XOOM

Join Discord, replacing Teamspeak.

82 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Tigger6 said:

So the complaint is only about the overlay? (I've never actually used it so I of course subjectively don't see the value)

We have ~200 new users. If all go complain to discord, they are likely to do something about it quickly.

Yes, my issue is the overlay. Might not be an important feature to you or some, but it certainly is to me.
Discord was forced onto us, not my job to start hunting down the discord devs.

25 minutes ago, schweize said:

Yes, my issue is the overlay. Might not be an important feature to you or some, but it certainly is to me.
Discord was forced onto us, not my job to start hunting down the discord devs.

I thought TS3 overlay never worked anymore?

Just now, monsjoex said:

I thought TS3 overlay never worked anymore?

worked like a charm. Was also very flexible, could change text size, opacity, could move individual boxes around the screen etc etc.
Discord, just one big blob to use.

35 minutes ago, Tigger6 said:

So the complaint is only about the overlay? (I've never actually used it so I of course subjectively don't see the value)

We have ~200 new users. If all go complain to discord, they are likely to do something about it quickly.

Complaint added.

Any other topics?  Just spam it with 200 users and they'll fix it.

@schweize Alright. Played with the overlay a little myself. So the problem is definitely that WW2OL isn't supported yet when it comes to the overlay.  So first off, make sure (manually) that WW2OL is detected by Discord. The overlay won't even show up before you do this (I'm sure you knew this already).

So, I couldn't move the overlay while in-game in any way (yet), but I found a workaround for now.  What I did was launch another game (In my case Overwatch that is whitelisted/supported by Discord), enabled overlay for it and moved it there to preferred position. The position of the overlay seems to stay where ever you put it, regardless of the game. I know it sucks to do it this way, but if its possible for you to set up the overlay in another game, at least there's a way. 

I'll get back to you when and if I hear/find a way to move it in-game (WW2OL).

Edited by gretnine

Yeah same, I assume you cannot move the overlay in game and use the additional in game functionality while the game is not officially supported by discord. That's the reason why there are whitelisted games. So you won't have any working in game functions of Discord either (its not clickable).

I only did this once as it worked right away when I did it: In order to move it, hit the key stroke to toggle overlay when in game. Alt tab to Desktop, you still should see the overlay menu. Now you can move it around. Alt tab back to the game to see if the position is to your liking. If not alt tab again. When finished hit the key stroke to toggle overlay again.

In regards to the transparent logo, I saw that there was already a request by the discord community. Unclear if it is on the roadmap or not. Subchannels [or something with a similar function] though is on the roadmap for 2017. Unclear when 2017 though from what I could find.

bb

So at this point in time, if I'm wanting to talk to fellow squad members on Discord, I need to purchase a PTT Headset ?

I'm currently using a Voice Activated Mic.

I have a feeling I know the answer...

1 minute ago, private116 said:

So at this point in time, if I'm wanting to talk to fellow squad members on Discord, I need to purchase a PTT Headset ?

Why can't you bind your Push to talk to a keyboard? or to your mouse?

if you have a voice activated mic, your channel can be modified to have that option.

2 minutes ago, private116 said:

No, just use some key. I have an extra button on the mouse that I use, and one of the joystick buttons, and F11 as a backup.

Where can I get help with this app?  There was a crash on install and now I get this error when I try to run Discord

A Java Script error occurred in the main process

Uncaught exception:

Error:  cannot find module "discord voice'

6 minutes ago, ärnett said:

Where can I get help with this app?  There was a crash on install and now I get this error when I try to run Discord

Uncaught exception:

Do this:

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/209099387--Windows-Installer-Update-failed-

9 minutes ago, ärnett said:

Uncaught exception:

Take the most specific error and enter it into google in double quotes. (This works for most problems you'll ever have!)

https://www.google.ch/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=nym7WNjpMuGX8QffzpjoAg&gws_rd=ssl#q="Error:++cannot+find+module+"discord+voice'+"&*

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/4zm1kv/error_cannot_find_module_discord_voice/

Edited by Tigger6

2 hours ago, odonovan1 said:

*HINT:  Desktops don't have "apps," they have programs or software. 

More and more developers are calling 'programs' or 'software' apps  (as in applications).  Even Microsoft.

8 hours ago, odonovan1 said:

Well, Discr@p just screwed me over, AGAIN.  I downloaded the "desktop app" the other day.  ...  Now, I went to use it and got a gray rectangle on my screen where Discr@p was supposed to be. ...

just go into the task manager, process tab, end all the discord.exe processes and relaunch

Edited by parasit

the discord logo on the overlay is really...really annoying. For someone who's 60% deaf and only hears in one ear, i rely on overlay for certain peoples voices.

1 minute ago, raven4 said:

the discord logo on the overlay is really...really annoying. For someone who's 60% deaf and only hears in one ear, i rely on overlay for certain peoples voices.

I thought I was the only one who thought it was a pain in the back side!

It doesn't need particular set-up. Default discord setup is to use the handsfree. If you don't like the set-up, feel free to make your own discord server (like 2 clicks from the interface) and have it the way you like it. I can also come and play with you using voice activation to see how you'll enjoy having your ears shattered by a screaming toddler.

(Also, I am a pilot, and fly with a lot of pilots, and they all use push to talk, so your implied usage of the universal quantifier is dicey at best.)

49 minutes ago, Tigger6 said:

It doesn't need particular set-up. Default discord setup is to use the handsfree. If you don't like the set-up, feel free to make your own discord server (like 2 clicks from the interface) and have it the way you like it. I can also come and play with you using voice activation to see how you'll enjoy having your ears shattered by a screaming toddler.

This. Stop [censored]ing about Discord and set up or purchase your own *insert VOIP app here* server and use that instead. Same people complaining over and over again. 

e. To clarify, Setting your own Discord server works too. But if even that isn't enough to please someone, you now know exactly what you can do.

Edited by gretnine

24 minutes ago, gretnine said:

This. Stop [censored]ing about Discord and set up or purchase your own *insert VOIP app here* server and use that instead. Same people complaining over and over again. 

What I was trying to say as well is that setting up your own discord server is super easy (click the big + on the left hand side). Doing that lets you set the PTT rules as you like, and still leaves you logged in to the main server unless you turn that off on purpose, letting people from it message you.

That is the point of discord. If you are on your own TS server, you are invisible. If you are on your own discord server, you aren't, you are still part of the greater community. And if you stop playing a year from now, three years from now a friend can message you if you don't want to fly with them tonight by any chance for a change. That is why this game (and others) are switching to discord.

1 minute ago, schweize said:

Getting your own TS server just completely goes against the idea of having a united community.

We have more united community right now with Discord than we had with Teamspeak. As i said, if Discord isn't to your liking, you are always free to get yourself (and your squad mates) a replacement.

1 hour ago, schweize said:

doesn't matter how many discord servers you make, a pilot will be stuck with the crappy overlay logo on the screen.

turn the overlay off?  

57 minutes ago, nozlen said:

And making everyone on a channel have to use push to talk because you have a screaming kid is just idiotic. Giving people the choice to choose push to talk or handsfree is the logical option.

Can't say I have ever seen u in the air, not saying u don't fly, just can not ever remember seeing your name on the killed or killed by list.

Talk to the admins to enable it if you want it. Sadly stats seem permanently broken, otherwise you'd see on which of the two lists my name usually resides :)

5 minutes ago, Tigger6 said:

Talk to the admins to enable it if you want it. Sadly stats seem permanently broken, otherwise you'd see on which of the two lists my name usually resides :)

What about the stats is broken?  we took a signifigant period of time to get csr functional again.