline even if they have moved on to a sequence of 5 different games. Discord is great for the community. Look at the discord channel now. There are 70 people online that you can PM, 11 of them are playing the game.

11 players playing the game doesn't represent the correct amount of players that are ACTUALLY playing the game (Of those that are on Discord). Discord doesn't recognize WWIIOL automatically. When it's on Steam, it will though. 

 

All in all, well said Tigger.

Edited by gretnine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Integrated voice communications is absolutely still on the table. We want that as a priority, but we always had intended to have an out of game solution to keep the community connected. This fits that bill.

The justifications for these changes are posted here: http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/index.php/component/content/article/23-reports/16370-discord-is-replacing-teamspeak-3

We will continue to work on this and help players get more comfortable / used to this. It will take some time because it's a little different, I get all of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, rsix said:

I agree. New player retention is vital to this game and voice comms will definitely help. Imagine new players trying to deal with this Discord setup while they are dealing with the steep learning curve of this game.

Note that discord is a de-facto standard voice communication software, haven't I believe overtaken all others in numbers. New players are more likely to have discord set-up than anything else.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 7:37 PM, xcas said:

same here, I got it to work once, had icon  on desktop  and clicked it and it WONT LOAD  , so I just uninstalled  once again, and probably not going  to download it again till bugs are worked out

Same happened to me. Not impressed at all. 

Glad our Squad uses our own Teamspeak client. I think I've been on Allied TS twice in the last year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 6:16 PM, XOOM said:

Heavy265 is temporarily on leave, much deserved and no worries.

The support forums will do otherwise inside of the channels as well. Is there a specific inquiry we can help with?

JUSTIFICATIONS FOR MOVE TO DISCORD

  • Discord is 100% FREE.
  • Discord has no space limitations, our TS servers had maximum "slot" counts.
  • Discord will help us keep players connected regardless of the other games you might play.
  • Discord is much easier to use and we have a whole support database supporting us.
  • Discord is multiplatform (PC / Mac / iOS / Android / Linux) and even Browser (though limited in functionality).
  • Discord has web hook integrations, which will allow us to expand live campaign notifications to all platforms.
  • With Discord, high command can let you know when a major campaign event is taking place.
  • With Discord, CRS can keep you in the loop with development updates more rapidly.
  • Discord allows integrations like Twitch / Youtube and other services. Players can easily Stream / promote game.
  • Screen share and video is coming, allowing you to share your activity with your squad and other players.
  • There is a very simple text interface that connects the whole server together, no more isolation.
  • Active development and expansion into future technologies is underway.
  • There is an integrated voice solution which we are investigating, potential tie in for in/out of game comms (NO PROMISES ON THIS!!!).
  • "Playing other game" icon will allow us to gather new players via exposing our brand to other communities.

Unfortunately Discord has reliability issues.  

It is tossup.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heavy265 is temporarily on leave, much deserved and no worries.

The support forums will do otherwise inside of the channels as well. Is there a specific inquiry we can help with?

JUSTIFICATIONS FOR MOVE TO DISCORD

  • Discord is 100% FREE.
  • Discord has no space limitations, our TS servers had maximum "slot" counts.
  • Discord will help us keep players connected regardless of the other games you might play.
  • Discord is much easier to use and we have a whole support database supporting us.
  • Discord is multiplatform (PC / Mac / iOS / Android / Linux) and even Browser (though limited in functionality).
  • Discord has web hook integrations, which will allow us to expand live campaign notifications to all platforms.
  • With Discord, high command can let you know when a major campaign event is taking place.
  • With Discord, CRS can keep you in the loop with development updates more rapidly.
  • Discord allows integrations like Twitch / Youtube and other services. Players can easily Stream / promote game.
  • Screen share and video is coming, allowing you to share your activity with your squad and other players.
  • There is a very simple text interface that connects the whole server together, no more isolation.
  • Active development and expansion into future technologies is underway.
  • There is an integrated voice solution which we are investigating, potential tie in for in/out of game comms (NO PROMISES ON THIS!!!).
  • "Playing other game" icon will allow us to gather new players via exposing our brand to other communities.
  • Discord has five pages worth of complaints about it not installing or updating and it sucks ballzors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2017 at 6:24 PM, XOOM said:

Actually having PTT only was one of the benefits I would have said for Discord. Your situation may be different from the majority, but so many times there are people who have had their microphone running and the rest of our guys have suffered for it.

I use a laptop for both my PC and Mac with a PTT button and I don't have any issue?

In any event, a compromise may be to allow "Allied or Axis" roles (who are considered legit members of the community) to have access to this function. Let me consider it a little bit and I'll report back.

For now, the transition phase is pretty open for people and getting the comms discipline in order is working.

S! 

Xoom, The biggest issue is flying with a HOTAS, I am unable to push a button on my laptop at the same time. This is a huge issue for me and this adds an additional complication, which affects my enjoyment. Please reconsider this. Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to set a PTT to key and button.

For the joy map, discord/usersettings (the gear icon)/keybinds/unassigned/push to talk..... hit your joy button/done.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Growing pains. Not everything is perfect but we're making some headway, people are getting used to it, more people are engaged with our game and with each other as community members.

Progress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zeke, the problem is I use a Laptop for Voice and my PC for the game. I cannot map a Joystick button on my PC for PTT on my laptop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 2/19/2017 at 8:10AM, B2K said:

Quote

Discord has a functional in game overlay which allows you to see - in game (on the same screen) - who's talking (can either show every person on channel, or only those who are talking).  Completely removing any need for a second monitor to see who's talking - so benefit.

 

I don't WANT an overlay.  I want as small a column on the left side of my secondary monitor as possible.  I believe TS has a similar overlay available, so no benefit.

 

Quote

On TS, if I have a squaddie without a microphone, but who is listening, he can still send text messages only to folks on our voice channel, and we'll see them at the bottom of the column.

Quote

Would texting not be more functional by using the actual in-game squad chat (f4) rather than a 3rd party app (regardless of which it is)..

Not always.  If we have all our squaddies on F4 but only a half dozen on an "ops" channel on TS (such as our TS channel "FB Busting Lancers"), we only want the players on THAT TS channel to get the text info.  Otherwise, it's confusing and nobody knows who the message is for.

 

Your reply includes a lot of "benefit" lines, but my post said "in-game benefit."  Sure, there are a lot of benefits (tool belt), but not many of them are in-game benefits (hammer), which MUST be the overriding purpose of ingame communication.  If our ingame communication becomes social media, it's taking away from the game itself to promote communication OUTSIDE the game.

 

Also, if you have 20 friends on Steam and three of them play WWIIOL, what happens when you see eight or ten of your friends on another game?  Are you more likely to get them to come to WWIIOL or are you more likely to leave the game to go play the game THEY'RE playing?  Hint, it's the second one.  Unless WWIIOL becomes THE game to play on Steam, where it can attract other players in droves, players already ingame are more likely to go elsewhere to play with their other clan mates if they see a number of them playing a different game.  It's just human nature.

 

 

 

-Irish

Edited by odonovan1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I've seen last weekend, the move to Discord was a pure success. Until late EU hours I've seen roughly 140-180 people online on discord. It doesn't necessarily mean they as well were playing at the same time but this is potentially 100 users and more than you could address on teamspeak at the same time. Yesterday, by accident - when working permissions, I noticed that there were over 300 user accounts on the allied server alone already.

I even saw chatter, that guys returned the last weekend after they noted that we moved to Discord. It was the only reason for them to check in. There was one guy who stated that he hasn't been playing in 12 years!

And this is the benefit which I see as most important especially as squad CO - stay in touch with your squad mates. Discord makes it really easy.

Will it take time to get used to it? No doubts! Will it take time to fully explore Discord's potential? Definitely!

You can't teach an old dog new tricks. Yet we should open up to innovation if we do not want to fall behind. And we have fallen behind already witch such a nieche game. Time to open up!

 

bb

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discord is a lot less flexible than TS.... Overlay is a pain in the backside and cannot be modified other than large/small text.

Can't even drag the overlay window in wwiionline for some reason, unlike all other games I currently have.

Usually, I find that for every negative aspect there is of the game, there is at least 1 or 2 positive points. For me, this discord issue is the tipping point.
Later today I will be giving it one last attempt at sorting it out, if it doesn't work, I will be joining Vasduten on a leave of absence.

Discord is a software I have had to use for other games, which was fine as it did not required the flexibility ts3 offers but I find the options I enjoyed in ts3 to be game changing for wwiionline.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/21/2017 at 1:50 PM, BIERBAER said:

Will it take time to get used to it? No doubts! Will it take time to fully explore Discord's potential? Definitely!

 

 

1 hour ago, schweize said:

Discord is a lot less flexible than TS.... Overlay is a pain in the backside and cannot be modified other than large/small text.

Can't even drag the overlay window in wwiionline for some reason, unlike all other games I currently have.

Usually, I find that for every negative aspect there is of the game, there is at least 1 or 2 positive points. For me, this discord issue is the tipping point.
Later today I will be giving it one last attempt at sorting it out, if it doesn't work, I will be joining Vasduten on a leave of absence.

Discord is a software I have had to use for other games, which was fine as it did not required the flexibility ts3 offers but I find the options I enjoyed in ts3 to be game changing for wwiionline.

 

Regarding your overlay issue. Are you using the same resolution in-game that your monitor is set? This can create problems with dragging the overlay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gretnine said:

 

Regarding your overlay issue. Are you using the same resolution in-game that your monitor is set? This can create problems with dragging the overlay.

I use different resolutions for different games, wwiionline I do indeed use my native resolution.
Have you been able to drag the overlay?

Dragging is not the only issue, I cant seem to click on anything belonging to the overlay, and yes, only in wwiionline does this issue happen for me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Annnnd, the TS channels have the PWs changed, which means Discord or nothing.  "SLAM!" goes the door.  The official word was the TS servers would be coming down "eventually."  I wish eventually was EVER that quick when one of my bosses said I'd "get a raise, eventually."

 

It hasn't even been two weeks since the first announcement.  There are very likely players who have been gone from the game and forums for that long or longer, who will be coming back and trying the TS servers, not knowing any better.  There are even players still having problems with Discord, who can't use it.  Was it REALLY necessary to shut down TS THIS quickly?  I feel as if I'm being force-fed a bitter food, like I was a little child again, being made to "eat what I put in front of you."  That hasn't happened in over 50 years, so it's a bit disquieting.

Yeah, I'm sure we will all "eventually" get Discord working and get used to it.  We'll "eventually" stop missing the features we used to enjoy.  We may even get used to watching players leave our game because a few of their clan mates are getting on another game together and now they can see them.  Let's see...  If we can see other players we know, can they see US?  Can they then send private messages/whispers/pages/tells/whatever to us, while we're playing WWIIOL?  That will be great for those playing a number of games, with a large friend list.  They'll be getting PMs all the time, while they're trying to listen for footsteps inside a CP or listen for audio to find where that enemy truck is going to place their FMS.  That ought to work just DANDY!  *sigh*  I sense a train wreck coming.  I've been doing online games for about 25 years, since before there was a commercially available internet.  I usually have a very good feel for these things.  I do hope I'm wrong.

 

 

 

-Irish

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, schweize said:

I use different resolutions for different games, wwiionline I do indeed use my native resolution.
Have you been able to drag the overlay?

Dragging is not the only issue, I cant seem to click on anything belonging to the overlay, and yes, only in wwiionline does this issue happen for me.

 

I don't personally use the overlay myself, but squad mate (Rans) managed to move it after messing around a bit. If i remember, i'll ask him later today. 

Researched little regarding the overlay issues. Dumb question, but have you pressed "toggle overlay button" before you've been trying to drag the interface? Also people with dragging issues have been able to move it by dragging the overlay from one of the top corners. 

I'll try to mess around with the overlay when I get off from work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gretnine said:

I don't personally use the overlay myself, but squad mate (Rans) managed to move it after messing around a bit. If i remember, i'll ask him later today. 

Researched little regarding the overlay issues. Dumb question, but have you pressed "toggle overlay button" before you've been trying to drag the interface? Also people with dragging issues have been able to move it by dragging the overlay from one of the top corners. 

I'll try to mess around with the overlay when I get off from work. 

I have been using discord for a while for other games where the TS3 flexibility isn't as big of a factor and have never had an issue moving overlay other than in wwiionline.
I tried to toggle, reinstal, change toggle switch, open/close in admin mode but I only seem to have this issue in this one game.

I know I will never be able to remove the ugly huge logo that comes with the discord overlay but I just can't seem to figure out why I am having such a huge issue trying to drag the overlay in wwiionline. Not only can i not drag the overlay, I cant click on any of its functions unlike when I use it in other games.

I appreciate your help Gretnine.
Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, odonovan1 said:

 Let's see...  If we can see other players we know, can they see US?  Can they then send private messages/whispers/pages/tells/whatever to us, while we're playing WWIIOL?  That will be great for those playing a number of games, with a large friend list.  They'll be getting PMs all the time, while they're trying to listen for footsteps inside a CP or listen for audio to find where that enemy truck is going to place their FMS.  That ought to work just DANDY!  *sigh*  I sense a train wreck coming.  I've been doing online games for about 25 years, since before there was a commercially available internet.  I usually have a very good feel for these things.  I do hope I'm wrong.

 

-Irish

Yes, others can see you and what games you are playing (Mostly for Steam, uPlay or Origin games that Discord can detect). Yes, they can Direct Message (PM) you or mention you (@nickname) in the channel, but all of these you can disable. You can make your status as "Invisible", disable any notification sounds regarding new messages, direct messages or mentions. So whats the problem?

Edited by gretnine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, schweize said:

I have been using discord for a while for other games where the TS3 flexibility isn't as big of a factor and have never had an issue moving overlay other than in wwiionline.
I tried to toggle, reinstal, change toggle switch, open/close in admin mode but I only seem to have this issue in this one game.

I know I will never be able to remove the ugly huge logo that comes with the discord overlay but I just can't seem to figure out why I am having such a huge issue trying to drag the overlay in wwiionline. Not only can i not drag the overlay, I cant click on any of its functions unlike when I use it in other games.

I appreciate your help Gretnine.
Cheers.

I'm pretty sure the biggest issue that seem to be causing problems with the overlay is that WW2OL isn't "whitelisted (supported?) by Discord yet. I wouldn't be surprised if CRS has already been in talks with the Discord devs. About the logo, yeah it's unfortunate. I read that the people at Discord has no plans to let users disable to logo, but maybe make it transparent in the future. 

 

I'll try and get back to you later today if i get/find some answers regarding the dragging issue. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gretnine said:

I'm pretty sure the biggest issue that seem to be causing problems with the overlay is that WW2OL isn't "whitelisted (supported?) by Discord yet. I wouldn't be surprised if CRS has already been in talks with the Discord devs. About the logo, yeah it's unfortunate. I read that the people at Discord has no plans to let users disable to logo, but maybe make it transparent in the future. 

 

I'll try and get back to you later today if i get/find some answers regarding the dragging issue. 

Great, I look forward to the update.

I have also been hoping for some time that discord will implement a way to modify text opacity/tranparency but not sure if that is in the pipeline anytime soon.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, schweize said:

Great, I look forward to the update.

I have also been hoping for some time that discord will implement a way to modify text opacity/tranparency but not sure if that is in the pipeline anytime soon.....

You can always talk to the discord devs:
Hide overlay icon

I still don't understand what is this TS3 flexibility, unless you are talking about ArmaX+ACRE integration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Tigger6 said:

You can always talk to the discord devs:
Hide overlay icon

I still don't understand what is this TS3 flexibility, unless you are talking about ArmaX+ACRE integration.

in TS3 you could chose from various different types of overlay, you could have a preference, thus flexibility.
In Discord, you get what you are given.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, schweize said:

in TS3 you could chose from various different types of overlay, you could have a preference, thus flexibility.
In Discord, you get what you are given.

So the complaint is only about the overlay? (I've never actually used it so I of course subjectively don't see the value)

We have ~200 new users. If all go complain to discord, they are likely to do something about it quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.