• Announcements

• PITTPETE

NEW Career Subscriptions now available   06/08/2019

The all new highly anticipated / requested "Career Based Subscriptions" are available through www.WWIIONLINE.com/account only, starting at $9.99! There are three new subscriptions being added; 1) All Infantry at $9.99/mo, 2) All Air Forces at $9.99/mo, 3) All Ground Forces (Army Persona) at $12.99/mo. Continue reading to learn more and get back into the fight now! View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com
vixplay

Voices for soldiers.

15 posts in this topic

It might sound like a dumb question, but if there is going to be an update, would you add voices to the soldiers in the game, as they're saying something? For example their reaction, whenever we kill someone, whenever we capture something and etc.

I was just wondering, because that would be cool if this was in the game. :)

Everything that you see, happens in your client. The coordination between your client and the client of the player that "is" the enemy unit you see is minimal so as to keep the data rate down.

An avatar voice system would require significantly more data exchange between clients and the server.

1 person likes this

On 4/8/2017 at 11:19 PM, jwilly said:

Everything that you see, happens in your client. The coordination between your client and the client of the player that "is" the enemy unit you see is minimal so as to keep the data rate down.

An avatar voice system would require significantly more data exchange between clients and the server.

So basically it would be a hard thing to do? I understand now.

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 6:35 PM, vixplay said:

So basically it would be a hard thing to do? I understand now.

and would slow down other things too.

Thats really too bad, adding it could really make for a more immersive experience. Though to be honest, most sound effects in the game could use a good overhaul :mellow: I don't like comparing games that are older to newer, because it's not very fair, but dang does Battlefield 1s sound effects sound just amazing. I hope we could see improvements in this area in the future!

1 hour ago, joelcoop said:

Thats really too bad, adding it could really make for a more immersive experience. Though to be honest, most sound effects in the game could use a good overhaul :mellow: I don't like comparing games that are older to newer, because it's not very fair, but dang does Battlefield 1s sound effects sound just amazing. I hope we could see improvements in this area in the future!

You can't even really compare BF1 sound design to WW2OL or any other newer title. What you can do with Frostbite engine is amazing. Theres a reason why BF1 sound design is one of the best, if not the best in the business right now. But yeah, i get your point.

Edited by gretnine

8 hours ago, gretnine said:

You can't even really compare BF1 sound design to WW2OL or any other newer title. What you can do with Frostbite engine is amazing. Theres a reason why BF1 sound design is one of the best, if not the best in the business right now. But yeah, i get your point.

Right, I wasn't trying to say that it needed to be as good as Battlefield, just hearing the differences between the two is crazy! I'm just saying that theres plenty of improvements to the sounds that could help you feel like your more apart of this war!

On 4/13/2017 at 1:51 AM, Sparre said:

We have death screems in game. That is pretty kewl for this old rock… B)

Those need to actually be improved imo, need to sound a bit more realistic and gory. 

You don't like Wilhelm Screams?  :lol:

Actually an actor named Sheb Wooley. The go-to death sound effect in Hollywood for the past 66 years, since 1951.

Maybe if CRS records a better scream, it can be the go-to movie death sound for the next 66 years.

12 hours ago, XOOM said:

Those need to actually be improved imo, need to sound a bit more realistic and gory. 

Xoom, you sick bastage!  :)  Actually, we need to add comments by nearby soldiers, such as...  "OH!  His guts are hanging out!"  *sound of being violently ill*

Heh heh...

-Irish

7 hours ago, jwilly said:

Actually an actor named Sheb Wooley. The go-to death sound effect in Hollywood for the past 66 years, since 1951.

Sheb Wooley, often as his alter ego Ben Colder, was the Weird Al of country music, starting in the 1950s.  He even had some hits in his own right.  Check out "Purple People Eater" on YouTube.

-Irish

On 4/9/2017 at 4:19 AM, jwilly said:

What is being ask would be minimal on that data aspect we are talking about possible single bits (true or false or a id number), you aren't going to send a audio file to the client.

The client already tracks every kill of a unit that is being track on your local client, adding a scream, capture related, possible wounded would probably have no effect on this transmission of data.

Further more this would make a massive improvement, plus it's cheap @XOOM only has to go Fiver find 1 British 1 French 1 US 1 German voice actors and he probably can make this under 500$, add some radio clutter in some cases for vehicles and then converted to the frequency and bitrate of what is supported on the current engine plus he would still have the high quality version, if there was ever an improvement on the sound quality that the engine supports.

This is a no brained and this would have such a big impact on the game plus adding to it's strength realism and immersion!!

Edited by pbveteran

AI generated contextual sounds as a sort of audio background, not originating with another player, isn't what this game needs. This game advertises itself as every unit on the battlefield being human directed. Adding AI-selected, non-player-communicative "voice" sounds would be contrary to the #1 marketing theme.

@XOOM only has to go Fiver find 1 British 1 French 1 US 1 German voice actors and he probably can make this under 500$

Ummm, I don't think so. If I'm operating in proximity to six other infantrymen, I don't want them all talking with the same voice, and I don't want what they say to be noticeably repetitive--which means not hearing the same message twice in a given gaming session, or even less often that that if it's significantly memorable. And, what they say needs to make sense in that moment's game context, which makes the non-repetition problem harder because it makes messages more memorable.

The avatars near me would be actual players, but my client would have to treat them as multiple AI elements because the actual players would have no role in the "communication". Think the problem through...it's actually complicated to manage unique interactions with several AI elements when it's necessary to keep them uniquely identified.

What the game needs is for more players to be running voice comms, so there's actual voice communication between nearby units.

Death screams are fine, and they already exist. Obviously players aren't going to provide those...at least until CRS upgrades the game to that higher level of realism.

Edited by jwilly

22 minutes ago, jwilly said:

AI generated contextual sounds as a sort of audio background, not originating with another player, isn't what this game needs. This game advertises itself as every unit on the battlefield being human directed. Adding AI-selected, non-player-communicative "voice" sounds would be contrary to the #1 marketing theme.

They'd also be difficult to code and develop so that what they "said" (1) wasn't noticeably repetitive, and (2) made sense in that moment's game context.

What the game needs is for more players to be running voice comms, so there's actual voice communication between nearby units.

Death screams are fine, and they already exist. Obviously players aren't going to provide those...at least until CRS upgrades the game to that higher level of realism.

OP is not requesting A.I. sound there is no A.I. on this game that would benefit from those sounds.

Your other thread about "Re-concept the existing building models" would in contrast to this that adds few to no new data transmission, increase significantly data transmission and local increase in system requirements.

I also would rather have pre-record real soldiers voice commands rather than a bunch of old dudes burping, telling jokes, 12yo screaming and talking, that breaks immersion and roleplay from the game.

Pre-record voice commands in native languages, are cheap to implement, add immersion and realism, teach actually how to give those orders in those languages, remove chat clutter, improve teamplay at insignificant cost of performance and latency and keep user friendly aka does not allow to talk [censored] or bully other players or other nauseous behavior.

(Warthunder removed VOIP in CBT and just recently added native voice commands to all nations to much of improvement on the game)

While VOIP has the potential to add more precise communications but other than that it loses it in all other aspects to pre-recorded voice commands, there is a reason why almost all multiplayer games have voice commands rather than VOIP.

(I'm not against VOIP but pre-recorded native language voice commands should be prioritize and players should have an option to disable VOIP communications at any time)

Edited by pbveteran