Ltaralex

MEDIC!

9 posts in this topic

PLEASE put a medic class into the game. the medic doesn't have to be over powered but can bandage gunshot and shrapnel wounds and give players morphine to bring back their stamina but not magically bringing them back too life. The medic class load-out could be ; a bolt action rifle ( lee enfield, kar 98k, mas 36, springfield) , 2 smoke grenades, 2 frag grenades, knife,binoculars, 3 bandage's, 3 morphine's and the appropriate medic uniform for that time.

1 person likes this

a better idea would be to allow anyone to RTB in proximity of the medic or to take back to spawn the KIA.

Edited by pvtpetey

Discussed many many times over the past sixteen years. Search out the prior threads for various proposed mechanics and game effects, and information on past CRS responses.

Medics cannot carry weapons.  At least not in WW2 Europe.   Load out, to be realistic, should only be a medical bag.

In a game like this medics would be certain targets.

As for value-- if you are shot you are combat ineffective for the most part and should leave the battlefield.  A Medics job was to patch and send the wounded to field hospitals, not patch and send them back into battle.

So - you are wounded- continue with your wounds until you bleed out  or respawn (and hopefully RTB, if you are KIA then the wounds were too bad for a medic to treat anyway)-- it provides the same service as a medic.

The latter part of Blakeh's response above has been the historical CRS response. (I.e., the first ~15 years, prior to the current Rat team.)

Additionaly, the infantry collider model--the volume of the body that can be hit by a projectile--is smaller than the visible body so that "flesh wounds" to the periphery of the limbs and torso are excluded. The game concept was that flesh wounds would be taken care of by implied medics or other soldiers. The modeled hittable areas are ones for which a bullet, fragment or shell impact is eventually or immediately fatal. A bullet through an arm or leg that hits a bone, or a fragment that goes through any part of the torso, for instance, is not going to be fixed with a bandage and some morphine. 

CRS had discussed in the past that medics could be added to the game, not to return wounded players to fighting--if medics were given that functionality, the game also would have to model a second kind of medic-treatable wound around the periphery of the existing damage volumes, and there'd be more hits overall--but instead as a new kind of marketable gameplay. A wounded player, either before despawn or for a short time thereafter, that was reached by a medic-player and wasn't "dead" yet might be able to be saved. For a despawn on the field, attribution of the despawn status would be held for a brief time. If a medic was able to stabilize the "wounded" soldier and the conditions allowed rescue, the injured player would get a Rescued. All other wounded despawns would be KIA.

There would have been a lot of work involved in creating that gameplay, and the resources never were available.

Edited by jwilly

If you guys get medic - I want a magic spanner for my tank... and I want to fly low over a certain area so my plane is resupplied...

I.e. it is just redundant and completely at odds with the fundamental concept behind the game.

why not allow medics to pick up corpses on the field and let them return them to spawnable to restock supply? might be a good way for f2p or lower ranking players to get points 

I'm quite sure that medic gameplay, if ever developed, would not about picking up corpses. A corpse is a corpse. A player that's been killed shouldn't be able to be magically brought back to life.

With some wounds, it takes a while to bleed out. Those injuries could be eligible to be stabilized.

In all past discussions of medic concepts by CRS, back in the old dayts, I don't recall any mention of a medic-save having any effect on spawn lists. A seriously wounded soldier that's evaculated is just as gone from the fight for the foreseeable future as if he was killed.

There was some discussion of a possible morale system. One of the several parameters that might raise the morale of infantrymen near a casualty was to have been a medic saving that man's life. If you study what medics actually did in WWII, their morale effect on nearby friendlies was the most striking thing.

XOOM has mentioned the possibility of Medics in the future. No idea when or how, but it has been mentioned.

We can discuss it to death (and I have in previous threads); but right now all that some of us can do is hope that the company does better, can implement the current items on the road map, and eventually be able to look at the idea further down the road.