chyrenz

Lone Wolfing....this is why things go bad.

44 posts in this topic

As a long time squad player (and current CO of Windhund) I'd like to take the time to address the issue of people "lone wolfing."

That's a term we use to describe players that "go it alone."  

There is absolutely ZERO benefit in this game to those of you who do it.  Pure and simple.  

Tonight 5 Windhund defended the entire south of Empel by ourselves.  We talked on Discord and moved as a team.

20 lone wolves using basic typing will not do anything.

We moved to Champlon and helped recap, moved to FB's and watched the spawn get capped.

How many times do we yell out "mark stuff?"  

How many times do we yell "tell us the enemy is there?"

1) Join a squad.

2) Download and use Discord.

Its funner and works.

3 people like this

25 minutes ago, chyrenz said:

1) Join a squad.

booted and shunned after playing the other side.

26 minutes ago, chyrenz said:

2) Download and use Discord.

[censored] third party programs. stop expecting every single player to use them, you pushers are pretentious at this point.

Chyrenz, 

1) What's fun for you is not fun for everyone.

2) Lone wolves keep this game going, even for the self-righteous squad players.

3) I like to play the losing side to improve the game play for all.  Try that in a squad, lol.

3 people like this

There's a place and a task for everyone in this game.  All types should be welcome.  

I'm a lone wolf that marks and communicates constantly. If there was a  stat for this my name would be at the top. 

1 hour ago, Sudden said:

I'm a lone wolf that marks and communicates constantly. If there was a  stat for this my name would be at the top. 

Agreed Sudden, you're for sure great, but even you have to agree that the lone wolves that don't mark or communicate is crazy in this game.

As for the comment from another poster that got booted from playing the other side, perhaps the squad you were in was an exclusive side squad and most squads do not switch sides during a camp.

I'm waiting to see what 1.36 and steam release do for the game. I agree squad play is more immersive. 

what utter nonsense, I Know quite a few lonewolves that are better single handed than some squads online.

There's lonwolves that guard, there's lonewolves that mark, there's lonewolves whol will spawn atg and tow account and stop an enemy tank column from atttcking town, you just don't see it.

there's lonewolves who just sap FB's, there's lonewolves that sap ET's and some AB cappers too.

I see quite a few, and without them the side would lose all the time.

Yes they may not accomplish a task as much as a squad, but they do all the little things in between.

4 people like this

5 hours ago, chyrenz said:

Agreed Sudden, you're for sure great, but even you have to agree that the lone wolves that don't mark or communicate is crazy in this game.

As for the comment from another poster that got booted from playing the other side, perhaps the squad you were in was an exclusive side squad and most squads do not switch sides during a camp.

Right, I get that it's frustrating from your perspective.  We've all had that experience where a random greentag throws a smoke nade on the FMS you just set up, or where they open fire during a quiet FB bust.  

Just remember, we were all lone wolves at one point.  It wasn't until someone reached out to me that I decided squads were to my benefit.  Most of these guys aren't serial griefers.  They just don't know any better.

Next time you see a lone wolf who's actions are displeasing you, do me a favor and send him a .m where you ask him (don't yell, ask) to do something different.  In my experience, 9 times out of 10 you'll get a very positive response and they will at least try to do what you asked them.  

You know, when I was in a squad there were times when I would log on and there would be few if any squad members on, so lone wolfing was the only choice.   Don't tell me you never lone wolf even if you are in a squad.

1 person likes this

The problem is the lack of in game local voice comms. Squads are really effective but some times you just need to grab a few players near you and point them in the right direction. That is very hard to do with the text chat and the current "find my channel on (name your favorite) external comm software.

One thing that does help a lot but most players do not want to do is use the mission leader as a leader. Stay back from the action, observe, coordinate, communicate. ML does not have to be the guy charging in while others follow behind.

Things would be better if you could just chat with other players based on their proximity to you. Most of us understand how to set up a perimeter but lack an easy way to grab players working near us. The mission leader is most effective when he communicates his wishes or the orders of HC or other ML's in the area. That ad-hoc temporary squad action is not easy atm.

The other obvious problem that causes so much frustration is low numbers of players. When numbers are up, and people are available, things just run better. Every time I log in and see a lot of complaints it's due to player numbers too low on a target. This game needs lots of warm bodies. When we fall too low it becomes a hatefest between those who see the need to defend and those who see the need to attack. We need both types. Steam is going to be chaos but really fun chaos when new players begin to understand the game. Until then, it's best to adjust to the moment. Sometimes you just have to hang on and deny the advance because you simply do not have the numbers to pull off a successful capture.

1 person likes this

I tried a squad and well it didn't work out but that's ok im in another.    Since ive done both sides ill give my 2 cents ive been back like 15 days now

Not in squad first.  Good side

Log on and nobody to chat with really  and just browse the map.  No sense of urgency or direction just do whatever.  Don't like what your doing go do something else who cares.

Want to use up equipment which other people might do better in.. GO FOR IT.  Heck Tigers are fun even if I don't know how to start the engine.

Explore the whole map and attack and defend wherever them green and red bars are.  Blow up FB's at will and go to bed when you want to.

Bad Side

Not reliable in some cases to GET R DONE and stick through the fight.

Not understanding movement mechanics of game and what wins beyond the twitch fighting.

Or basically having short sided goals and not long term goals.

Unwilling to accept direction toward the win over personal preference.

In a Squad.   Good side

Hang out with the same guys drunk or sober each night and listen to them laugh and rant at varying times.

Have focused communications and directional thinking with goal and asset management.

Learn a lot of cool stories and functionality of the game.

Bad Side

Sometimes people that have played a long time are a bit testy and get irritated at your mistakes

Inability to put down the Ive been here longer then you ego trip.

Protection of reputation put above truthfulness of what is going on  and fear of reprisals.

Wont allow capturing of game play or conversations because if used to refute a lie is to damaging.

Logging on and finding out you been kicked even after trying very hard to work with the group.

LOTS AND LOTS OF CUSSING which for some people just don't not jive well at all.

Mind you I risk my OWN in game reputation by saying some things but MY actions I have no problem taking responsibility for.  

This game is much like others I have played where sometimes the OLD does not like the NEW and vice versa.

However you going to play  try to be courteous and understand the game mechanics and DO YOUR BEST for its all you can ever do.

LAST POINT.

Get mad..Take a break.

Report the HELL out of stuff with videos explaining it.

DON'T BE A NEGATIVE NANCY and rant just explain what happened. 

IF you find yourself typing non stop crap on text..Just stop your not doing anything good and your gonna join the .ignore list then nobody reads it ever again.

Just my impressions since I got back and trust me campaign 135 for Axis was a dam brutal way to come back to the game.

S!

Edited by firefast
1 person likes this

A lone wolf doesn't communicate or try to work together.. for example tormented if you were trying to make a panzer collumn he would split and did whatever he wanted.

I know a few good players that don't use TS only chat that would hand Windhund  asses anytime of day, problem is that these are in short supply and honestly never seen more than 5 in the same mission.

I also honestly find that TS players make the game worst for the general battle they ignore the chat and don't give comms to the remaining players that are the majority, jesus I remember playing allied once I was the only player giving comms while axis stealth capture a town and all allied squads were silence all focus on 1 CP pretty disgusting, on the axis side you generally see a lot of chat comms even if there are just a few players.

On 4/13/2017 at 0:55 PM, Sudden said:

A lone wolf implicates you don't communicate or participate on team efforts I always see you ingame on my panzer collumns and paradrops, sudden is one of this players clear cps reports constantly enemy progress, marks etc..

Edited by pbveteran

When you pay my 2 subscriptions you can tell me how to play the game, until then you can get F'ed. 

3 people like this

Greetings,

I have seen this topic before. It is a recurring theme within the game. Most likely always will be. I would say that you have to accept the "lone wolf" aspect regardless. You can try and encourage squad and voice com play. Encourage being the key though. This is one issue where I think it is safe to say if your not part of the solution your part of the problem. I see the solution as being a gracious steward of the game. If you enjoy squad play and think it completely blows lone play away you would be better served using honey instead of vinegar in this case. The new integrated voice communications incoming will change the  dynamic some but will bring it's own set of issues that will need moderation and regulation.

I've  played some "Squad" the game, where a non-moderated server had a player blasting music constantly over the local environment channel giving away position and being a general annoyance. Here fortunately we have GM's that will most likely mitigate these issues. Besides this community would not put up with that type of behavior on the battlefield anyways. But you see my point. As for lone wolves, accept that they are there and hope for the  best if your a squad player you can only encourage and rely on your own squad in most cases. At worst you can use the presence of a lone wolf and their actions to your advantage in some cases. Like I've said though, it's a recurring topic that is sure to never go away. At least as far as I can tell.

SC :)

We are not lone wolfs-- we are independent military contractors who are free to react to all new challenges.

2 people like this

18 hours ago, GrAnit said:

What Mos said!

Mos doesn't say anything. He lets his AA gun do the talking.

13 hours ago, d3f3nd3r said:

So what are you guys gonna say when we hit Steam and we have thousands of lone wolves running around?

Firstly,  I am going to take a deep breath. Then I am going to do my best to help them.  A new wwiiol is beginning.

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, Sudden said:

Firstly,  I am going to take a deep breath. Then I am going to do my best to help them.  A new wwiiol is beginning.

Best quote of the day!

S!

Squads are lame.

Unless you're in the Squad of Lames.

101st Airborne. Screamin Eagles!!! 

1 person likes this