• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Crs Wants You!   01/18/2019

CRS is looking for some volunteer live support chat staff.  Are you up for the assignment?  If so,  please send an email with your interest to,  Jobs@corneredrats.com
XOOM

7 years as a Rat

21 posts in this topic

I was brought on April 1st 2010 to CRS (yeah no joke...). I remember everything leading up to that and I hold onto my experiences as a player very tightly so I never forget the "other side of the coin."

In 2015 somewhere near mid-March (now just a little over two years) I took command of the project as the Executive Producer.

With your amazing support as community members, and tremendous backing from like-minded (passionate / dedicated) folks I have on my team here at Cornered Rat Software, we've been able to accomplish a lot.

I just wanted to say that although I know things are not always the way we want them, and everyone has their own priority, I make my commitment here very personal and making sure this game goes on is very important to me.

I also wanted to say, you guys have been extreme rock stars in backing us up and giving this team and I, a proper chance to turning the tide. I hope you have been pleased with what we've accomplish so far, and I want you to know that we're tirelessly moving forward.

Having this opportunity has been a humbling experience, and a very educational one. I routinely reflect on the fact that the entire game looks at me for leadership and making the right call, whether it's Maypole at Playnet HQ or all of my team at CRS, and you guys the community... it's a task not suitable for everyone.

You guys have taught me a lot and kept me on course. This stuff isn't easy, but having your support both morally and financially has made the mission more achievable despite its incredible odds and the nay-saying that has attempted to bring us down both internally and abroad.

So thank you, very sincerely, for giving me this chance from being a 14 year old kid who picked up the Jewel Box at Electronic Boutique in 2002, to now a 29 year old husband and father, acting as the "Rat Commander" paving our way to victory.

And finally a personal story about the moment of truth here in 2012 when everything fell apart so badly, and it's kind of corny but hang in there.

After everyone had packed up and left except the 5 of us remaining (Maypole, Gophur, Doc, Bloo and myself), I came down from Portland OR to visit (yes they thought I was bat shit crazy - what could this 24 year old guy possibly be interested in coming down here again, DID HE NOT HEAR THE NEWS!?).

I wanted to just be there for the guys and show my commitment further, even when all seemed lost. I asked to stay the night at Rat HQ just so I can absorb the experience. We had about 13 bull pen offices, the main conference room with bathroom (it included a shower which was pretty sweet), and a kitchen. There was a reception area with 4 executive offices.

I was up for a long time that evening. I sat in the conference room, quiet as ever, empty. Listening to the sound of... nothing. As I sat there I realized every important decision that was likely ever made about the game took place right at this very specific place... that was quite a realization, and more importantly, that all of it was weighing in the balance of impending doom.

I then walked around the empty hall way, where offices were still furnished as they were left, knowing who was in each of those offices because a couple months prior I had come down to visit as it was indicated the fall out would come. To any normal person, these conditions would've severely depressed someone and cause them to leave. 

For some reason that is still hard to articulate, I was compelled to thrust myself into this situation to do what ever it took to help repair it. I saw opportunity, not defeat. It was that night I sat in what likely would have been my office, nicely furnished and spacey, it was really quite great. I asked God to work through me to help turn the negative tide that was before us. 

I have been a sponge, willing to get over myself and my ego, to learn more about the game internally, the functions required to keep it going, what the community really needs and wants. And so, I latched on and went full tilt with everything I had, morning, day and night for the last several years to buy us a bridge to tomorrow. 

I guess it could be the experience I had when I was younger, when my family first got into the restaurant industry when I was only 2 years old. I grew up with the expectation that, "you do what ever it takes for the family to keep things going, no matter what." I suppose in 2008 after we got out of that business, WWII Online became my replacement, and I was accepted to join in 2010, then became a more important role in 2012 and later in 2015, those principles have only amplified themselves.

One day, I am going to write a book about this whole thing because the challenges that I have faced alongside tremendous people has been a big part of my childhood dream coming true. I take this job very seriously and I am deeply passionate about it. I guess the point in telling you all of this is so you know that, unquestionably. I am not looking for praise, just o let you know I want to reciprocate the level of appreciation I have for all of you sticking with me and this team to effectively buy us 5 more years (and hopefully many more) from what was the darkest time in our history.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading, it's been a blessing for me, all of this. S!

12 people like this

This seems to be time for deepest condo...cough..Congratulations.

Keep up good work and dont start goofing with writing... before its over :)

S!

1 person likes this

Thank YOU!  S!  This game and community have been there for me in some very trying personal times.

Oh yeah, I still want me widdle mouse thingy!!  :lol:

Edited by Boudreau
1 person likes this

So enough with the emotional stuff, when do we get parachuting dogs?

parachutingdogs-1.jpg

1 person likes this

7 years, really ????

Unbelievable, I remember when we both have been noobs. 7 years?!?

Nice post, interesting.

1 person likes this

Xoom you're one of the originals buddy I remember when you were just a player good to see your still plugging away.

One of these days you're going to have to tell me what happened to the old crew and how the new crew became Rats. 

I regret not sticking around but life just got in the way.

I am so thankful there is still a game to come back to and S! you and all the Rats new and former for keeping this awesome game alive!!!

Edited by E7usn
1 person likes this

You do an amazing job along with the rest of the team.  The future is brighter now  than it has been in years and can not wait for what can be said next year at this time.

1 person likes this

Just now, BADGER said:

You do an amazing job along with the rest of the team.  The future is brighter now  than it has been in years and can not wait for what can be said next year at this time.

Hi ya Badger  =) 

June 6th 2017 16 years of WWII Online of virtual combat. 

How awesome is that?

Dam I feel old........

1 person likes this

Amazing work as I've always said and I look forward to the future.  The work CRS has done and the challenges we as a community have overcome together is a testament to those that chose to continue instead of quit.

S!

That being said, Xoom, your leave has been cancelled and we have latrine duty at Windhund HQ that needs your attention!  Saddle up soldier we have a war to win!

1 person likes this

Good and interesting write up!

Keep up the awesome job XOOM & CRS!

S!

Edited by maxios
1 person likes this

I will say this Xoom, you have been most extra ordinary.. in addressing concerns or at least listening.

Most wont understand what I mean and I am reluctant to say this but I will.

I had addressed a concern to Xoom personally via IM, and he personally phoned me to discuss my concern man to man.  What developer would do such a thing for a player?  That people is the extra mile for taking time from his schedule to do so. It was much appreciated and I hope this helps illuminates your dedication to the player base that your not just talk in this regard.

1 person likes this

Xoom it is good to have people on staff talk to us and we appreciate it very much.  As a player I started in 2007 and have been on and off for this game for years.

I had not heard what happened in 2012 I got distracted by other games. 

I was pleasantly surprised in just getting back together now with the 505th and Ice and Xcas that a lot has been added to the game.

More guns more pops more things added to the game.  I am enjoying myself a lot and have a good team of guys to give me the FNG a ration of crap ( its needed im a noob all over again)

So keep up the communications with us we love it.  Been gaming 28 years now myself and hope for a brighter furture with WW2online Keep up the good fight.

1 person likes this

Xoom,

Great Post...the key between "S" & "F"  on my keyboarX Xoes not work but I have to jump in anX say your presence has steaXieX anX improveX the gameplay anX the Community!  Thanks from hunXreXs of us!   :)

1 person likes this