parasit

Discord Guide

14 posts in this topic

I hope you mentioned that Discord is very touchy about sharing keymaps with other apps. It sure messed up my controllers until I could figure it out. <S>

Wish I could use it but both times it was installed I got a black screen right before the screen should switch to in-game.  When I would uninstall it the game worked find.   

What was wrong with TS? Seems like introducing a quirky voice coms is counter-productive. If it was just the cost of the server... wow

16 minutes ago, tsetse said:

If it was just the cost of the server... wow

Just the cost?

Purchase new server cluster for dedicate voice comms
Minimal capacity 5k concurrent users encoding at,the very least, in an 11k mono data stream

Purchase appropriate extra bandwidth (This will probably use a large portion more than the game itself does)

License the technology from Teamspeak, which is on a per seat basis, and must be renewed yearly i think
Minimum seats in SDK license needed, 5k (or whatever max cell host capacity is at a given time)

Time to develop the custom TS server which would auto generate appropriate channels as needed
Time to develop the hooks in the game client to auto join users to the appropriate channels and make sure it doesn't have a chalkboard for a UI

Offset the total combined yearly costs by increasing subscription price to you.

if it was just that simple :( 

1 hour ago, merlin51 said:

Just the cost?

Purchase new server cluster for dedicate voice comms
Minimal capacity 5k concurrent users encoding at,the very least, in an 11k mono data stream

Purchase appropriate extra bandwidth (This will probably use a large portion more than the game itself does)

License the technology from Teamspeak, which is on a per seat basis, and must be renewed yearly i think
Minimum seats in SDK license needed, 5k (or whatever max cell host capacity is at a given time)

Time to develop the custom TS server which would auto generate appropriate channels as needed
Time to develop the hooks in the game client to auto join users to the appropriate channels and make sure it doesn't have a chalkboard for a UI

Offset the total combined yearly costs by increasing subscription price to you.

if it was just that simple :( 

You don't think you are over complicating it abit? First they already had a server, if all that stuff was needed to be purchased, why did they throw it all away to begin with?

Secondly, just google search TS server, and look at the costs. Your response is just being over dramatic, and the fault in it can be found by anyone with a search engine.  How many people have EVER been on the voice coms, certainly not enough to justify the expenditures you just listed. If that is what you really think is needed to run voice coms, you would have run this company into the ground out of the chute.

If it really was what was needed, and it really cost as much as you imply, why raise the cost to the already paying players? Why not just charge the non-paying players a little something?

1 minute ago, tsetse said:

You don't think you are over complicating it abit? First they already had a server

They had a hosted server, those are limited on capacity and  you cant code those into the game because you cant recode the server.
And they cost money. You think  Xoom has a secret truck of cash in the office cellar?
If he did, he probably just spent it on the hardware for the cell host expansion.
The rest of the budget probably looks like one of those baby hair thin tai noodles.

Paying for a 3rd party voice solution when you dont really have the funds to throw away doesnt really look good on paper
You also can not integrate it, which would be the endgame solution anyways, so you get no closer to that and yet pay out funds all the same.

And most 3rd party hosts are offering 400 seats as a max
At one time we had over 2000 people in game together at the same time

We do kind of want that kind of population again do we not?

13 minutes ago, tsetse said:

How many people have EVER been on the voice coms

Does not matter.
IF you build them into the game, you have to have the capacity to match your games potential capacity.
Could you imagine WOW for example, only having voice capacity for 25% of its online playerbase?
That would go over not very well on a high pop weekend.

You can not just license the seats in the TSSDK on a sliding hourly basis.
Say you decided well only 50 people use it on a regular basis we will go with 75 seats, and you get 300 new subs and 150 want voice comms.

Sorry new guys, you will have to wait to use voice comms until we renegotiate our SDK license to increase capacity.
Not a great selling point.

Only good cost effective long term solution probably being a proprietary in house system.
Can integrate into game as desired, no licensing costs, can expand or reduce capacity as subscriber base dictates on the fly.

15 minutes ago, tsetse said:

Why not just charge the non-paying players a little something?

Because they aren't paying? If we could charge them a little something, we'd charge them for the game, dont you think?

17 minutes ago, tsetse said:

If that is what you really think is needed to run voice coms, you would have run this company into the ground out of the chute.

speedreading isnt a good hobby ya know?
That being said, yea i probably would have, but it would have nothing to do with voice
It would have been, the 20 texture artist, the 50 3d modelers/animators, the 10 flight model coders, the 10 hydro model coders, the framework coding team, the host coding team, the research team, the 10 guys doing terrain generation, and a new desk for dragon instead of the wobbly self assembled thing she had

1 person likes this

QUESTION: how do I go about getting permission to be able to read the #General history chat? I have had a couple mentions come through via my mobile discord app but not able to view them. 

http://prntscr.com/gs4ofi

Discord: sn0whusky

Edited by devilspawn

8 minutes ago, SNIPER62 said:

yay, good work!

need the HTMl input on wiki, or maybe im missing it?
Be easier export from work to HTML and pop right into the wiki

Also need more wiki people