• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
elmoking33

Reality of a steam release

37 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2017 at 7:09 AM, monsjoex said:

Remember btw that 1.36 will simplify the UI a lot.

You won't have 5 brigades to choose your mission from (or use active battles tab but not easy when you want to stay on the same AO/DO).

Now each town will have 1 selection point. Very easy. Only if you are attacking you would have to select 2-3 towns depending on how many you are attacking from. Still fewer than the number of brigades we have now.

Just like  at launch in 2001. 

Edited by saronin

13 minutes ago, saronin said:

Just like  at launch in 2001. 

Hehe well at least you dont have to press 3 buttons to fire nowadays :D

2 minutes ago, monsjoex said:

Hehe well at least you dont have to press 3 buttons to fire nowadays :D

I think it will be good for the game though. The UI is half of why getting people into squads has been so important for player retention. I can't count the number of times I've had to resort to just telling players to click on my name in the squads tab as the primary means of getting them to battle. 

I'm glad that my sentiments has sparked some dialogue among the player base. We all know what the game is and isn't, i hope developers get wind of how we feel so they can better prepare for a release on steam. Also i don't think a release on steam will bring in thousands of players immediately, if there is a early access sub paywall people just aren't going to try it, am glad there is a f2p option, so that they can taste the pie. I think the major problem now would be getting the content to a new player as fast as possible. When i say this i mean  for me as a new player, I spammed the help channel chat with questions because i just didn't know. I was able to join a squad and they did the heavy lifting. So in think a tutorial video would be nice, "here's how to get to battle." , " this is what the red bar means...." etc. And a video series on weapons and tanks there weakness etc. Although a video would be easier, i still think a fundamental ui redesign is what is needed, we need that "jump in button" i was talking about.

the major problem for me is, there is no easy access to guides. thewwiionline wiki isn't transparent enough. it would be nice if CRS would send out a guide with the welcome email.

5 hours ago, elmoking33 said:

I'm glad that my sentiments has sparked some dialogue among the player base. We all know what the game is and isn't, i hope developers get wind of how we feel so they can better prepare for a release on steam. Also i don't think a release on steam will bring in thousands of players immediately, if there is a early access sub paywall people just aren't going to try it, am glad there is a f2p option, so that they can taste the pie. I think the major problem now would be getting the content to a new player as fast as possible. When i say this i mean  for me as a new player, I spammed the help channel chat with questions because i just didn't know. I was able to join a squad and they did the heavy lifting. So in think a tutorial video would be nice, "here's how to get to battle." , " this is what the red bar means...." etc. And a video series on weapons and tanks there weakness etc. Although a video would be easier, i still think a fundamental ui redesign is what is needed, we need that "jump in button" i was talking about.

When the game first came out the UI was simple. Over the years it got more and more complicated. The system that HC had to deal with was more and more complicated as well. For vets it's no big deal because the system grew up around them. For new players it can be daunting and can turn them off quickly. 1.36 should see a return to the simplified UI that any one can come in game and immediately start using. 

7 hours ago, parasit said:

the major problem for me is, there is no easy access to guides. thewwiionline wiki isn't transparent enough. it would be nice if CRS would send out a guide with the welcome email.

The guides need to pop up in your map in order for the learning curve to be shortened. I want to be able to pull up a description of an enemy tank with target data relating to my current choice of equipment be it sapper, atg or tank. This information would have been shared by any real army and spread around the battlefield to the units in place. It doesn't replace careful positioning in the terrain, or the stealth it takes to get into position, or careful aim. It does let you know if you even have a chance at engaging an enemy target with your current weapon and where its vulnerabilities are.

Someone wake me.

On 2017-03-04 at 1:52 AM, saronin said:

When the game first came out the UI was simple. Over the years it got more and more complicated. The system that HC had to deal with was more and more complicated as well. For vets it's no big deal because the system grew up around them. For new players it can be daunting and can turn them off quickly. 1.36 should see a return to the simplified UI that any one can come in game and immediately start using. 

Also would firstly like to add (as elmoking33 was about to say in first post, hehe) that by focusing on Audience you could adapt the description of the game to pitch what makes the game unique, and at the same time be VERY OPEN that this is "not CoD".

For example:

• "Although our arena is one of the biggest single map simulations, with hundreds of deaths a minute (at peak hours). The sheer size though could mean that you won't always see action for long periods. It is like real war where a soldier could sit for a long time hearing the enemy prepare a big assault, but never fire a weapon. Just to be overwhelmed the next day, and die to a stray bullet during the first seconds of battle."

And more to what saronin said: I would even go further and say that we probably need a "simple UI mode" for steamers, and maybe a ".command" that brings some more advanced stuff back. :cool:

On 2017-03-02 at 1:32 AM, nozlen said:

Let me clarify why I think it will be crucified.

5. Camping....spawn in...die, rinse repeat will run soo many away in the first few hours it will be absurd. Watch how many people post a comment on Steam with less then 2 hours gameplay, it will be very high.

Your right, even if we extend the veteran player base to like 700-800 players, the sheer amount of 2-hour-players will be much much higher, which could make this game get "drowned by 2hour-player reviews". Doesn't matter if I (and many others) write good reviews.

But again I think part of the solution could be by informing the "steamers" about the limitations. In short:

• CRS should be very honest in describing the game on Steam. I mean DEADLY honest.

In that way no-one should be able to write reviews, which get high percentage on "Think this review was helpful". Because if the game never said it had "high end graphics", then no-one "should" rate a review as "helpful". Also rating reviews lower moves the review down pretty much, and hopefully the overall counters take that into account.

-------------------------------------------

So lastly I like to talk about possible solutions that need to be put in-game before Steam launch:

• Maybe that "instant action button" everyone talks about, actually should be complemented with an information box, that is part of the GUI which contain tips (a bit like the "did you know"). Like:
    • "Last mission you survived 32 seconds, let's try to use cover next time! Understood soldier? Supply is not unlimited" *with picture of angry officer*
    • "Last mission you ran 3,2km. IF this was intended, then fine. But remember both big and small battles usually have some way of getting into action faster. Click here to get more info"
    • "Last mission you accidentally fired upon x friendly soldiers. Check your fire soldier!" *with angry face*

So with this information box in-game, you continue to "lower" expectations to players, which is VERY important.

And hopefully we are going to see some "achievements" programmed into the game, which also gives a retention boost to "camped newbs". Like getting an award for dying 10 times in a row, without killing anyone. :P

2 people like this

On 2/27/2017 at 9:10 PM, elmoking33 said:

Now, i want to point out AUDIENCE, when this game releases on steam it is important to identify your target audience, because of the games steep learning curve sub par graphics, and bugs here and there you have to target the niche audience. People who are really into that wwii history or battles on a grand scale etc. Also be prepared for nasty fallout of the "average" gamer, they can be toxic trust me. So mixed ratings etc. I

CRS must greatly consider this from a marketing and digital packaging standpoint.

We might not be to control of who tries out of the game and hates it, but we can go a LONG way towards negating that by making sure we accurately set up people's expectations before they enter.

Don't try to sell it as an action game in the trailers/pictures/descriptions and they won't be disappointed when they find out it's not like battlefield.

Sell it on the thinking action. The strategy. The historical realism. The tactical coordination. The MMO ARMA.

I think that is especially important with the videos on steam, that you don't just put up a generic action video which we've come to expect from most FPS franchises. That will set up false expectations and not sell the game's true merits.

There's a lot to sell about WW2OL, and videos can be created that emphasize those aspects if you are creative enough. They should seek feedback from the community about the game's selling points and make sure they have some good videos lined up to sell that on steam. That's how many will judge the game.

On 2/27/2017 at 9:10 PM, elmoking33 said:

suggest that you double down on the things that keeps people coming back, and that's the gameplay, you need to create new ways for players to get to the battle faster, and also so that the command can better direct his people. Am talking about somewhere you can just click "jump in" and it puts you in a forward base outside of an objective. Perhaps you could have the CO highlight a particular mission to send everyone to who clicks "jump in". Also your going to need to fix things like the multicrew thing, the last time i tried it, it was buggggyyyy. Give players more incentives and little objectives so that they are encouraged to keep on fighting. You lose alot of morale when the forward base is reaaally far from the objective, so you have to fire and maneuver from bush to bush and then die from some sniper in a church :/.  

I've been saying this for a long time. Others have too.

I think the problem is they haven't had a clear idea on how to achieve that. In the past they've made a lot of missteps, or half steps, without going as far as is needed in a comprehensive way. 

I've posted on this forum in the past detailing outlines (which can probably be found through search) on how the game can achieve consistent high density battles, and easy dynamic coordination. It involved new dynamic spawning systems and streamlined dynamic organizational systems. Those two areas are the foundational pillars that hold up this game, and if you don't work on shoring them up no amount of changes you make to the game are really going to matter in the long run.

If they do, however, find the resources to implement the things I suggested in other threads, then they would have a game that is unmatched by anything else.

Edited by rise27

I  would agree. How the game is presented on STEAM is CRUCIAL !!!!

I still remember my first log in 2003...walking out of a spawn and dying in 10 seconds. LOL.

No idea on what was happening. lol.

How the game is "framed" and the expectations that come from that are  pretty well "everything".

I am sure CRS is keenly aware of that. (hope so any way) 

5 hours ago, rise27 said:

Sell it on the thinking action. The strategy. The historical realism. The tactical coordination. The MMO ARMA.

I think that is especially important with the videos on steam, that you don't just put up a generic action video which we've come to expect from most FPS franchises. That will set up false expectations and not sell the game's true merits.

Totally agree with the video part.