• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Hells Gate   03/24/2019

Break through the lines, and enter Hells Gate!!! This will be the next CRS organized event.  Lead by the High command from each side.
      Free Premium Access for the event
      Date: 3/30/19 Time: 11:00 AM Server time/ 12:00pm EST/ 1600 GMT
chiefbilly

Tell Me if You Find Discord to be Easy?

44 posts in this topic

I was the lucky guy so far in my squad who did not have trouble downloading and start using this Damn Discord.

However - I guess I am too old of a dog (68) to learn new tricks because I find some of the "items" in Discord are not that easy to find or can't get them to work. Ok I am

stupid.

My mates in my squad are having access issues in getting into Discord. We been to that so called help Website Xoom posted but guess what, not much help.

We will more than likely stay with Team Speak - our own server because we don't  need the aggravation of changing to something new when the old was working ok. We want to play the game and not spend a lot time TRYING TO FIGURE THIS CRAP OUT!!

49 minutes ago, chiefbilly said:

I was the lucky guy so far in my squad who did not have trouble downloading and start using this Damn Discord.

However - I guess I am too old of a dog (68) to learn new tricks because I find some of the "items" in Discord are not that easy to find or can't get them to work. Ok I am

stupid.

My mates in my squad are having access issues in getting into Discord. We been to that so called help Website Xoom posted but guess what, not much help.

We will more than likely stay with Team Speak - our own server because we don't  need the aggravation of changing to something new when the old was working ok. We want to play the game and not spend a lot time TRYING TO FIGURE THIS CRAP OUT!!

WWII Online will be switching to Discord. We are happy to spend the time necessary to support you, but yes we're going to have to ask some folks to jump out of their comfort zone to see the bigger picture. If you disagree with that, that is okay, we cannot make it perfect for everyone, and there are a couple of known issues.

We are willing to help you (and others) but we need to know what's going on and how we can do so.

This is a soft-launch and we're intentionally trying to get everyone squared away prior to dropping our Teamspeak servers.

I understand why wwii online is going to Discord. I don't blame them.

However - I think step by step instructions should be posted somewhere on how to download and use Discord.

Don't assume everyone will get it (understand it).

I find that in anything you buy or going to use that comes with instructions is helpful. But in my life a lot of times unfortunately I have had unpleasant experience of trying to follow instructions that were not well written and have left a step out.

One thing I learn in my time in the Army is - when you teach or write, you teach/write to the dumbest. Don't assume what you say or write will be understood by all.

This is why in a well written manual for an electrical product you will find where it says: "plug the AC cord into an AC outlet".

Also - another pet peve of mine is the use of symbols instead of using word to direct you to a function. The reason for this in the beginning, using symbols was for people who can't read or who don't understand the language. Well if you are reading this, if you are on the computer then you must be able to read. Using symbols to me is just being lazy. However I am sure someone will say they use symbols to save space in some applications.

I've just given up on it....whoever writes their stuff(instructions etc) sounds as if they are 4 years old.

1 person likes this

Those are the instructions I put up on our squad forums:

1) download the pc client (Mac OSX, Windows, Linux): https://discordapp.com/apps
2) launch the downloaded file and register with ww2ol username, your preferred email and password
3) go to http://forums.wwiionline.com/forums/top ... teamspeak/ and follow the invitation links
4) the client will load the server automatically
5) check your email and click the activation link

So far everyone who tried it was able to connect.

bb

2 hours ago, BIERBAER said:

Those are the instructions I put up on our squad forums:

1) download the pc client (Mac OSX, Windows, Linux): https://discordapp.com/apps
2) launch the downloaded file and register with ww2ol username, your preferred email and password
3) go to http://forums.wwiionline.com/forums/top ... teamspeak/ and follow the invitation links
4) the client will load the server automatically
5) check your email and click the activation link

So far everyone who tried it was able to connect.

bb

Thank you for writing this and posting here. This is more than I have seen so far.

you dont sun. Install the app, click on the invitation link. The server will be loaded in your app automatically. once you relaunched the app the server will be in there again.

bb

Already verified my email, but when I use the web version, I log into the server, but I dont get the overlay.  WHen I use the app, I have to go back to the server invitation, but the overlay works there.

When you launch discord there is a big german cross or allied symbol on the left hand side of the menu that you click to gain access to that channel. Took me a bit to figure that out. lol

1 person likes this

The instructions arent sufficient to gfet you where you need to go IMHO. Ive successfully downloaded Discord, and been able to get on allied server and speak with folks in channels. I clicked on Axis and was able to join, but none of the squad channelzs were listed on the left, so couldnt join.

Also, people keep talking about some overlay....where are the instructions for that?

NOT a good roll out IMHO

I know where the key binding is in the Discord app that "should" launch the overlay. However, when I use said key binding in game, no overlay appears. Not sure if I need to check some additional specs in my app to ensure overlay functionality.

Edit: did a basic search for "overlay" using the Discord help and found the following set of procedures to get it up and running.

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/217659737-Games-Overlay-101

I'll give this a shot and confirm/deny that it functions as expected.

16 minutes ago, skers said:

I know where the key binding is in the Discord app that "should" launch the overlay. However, when I use said key binding in game, no overlay appears. Not sure if I need to check some additional specs in my app to ensure overlay functionality.

Edit: did a basic search for "overlay" using the Discord help and found the following set of procedures to get it up and running.

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/217659737-Games-Overlay-101

I'll give this a shot and confirm/deny that it functions as expected.

Confirmed that the procedures in the link that I provided work as expected to get the overlay to display. There are two caveats.

1. you need to have WWII Online running when you enable the game for use with the Discord overlay.

2. when you add WWII Online, you go to User Settings > Games. On the Games window, there is a section titled "NOW PLAYING." There is a message below the games dialog box that says "Not seeing your game? Add it!" Click on the Add it! hyperlink and you can then select WWIIOL from the drop-down list box. Click DONE when you complete this step and you will then see the overlay in game.

Note that if you have problems with push to talk and/or overlay in game, it might be because your game is running as an administrator and discord is not. In that case discord does not have permissions to do it and needs to be run as administrator as well.

not for nothen, but I think its a bit intrusive showing what game Im playing and all that.  Thats really nun yo buzinezzz.  I never know when Im "offline" or everyones listening to me smack the monkey.

Overlay good, sound good me smakken monkey for all to hear, bad.

I had no trouble at all. Didn't even rtfm. Everything from CRS was just a click and it worked. I did this today so maybe it's different than it was before.

So far I have heard 3 ppl trying to communicate with  " anybody" don't know if they were successful but nobody seems to hear me even though both microphone and headphone icons are showing as on.

I never bothered much with voice communication so I'm prolly getting difficulty due to lack of experience...oh ....and being dropped on my head when I was a baby:)