• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
XOOM

Brigade Removal Frozen for Steam "Early Access"

514 posts in this topic

There's already a comment reading, "Early access? The game is sixteen years old!!!"

As much as I hate the current mechanics, and having the entire game's outcome and play directly affected by the ToEs/HC system, where one week you're doing well and the next... it seems like the flags are being moved around by a sentient pile of cocaine, I want to see WWIIOL get SOME funding.

Hopefully before the proper Steam release, CRS can get rid of ToEs and give HC a true leadership role without having to screw up gameplay in terms of supply.

Removal of the Brigade system before steam should have been P1.  Nothing else......except for the new code to clean up warping/death delay should have been and was done.  

The UI.....I could live with it till after early access......

new toys......could live without it till after early access.  

In its current state the brigade system is just fubar. 

BUT.............it is what it is and XOOM must have a good reason as to why it cant be done at this release.  So far the new team has been pretty transparent and forthcoming so I guess just got to keep the faith.

14 hours ago, XOOM said:

Our goal is to get Early Access up and running to at least do all of the hard lifting work to get WWII Online working on Steam. 

Immediately following will be addressing all of this other stuff.

Deviating from that means we will not be on Steam for another year, God forbid a little longer.

To me, that is not an option. We will waste a lot of time, lose out on a lot of players entering the game who genuinely like it, and of course the resources associated with all of that.

People will like our game because it's a great concept, filled with tons of awesome content, and a fantastic community to support it. As I read your reply I had a hard time taking a good portion of it seriously due to the exaggerations and verbs being used to emphasize those exaggerations. I don't think the new team here at CRS is under any illusion about our short comings or our big strengths with the game.

We've thought about this long and hard and there will no doubt be some growing pains in that process. We need to be bold and attack these issues head on accordingly, and set the fear aside as a distraction / deterrent from us  to succeed. That is what this new team has done overall since taking the helm, we sure as hell aren't going to stop that now because it's been working.

S! 

Sorry for the verbage ;p I'm like Mary poppins sprinkling kisses compared to what's going to happen in your steam forum 

I highly recommend you put hc on the payroll because no one in their right mind is going to be able to stomach the wrath of what that's gonna be like.  Having no one on to move the craptastic supply system, or keep up with placing good ao's is going to blow people's mind in there lol.

Also what do you plan on for the pricing model? This is imo worth a one time 20 bucks.  You can't expect anyone to pay a monthly sub to play this anymore

Anyhow....i give you credit for trying to pull the game out and saving it.  As I have said before, you can't even get people to play the game for free in it's current state.  While it being old and stale is a leading cause for this, the hc/toe game mechanics sure as hell have destroyed gameplay for many of us

Hell steam might make the game at least bring af camping back! Kinda sad that was all that was left fun to do and then that even went away because no one plays.  Kinda hard to get 100 kill sorties with 14 players on the map 

Gl xoom

And unfacken ban me.  Im like guaranteed excitement, something you desperately need around here forsure.  I'm sure mm won't mind now that she has a full time career at petsmart

Edited by sg1

11 hours ago, lipton said:

What exactly is the difference between "Early Access" and "Full Steam Release"?? 

Won't all the new people you are hoping to add to the game be seeing THIS version of WWIIOL in the "Early Access" Steam release or is it a select group? 

Will there be a different set of Steam players gaining access with the Full Release? 

My concern is the Steam players will see the Early Access version and go... "meh" and review it accordingly. I just don't want to waste our one shot at the Wow Factor to pull them in for the long haul. 

1. Early Access is typically for games that are still in development.
    1. We are choosing to go Early Access first to buy us some grace as we know we'll need to iron some stuff out once we get there.
      1. Making sure we can handle all the users we want to (infrastructure).
      2. Making sure we iron out the sign up / new user flow process.
      3. More time to implement other items before the main release.
      4. Take in Steam user feedback and where possible, without compromising our core beliefs in the game, making adjustments that can better suit those users / make a full release far more successful.
    2. This will be like a soft-launch that does not open up the entire flood gate of Steam users.
    3. We do anticipate many thousands of users to still join up regardless.
  2. Full Steam Release = polished and ready for mass distribution.
  3. Anyone who has liked or followed or wishlist'd us will in fact see the game and be able to join it.

7 minutes ago, sg1 said:

Sorry for the verbage ;p I'm like Mary poppins sprinkling kisses compared to what's going to happen in your steam forum 

I highly recommend you put hc on the payroll because no one in their right mind is going to be able to stomach the wrath of what that's gonna be like.  Having no one on to move the craptastic supply system, or keep up with placing good ao's is going to blow people's mind in there lol.

Also what do you plan on for the pricing model? This is imo worth a one time 20 bucks.  You can't expect anyone to pay a monthly sub to play this anymore

Anyhow....i give you credit for trying to pull the game out and saving it.  As I have said before, you can't even get people to play the game for free in it's current state.  While it being old and stale is a leading cause for this, the hc/toe game mechanics sure as hell have destroyed gameplay for many of us

Hell steam might make the game at least bring af camping back! Kinda sad that was all that was left fun to do and then that even went away because no one plays.  Kinda hard to get 100 kill sorties with 14 players on the map 

Gl xoom

And unfacken ban me.  Im like guaranteed excitement, something you desperately need around here forsure.  I'm sure mm won't mind now that she has a full time career at petsmart

1. At no time will we be exploring HC to be on Payroll.
    1. This will attract the wrong users to HC.
    2. The incentive to volunteer / participate as part of HC does not compute with this.
  2. Pricing model will remain as advertised.
    1. We would've died a long time ago if we did not have a recurring subscription.
    2. We are not just a game, we are Software as a Service (SaaS).
      1. This is proven by the host of supporting game sites and tools that we host and maintain.
        1. Wiki
        2. Stats
        3. Game Monitor
        4. Support Pages
        5. Forums
        6. High Command tools
        7. Squad tools
        8. More stuff I am missing
  3. There are certainly more than 14 players on the map.
  4. If you wish your primary account to be available contact agm@playnet.com for the Community Management team to review.

I am aware of your dislike of the HC/TOE system and I understand both some of the gains from it but the major pitfalls that are within it too. I hope my above statements have shed some more light on the reasons and what we're trying to achieve. Each decision has to be made very carefully as there's a lot of risk associated with it.

We are willing to take risks but they have to be mitigated and as conservative as possible. In this case we need more time and that is the bottom line.

56 minutes ago, bmw said:

Removal of the Brigade system before steam should have been P1.  Nothing else......except for the new code to clean up warping/death delay should have been and was done.  

BUT.............it is what it is and XOOM must have a good reason as to why it cant be done at this release.  So far the new team has been pretty transparent and forthcoming so I guess just got to keep the faith.

1. We have invested a lot of time into the town based supply system. That logic continues to exist but the user flow and supporting stuff needs ironing out.
  2. We did introduce fixes to the Networking system, which are now live in the campaign, referred to as netcode3.
  3. The UI as-is (today) was actually better than our first iteration of 1.36.
    1. The UI needs to be exceptionally better for it truly work / make sense.
  4. New toys are / have not been a pre-requisite to Steam's deployment. It has not taken any of our programmer resources away from their other tasks.
  5. The brigade system definitely needs review and is not in an ideal state, we acknowledge this and will work to relieve some pressure on HC's through timers and such.
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, bmw said:

One of the core beliefs of CRS has always been to listen to the player base I don't think that has changed. I don't know of many games where you get the Vice Prez of the company sharing his thought process with a controversial subject with the player base. Not many would do that.

One thing to do is to trust in the development cycle and realize that a lot is riding on a smooth and successful Steam release.

My two cents, If you want WWII Online in the future then you should probably hop on board, and get behind CRS and the community. :)<_<

S!

I'm disappointed too but it is what it is, we can handle this. In the mean time, I cannot wait of the new content like the SPAA and M1919.

@XOOM

What I fail to see is if this is a soft opening for game on steam to introduce it how is town based supply not done first.

My point is you will get new players in and learn the current system (if they stay fall in love with it) just to completely game the game mechanics on them soon after release. In turn causing a backlash by those coming in.

Second point, What plans are there for brigades being routed? For example the Allies just routed 8 brigades for 12 hours, and yesterday having 6 brigades routed. This obviously taxes supply on those left to defend the lines.  How do you expect Steam to affect this with the increase in players etc. Essentially you will either have brigades with no supply which then pushes map quicker and players get upset as all that is left in are mortar men and a13s. 

Have you looked to reduce the timer on a brigade being in training?

1 hour ago, E7usn said:

My two cents, If you want WWII Online in the future then you should probably hop on board, and get behind CRS and the community. :)<_<

S!

I am or I wouldnt still be here.

2 hours ago, XOOM said:
  1. The brigade system definitely needs review and is not in an ideal state, we acknowledge this and will work to relieve some pressure on HC's through timers and such.

Thanks Matt. It's best to experiment with those timers before Early Access if possible. Finding that "sweet spot" might not happen right away. If we get them right I might even have a few officers I can get to come back for a bit.

Also notice how, despite OJ's layered criticism, he still asked to be unbanned and play the game? Never forget you have something extra special somewhere in WWII online, something that even draws your biggest critics back for more, @XOOM

Keep up up the good work!

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, sg1 said:

I've tried explaining to them that charging $18/month for an early access title is not going to be received well at all on Steam.

Also this game is not SaaS and will get laughed at if they ever seriously try to market it that way. I'm actually in awe at Xoom's statement; a game is not SaaS because it has a wiki and 3rd party tools. 

4 hours ago, blkhwk8 said:

@XOOM

What I fail to see is if this is a soft opening for game on steam to introduce it how is town based supply not done first.

My point is you will get new players in and learn the current system (if they stay fall in love with it) just to completely game the game mechanics on them soon after release. In turn causing a backlash by those coming in.

Second point, What plans are there for brigades being routed? For example the Allies just routed 8 brigades for 12 hours, and yesterday having 6 brigades routed. This obviously taxes supply on those left to defend the lines.  How do you expect Steam to affect this with the increase in players etc. Essentially you will either have brigades with no supply which then pushes map quicker and players get upset as all that is left in are mortar men and a13s. 

Have you looked to reduce the timer on a brigade being in training?

1. It's a fair point to be made and is one of the concerns. Deployment on Steam in it of itself is essential, we need to get it done and then make modifications from there. Waiting another 6-12 months is not really tolerable. We could do it, but we would lose important time to advance our future in bigger ways.
  2. We will be looking to address total supply availability, supply timers, movement timers, trickle timers and other options as we can to combat these things.

4 minutes ago, david01 said:

I've tried explaining to them that charging $18/month for an early access title is not going to be received well at all on Steam.

Also this game is not SaaS and will get laughed at if they ever seriously try to market it that way. I'm actually in awe at Xoom's statement; a game is not SaaS because it has a wiki and 3rd party tools. 

1. Our mission is not to sell the game to every Tom, Dick and Harry out there. It is to attract like-minded players to our game who can see the value in what we're doing. Our verbiage on our page has been very clear about expectations and our team will continue to present WWII Online is an honest fashion.
  2. We will be marketing ourselves as a provider of entertainment through online video games. I firmly believe we do a hell of a lot more than most of our competitors in providing services to support this game, so that is why the SaaS comes into play.

David01, please muster up a little bit more faith generally speaking, on these forums and abroad. We need your support in every public instance. 

1 hour ago, XOOM said:
  1. Waiting another 6-12 months is not really tolerable.

@XOOM is the 6-12 months the current estimation to release 1.36? Is the 6-12 months the time needed to redesign/QA UI and write tutorial, or do the rules for supply need further work?

IMO I think it is important to have 1.36 in before Steam Early Access, but not if there is a 12 month delay.

There are 10 Brigades in German Training as i type this.

Who the hell on the Axis side is going to get excited and logon?

Nothing has been done to stop the 1 sided map rolls by both sides the last few campaigns.

Please stop the insanity and do something before everyone leaves.

Add more Brigades, limit the time Brigades spend in training, let a Brigade return to the map only a non front line town, stop the FN softcaps.

BANGING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL....WAS SO looking forward to TOES being removed and they remain to continue to destroy this game..

head_bang_by_naries-d4c2e9e.gif

15 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

There are 10 Brigades in German Training as i type this.

Who the hell on the Axis side is going to get excited and logon?

Nothing has been done to stop the 1 sided map rolls by both sides the last few campaigns.

Please stop the insanity and do something before everyone leaves.

Add more Brigades, limit the time Brigades spend in training, let a Brigade return to the map only a non front line town, stop the FN softcaps.

BANGING MY HEAD AGAINST THE WALL....WAS SO looking forward to TOES being removed and they remain to continue to destroy this game..

Yes I understand there is frustration and it is recognition at once again that we have a major problem that needs to be solved. CRS remains committed to solving those problem(s).

With respect to your recommendations above, I'm already evaluating options and talking pretty openly that I am considering doing things in fairly short order so we do not do the same thing over and over. 

Hang in there troopers, S! 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, rsix said:

@XOOM is the 6-12 months the current estimation to release 1.36? Is the 6-12 months the time needed to redesign/QA UI and write tutorial, or do the rules for supply need further work?

IMO I think it is important to have 1.36 in before Steam Early Access, but not if there is a 12 month delay.

I am guessing that if we put all of our resources into 1.36 it may take us an additional 6 months to get it going, immediately following Steam. I would be hopeful that we'd be able to do it sooner, but I am projecting the doing it right factor that I think is critical. 

To be quite fair, that should not be considered a hard estimate. Basically we need to regroup and go back to the UI design phase of things, from there we can make a more informed projection ~ that has not yet happened since we've frozen it temporarily to focus efforts on Steam.

I hope that helps you (and maybe others) better understand why I say we need to get on Steam first. If we do so, we can obtain more players into the game more immediately and it will automatically improve the situation (not entirely, but it will do a lot of good).

As I stated in my above post(s), we're going to continue to do what we can to lessen the pain of the brigade system as we know it now.

1 person likes this

Go into Steam with as solid a product as you can- you will only get one chance--- stick with what works for sure.

If you change and the current player base cannot understand what is going on, what chance will new steam players have?

9 minutes ago, blakeh said:

If you change and the current player base cannot understand what is going on, what chance will new steam players have?

That is precisely the biggest point of why I made the hard decision to roll with what we had.

2 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

TY XOOM....I seriously want to play this game on a steady basis again.

Thanks for your patience and understanding, I know the news sucked but we're listening and working aggressively to clamp the issues.

So, the plan is to release the game on STEAM...and *then* take away brigades?  Hmm...

On 5/28/2017 at 0:00 PM, Capco said:

• If RDP bombing is considered ineffective, increase the time it takes for factories to repair damage (if you don't understand how this will make RDP bombing stronger I can illustrate how; I'll even write a technical report lol).  

Agreed.  Agreed.  And agreed some more.

2 people like this

30 minutes ago, forrest said:

Agreed.  Agreed.  And agreed some more.

I've been all about this lately man.  Several threads around where this is touched upon.  

Keep voicing your support!  We're getting close!