beny

Kamikaze attack on the USS Laffy

3 posts in this topic

I'm sure at least a few are familiar with the USS Laffy and how it was attacked by about 50 kamikaze aircraft in early 1945. I think it would be cool to re-enact that scenario. We could set up a DD and surround it with Fairmiles, or to be more accurate with the firepower the Laffy carried, maybe load a few Bofors and 25mm AA guns onto a TT and park it next to the DD. I heard that they can be deployed while on board. Then get volunteers to fly a variety of planes, either Axis or Allied (as long as they carry bombs), and see if they can kamikaze into the DD and sink it. In the case ot the USS Laffy, a few Navy Wildcats showed up and shot down some of the kamikaze planes, so maybe a few more players could come in with H81's or an Axis equivalent, depending on which side sets up the ships and boats.

If any are interested, you can find the History Channel's re-enactment on YouTube. Check it out and I'm sure you will agree that it would be an awesome special event. Thanks

The ship wouldn't stand a chance. It takes as many as three or four 40mm hits to significantly divert a plane from its course. The 25mm has a much lower sustained RPM than the US Navy's late-war Oerlikon 20mm mounts with 60 round magazines, and it takes a large number of 20mm hits to divert a plane from its course. There's nothing in-game like the 5 inch 38 firing proximity fuzed frag. There's no provision for the (multi-part) vessel we'd be simulating to be jinking like crazy at flank speed, while having all its guns manned. And, we fire by eyeball and skill, without the historical predictive sights.

It wouldn't even be a contest.

It would be a slaughter for the ship.

Cool to watch, maybe. But not even fun to do.

During Intermission that would be different, but during campaign? It's a waste of ressource for both side.