shakerip

Driving Equipment

6 posts in this topic

I have seen (as in physically been present) people driving all vehicles in the game using a joystick and/or keyboard and mouse. Does or has anyone ever use a steering wheel, pedals or any other racing sim equipment for driving in the game? 

I use :

pedals- for  steering control in my tank, and for  rudder  Control input.

stick- Breaking for tanks, flight controls ,  steering for trucks, and ships. 

Throttle control – all  throttle input.

track ball-  turret movement,  basically all gun laying, infentry directional movement.

I do. Used to use my wheel for driving armored cars and trucks. And pedals for brakes and gas. But it got in my way of everything else. So now I steer with a js and still use the pedals.

Rudder pedals are great for driving tanks in this game. You just have to go through and map the toe brakes to each track's clutch. By popping the clutch at certain times you can turn while stopped much quicker, and when on road trips you can make slight adjustments without killing your tank's momentum with the brakes. It sounds strange but they also allow you to drive while keeping both hands free to type on the keyboard; this was really useful back when mission leaders had to constantly drive trucks.

Don't bother with a joystick for aiming though, mouse is just so much better even for AA guns. Use pedals, have your throttle available maybe but leave all aiming to the mouse.

The 232 is a seriously unstable vehicle but it can be driven long distances really easily by changing the control scheme to keyboard and mouse while driving long distance. Switch back to joystick when close to town. Something about joystick use and the 232 = 232 on it's side.

Also with destroyers, same thing, if you set it to KB/mouse, it makes travelling long distance much easier. None of this gradual turn to the port/starboard.

5 hours ago, david01 said:

Rudder pedals are great for driving tanks in this game. You just have to go through and map the toe brakes to each track's clutch. By popping the clutch at certain times you can turn while stopped much quicker, and when on road trips you can make slight adjustments without killing your tank's momentum with the brakes. It sounds strange but they also allow you to drive while keeping both hands free to type on the keyboard; this was really useful back when mission leaders had to constantly drive trucks

Huh, ya I Will need to try that with the toe breaks, mine are mapped together presently and slight pressure will result in smooth turns even the way they are but your right the sharp turn really slow you down.