minkki

Low player numbers

55 posts in this topic

With teamspeak and discort you can make som estimate on how many players are playing the game. Also one can compare that to the webmap that shows player level has low-average-high(?).

Actually I have never seen it gone past yellow average. Usually when I would have time to play the webmap says orange low. That is the main reason why I rarely log in.

Of course not everyone is logged on voice comms, but at these days it is common to use them. Some have their own voice comms.

The estimate that I have came up is that this game has about 200-300 players in peak hour at Sunday night. Usually 100+-20 during weekdays, but during US peak hours it goes little higher.

Hopefully the steam release brings new players.

As much as it is interesting to estimate game numbers, the reality is basing it on TS or Discord is not accurate.  

I know on the Axis side we regularly are barking at players, specifically new ones, to get on TS (now using Discord) when asking for help and such and I'm almost certain the vast majority of players that use this game "lone wolf" in that they avoid squads and voice communications.

Even in squad we carry the same burden with our own.  

Don't let the voice com programs throw you a loop with respect to interest in the game.  

Promote the advantages (as I'm sure you do) and continue to scratch your head as to why people don't jump at the opportunity to get instant help from the MASSIVE player base that is online and willing to drop anything to help a new player get started.  

Since day one players (Well actually after day one since back then numbers were displayed openly) players have tried to guess the numbers of players in the game at one time.  It is like guessing the number of jelly beans in a black jar that you can not see inside.  It is not possible.  I have seen players count players on missions, I have seen them count TS, and other means, but it always has come up short.  TS is not a good way since many of us do not use voice comms, or like others stated, squads have their own TS servers.  Missions do not work since mission's expire.  Time on mission is not a good way since many players, like myself will go and get a drink while playing and get caught up doing something other and forgetting that I was in the game. 

It is no secret that numbers are smaller today than they were in 2005, but with what the folks at CRS is doing I am sure it will be turned around soon.  Lots of magic happening and I can not wait till it is all in the game.  Lots heading our way!

1 person likes this

But why in earth you aren't releasing the number of logged players? I have never understood the logic behind of this decision.

You do not have to tell how many is logged on allied or axis side. Only the total players logged in campaign server.

This game certainly is not a MMORPG in such way that World of Warcraft is that has millions of users. But still it would be interesting information.

Edited by minkki
1 person likes this

On 2/22/2017 at 2:16 PM, minkki said:

But why in earth you aren't releasing the number of logged players? I have never understood the logic behind of this decision.

You do not have to tell how many is logged on allied or axis side. Only the total players logged in campaign server.

This game certainly is not a MMORPG in such way that World of Warcraft is that has millions of users. But still it would be interesting information.

I'm not sure of the fixation on this outside of curiosity. How is this helpful? Should I continue to play this game based on X amount of people or not?

In terms of Discord (or TS) showing player numbers, it's entirely inaccurate. Because players either do not join them (they prefer the quiet) or have otherwise elected to be on their own server.

And yes, "million of users," is certainly something we do not have. But we have had quite a few people come through and by our doors for sure.

On 24.2.2017 at 0:34 AM, XOOM said:

I'm not sure of the fixation on this outside of curiosity. How is this helpful? Should I continue to play this game based on X amount of people or not?

No. You got it wrong. Players with busy real life schedule the time available for gaming is low. That's why it would be nice to know when there are lot's of players in game to maximize the fun factor.

1 person likes this

On 2/23/2017 at 4:34 PM, XOOM said:

Hey Xoom I just found this post from last year. The reason numbers of accounts is important for those who care to see the game succeed is more than interesting, it's because a historical time line can be built off it and we or just CRS can apply different data or events next to that timeline or graph that can help tell a statistical history and help better guide forward discussion "mostly within CRS" and thus your decisions. I completely understand a company not wanting to make such numbers and data public, such information can be dangerous. But I hope YOU have such a history and time line, and have it in hard data form and not just in your memory or that of the other rats. It's is an extremely valuable tool in any business. But if you do have one I'm not sure I would share the data publicly, 

Respectfully

Black5 

Players have been asking for this information .... for 15yrs, that I know of.  CRS does not share. 

1 person likes this

idk, something smelling I think.

Couple hours ago axis had 2 towns with double EWS, allies had excellent defense at both - and each pushed out to 1km.

Yet, only 1 AO the whole time?

Seems to me someone is fiddling with parameters :(

8 hours ago, delems said:

Couple hours ago axis had 2 towns with double EWS, allies had excellent defense at both - and each pushed out to 1km.

How could you have two active battles with double EWS and only one AO? The system does not show EWS for defenders, so how could you see double EWS on two fights if there were not two AOs?

On 4/28/2018 at 4:41 AM, black5 said:

Hey Xoom I just found this post from last year. The reason numbers of accounts is important for those who care to see the game succeed is more than interesting, it's because a historical time line can be built off it and we or just CRS can apply different data or events next to that timeline or graph that can help tell a statistical history and help better guide forward discussion "mostly within CRS" and thus your decisions. I completely understand a company not wanting to make such numbers and data public, such information can be dangerous. But I hope YOU have such a history and time line, and have it in hard data form and not just in your memory or that of the other rats. It's is an extremely valuable tool in any business. But if you do have one I'm not sure I would share the data publicly, 

Respectfully

Black5 

We do have that information available internally, where it will remain. Thanks Black, S! 

On 4/28/2018 at 1:28 PM, delems said:

no one has touched the settings

On 4/28/2018 at 7:41 AM, black5 said:

Respectfully

Black5 

If you know the game well enough, the organic population has more or less remained stagnant for the past few years, add steam population from one of the third party sites to get a good idea on game pop. Or just log in and count those spawned in on missions. If you record the data over a week or two at certain time zones you have a general idea for overall population

On 28/04/2018 at 1:41 PM, black5 said:

Respectfully

Black5 

Using public data you can estimate the number of account owners (active or inactive), and its progression over time.

Figures shows that 536 000 accounts were created from playgate and 607 000 from steam, with the following progression (personal creation for non-steam chart based on regular follow-ups).

Notice how the F2P launched in august 2012 didn't influence much the progression of account creation, despite some people claiming otherwise.

1525155959-18-05-wwiiol-account-creation

2007 was a good year with the introduction of TOE. 120k new accounts. Since the arrival of the new team, the growth has been limited despite its involvment and production. Some relevant questions needs to be asked here.

1525164914-18-05-growth-account-owner.pn

1525153148-18-05-wwiiol-steam-owner.png

You can also illustrate from the official stats website the average number of sorties per month and observe a decrease since 2011. In 2017 the average was approx 11000 sorties a day, hence if we consider a TOM of 5 minutes, we have an average of (11000*5/60/24=) 40 players online 24/24. 20vs20 is what we see during single AO periods. 

Doing the same with the past stats, you get an approximative answer to your question +-20%:

1525154289-18-05-average-sorties-wwiiol.

1525165492-18-05-average-players.png

25% may come from steam according to their population chart analysis. 

Very rough analysis so don't take this as trustful information! As others said, you can count manually people on missions.

But we care about the FUTURE not the past! We must triple the population to allow new developers to be hired again. We can achieve this only by improving the gameplay/group play.

2 people like this

Nice post Zebbee. Over half a million users reached via Steam with only 12 playing right now and 21 in the last day. Simply unacceptable. Something must be done about bringing back Steam free to play ASAP.

Should also be kept in mind: having free to play implemented and accessible is one thing, but in order to see drastic population changes that last longer than the free trial period, the free to play/subscription system is in need of an overhaul/reprice to better suit today's market. That has been discussed pretty thoroughly in this thread:

to end all current plans.

Create only one: US $ 7.00 / month

that simple..

Will Crs lose?

in the beginning maybe, but the population will grow and balance and maintain the game

2 people like this

12 minutes ago, enemytank said:

to end all current plans.

Create only one: US $ 7.00 / month

that simple..

Will Crs lose?

in the beginning maybe, but the population will grow and balance and maintain the game

It's a bit more complex than that. But management has acknowledged the need for a change in order to better the game's population, so we'll see what comes of it