bongo12

Turn DOWN volume of explosions and tank engines (when inside tanks)

26 posts in this topic

These sounds are so incredibly loud that they are actually clipping. Yes yes, I know you are going for the authentic feel, but if that involves giving headphone users permanent ear damage, you might want to rethink your strategy. Every other sound in the game is so quiet.

1 person likes this

Yes, vehicle sounds are really loud, and I think the idea was to create a sense of the lack of situational awareness when buttoned up and driving.

Still, it's just too much. One can't even hear chat on Discord when the audio is so loud and other sounds bleed in on top of that.

2 people like this

It's not just explosions in tanks...  I can't remember how many times people have tried to talk to me while I was driving a truck and there was no way that I could hear them over the engine noise.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, goreblimey said:

You can set discord to interrupt game sound when someone speaks

That's fine, but it's not really what I'm talking about. Explosions and tank engines are just way too loud - They are actually clipping, that's how loud they are. They really shouldn't be because there's actually a real danger of getting permanent hearing damage by playing this game. It should not be taken lightly and it should be fixed like right now.

Then you've got the volume up to high .....What you're talking about is an adjustment in the relative volumes of vehicles noise and say footsteps?

Agreed.

The sound files as designed don't contain clipping. The clipping would be occurring in your reproduction system.

There have been lots of requests over the years to make naturally loud sounds quieter so that players can crank up their ability to hear quiet infantry-movement sounds.

It should be part of the game that if you're close to a loud sound-source, you aren't going to hear quiet sounds. That's realistic.

Edited by jwilly

Sometimes, it did is too loud.

Currently I'm forced to play the game with a volume much more highter in general with my speaker in order to HEAR the people on discord while having the volume of the game turned down a lot. Because at the default level.

It's like trying to talk to a hard-hearing person in the midle of a AC/DC concert.

It can be worked with, but sometimes it IS too loud inside the tanks

On 6/3/2017 at 10:43 AM, vasduten1 said:

Yes, vehicle sounds are really loud, and I think the idea was to create a sense of the lack of situational awareness when buttoned up and driving.

Still, it's just too much. One can't even hear chat on Discord when the audio is so loud and other sounds bleed in on top of that.

Discord has a function to mute the game sounds when someone is talking.. 

I've done that, and increased the slider a bit more now.

That part works, but still... the engine and turret sounds are too loud.

They could come down even 10% and it would help.

Inside a buttoned up tank, nothing but the engine, turret, muted track squeak if moving, loading process, gun firing and hits on the tank should be audible. All other sounds should be zeroed.

On 6/6/2017 at 4:59 AM, jwilly said:

Inside a buttoned up tank, nothing but the engine, turret, muted track squeak if moving, loading process, gun firing and hits on the tank should be audible. All other sounds should be zeroed.

Then turn other sounds down instead of turning engine sound up.

I think this is a good feature and I understand the design if you were driving a tank you could not hear anything inside besisdes the engine and gun firing, to be able to hear anything else you have to turn off the engine.

I would support a system that would reduce engine sound but keep other sounds disable or barely audible, for now i think you can live with just reduce the volume mixer of ww2ol.

On ‎6‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, Quincannon said:

It's not just explosions in tanks...  I can't remember how many times people have tried to talk to me while I was driving a truck and there was no way that I could hear them over the engine noise.

In the bottom right hand of your desktop is a symbol of a speaker (windows).

Right click it and choose 'OPEN VOLUME MIXER'

Now you can control the GAME volume and DISCORD volume independently.

1 person likes this

On 6/25/2017 at 5:08 PM, forrest said:

I've never heard footsteps in this game.

Too much time in a bomber hurting your ears? :D 

1 hour ago, XOOM said:

Too much time in a bomber hurting your ears? :D 

What??

1 minute ago, forrest said:

What??

There was a time when I played way too much and tried to sleep and all I heard was the sound of tanks (back in the old panzer column days). I tried to make a joke that you may have had something similar going on from all of that time in the bomber, apparently I nailed it.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, XOOM said:

There was a time when I played way too much and tried to sleep and all I heard was the sound of tanks (back in the old panzer column days). I tried to make a joke that you may have had something similar going on from all of that time in the bomber, apparently I nailed it.

Speak into my *good* ear, son.  If I had a good ear. :)

Edited by forrest

On a serious note:  I usually fly bombers with sound low.  Those things are LOUD! And rightly so (I'm not advocating them to be changed).  I guess I play ground sounds a bit low too. I've never cranked it up to insane levels, so I don't hear footsteps in my tank, or Opels 1.5km away either.

Maybe I should try it. :)

Edited by forrest

On 2017-06-26 at 2:08 AM, forrest said:

I've never heard footsteps in this game.

Turn up your sound mate… :P

Just send PC's SPDIF optical output to 5.1 surround system, and set PC audio accordingly.

Now you hear Everything
And no deafness since the speakers are not right on your head.

On 6/27/2017 at 1:15 AM, Sparre said:

Turn up your sound mate… :P

I bet there aren't too many footsteps at 5km above sealevel ;)