• Announcements

• Dodger

Seeking Squad Leaders!   04/09/2017

Soldiers!

We are seeking Squad Leaders to volunteer their squads to help us test the upcoming Squad Forums system. This system will integrate squads who wish to participate into a self-sustained "forum within a forum." You will be able to add members to your squad, assign permissions, and create forums/calendar events on your own. The idea behind this system is part of our commitment to support squads as a integral part of our community. This service will be offered free of charge to all squads of World War II Online upon launch. Our goal is to offer all of the services a squad off-site forum can offer but free of charge and tied in to our existing forum service. So what do you need tested? We need willing volunteers to test the whole system - make forums, post threads, assign permissions, etc. The idea is to have several squads giving it a test run to point out any flaws before we launch it publicly. What are the requirements? We are ideally looking for medium to large squads - Ideally ten people or so plus, but smaller squads feel free to apply - and a willingness to use our platform. It's important to note (as of now - these may be included at a later date) we are unable to convert posts from a private forum if your squad previously used one, and you (or your XO's and recruiters) will need to assign individual members permissions. It is entirely possible that in the future this system will be automatically linked to the game's squad roster, but as of now developer priorities are elsewhere (1.37 and steam, w00t!) How do I sign up? PM me ( @Dodger ) on the forums, or email me at dodger@playnet.com - Please indicate your squad name and how many members you have. I will get back to you with more instructions.

• GVONPAUL

Recruiting drive.   04/16/2017

With the anticipated influx of new players on the heels of this summer's Steam release, there is a reasonable expectation that forum traffic will increase. I'm looking for volunteers, not just to moderate, but to help answer new players' questions or direct them toward the correct answers. The forums may be a player's first contact with the game and we want to ensure that it is a positive experience. A happy player is a player who sticks around and the more new players we can retain, the more resources we will have for development.
      With that in mind, we are looking for current players with a positive attitude and posting history. PM me if you are interested.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pvtpetey

What keymap configuration is best for IVC (integrated voice comms)?

11 posts in this topic

With the next patch comes voice coms and being considered, including:

• Local Chat: Proximity based, how close you are to friendly or foe forces.
  • Mission Chat: Be able to communicate to all participants on your mission.
  • Mission Leader Chat: If you are a mission leader assigned to a Target, this channel would act as an organization / command channel.
  • Squad Chat: Chat with your squad members globally throughout the Campaign.
  • High Command Chat: Talk with fellow HC officers in-game.

given five different buttons that is further complicated by area chat I've been wondering what the best control system of transmitting over the net would be. A few suggested solution:

Alternative mutually exclusive solutions:

1) Bearing in mind f1 through f5 are already allocated - would it be simpler just to remove the chat console and make voice coms the only means of communication. (including enter to transmit over local area chat)

2) maybe pressing and holding for a second or a pre determined amount of time f1 through f6 could give context sensitive use of the existing chat channels and text?  This allows you to tap f1-f5 to use text and f1-f5 voice chat if you press and hold these channels.

3) If you press a voice chat button e.g. on the mac option; and then a circle will appear on the screen and then you just select a fraction of this circle marked local chat, mission chat, mission leader chat, squad chat and high command chat, depending on permissions (if you're mission leader or HC).

concept image:

5NuM50rWm.pngin the

In this image the user presses and holds mb3 (the mouse wheel) and then a circle appears with N options for voice chat. Moving the cursor over one emboldens the label for the relevant channel. The highlighting of a sector of the circle allows the user to transmit to that channel. The transmission is halted when the user lets go of the key or mouse button. More channels would mean more equally divided sectors - more than the four pictured for mission, mission leader, squad etc.

4) Option three gives the alternative that you could just select the channel that you want to transmit to like a room in discord and then the player doesn't have to press a button on the mic to transmit. This sub option means that the user can pick a channel to participate in and only hear from that channel when listening.

Edited by pvtpetey
added concept image

My question is how do you hear all the channels at all the same time like if your on a mission and these people in your squad talking you can't hear the people in your mission or if you are in Hc imagine how confusing it's going to be for them

Edited by oxford09

I propose that HC can tune in to different missions and can switch the frequencies which will switch to different missions or brigades this will make it more easily to talk to different missions also it can make the talk a bit more organised but the idear of choosing the different radio types is good idear 

Theres also an added problem: if you select a channel to transmit to, which is mutually exclusive then will that be audio be audible on proximity based chat. We'll end up with people sounding like paranoid schizophrenics talking to themselves from the perspective of proximity chat.

a final and more authentic way to communicate might be with something like this radio set from the paper WW2 British Army Battlefield Wireless Communications Equipment:

with the WS38 all users are equipped with a radio or a single man in the company is responsible for voice communications over net. When a user wants to communicate they press a button and the model is shown for the WS38 as an example. The user can then move the dial by clicking and dragging the model and then setting the channel that they want to listen into - mission, squad, local, HC etc.

I think just simple key maps for each channel? To bring up a menu and use a mouse to talk would be inhibiting and annoying.

its probably best to just set a channel and receive from just that channel - even so f1-f5 are already allocated for text chat. so the question arises: do we keep f1-f5 for text chat or restrict it for voice coms.

f1 through f8 are already taken - i'm not sure you can do shift f5 without it becoming cumbersome. Maybe the idea i hat for a chat wheel to appear has some merit - you just use mb3 to make it appear and then select a single channel to receive and transmit to imo.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0