XOOM

Brigade Removal Frozen for Steam "Early Access"

514 posts in this topic

Hopefully I'll say this for the last time... 

Any TOE suggestions brought forth now are just stop-gap measures for the Steam release, and testing beds for concepts before 1.36 is released. 

I genuinely believe the only way to move on from lapses of HC coverage is to have some form of supply in the towns, although I am firmly against 100% town supply.  

If any of these suggestions fixes that main issue when no HC are online I'll be pleasantly surprised.  

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, Capco said:

Hopefully I'll say this for the last time... 

Any TOE suggestions brought forth now are just stop-gap measures for the Steam release, and testing beds for concepts before 1.36 is released. 

I genuinely believe the only way to move on from lapses of HC coverage is to have some form of supply in the towns, although I am firmly against 100% town supply.  

If any of these suggestions fixes that main issue when no HC are online I'll be pleasantly surprised.  

Ok I will float this idea I posted it a long time ago. Remove the Brigade system no flags just town based supply. HC can stay but only to place a AO now these attack orders would not be for 1 town but for a area of the front spanning say 4 or 5 towns.  From that point on  the squads with the organizing help of the HC would take over the tactical level operations leaving them with options for multiple targets and allowing them to be mobile in there thinking.  Example a armor run that swings wide of a few towns to hit the target from a more advantageous angle then say straight from the fire base which in my book currently is always a frontal assault or feels like it. I get the urge to yell once more into the breech every time a  new AO goes up now. Maybe this way HC members would not get so burnt out beyond just setting the target AOE attack order and if they wish helping to organize would be there only duty.  Its a simple concept and I am sure others will find the faults in it but it is the best I can think of that would satisfy both camps.

Edited by zbus

Ill say this about TO&E, it could have worked well if some of the old system was incorporated into the TO&E. IMHO a hybrid system should have been in place but that was not the case. What TO&E did was fail to see that a good portion of the game relied on ownership of the gamer, and the social aspect that came along with town based supply relating to overstocking. TO&E restricted overstocking considerably by only allowing HQ to  overstock. While convoys and tank columns where possible, they where just not feasible and created a risk because the HQ was emergency supply that could be warped in. It is the gamers nature to have the biggest best most capable equipment possible to be uber, however the other side of this end of this mindset is overwhelming firepower via supply.

There is a reason why, when I was axis we would count the Matties destroyed and as allied would count the 88s destroyed. The ONLY trump card was we also had no idea if that town had been overstocked. I know that in one town as an allied player the town had 3- 4 links to it, but the town had 28 Matties available, 65 A13s and 50+ 2pdr atgs. I personally spent about 3 hours the day before moving up supply and earlier in the day about another 3 hours or so, 3 matties personally from ABs 3 towns behind the lines with my small squad to reinforce the bottleneck town because we where losing the linking towns.  3 hours of BSing around in chat. When the Axis attacked that town we lost over half the Matties but countered one of the linking towns after the mass attack failed and took it in about 45 minutes. That was supposed to be a sure win for the axis, however they had no idea how much supply we had 

NO HC was responsible for the supply, the regular small squad (6 of us) spending time and effecting the map personally.  This game is different in the fact that its not just a game about running around and shooting things in short order. Its a game that some battles for towns take days. That means time, and time just running around shooting things gets boring. So the social aspect HAS to be a part of the game, TO&E took away a major part of that aspect and we gave it a go, however after a while like many shoebox shooters its fun for a while but it becomes boring and when boring hits you need a way to change up and do something that actually can make a difference.  That key was unrestricted overstocking and overstocking was successful because supply could be brought up from towns behind the lines and TBH I personally have brought up supply from 4 towns behind the lines. The overstocking ability was a major source of the social aspect and the excitement of what was to come. We tried overstocking when TO&E happened just to have the HQ move in anyway or we could not overstock to make any significant difference.  Now we have softcaps with no shooting going on, cut offs that do more damage to having ACTUAL supply to fight with - even with warping brigades... which leads to more softcaps, so its a double wammy.

IMHO if this aspect is ignored there will be more bleeding

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, stankyus said:

Ill say this about TO&E, it could have worked well if some of the old system was incorporated into the TO&E. IMHO a hybrid system should have been in place but that was not the case. What TO&E did was fail to see that a good portion of the game relied on ownership of the gamer, and the social aspect that came along with town based supply relating to overstocking. TO&E restricted overstocking considerably by only allowing HQ to  overstock. While convoys and tank columns where possible, they where just not feasible and created a risk because the HQ was emergency supply that could be warped in. It is the gamers nature to have the biggest best most capable equipment possible to be uber, however the other side of this end of this mindset is overwhelming firepower via supply.

There is a reason why, when I was axis we would count the Matties destroyed and as allied would count the 88s destroyed. The ONLY trump card was we also had no idea if that town had been overstocked. I know that in one town as an allied player the town had 3- 4 links to it, but the town had 28 Matties available, 65 A13s and 50+ 2pdr atgs. I personally spent about 3 hours the day before moving up supply and earlier in the day about another 3 hours or so, 3 matties personally from ABs 3 towns behind the lines with my small squad to reinforce the bottleneck town because we where losing the linking towns.  3 hours of BSing around in chat. When the Axis attacked that town we lost over half the Matties but countered one of the linking towns after the mass attack failed and took it in about 45 minutes. That was supposed to be a sure win for the axis, however they had no idea how much supply we had 

NO HC was responsible for the supply, the regular small squad (6 of us) spending time and effecting the map personally.  This game is different in the fact that its not just a game about running around and shooting things in short order. Its a game that some battles for towns take days. That means time, and time just running around shooting things gets boring. So the social aspect HAS to be a part of the game, TO&E took away a major part of that aspect and we gave it a go, however after a while like many shoebox shooters its fun for a while but it becomes boring and when boring hits you need a way to change up and do something that actually can make a difference.  That key was unrestricted overstocking and overstocking was successful because supply could be brought up from towns behind the lines and TBH I personally have brought up supply from 4 towns behind the lines. The overstocking ability was a major source of the social aspect and the excitement of what was to come. We tried overstocking when TO&E happened just to have the HQ move in anyway or we could not overstock to make any significant difference.  Now we have softcaps with no shooting going on, cut offs that do more damage to having ACTUAL supply to fight with - even with warping brigades... which leads to more softcaps, so its a double wammy.

IMHO if this aspect is ignored there will be more bleeding

Yes yes yes this ten fold. I used to spend time during the morning doing the exact same thing was with the 101st then. heck we even had fun chasing the movements of the 94th like when we caught them trying to mass armor across country to hit Verdun only to be meet with massed ATG battery on the monastery hill. Was a joy to behold watching all that armor go up in smoke. Heck we even had about a 50 tank run each side so 100 tanks drive right into each other in open ground between towns . Guess both sides had the same idea. Its stuff like that the current system cant compete against hours of fun made by the player base not the HC imagine that. 

1 person likes this

is this even still up for debate? i thought it was a 100% we are going back to town based supply, or have i missed the memo saying we changed out mind?

23 minutes ago, dm79 said:

is this even still up for debate? i thought it was a 100% we are going back to town based supply, or have i missed the memo saying we changed out mind?

Going back to town based supply is still the goal. I think the arguments being posted are multi-faceted and people are lobbing how this should be achieved. One is a hybrid system which I am inclined to lean for. One is to make sure that squad tools come into play with TBS. etc... I am trying to put the impetus in the fact that delay is a bigger deal and should not be taking a back seat. Certainly new toys will help bring back numbers but that's temporary. I also believe its important to understand what made the game successful at keeping players, which is simply in broad terms Ownership by the regular PB, and the social aspect.  TO&E eliminated a good portion of that and I explained why in my previous post.  I used to play Quake for instance and we would get into team battles, after about an hour of hi-speed die/spawn rinse and repeat the bordome set in.. That lasted about a year for me and I never touched another twitch game again. Our map changes from town to town and no fight is exactly the same in agregate but in reality its a spawn/die rinse and repeat. That will become boring UNLESS you can create your own advantage and fun.. which again I outlined above.

2 hours ago, Capco said:

2 hours ago, Capco said:

Dude, how can you even say this?

Pretty much the entire problem lies with having NO HC on when it matters most.

That's the single biggest problem we have. Why would it be so surprising to you that removing the entire aspect of the bogus "strategy layer" that hinders action and fun, or counter moves with it's idiotic UI wouldn't help?

Why, Capco?

WHY?

You defend this crap and it's clear to all that you simply won't let go of the notion that the playerbase has to follow HC around.  HC is supposed to facilitate better gameplay by supporting; not dictating.

It think that's your biggest hang up here... that you won't let go of the "HC comes first" mentality.

HC should come second, or not at all... *Austin powers reference*

3 people like this

If there were 10 HC on every minute, at all times we probably wouldnt be having this argument/discussion

Edited by Pittpete

3 hours ago, zbus said:

Yes yes yes this ten fold. I used to spend time during the morning doing the exact same thing was with the 101st then. heck we even had fun chasing the movements of the 94th like when we caught them trying to mass armor across country to hit Verdun only to be meet with massed ATG battery on the monastery hill. Was a joy to behold watching all that armor go up in smoke. Heck we even had about a 50 tank run each side so 100 tanks drive right into each other in open ground between towns . Guess both sides had the same idea. Its stuff like that the current system cant compete against hours of fun made by the player base not the HC imagine that. 

+10 for the old days.  

2 hours ago, dm79 said:

Our mission is, as soon as practical, to make 1.36 come to life. That is not considered practical at this moment for the reasons I have previously mentioned throughout the lifetime of this thread, go back and look to see my commentary if you're interested.

In the interim we are trying to clamp some key issues pending further development moving forward on this topic.

I think the greatest debate stems from those who believe we should invest our resources into making 1.36 happen, prior to Steam. What is commonly not being acknowledged is the current state of 1.36, the work required to get it where it needs to be, and our goal to make it on Steam by this Summer and infuse WWII Online with thousands of much needed new players.

The very debate on this topic is something I can't, and don't intend to attempt to control. I agree with both aspects that 1.36 is important (there was a reason I had authorized serious investment into it and went to great lengths to talk with people about its benefits), and I also understand we need to make it onto Steam because we very much need more players into the game.

It comes down to, what first, and why. The team has determined that the added players into the existing setup will provide immediate benefits / outcomes that bolster the game and improve the health of it. The team also acknowledges that there's more work to be done to improve the game, and by no means are we attempting to skate around that fact. Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of doing both simultaneously, or I would.

We'll continue to do our best to communicate with you guys on this matter, we understand how important this is to all of you, we share the feeling that effort needs to be applied to improve game play, as soon as practically possible.

The added players make battles and squads bigger, and provides much needed resources to CRS to enable more active development / production. We think this is paramount for everyone and we are using our best judgement from the buzzard view of the entire game / operation in making that assessment.

S! 

1 person likes this

41 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

If there were 10 HC on every minute, at all times we probably wouldnt be having this argument/discussion

or even 2

24 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

partially true.. however I have been on with many HC logged in have divisions cut and the PB logs out leaving a break out almost unlikely to succeed. After a few attempts the PB leaves which ends up with very few if any HC on and a softcapping spree to widen the cut. Cuts of divisions leads to low numbers and exacerbates the situation... there is ZERO attrition at this point but much less supply for people to play with while one side runs the map.  Last map for instance started with the 250 pushing the Allies very hard but the allies won the cut... result, less axis playing and the first day when I logged in the GHC content fell off that evening to where the Axis had no HC on and a low PB.  The PB feels helpless in those situation and it spirals out of control. They cannot do anything else but fight the AO or bust a few FBs. Some infantry take to the air and get butchered by overwhelming EA and ace pilots. They cannot defend the cut, they find it futile to reinforce by resupply due to flag warping etc.. so ppl log out and after a few maps of low turn out afterwards, they wonder why the trouble the fun is gone, their squaddies are not logging in etc.. so they eventually unsub. This is what TO&E brought us after the thrill of the shoebox shooter funneling wore off.

I'm not innocent in this, I did advocate the TO&E somewhat more positive toward it than against it. As the things that I felt where the glue to the squads and the squads a glue for the game start to go away the more I realized that they where fundamental in the squad structure. Once supply was warped in and you had to spawn at a camped town the relief columns that could arrive outside town in numbers suitable to change the situation all you had left was a spawn/ die shoebox shooter. IF you did manually bring a relief column from the next town on the front line your at risk and the drive long risking the defense of that town. Bottleneck towns became only as strategically important as the amount of brigades and supply available - IE just having NAVY in Antwerp for instance during low pop and no HC on. River towns... very important but many are only held with Navy etc.. and they can be breached with little effort at times.

10 minutes ago, XOOM said:

Our mission is, as soon as practical, to make 1.36 come to life. That is not considered practical at this moment for the reasons I have previously mentioned throughout the lifetime of this thread, go back and look to see my commentary if you're interested.

In the interim we are trying to clamp some key issues pending further development moving forward on this topic.

I think the greatest debate stems from those who believe we should invest our resources into making 1.36 happen, prior to Steam. What is commonly not being acknowledged is the current state of 1.36, the work required to get it where it needs to be, and our goal to make it on Steam by this Summer and infuse WWII Online with thousands of much needed new players.

The very debate on this topic is something I can't, and don't intend to attempt to control. I agree with both aspects that 1.36 is important (there was a reason I had authorized serious investment into it and went to great lengths to talk with people about its benefits), and I also understand we need to make it onto Steam because we very much need more players into the game.

It comes down to, what first, and why. The team has determined that the added players into the existing setup will provide immediate benefits / outcomes that bolster the game and improve the health of it. The team also acknowledges that there's more work to be done to improve the game, and by no means are we attempting to skate around that fact. Unfortunately, we do not have the luxury of doing both simultaneously, or I would.

We'll continue to do our best to communicate with you guys on this matter, we understand how important this is to all of you, we share the feeling that effort needs to be applied to improve game play, as soon as practically possible.

The added players make battles and squads bigger, and provides much needed resources to CRS to enable more active development / production. We think this is paramount for everyone and we are using our best judgement from the buzzard view of the entire game / operation in making that assessment.

S! 

Thanks again for the update.  We still believe in yall.  Even our occasional impatience/frustration just confirms our intense passion.  Here's to hoping it works out as planned. S!  

Edited by forrest
1 person likes this

14 minutes ago, XOOM said:

S! 

Make it so flags can't move into contested towns or Ao'd towns in the meantime then.

Do that and I will go from unsubbed to builder

I refuse to play for hours upon hours to attack a town by combined arms and lots of numbers to be saved by 1 guy right clicking and warping a fresh new army into said town.

3 people like this

2 minutes ago, petie said:

Make it so flags can't move into contested towns or Ao'd towns in the meantime then.

Do that and I will go from unsubbed to builder

I refuse to play for hours upon hours to attack a town by combined arms and lots of numbers to be saved by 1 guy right clicking and warping a fresh new army into said town.

As demonstrated in our recent Campaign adjustments, we are extending an open and actionable ear to ideas and concepts being proposed. In other words, I have seen Saronin's post and other ideas and am considering future alterations as needed, while monitoring the recent changes we have made, very carefully.

3 hours ago, zbus said:

You don't get it do you no idea that involves the current TOE system and HC is going to work. Its a broken system that relies on to few people to run it . Example this morning again no HC on for hours. And the 6 or 7 allies who where  on getting curb stomped by  axis town after town. The overpop would not be so bad  I can handle that issue but the sheer fact you cant even move the flags to adjust for the caps is just annoying beyond belief. We had TZ3 in town based supply as well but at least we did not have to worry about break outs and flags being cut off, All I see here is a few trying desperately to hold on to the power they hold to control other players paid for play time.  Simple fact polishing a turd might make you feel good but at the end of the day it is still a turd. Also consider this OJ and others like him have been posting since 2004 because they love the game and hate to see what this current system has done to it. The simple fact he posts even after all these years should tell you that.  

Yeah, I'm just here to remind everyone how long the games been heading in the wrong direction.  Its kinda disturbing that anything else is being worked on over fixing the mess that toe/hc delivers for gameplay.  While town based supply is certainly not the best option, it blows away toe hands down by bringing back regional attrition, fixed piece battles of tangible supply and will go along way on making attrition the important game shaping aspect it should be. Not to mention the removal of the deplorable softcaps, cutoffs that ruin campaigns, and actually having battles on the map in places that haven't see much action in 10 years. It frees the people who want to lead in the game to do so instead of playing map daddy. 

That's really only half your problem though. You cannot exclusively rely on hc to run the ao's either.  How did I know hc would fail back in 2003? Try running a squad with 100 plus on daily for awhile.  The average burnout for command was around 6 months.  That was just from planning and executing op's.  You can't put hurdles in leaders way like bartering and waiting for ao's, or even worse things like subjecting them to some appointed clowns whims. 

You need to give the game back to the players.  Leadership is earned/developed not appointed.  The game was once filled with players that were able to log on and take their gameplay down endless roads of possibilities.  You have a map filled with a ton of places to choose to play, the gear to set up endless combinations of combined arms op's and you reduced all this to p1 flood the box as the only choice. You would have to pay me to play that awfulness. In doing so, you completely removed the grooming of real future leaders that are completely essential to the games success and dumbed the game down to cod.  It all starts with one person saying let's do this here.  If that person sucks people don't follow them, it's pretty simple.  Allowing this natural selection and trial and error delivers people like deadlock, dinker, etc.  

Don't get me wrong Hc has its place, as its crucial to wrangling up all the people who want to be wrangled, but once you open the door for real leaders, you enable the game to do so much more and appeal to a far larger audience 

Love

Oj

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

Dude, how can you even say this?

That's the single biggest problem we have. Why would it be so surprising to you that removing the entire aspect of the bogus "strategy layer" that hinders action and fun, or counter moves with it's idiotic UI wouldn't help?

Why, Capco?

WHY?

You defend this crap and it's clear to all that you simply won't let go of the notion that the playerbase has to follow HC around.  HC is supposed to facilitate better gameplay by supporting; not dictating.

It think that's your biggest hang up here... that you won't let go of the "HC comes first" mentality.

HC should come second, or not at all... *Austin powers reference*

Wow.  You (and the three people who liked your post lol) really need to work on your reading comprehension.  

In that quoted post, I just expressed my DISbelief that TOEs is fixable, and that any tweak will NOT solve the main issue of no HC, and that moving to some amount of town supply is the key.  

As for the rest, ask anyone who has ever worked with me how much of a dictator I am.  My actions in game speak for themselves.  

2 hours ago, Capco said:

Wow.  You (and the three people who liked your post lol) really need to work on your reading comprehension.  

In that quoted post, I just expressed my DISbelief that TOEs is fixable, and that any tweak will NOT solve the main issue of no HC, and that moving to some amount of town supply is the key.  

As for the rest, ask anyone who has ever worked with me how much of a dictator I am.  My actions in game speak for themselves.  

Correct. Some sort of supply in every town is the only way to stop the massive cut offs that destroy morale and cause people to go play WoW instead. This issue with soft caps is the same issue that was out there from day one of TOEs. People log in to play a war game against other players; not to stand in empty CPs waiting for a meter where there is no danger. Bad for both attackers and defenders.

Even the solutions I proposed won't stop the cut offs. All they will do is stop the ridiculous rotation of new supply during battles. Potthead was telling me not long ago about a 15 hour strategy to force some attrition on divisions so the map could be moved.  Let that sink in for a minute. A 15 hour strategy... Who the hell plays for 15 hours straight besides Potthead, Potthead 1 - 75, oshelia (or whatever the that undercover Potthead is named), and Lob12 when he goes all Emo about something that was said in the forums?  It's too much to ask of one person and you can't expect map movers 6 hours from now to be executing the same grand strategy; communication over super secret secure forums or not. Squads should be able to get together on a squad night and have a reasonable chance in a reasonable amount of time to take a town in a fashion other than catching the other side with their panties down with a quick over run. 

The issue is that the design of HC and tools given to HC were designed in a way that completely ignored field leadership, apart from .allied global chat 

This fatal design flaw meant there was no narktural migration from squad leader to HC leader; there was no uplift in leadership tools from being HC. If HC tools had been designed to facilitate field leadership, I doubt we'd be having this discussion about HC numbers which ultimately undermined the TOEs supply mechanic 

So my only plea for 1.36 or v2.0 would be to not ignore leadership tools. We have to be more ambitious than an enemy boat mark when thinking about how to provide the foundations for players to organise and coordinate other players. 

3 people like this

20 hours ago, sg1 said:

Yeah, I'm just here to remind everyone how long the games been heading in the wrong direction.  Its kinda disturbing that anything else is being worked on over fixing the mess that toe/hc delivers for gameplay.  While town based supply is certainly not the best option, it blows away toe hands down by bringing back regional attrition, fixed piece battles of tangible supply and will go along way on making attrition the important game shaping aspect it should be. Not to mention the removal of the deplorable softcaps, cutoffs that ruin campaigns, and actually having battles on the map in places that haven't see much action in 10 years. It frees the people who want to lead in the game to do so instead of playing map daddy. 

That's really only half your problem though. You cannot exclusively rely on hc to run the ao's either.  How did I know hc would fail back in 2003? Try running a squad with 100 plus on daily for awhile.  The average burnout for command was around 6 months.  That was just from planning and executing op's.  You can't put hurdles in leaders way like bartering and waiting for ao's, or even worse things like subjecting them to some appointed clowns whims. 

You need to give the game back to the players.  Leadership is earned/developed not appointed.  The game was once filled with players that were able to log on and take their gameplay down endless roads of possibilities.  You have a map filled with a ton of places to choose to play, the gear to set up endless combinations of combined arms op's and you reduced all this to p1 flood the box as the only choice. You would have to pay me to play that awfulness. In doing so, you completely removed the grooming of real future leaders that are completely essential to the games success and dumbed the game down to cod.  It all starts with one person saying let's do this here.  If that person sucks people don't follow them, it's pretty simple.  Allowing this natural selection and trial and error delivers people like deadlock, dinker, etc.  

Don't get me wrong Hc has its place, as its crucial to wrangling up all the people who want to be wrangled, but once you open the door for real leaders, you enable the game to do so much more and appeal to a far larger audience 

Love

Oj

Spot on and better than i could put it!

@XOOMi understand the whys and hows and the debate here seems to be,  town based or not town based,  that's what im reading along with we need it back asap, my concern is that the pause is in fact a rethink in the application of town supply, a rethink. If i read the CEO talk correctly then its just a pause then back onto 1.36 and town based supply we all remember with the numbers the game needs.

While you are thinking of other ideas couldn't you just fill every town with a flag, once it taken its routed to training, if the town is retaken then a flag can be moved back in from the routed pool? no more than one flag per town at a time and they are fixed to the towns cant move 25000000 year move timers unless the origin is training?

Edited by dm79
1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, dm79 said:

While you are thinking of other ideas couldn't you just fill every town with a flag, once it taken its routed to training, if the town is retaken then a flag can be moved back in from the routed pool? no more than one flag per town at a time and they are fixed to the towns cant move 25000000 year move timers unless the origin is training?

I was just thinking about the same thing.  Something in the lines of......all front line towns without a flag would get a "stationary defender" unmoveable flag. Cant attack only defend the town.  Cant move a current active flag in and cant move the defender flag out.  If its routed then its gone or bumped back to the next town on the line.  The other current flags would still be moveable per the current mechanics but not to a defender flag.

Im sure its not doable and my though process on this was quick but something to that effect.  Problem is it would have to be done manually most likely so probably not doable

Edited by bmw

12 hours ago, dm79 said:

@XOOMi understand the whys and hows and the debate here seems to be,  town based or not town based,  that's what im reading along with we need it back asap, my concern is that the pause is in fact a rethink in the application of town supply, a rethink. If i read the CEO talk correctly then its just a pause then back onto 1.36 and town based supply we all remember with the numbers the game needs.

Part 1: Yes, that's a pretty accurate assessment.

Part 2: There are many considerations we're thinking of, the more suggestions we receive, the more options we have to work with.

27 minutes ago, XOOM said:

Part 2: There are many considerations we're thinking of, the more suggestions we receive, the more options we have to work with.

Have you thought about wearing a spaghetti strap dress and showing more leg during the next Rat Chat?  I help with suggestions where I can.

20 hours ago, saronin said:

Have you thought about wearing a spaghetti strap dress and showing more leg during the next Rat Chat?  I help with suggestions where I can.

We'll take that into consideration and see what the team thinks about it. ;)