chiefbilly

Tell Me if You Find Discord to be Easy?

44 posts in this topic

I could be heard, then I couldn't. Check settings everything is fine. Nope, unheard. Exit WWIIOL.

I'm having some major issues just installing it.

I've started a support ticket and they responded rather quickly with the same info I had gotten from the main site. I did them again, and tried the link they provided to install, (a different one than is one the main page,) and nothing.

Tried running the installer as admin, in Win 7 and 8 compatibility and nothing.

I'm not convinced it's such a great product.

:(

Change is feared @Pittpete, especially when a comfort zone has been built. It's okay we expect there to be some growing pains, but growing we are and adapting to newer technologies that the "gamer of today" is going to anticipate. 

We're not doing this just for the sake of change to be sure. Hopefully anyone who has been wondering about this has read my moving to discord justifications article (here).

if it helps, think of discord similarly to speedtree. the game went with speedtree because it was already built and could do almost everything the game wanted from a tree/brush/stuff standpoint.

now CRS is faced with a desire to add much richer comms to their game and on the market the only thing already built that can be somewhat easily integrated to the game is discord. thankfully, it brings with it a lot of features the team can leverage down the road.

so, why change? because we can get rich community features into the game much more quickly by using a middleware communication platform. 

p.s. oh and it is free.

Like many of you I do not always agree with the decisions made to move forward, but I am one to realize that I am not the only person in our community.  What I do find excitement in is the fact that the team at CRS continue to try new things.  I can tell you that each time they try things they put lots of thought into it.  It is not something that they decide to just do.  They discuss it inside and out and look at the benefits that they see on the other side.  They looked at discord over a year ago and it did not fit at that time.  It had many issues that kept it from being something that could be used at the time.  Since that time discord has moved forward and fits better into the future of the game in the view of CRS.  Personally I do not utilize voice comms since I get upset when I can not hear what is going on around me, and everyone knows I need as much help as possible to stay alive.  I do like the fact that the team is always looking into new ideas and also revisiting old ideas when something changes to make it fit into the picture.  This is something that came from the community as an idea, many times, and something that was reviewed again and again.  Many folks like it, some don't.  Those with TS with their squads will probably never change if they have not yet, and it will be seen how new players and vets migrate to the new system. 

Edited by BADGER

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:18 AM, monsjoex said:

Everyone in AEF seems to like discord over TS.

True but they where also saying what a PITA it was to get running. 

Let me say this again. While it's obvious that there are installation issues (I didn't have any so I don't know what they are), Discord is amazing for squads and community.

Notice that with a click of a button, you can create your own squad server. You let in whoever you want, you create text channels just like on a squad forum, you can access it from your phone when taking a dump, get notifications when someone replies, and you can even use it instead of teamspeak. And the best thing? If you leave that squad server, you are still connected and people can talk to you.

Honestly, in long term, it's a god-send.

On 2/21/2017 at 1:54 PM, dre21 said:

Trying to reinvent the wheel again. Why change when the old was working.

Just my opinion.

...because if CRS can spend the $500 a year on more important software to improve the game and keep things going until we can hit a Steam release and much wider audience, it's not reinventing anything.

It's just good sense to not shell out for something that can be free.

2 people like this

It's not only about free. It's also about being a _much_better_software_. If you adopt it, it can be a large benefit to your squad and a even larger benefit to your HC.

It's far far superior to TS. Once the RATS learn how to use it, you'll understand.

It's far far superior to TS. Once the RATS learn how to use it, you'll understand.

I perfectly understand the reasons behind the change and me and my squad support them. Good move.

1 person likes this

Cannot load discord because of " Administrator" reason....

I am no computer genius so.... I m dead in the water.

3 hours ago, shagher said:

Cannot load discord because of " Administrator" reason....

I am no computer genius so.... I m dead in the water.

Whats the problem exactly? If it's regarding installation, check these links and follow the instructions:

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/209099387--Windows-Installer-Errors 

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/3r6cy4/cant_install_discord_error_on_launch_of/cxtzxfi/

Edited by gretnine