• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
obear71

DAy 1 player, long time no play.......hhhmmmm How about Lumberyard?

10 posts in this topic

So it's been a  while, I used to live in this game.

Booted up for the first time in quite some time, nice to see some progress as it was stagnant for a few years back in the day.

Now I'm a day one player, I played for many years and never has the graphics been an issue for me. not once, it was all about the gameplay and the graphics were just fine.

However, this time, as i logged in and was presented with them it was very jarring.  Tech has moved on so much that now, everything was harsh.

I would imagine any new players would have a similar result and perhaps without a fond memory of how the gameplay is.

The look and feel of the game has honestly not changed much since 2001, and certainly not a lot in the last decade.

I know this is no simple undertaking, but i think it's something that does need to be done for longevity and new blood.   but we really need a new engine.

Now not long ago that meant paying tens of thousands and more for a decent engine, but now we have the likes of Amazons Lumberyard,  a AAA game engine based from a branch of the Cryengine, and not only that but built into Amazon web servers, so global servers that can be spun up and down dynamically dependant on load.  Always on, no downtime and ZERO local maintenance.

Surely as a back project, and as its free to download and use, now's the time to start and kick off a modern up to date and fully supported engine by one fo the worlds, largest companies.?>

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

And engine that many developers and hobbyists know how to sue, instead of learning some bespoke engine.

huge support options.

Edited by obear71

There was a post and some loose talk about going with UE4 engine in the future but need some money for that to happen

why would they do that?   its great if you got a stash of cash but this project is constantly run off the back os player support.

Lumberyard is Free, you can utilised Amazon servers around the world which can be spun up or down on demand and not have the expense of running your own or trying to keep them running.

I have it on my drive now, they could have it now and start utilising it.

Star Citizen is using the Lumberyard engine, if it can run SC it can run a WWIIonline revamped version.

I believe all the new animations and graphics will be compatible with the current engine and UE4 ready as well

2 hours ago, obear71 said:

So it's been a  while, I used to live in this game.

Booted up for the first time in quite some time, nice to see some progress as it was stagnant for a few years back in the day.

Now I'm a day one player, I played for many years and never has the graphics been an issue for me. not once, it was all about the gameplay and the graphics were just fine.

However, this time, as i logged in and was presented with them it was very jarring.  Tech has moved on so much that now, everything was harsh.

I would imagine any new players would have a similar result and perhaps without a fond memory of how the gameplay is.

The look and feel of the game has honestly not changed much since 2001, and certainly not a lot in the last decade.

I know this is no simple undertaking, but i think it's something that does need to be done for longevity and new blood.   but we really need a new engine.

Now not long ago that meant paying tens of thousands and more for a decent engine, but now we have the likes of Amazons Lumberyard,  a AAA game engine based from a branch of the Cryengine, and not only that but built into Amazon web servers, so global servers that can be spun up and down dynamically dependant on load.  Always on, no downtime and ZERO local maintenance.

Surely as a back project, and as its free to download and use, now's the time to start and kick off a modern up to date and fully supported engine by one fo the worlds, largest companies.?>

https://aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/

And engine that many developers and hobbyists know how to sue, instead of learning some bespoke engine.

huge support options.

I am a day 1 player as well and the look has definitely changed since 2001. Especially with how the trees/bushes look after speed tree was added. I think CRS has also retextured most objects since 2001.

Your point is well taken though. It looks outdated and has not changed much in the last 10 years.

I wonder if CRS could easily update bushes/trees with an updated version of speed tree.

good to hear from you obear and rsix -  I believe any and all changes are, as usual a question of $$$.  and $$$ = players  - maybe some new doors will open up with a successful steam launch and influx of player-subscribers. 

Welcome back S! 

Hopefully steam will bring back more pop and active battles... once this happens then we can work on a new engine ... but we need to use one that will allow how this game works it is not like others and has a lot of custom code.

If they do change engine - I for one am hoping for OUTERRA!

Also - OHM - looks like you are caught in a catch-22 situation - you want more players to re-do engine, but players won't come until engine looks good.....