chyrenz

Want PROOF the Rats are looking ahead?

19 posts in this topic

As the funding campaign is over and one of the goals in it was increased support from Presagis, I decided to look into what exactly that was.  

What is the software and what exactly does it do?

We all know this game is old and looks old and sounds old and there's sheep with helmets, but looking into what the Rats are using to update it shows their commitment to us, the players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presagis

In a nutshell:

Presagis is a provider of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) modeling, simulation, and embedded display graphics software. The company sells simulation, modeling, and virtual reality software to customers in the aerospace, defense, and automotive industries.

Needless to say they're using one HELL of a software package.  

That's great for everyone and is, in no small way, an example of how they're not "phoning it in" with respect to development and they're using state of the art software to show it.

S! Rats.

1 person likes this

Honestly I think this was a bad decision and probably one they regret it, any good programmer or computer engineer could make the simulating systems in this game probably better and more resource efficient.

I think this decision is one of the main reasons they haven't made more vehicles and they seem to pass that it's like a black box and they are going to try to reverse engineer at least that's what I understood from previous articles.

I honestly don't see any benefit of using it, warthunder has everything built in house and is less demanding and more realistic in some aspects plus they really payed or are paying a heavy price for having this system maybe back in the day it was more justifiable still, knowing that previous rats released or worked on previous WW2 combat flight simulators and the time they took to developed this game I would aspect that they had built every system from the ground up.

Edited by pbveteran

1 hour ago, pbveteran said:

Honestly I think this was a bad decision and probably one they regret it, any good programmer or computer engineer could make the simulating systems in this game probably better and more resource efficient.

I think this decision is one of the main reasons they haven't made more vehicles and they seem to pass that it's like a black box and they are going to try to reverse engineer at least that's what I understood from previous articles.

I honestly don't see any benefit of using it, warthunder has everything built in house and is less demanding and more realistic in some aspects plus they really payed or are paying a heavy price for having this system maybe back in the day it was more justifiable still, knowing that previous rats released or worked on previous WW2 combat flight simulators and the time they took to developed this game I would aspect that they had built every system from the ground up.

Even if you build something in-house you still need to assign a lot of resources to create a new vehicle. 
With the current road map (steam in Summer) it honestly doesn't make sense to create completely new vehicles, rather than re-purpose existing ones.

Edited by monsjoex

Honestly I wish the cornered rats did more stretch goals like the one we just had and just keep doing them if not monthly, no offense but progress can actually be achieved much faster with it.  With the recent stretch goal I say congrats to the rats and thank you everyone who contributed! 

I would just keep having stretch goals to achieve what the game needs

4 hours ago, pbveteran said:

The software was the same as the original team used to build everything in the game minus the infantry.  It is very important to the hope of having more vehicles and other items in the game today or tomorrow.  The team is not currently in a position to switch methods or develop in house items at this time.  The player placed objects utilized the creator software to build them for the game.  The new toys Hatch is working on with his team are all using that.

1 person likes this

LOLOLOL, damn you BADGER, I'm still here!  And never unsubbed in 15 years!  :D  Still got my coffee cup with the "Flying B@sT@rds" on it!  Great to see ya still around!!  S!

Edited by boudreau

20 hours ago, BADGER said:

The software was the same as the original team used to build everything in the game minus the infantry.  It is very important to the hope of having more vehicles and other items in the game today or tomorrow.  The team is not currently in a position to switch methods or develop in house items at this time.  The player placed objects utilized the creator software to build them for the game.  The new toys Hatch is working on with his team are all using that.

For what I understood this software is a modeling tool that can automatically calculate the flight and physics characteristics based on an object shape and parameters and export in proprietary file format that WW2ol uses, I search a little about it and one of the last updates they added pretty normal things that I took for granted like support for fbx files.

I reckon most of the problems must come from that file format and having the engine set to use that file format to simulate the damage calculations makes it not possible to have a new vehicle not on that format, that would explain why the infantry doesn't use it and why Atgs handle like vehicles.

Anyone else love the fact we're debating DEVELOPMENT instead of SURVIVAL?    

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, chyrenz said:

This is something I appreciate in the forums a lot and why when some folks get frustrated with others about it, I sit back and just smile, because it's a much healthier atmosphere knowing that there's some life in us yet.

Of course, we don't get comfortable (complacent) or we won't progress, but you gotta appreciate things as they are every so often, or you'll become a grumpy old curmudgeon and fail to see the good things happening.

1 person likes this

It's only fair that the sheep have helmets given what Allied players do to them. They have it the worst in this game. 

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, chyrenz said:

Hell yes!

2 hours ago, zathrasb5 said:

Is that software going to fix the lag?

That software is used to generate new (anything other than infantry) content. Many other fixes are underway, to include netcode3 stuff which is raknet which is inf-inf networking / communication. PROGRESS!

The original purpose of this thread is to show what the Rats are using going forward and to educate you, the meat shield, on the software.

Great job guys and keep turning those wrenches.

I've got some helmetted sheep to seek out.