• Announcements

• GVONPAUL

New Community Volunteer Opportunity   04/29/2017

With the looming Steam release, we are anticipating many new players to the game. This is great for all of us, and it's important that we retain as many as we can. With that in mind, we'd like to enlist players to help with the inevitable questions asked in the forums. Ideally, gameplay questions are asked and answered in-game, but it's not always easy or convenient to answer questions while playing. A Gameplay Support Forum would be a good place for those who want to help. We are now accepting volunteers for the Rat Patrol, who will provide correct and consistent info to new players in the Forums. The more new players we retain, the better it is for the game and the biggest hurdle in player retention is grasping the complexities of this game. If you are interested, send me a PM.  
    • Dodger

Squad Leaders Contact GVONPAUL OR Dodger for Squad Forums   05/18/2017

Soldiers!

We are seeking Squad Leaders to volunteer their squads to help us test the upcoming Squad Forums system. This system will integrate squads who wish to participate into a self-sustained "forum within a forum." You will be able to add members to your squad, assign permissions, and create forums/calendar events on your own. The idea behind this system is part of our commitment to support squads as a integral part of our community. This service will be offered free of charge to all squads of World War II Online upon launch. Our goal is to offer all of the services a squad off-site forum can offer but free of charge and tied in to our existing forum service. So what do you need tested? We need willing volunteers to test the whole system - make forums, post threads, assign permissions, etc. The idea is to have several squads giving it a test run to point out any flaws before we launch it publicly. What are the requirements? We are ideally looking for medium to large squads - Ideally ten people or so plus, but smaller squads feel free to apply - and a willingness to use our platform. It's important to note (as of now - these may be included at a later date) we are unable to convert posts from a private forum if your squad previously used one, and you (or your XO's and recruiters) will need to assign individual members permissions. It is entirely possible that in the future this system will be automatically linked to the game's squad roster, but as of now developer priorities are elsewhere (1.37 and steam, w00t!) How do I sign up? PM me ( @Dodger ) on the forums, or email me at dodger@playnet.com - Please indicate your squad name and how many members you have. I will get back to you with more instructions.

kuronyra

A point of view form a returning player about Steam Release and what it could do.

44 posts in this topic

Hello guys!

So, I have make multiples breaks since I started playing that game and like most people I am looking forward to play at this game with a much more bigger playerbase than it currently has.

However, the Steam Release could have multiples  "finish".

- The game is a flop, and not a lot of person are interested: Multiple reason can be tell for why.

1, the game looks "bad"(stupid reason but yeah, it will matter for most person)

2, review won't be made and won't bring people into the hype

3, People aren't interested in a MMOFPS of WWII and if people wait for a WWII game, there is a good chance it is the next call of duty.

- The game got a spike of population and here there is way it could go on.

1, Side will be equal in number and the Overpop will be solved (very doubtful)

2, most player will want to play the vilains because they have the better stuff (seriously, on World of tank, most player started using the Germans because of the Tiger in the game) and it will just create more problems.

3, could go for both 1 & 2: But the spike won't last for a lots of time and people will rapidly leave because of the difficulty of the gameplay: If that isn't done already, I think it would be a good idea to make video tutorial about the chat system, and how the game work. Lots of people will expect fast action when coming into this game.

I think we should before Steam release is made try to create some solution for the Overpop problem, that problem could KILL the game if there is a giant spike of population coming up.

Also, I fear that new players will want to join Axis because of the Old Propaganda that made them so popular. (And I think the Allies need there own Heavy Tank. Like the Firefly, or the Pershing who would be a perfect counter for the Tiger)

Just my two cents, sorry for my English. I don't know how to explain everything very well, but I am at the same type looking forward for the Steam Release AND worried about it. :/

1 person likes this

99,9% off all pc gamers in the World dident hear anything about the game. So Steam is a great chance for make it more populär.

I do not like Steam but CRS do the right way with the Steam relase. 

After the realase maby 0,5-1,0 mio people try this game every year. If only 1-2% from this all stay after this try in the game we win :).

With this new playerbase and the new money CRS can work better  and faster for new updates like graphic or all the orher bad thinks you tell us in your post.

The Tiger is not overpowerd. mostly matilda or the char have a better K/D. Many times a Allied Player is the best tanker in the game.

And i read often in the axis chat from a angry Axis players that a swetty panhard kill his tiger :D.

Edited by sajuk
2 people like this

I don't recall saying the Tiger was OP.

I only said he was the only Heavy tank of the game. And I mean really Heavy tank. The Churchill barely count in comparaison, I think the Americans need the Pershing have more diversity instead of the usual shermans combos. :3

You raise a lot of valid points  but  as mentioned above only a small percentage of those that try the game need to stick around after having done so for it to be a success.

this game has a lot of things going for  other games can come close to, scope and scale  namely, and potential, all of which will increase exponentially as the player base increases because with that as noted above so will CRS's  ability to provide those things. 

I may Mone And grone a bit about tier three,  with its tigers, schrecks, sappers  and occasional  Luftwaffe  interlude being a royal pain in the [censored], but teir zero is for the allies what tier 3 is for the axis.

I would really love to see the Firefly, it is a variant of an existing vehicle and in theory would thus be easy to add and it would be done in limited numbers it would have a glass jaw and it would balance out The Tigers range advantage a bit  so I think there's a good case for it being added alone. The reason I suggest that is for the sake of expediency typically when they add something new  it has to be part of a complete set for the axis and the allies for the sake of balance but in this case I can't see it being destabilizing.

all the tankers quit... there's no need to cater to them anymore, their newest vehicles reflect the fact perfectly. they're soo easy for inf to kill... the new set of planes are also made to kill tanks. they won't even remove the antenna on the 232.

IDK about people choosing axis only, when i started i played both, axis was toxic that week (getting rolled) so i went allied. the allies also have better/noob friendly low tier armor like the H39 and A13, i couldn't do jack with the 3f and 38t.

When player see screen in optic view still resolutions not good to see enemy at 1000M.

Sit in tank and see smoke and fog, not tank fire on you. bad graphic bad play, lag and stutter, fog all on the place and not see anything 

resolution is bad and engine is old

A lot of good points.  

The biggest thing CRS can do to ensure good player retention after the Steam release is introducing some type of balancing mechanic.  

I also expect the Axis to get a larger share of the overall interest.  But you also have to consider that when Steam is released, it will likely coincide with a new campaign.  That means those new Axis players will get their first taste of Allied gear during T0, which is easily the most Allied-dominant tier in the game.  Map starting position, Allied heavy tanks, and the best RDP tier for DB7s all culminate into a pretty steep slope for the Axis.  

There will probably be a good chunk of sideswitchers going back and forth during that first week.  

2 people like this

(Ho my god, a HC posted on my thread! That is worth every medal! )

More seriously: yeah, if it's during the start of the campaign. Allies will probably dominate, and then it will equilibrate on his own at the end. What I fear is people joining in MASS the Axis side because of all the "cool" stuff.

Remember that most person who play WWII games are familiar with games like World of Tank or War Thunder, and in there, Germans are VERY popular. There is also the new Call of Duty that will probably give some light to that period again.

Some camp allied are overpop and some camp axis are overpop.

In total history both side win around 50%

And the axis stuff is not cooler then the allied one. 

Just now, sajuk said:

In total history both side win around 50%

That's not actually correct 

the allied side has a lot more variety, 4 SMG's, like 15 tanks, 5 different air frames, 4 rifles, and much more satisfying AAA.

as well as the most noob friendly aircraft: the hurricane.

all the good axis stuff need rank.

Vets can come here and argue why this side of the other is better. Why this Tier or that Tier is better for each side.

But none of that matters to a new player. They don't know about that stuff. What they know is ... German equipment is cool.

They first few times I logged into this game; back in '01, I logged in as Axis. Because German equipment is cool.  Iconic! 

New players will not understand the nuances of the game that attempt to balance out the sides.  They just want to try the cool stuff. 

And this leads to the next problem. They won't be able to "try the cool stuff" if they have to wait for each Tier before hand.

But, (and this supports my F2P thread)... noobs will want to start paying to play ASAP so they have access to the "cool stuff" ... and the side they want if CRS comes to their senses regarding balance.

If the sides aren't balanced and offer fair play, then all this is moot. Because, noobs won't stick around if the sides aren't fairly balanced. It's just common sense. 

Edited by lipton
1 person likes this

On 5/14/2017 at 11:25 AM, major0noob said:

all the tankers quit... there's no need to cater to them anymore, their newest vehicles reflect the fact perfectly. they're soo easy for inf to kill... the new set of planes are also made to kill tanks. they won't even remove the antenna on the 232.

IDK about people choosing axis only, when i started i played both, axis was toxic that week (getting rolled) so i went allied. the allies also have better/noob friendly low tier armor like the H39 and A13, i couldn't do jack with the 3f and 38t.

The new HE model will make tanks devastating to infantry.  It could be a slaughter with the new high frag count models.

Edited by GrAnit

5 hours ago, sajuk said:

Axis win 67 camp from 137 its maby around 50%

67/131 =.51 X 100 = 51% (Excludes current campaign and Truces/draw)

So essentially even. 

That's not actually correct 

42 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

The new HE model will make tanks devastating to infantry.  It could be a slaughter with the new high frag count models.

thats what they said the last 2 times

1 person likes this

The lure of the bad guys didn't stop there from being more pilots and tankers on the allied side. This is because the newbs that choose a side based on a superficial decision don't stick around if it sucks to play that side, and it certainly sucks in this game to fly or tank as axis. Axis had more people because they had great squads, and guilds are kind of important in a MMO. Allies were full of people that viewed squads as a necessary evil at best and openly hated them at worst.

The main problem with the game isn't imbalance but a serious lack of content (fighting). That's why population continued to decline with every new rule added to fix imbalance by reducing the opportunities for a fight. People play a MMOFPS to fight, and if this game releases on Steam and there's no fighting then it will flop. No one wants to play a [censored] board game or have it interfere with their fun. If players wanted a perfectly balanced game they'd play something else that has matchmaking like World of Tanks.

People here keep assuming that ww2online is a good game with good gameplay, and that there's just some other issue keeping gamers from playing it. This issue (whatever it is) will be solved by a Steam release. That's not true at all. The current gameplay is bad and that's why not many are playing it. The best hope for the Steam release is to change the gameplay so that it is good. Whether 1.36 can do that remains to be seen but it looks like CRS is making an honest attempt attempt at improving the gameplay instead of just doubling-down on bad decisions. If it does then the Steam release will go well and pop will increase.

On 2017-5-14 at 11:34 AM, sajuk said:

99,9% off all pc gamers in the World dident hear anything about the game. So Steam is a great chance for make it more populär.

What makes you say that ? there are 500.000 users register on this forum.. At most only new gamers kids mostly haven't heard about it.

Getting real sick of having MY post deleted. And I'm willing to be $$$ on who did it.

Edited by lipton

52 minutes ago, lipton said:

Getting real sick of having MY post deleted. And I'm willing to be $$$ on who did it.

yep it was me - keep instigating and I'll start to do more than just hide the posts.

4 hours ago, david01 said:

The lure of the bad guys didn't stop there from being more pilots and tankers on the allied side. This is because the newbs that choose a side based on a superficial decision don't stick around if it sucks to play that side, and it certainly sucks in this game to fly or tank as axis. Axis had more people because they had great squads, and guilds are kind of important in a MMO. Allies were full of people that viewed squads as a necessary evil at best and openly hated them at worst.

I agree with your first point.  The second though..... The Allied side has (and had) great squads, for whatever reason though they tend to be smaller.  Historically the German side has had fewer squads, but they were huge (in some cases truly massive) while the allies have tended to have more squads in number but smaller in size.  Not sure why exactly, but that's the end effect.  

As a squad leader, I missed the memo that the allies thought squads were the coming of Satan and best to be avoided. 

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, B2K said:

yep it was me - keep poking others and I'll start to do more than just hide the posts.

Sorry. Didn't realize I had done anything that was against the Terms of Service.  I'll read them again.

15 minutes ago, lipton said:

Sorry. Didn't realize I had done anything that was against the Terms of Service.  I'll read them again.

it's been explained to you via pm already why some posts go away (to include some that may not technically violate TOS (but are really really close)).  That hasn't changed.  

Any further questions with regards to forum moderation need to be sent via PM, as publicly discussing the issue can be a TOS violation. 

4 hours ago, david01 said:

The main problem with the game isn't imbalance but a serious lack of content (fighting). That's why population continued to decline with every new rule added to fix imbalance by reducing the opportunities for a fight. People play a MMOFPS to fight, and if this game releases on Steam and there's no fighting then it will flop. No one wants to play a [censored] board game or have it interfere with their fun. If players wanted a perfectly balanced game they'd play something else that has matchmaking like World of Tanks.

People here keep assuming that ww2online is a good game with good gameplay, and that there's just some other issue keeping gamers from playing it. This issue (whatever it is) will be solved by a Steam release. That's not true at all. The current gameplay is bad and that's why not many are playing it. The best hope for the Steam release is to change the gameplay so that it is good. Whether 1.36 can do that remains to be seen but it looks like CRS is making an honest attempt attempt at improving the gameplay instead of just doubling-down on bad decisions. If it does then the Steam release will go well and pop will increase.

I cannot deny that it generally sucks to tank as Axis by comparison (T1 with the 3h is probably their best overall armor tier).  But historical stats completely reject the notion that flying Axis sucks.  Before Stats 2.0, I ran the numbers on overall K/D for Axis and Allies, fighter vs fighter (including fighter-bombers).  The historical Allied K/D was 0.95.  If you removed both the 110s from the calculation, the Allied K/D dropped to 0.77.  But I'm sure all your anecdotal information will continue to convince you otherwise.  

Also, I'm not saying there isn't room for improvement (there's massive room in fact), but WWIIOL is still a good game with good gameplay even in its current form.  The one thing that keeps it from achieving that good gameplay is a lack of players.  When this game has pop and is rolling on all cylinders, it's extraordinarily fun.  While these moments are rare, I have yet to experience equivalent "highs" in other games.  On some level, I know you feel the same.  Otherwise you wouldn't keep posting here.  

When the Steam version is released, there will be great battles and lots of fun, even if CRS does nothing from this moment on other than Steam.  That's simply a function of the expected population spike.  BUT, if we want to actually take steps forward and get that good gameplay around the clock, CRS needs to keep working hard.  

Thankfully, they are.