Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chyrenz

Vimy Ridge 100 years later

2 posts in this topic

Exactly 100 years ago today, Canadian soldiers were tasked with taking Vimy Ridge, near Arras France, from the German army.  Vimy Ridge was a fortress that British and French soldiers had been trying to take since October 1914 at a loss of 150,000 men.  

On April 9, 1917, 4 Canadian Divisions, made up of mostly farmers, fishermen, coal miners, marched into German guns and captured the ridge in 4 days.

3500+ Canadians died, mostly in the first 24 hours, with over 7000 wounded.  

The Germans record this even as "The Week of Suffering" in that Canada fired over 1 million shells at German positions, 24 hours a day for 7 days before the troops went over the trench walls.

Canada as a whole lost over 60,000 men in France and Flanders during The Great War which is staggering considering our country had less than 8 million at the time with 6 out of 10 men being foreign born.  

Today our country is celebrating the single biggest battle in our history that not only shaped our Canadian identity, but also established Canada as a true nation.

This is a game that we all enjoy, and whether we play one side or the other I know and see everyday the respect we have for those who fought in all wars.  I salute all of you that have fought and do currently fight all over the world.

I salute CRS for providing us with a game that is really recognizing a legacy that we all share. 

Today I send out to my Canadian players a hope that you tell your families about Vimy.  Tell your children about Vimy and about all the battles that our nation fought and died in.

Never again should we, no matter where we are from, allow this type of war to happen again.  

Lest we forget.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0