• Announcements

• CHIMM

RAT Chat Sunday 12/8 3pm server time!!!!   12/07/2019

CRS is working overtime preparing and setting up the NEW SERVERS at the Portland colocation. This Sunday, December 8th, at 3:00 pm CST/9:00 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time). XOOM and the RATs are hosting a live chat discussing the move, and what services will be temporarily impacted in the process. Live chat link will be provided in discord channels when available. We look forward to chatting with you!
schweize

steam & player numbers

19 posts in this topic

CRS have always kept player numbers very close to their chest.

Will CRS be able to get away with these figures not being displayed once released on steam?

Why is it such a big deal to know the numbers?  If you like the game then just keep playing.

If the rate of player decrease that is commonly believed to be true was true, this game'd have about negative 10k daily players by now :)

By the way, the reasons not to display player numbers are for instance the fear of a threshold phenomena, where people don't log in unless there are at least 50 people on, leading to nobody ever logging in. Such thing can be very damaging and self-reinforcing.

Edited by Tigger6

No. We'll know approximate(could be very accurate too) concurrent/overall numbers when WWIIOL hits steam. There are multiple sites that provide Steam data analysis, whether it's current players or whatever. 

http://steamcharts.com

https://steamspy.com

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ (Not sure if Steam provides stats for specific game or just the top 100)

Edited by gretnine

all i know is that despite how few players might be on these days, i still get killed pretty often

Steam does show it for every game, well whether directly from steam or not I am not sure..... but for example you can search a low grade game like "black death" and see that it had 1 online user earlier.

I believe it also shows "unique" users but I could be wrong on that.

55 minutes ago, lipton said:

I'm not holding my breath for the Steam release.  

This game is way too buggy to stand up to the Steam junkies. They will tear it apart in the forums and kill it off faster than you can say CTD. 

That's the spirit!

6 hours ago, sideout said:

That's the spirit!

Reality sucks..... Steam has a harsh community when it comes to its reviews and I think most gamers of this generation will just berate the graphics to death.

11 hours ago, lipton said:

I'm not holding my breath for the Steam release.  

This game is way too buggy to stand up to the Steam junkies. They will tear it apart in the forums and kill it off faster than you can say CTD. 

If you would know Steam as an platform, you would know there are multiple dozen if not hundreds of games coming to the store every week. Some of them are either games that are very simple or even in worse state than WWIIOL. Think about this: According to SteamSpy's creator, 38% of ALL the games on Steam were released LAST YEAR, 26% were released in 2015 and 16% were released in 2014. That means ~80% of the games that are on Steam came out during 2014-2016. These numbers can of course not be 100% accurate, but it can give you an idea how many games actually got released on Steam past few years. This week alone, i quickly counted 154 new releases on the platform (Includes DLCs and Demos).

Lets just say, i'd be surprised if the game even gets significant amount of reviews or visibility among this cesspool of releases and games on Steam.

Some of the games that get released on Steam wont even launch at all, that crashes constantly, that has bugs beyond your imagination etc... Take a look at these couple of examples (There are lots more..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnzN-3N_0xw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG2doDY6COk

Edited by gretnine
wording

13 hours ago, schweize said:

Steam does show it for every game, well whether directly from steam or not I am not sure..... but for example you can search a low grade game like "black death" and see that it had 1 online user earlier.

I believe it also shows "unique" users but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks for clarifying. Thought so too. :-)

Steam is unpredictable--- the general view is that most players are 14-20, but I have seen reviews of steam that suggest the bulk of the player base is actually much older- 30+  -- if this is true the WW2 has a good chance to gain some new players.   It is worth a try and for the sake of all the people who put their time and money into the game, i hope it works.

STEAM has huge numbers doesnt it.

Say only 10% of 1 Million of its 14 million players try WWIIOL thats what, 100K players?.

Say  1% only of them stick around.

That is 1000 new players......

just wondering what happens if the release on Steam is a complete failure (for what ever reason)?

I personally think, we'll all be surprized at the level of success....

I think the rats should have a free fully open for about two weeks to load test the system. 

There could be like 10 times the numbers we have now when it opens up.  A crash would be the end of Steam, I think.

To be honest i think we all underestimate this game. Yes the models look outdated and there are better FPS's, but the one thing that separates this game from most is the map size. The sheer vastness of the game creates it's own world in itself. On steam there are games like "Mount and Blade Warband" and others with outdated graphics but the content is solid. So the reviews are mostly positive. We might not retain the playerbase of COD or BF series (Nor do we really want them), But the players we will gain should be substantial.

16 hours ago, spocek said:

Would it make sense to also release it on GOG.com?

We'll be considering many publishing opportunities as soon as we've successfully released and stabilized on Steam.

17 hours ago, lutenint said:

To be honest i think we all underestimate this game. Yes the models look outdated and there are better FPS's, but the one thing that separates this game from most is the map size. The sheer vastness of the game creates it's own world in itself. On steam there are games like "Mount and Blade Warband" and others with outdated graphics but the content is solid. So the reviews are mostly positive. We might not retain the playerbase of COD or BF series (Nor do we really want them), But the players we will gain should be substantial.

I would agree with this entirely. I read the comments (much like I do here) about how awful things are and how buggy it is. I don't disagree there's room for improvement but frankly we're in a position where we need the additional resources to build up our dev studio to really start cranking out code and content. It's going to cost money, quite a bit of it, to get some more full time programming staff.

At the end of the day we have a one of a kind game that is very playable, and to a  brand new FRESH set of eyes there's so much to offer it won't be hard to see the big picture, IF they are willing to invest a little time into it.

Remember how you felt on your first day / week? Many new thousand of players will be experiencing that captivating experience for the first time. I am very much looking forward to the potential of Steam and how it will grow our player numbers.

Im not sure I would use the word captivating to describe my first couple of weeks here - and I dont mean that negatively.  Game was great, but I died so many times.  If you dont like a challenge this isnt the game for you.  Its been 10 years and Im still learning every day.  Onboarding for new players is going to be crucial.

1 person likes this