elmoking33

Reality of a steam release

37 posts in this topic

Hello everyone the game is expected to be released on steam sometime soon, i would like to share my experience with the game in hopes that i can offer up some advice.  

I have played this game for roughly 2 and a half years, not totally sure. I found it after an intense google search for a free game like battlefield without the price. I was fond of battlefield 1942, the scale, the vast array of weapons and vehicles, yea you know the rest. I was a young teen with no real cash, anywho I download the game and i hated it at first, the learning curve was INTENSE so many times i would spawn in and die not knowing what killed me. This frustrated me.....but it also motivated me, because when i did finally get that kill it felt very rewarding. At the time the game was offering the trial and ofcourse like many others i abused it. Sometime passes and it goes free to play, at this point i drop the game because i felt i couldn't really contribute to anything as free to play.  Any way after getting the email and hearing the voice update on the roadmap  i decided to get a paid sub, now that i have a job and what not. 

Now, i want to point out AUDIENCE, when this game releases on steam it is important to identify your target audience, because of the games steep learning curve sub par graphics, and bugs here and there you have to target the niche audience. People who are really into that wwii history or battles on a grand scale etc. Also be prepared for nasty fallout of the "average" gamer, they can be toxic trust me. So mixed ratings etc. I suggest that you double down on the things that keeps people coming back, and that's the gameplay, you need to create new ways for players to get to the battle faster, and also so that the command can better direct his people. Am talking about somewhere you can just click "jump in" and it puts you in a forward base outside of an objective. Perhaps you could have the CO highlight a particular mission to send everyone to who clicks "jump in". Also your going to need to fix things like the multicrew thing, the last time i tried it, it was buggggyyyy. Give players more incentives and little objectives so that they are encouraged to keep on fighting. You lose alot of morale when the forward base is reaaally far from the objective, so you have to fire and maneuver from bush to bush and then die from some sniper in a church :/.   

Anyway you have to improve upon what you already have,  that's the gameplay and the experience, this game has a very dedicated community and it is its own gem, kinda like runescape, but steam is a entire different community, so you have to be prepared for the good and the bad.

Good comments.

Agree, that any steam advertising needs to BE VERY CLEAR on what this game IS and IS NOT !!!!!

So as to not "mislead" those who try it.

Not for the faint hearted, insta enjoy group.

Very challenging, aiming to be "realistic", etc...

As much information as possible on learning curve and challenges, while stressing the huge "rewards" of team play and combined arms play....among a few things to note.

10 hours ago, elfin said:

Good comments.

Agree, that any steam advertising needs to BE VERY CLEAR on what this game IS and IS NOT !!!!!

So as to not "mislead" those who try it.

Not for the faint hearted, insta enjoy group.

Very challenging, aiming to be "realistic", etc...

As much information as possible on learning curve and challenges, while stressing the huge "rewards" of team play and combined arms play....among a few things to note.

I agree the rats really need to make sure what the game is and isn't and what it's going to be. Steam is a really big deal and the rats and Xoom need to do this right and I mean right. 

Looks very similar to my story was a big fan of Battlefield 1942 really enjoy large maps and ability to plan ambush, flank and other tactics together with combine arms.

I found the game in a small section of a magazine like a small picture with some 5 lines saying it was re-releasing on europe it was a realistic open world game one map with half the size of Europe xD I was hooked pre-order the game and start seeing tutorials videos that fans had made.

I had a month for free was hard to master but It was very rewarding every time I got a killed, I eventually sub for a few months but even that wasn't able to teach me enough about the game, I then kept only the Sub to SOE and SWG and kept using the 15 day trial of the game to learn and become better at it, I eventually sub for a full year and some months on a off but the game has not changed much in 12 years and some of the annoyances and frustrations are still present, I mostly only keep the tabs on the development on the game now.

I do agree with all your points on the steam launch this a niche game and there will be negativity with it's release, the size will depend on how they target their audience.

Another reality of steam release is it could do absolutely nothing for this game, bring in very few players, We could be drowned out by other games, there are a lot on steam.

This game going on Steam for $18/month and as an early access game is not a good idea. It will be absolutely savaged by the average Steam user.

Steam will crucify this game, mark my words.

A early access that you have to pay for every month (not including the ever so often funding drives), that is also running on almost 20 year old tech......ooh my the comment section will be glorious to read.

20 minutes ago, nozlen said:

Steam will crucify this game, mark my words.

A early access that you have to pay for every month (not including the ever so often funding drives), that is also running on almost 20 year old tech......ooh my the comment section will be glorious to read.

Lets add to this the graphics, the buggy gameplay, the HE not doing jack squat and the ways that the code can be exploited and it's gonna sink.

People don't even like paying a sub for WoW, but they do; and WoW has new content every month and a very dedicated fanbase.

Anyone who tries this game out as a flight sim is just going to laugh and go elsewhere.

I hate to disparage one of my most favorite games of all time, but hey - it is what it is. Heck, I've been a very dedicated part of the fanbase here for years and even I can't justify paying to play this currently.

Geez guys you're sounding the deathknell for the game before it gets to steam...

The target audience is important but saying "the steam crowd will crucify us" is silly.  The Steam community as a whole is all over the place

No I am being realistic.

A deathnail...naah, there will always be the hardcore fans who gladly pay there Sub, then pay for some fund raisers over and over, because this game is there life (not being mean just stating a fact) outside of work and family.

Let me clarify why I think it will be crucified.

1. The mechanics will be to confusing for new players and yes while vets can explain, it will get very tedious and cumbersome explaining the same thing over and over. 

2.  Time to battle for most things is too long for most Steam players want action ASAP, and have the attention span of a turd.

3. Graphics....just the facts most players want over the top graphics (I prefer gameplay over graphics myself)

4. Lag, Bugs and exploits...the bugs and lag spikes will annoy many new comers but the vets who still use exploits will give the impression all the vets know ways to hack and cheat.

5. Camping....spawn in...die, rinse repeat will run soo many away in the first few hours it will be absurd. Watch how many people post a comment on Steam with less then 2 hours gameplay, it will be very high.

6. Game concept is fun for about a week or two, and then a new game comes out on steam and WW2OL is just a distant memory.

7. The level system will be absurdly against new players. I mean all new people vs all the vets in top tier gear...BRILLIANT!!!! (You could stretch out Tier 0 alot longer on the first map after the release to give them some fighting chance)

8. Stat Whores.....too many vets care just about getting kills and not helping new players.

9. Price Point.....UUh no, this game will not garner much love at all once people see the price point, considering all the other Early Acess games that offer waaaayyyy more for basically a one time $20 fee.

10. Sorry but Survival games are the fad right now not dated WW2 games.

Just 10 off my head, hope the best but lets be real here people. The best option would have been to build a whole new Theatre (Africa) from scratch, instead of just pilling on a old platform.

Edited by nozlen

Even if 100 long term players join our ranks that's a success. 

Edited by spocek

9 hours ago, Pittpete said:

Well according to Nozlens post i think CRS should just forget about Steam then..:rolleyes:

No I think you should have a realistic idea of what is going to happen, because if it goes as I think it will then you will really have people saying it is over.

Like I have said before I think the game is doing alot better then it was when I first started playing and hopefully it gets better, but I unlike you I guess understand what the game is and who it appeals too, and by no means is this a game for the masses on Steam for a long period of time, BUT can it build off of what it learns and gets from Steam ABSOLUTELY.

Sorry I don't make everything seem like its going to be Unicorns and Rainbows for you, but here hope this holds you over...

rainbows-unicorns.jpg

Edited by nozlen

10 hours ago, spocek said:

Even if 100 long term players join our ranks that's a success. 

This is much more realistic and VERY doable. I actually think 100-300 range is realistic, and I mean as long term players as well.

I played Cod1/2 for years yet I'm playing this too. Just because there's a lot of crybabies who want instant action doesn't mean it's the ONLY group you will reach with steam.

Nozlen,

So what are your suggestions on mitigating steamers' reactions? It's easy to point out flaws but harder to come up with solutions. That said, I have my own concerns how the game will be received by younger players who want instant action. My 12 y/o son has recently been trying to play with me sometimes with great enjoyment but frequently bored and frustrated waiting for something to come by he could shoot at. He died ten times initially without even seeing who killed him. Later we were up on a hill overlooking an army base where he actually got to kill something and he was excited. Still the boring part for him outweighed the exciting part ultimately. He did like multi-crewing but when he did that I was stuck in the driver/pilot seat depending on him to see/kill whatever was coming at us and you know how that ended. :rolleyes: Who is going to want to multi-crew new players they don't know?

My suggestions:

I think easy to find and follow instructions would help new players. Tutorial videos would also help too. I would focus on free to play items first since virtually all the new players will want to try the game before they commit to playing for it and they would have to level up first even if they pay. How to read maps. A comprehensive guide to commands. I have played this game for a while and just found out how to do the "%here" command because someone in-game mis-typed %her which clued me in on how to do it.  A core group of players that are going to willing to multi-crew new players and suffer the growing pains. Though I bet multi-crewing destroyers would be a blast for new players!

Eno67

Edited by eno67

Just now, eno67 said:

Nozlen,

So what are your suggestions on mitigating steamers' reactions? It's easy to point out flaws but harder to come up with solutions. That said, I have my own concerns how the game will be received by younger players who want instant action. My 12 y/o son has recently been trying to play with me sometimes with great enjoyment but frequently bored and frustrated waiting for something to come by he could shoot at. He died ten times initially without even seeing who killed him. Later we were up on a hill overlooking an army base where he actually got to kill something and he was excited. Still the boring part for him outweighed the exciting part ultimately. He did like multi-crewing but when he did that I was stuck in the driver/pilot seat depending on him to see/kill whatever was coming at us and you know how that ended. :rolleyes: Who is going to want to multi-crew new players they don't know?

My suggestions:

I think easy to find and follow instructions would help new players. Tutorial videos would also help too. I would focus on free to play items first since virtually all the new players will want to try the game before they commit to playing for it and they would have to level up first even if they play. How to read maps. A comprehensive guide to commands. I have played this game for a while and just found out how to do the "%here" command because someone in-game mis-typed %her which clued me in on how to do it.  A core group of players that are going to willing to multi-crew new players and suffer the growing pains. Though I bet multi-crewing destroyers would be a blast for new players!

Eno67

Iits a lot easier to find action when theres 10-12 active AO's like in 2008.
Steam -> Hopefully lots of noobs enter -> You encounter more noobs yourself as well.

And actually the biggest change that comes very soon is 1.36. Before steam.

42 minutes ago, monsjoex said:

Iits a lot easier to find action when theres 10-12 active AO's like in 2008.
Steam -> Hopefully lots of noobs enter -> You encounter more noobs yourself as well.

And actually the biggest change that comes very soon is 1.36. Before steam.

I don't ever remember 10 - 12 active AOs but I do remember plenty of action during high pop times. Low pop has been an issue since at least October 2001. This game is not fast paced enough for kids and not easy enough for most people. The hope is that Steam will expose the game to more people in that small portion of the population that this game appeals to. 

16 minutes ago, saronin said:

I don't ever remember 10 - 12 active AOs but I do remember plenty of action during high pop times. Low pop has been an issue since at least October 2001. This game is not fast paced enough for kids and not easy enough for most people. The hope is that Steam will expose the game to more people in that small portion of the population that this game appeals to. 

Remember btw that 1.36 will simplify the UI a lot.

You won't have 5 brigades to choose your mission from (or use active battles tab but not easy when you want to stay on the same AO/DO).

Now each town will have 1 selection point. Very easy. Only if you are attacking you would have to select 2-3 towns depending on how many you are attacking from. Still fewer than the number of brigades we have now.

1 person likes this

It will be interesting to see 1.36. I'll have to get my son to take a look at it when it comes out and give me some feedback. Lord knows I remember the days of walking from the FB to town if you were not lucky enough to catch a truck or tank headed that way. That took dedication and some Fats Domino to get thru. 

I think the Rapid Assault would have been a good training area with lots of action for new players to learn. 

All we really need is a few hundred more players...

Once we get the population up a bit i'm sure the whiners and know it alls will sub again instead of telling CRS they're doing it all wrong.

51 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

Once we get the population up a bit i'm sure the whiners and know it alls will sub again instead of telling CRS they're doing it all wrong.

Pretty much, this game is going to explode when it goes into steam so can't wait for the hundreds if not thousands of players playing this game.  Going to be epic beyond words lol

1 hour ago, Pittpete said:

I will get right on that............*soon* after I "lock in" my subscription.