Westy91

The Bren Gun Carrier

12 posts in this topic

A rather sweet addition to the game would be the Bren Gun Carrier for the British Army, operating in a similar way to the German Halftrack in being both armed and able to set FMS's. It would add a certain realistic favour to the British Army and would allow some strategic mobility akin to how the Army operated in WW2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Carrier

Saw a pic of one from an airshow this weekend. Unfortunately I missed the show. (Not my picture)

18814928_10154551855664149_3891906607597

It might be beneficial to CRS marketing for more attention to be paid to the "British" army also containing Canadian and other Commonwealth elements. That'd also add realism. And, in the present instance, it'd provide a useful modeling option.

The British Universal Carrier was an excellent vehicle, but had quite a small capacity. It could tow the six pounder on level pavement. Maybe instead the British army with Canadian participation could have Windsor carriers...one bogey wheel longer, with almost twice the man-capacity and more horsepower for towing of bigger guns. The Windsor would have a better correspondence between the man/equipment capacity and that of the German and American HTs plus someday the Lorraine 39 for the T0 French.

Windsor_kanada_axb01.jpg

The Americans also used a US-made close relative of the Windsor carrier as the T-16. 

1920px-Universal_carrier_at_W&P_show_pic

It's worth noting that the 81mm/three inch mortar class really wouldn't make sense as a man-carried unit. The Germans had a version of the SdKfz 251 HT with an 81mm mortar. The Commonwealth had a version of the Universal with a three incher. I think it'd be quite reasonable to put a three incher in a Windsor.

Aust_3_inch_mortar_carrier(AWM_134428).j

92AB00F6E9894C4A816E882484AFDDF8.jpg

1 person likes this

I was  advocating this a little while ago:

, the  universal carrier is in my opinion something that should be added because of its rather ubiquitous nature  

One of the  many  variants  mounted A 50 cal...

Edited by brady

Hello All,

I am a bit surprised the Universal Carrier hasn't been included for the British as it is one of the British "Iconic Items". In game terms I would prefer to see it as an "Only British" unit.

Additionally so the British equipment list doesn't have an easily avoidable functionality omission, when the US M3 Halftrack is also modelled it should be included along with the Universal Carrier in the British equipment list as well. Practically speaking I would suggest the creation of the US M3 Halftrack would be a higher priority as it can be used by pretty well ALL of the Allies, US, French and British.

Cheers

James10

At the risk of stating the obvious one of the big pluses in modeling this would be the potential Number of variants that could easily be created.

Hello brady, how are you doing?

Just to clarify in your statement:

On ‎10‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 0:47 AM, brady said:

At the risk of stating the obvious one of the big pluses in modeling this would be the potential Number of variants that could easily be created.

You are referring to the British Universal Carrier and not the US M3 Half Track.

I would have to agree with you here, however I suspect even under this consideration the British Universal Carrier is likely to be created after the US M3 Halftrack as the M3 would present a potentially greater “Bang for Buck” resources expenditure wise.

From my point of view the most likely candidate for the M3 model would be the M3A1 version, with the Pulpit mounted M2HB mg fired by the co-driver. This would fulfil the APC role the Sd.kfz 251 currently fills within the German forces in-game. It could also easily and historically correctly be used by the US, French and British forces in-game with as little as a little skin change.

The M3 model could then serve as the basis for the following vehicles, easily used by the US and French forces and in some cases the British as well.

M3A1 Half Tracked APC; 1 x .50” M2HB.
T48/M3 57mm GMC; 1 x 57mm M1 gun.
T12/M3 75mm GMC; 1 x 75mm M1897A5 gun.
T30/M3 75mm HMC; 1 x 75mm M1A1 howitzer.
T12/M3 105mm HMC; 1 x 105mm M2A1 howitzer.
T19/M21 81mm MMC; 1 x M1 mortar.
M16A1 MGMC; 4 x .50” M2HB.

Just a thought.

Cheers
James10

I was referring to the universal carrier.

I am sure at some point they will add a US  Half track, given the ridiculous amount of US equipment already in the game I would assume it would be a foregone conclusion.

Bren Gun Carrier

Panzerkampfwagen I

FT17 Char mitrailleuse   (8 mm Hotchkiss machine gun fitment not the 37mm ATG, we do that later along with the panzerjager etc)

That would make a good trio

On 08/06/2017 at 11:10 PM, westy91 said:

A rather sweet addition to the game would be the Bren Gun Carrier for the British Army, operating in a similar way to the German Halftrack in being both armed and able to set FMS's. It would add a certain realistic favour to the British Army and would allow some strategic mobility akin to how the Army operated in WW2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Carrier

Great idea :)

waste of time, for programmers and allies. was a [censored] weapon for allies unless behind lines, slow, cant turn for [censored], and unlrealistic for game.. If i were allied I'd be pushing for other options.

although I do see the "cool" effect if that is what youre looking for...

how long do you think a 251 gunner lasts in the field?  1st ei that spots it,, that's how long. and they are a pain in the [censored] to drive... there is a reason why you rarely see them in game.

Edited by rotschild
1 person likes this