Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Feedback from a new recruit

disi

OK, here my very first own mission on the live server:

I figured since they are cut off from their supply lines there is not much going on and I can train missions with it (no disrespect). Don't mind my driving skills and a few questions as usual...

Did I have to RES the truck and could not RTB at my own Mobile Spawn?

What did demon355 mean with the anchor symbol and RTB, I was so confused.

The old videos showing how to damage the vehicle spawn from the roof does not apply any more? Was it OK where I placed the satchels on the infantry spawn (on any intact tents)?

Did I mess anything up for holzmann and the others who suddenly appeared? I mean is it always good to blow up enemy FB or can there be a tactical disadvantage?

p.s. Uhh "Unteroffizier" (Rank 5) now... Lille is a hellhole

Edited by disi

I don't get this game.

We just ran to an FB, I rolled an engineer, we arrive, there is a tank Midnight goes hunting him and me stupid followed running past the FB, returned and ei in FB, killed ei *good*, vehicle spawn is half down, run to the vehicle spawn and placed a satchel, then one of our tanks spawns 0.o and there is our flag up on the FB.

Or hang on, it is a defence mission? So we were supposed to defend our FB? *schame*

OMG -.-

p.s. you see what happens if you let inexperienced soldiers handle explosives?

Edited by disi

I am not good for nothing, just got ai killed again. Threw 4 grenades after it and did miss apparently, emptied two magazines into its butt, nothing. They seem to be only killable by grenades.

Now that I start testing things, I die even more.

It would also help if someone explains what we are doing. I probably have to read the whole wiki about HC and such to figure this out.

Edited by disi

AI requires a large threshold to take damage
bullets are too far below it to be feasible, explosives and any rounds bigger than 20mm are not.

OK, Hypo explained to me over Discord that I cannot damage our own vehicle spawn and/or tanks spawning in it. At least I didn't hurt anyone doing these things...

I didn't notice anything weird about holzmann but see him always on the ground with us attacking and I see him respawning with us over and over again taking a town if necessary. Yes there seem to be spots that make units nearly unkillable like once when that allied soldier was hiding in the armybase behind some cover. It appears he couldn't be shot at so one after one went in and threw grenades until he was dead. Or we had a guy in the wall of an armybase shooting us outside, again we had to use a lot of grenades.

I had a shootout with a guy, I died and in my death scene I see him walk off, but still got a killcount on my summary, could be a glitch in the netcode. Or I had 20 hits on target, blood on the wall and no kill on the summary.

Those are a few minute annoyances and let GM deal with those if it is a real cheat. No point writing in the forums about it, but that is my opinion.

p.s. you know what is really cool? I was lying on the floor of the railroad station in Lille with one of my comrades from the 91st and had some chat. We were both fairly new to the game and I taught him about $here. Am I a veteran now? :)

Edited by disi

Star Trek - Warping... https://wiki.wwiionline.com/view/What_is_High_Command's_jobs

So we capture a random Depot, then I can RTB near it and re-enter the world as a truck, set up a mobile spawn point next to it? But only the mission leader could do it, correct?

If the Depot is linked to ours it is clear, create or join a defensive mission with origin at that Depot if possible.

Edited by disi

• CORNERED RAT
12 hours ago, disi said:

p.s. you know what is really cool? I was lying on the floor of the railroad station in Lille with one of my comrades from the 91st and had some chat. We were both fairly new to the game and I taught him about $here. Am I a veteran now? :)

I have been playing since '04 and have to admit, the first year was a learning curve. This is a very complex game to learn. 

I would be willing to help you in game, but I play Allied only (in Allied High Command). There are many players/squads who are willing to help (as myself) new players. Use the "ops" chat and ask for help. 

Thx Chimm, like at the moment when they said WARP, I RTB and then I am afraid to go on the mission and spawn at the wrong place (being stupid). Do I tick or untick the mobile spawn, can it still be an attack or can only defence missions spawn into town?

So far I could not find any source that explains what WARP really means or what we have to do.

I rather wait until there is some green defence mission in the town...

p.s. and it was one of those secret OPs again, no grenades... I even think the AI is invulnerable if there is no AO yet or until the timer has run out. Now that the battle has started, I can write this :P

Edited by disi

23 hours ago, disi said:

I am not good for nothing, just got ai killed again. Threw 4 grenades after it and did miss apparently, emptied two magazines into its butt, nothing. They seem to be only killable by grenades.

Now that I start testing things, I die even more.

It would also help if someone explains what we are doing. I probably have to read the whole wiki about HC and such to figure this out.

Man, screw AI.

I hate that chit.

Been playing since pre-release... and things have indeed come a long way, except AI is straight retarded.

A couple tips for AI:

-check the map to see where the towers and pits are, and what direction they face. If it's on the west side, and square with town, it's likely facing west, so approach from an angle either NE or SE of it. 

-Walk up and "drop" your nade in the base of towers, or right inside the pits. Boom!

-Towers are far more accurate than pits but both will shoot at you even if there is a wall between you. Rated G: GHEY.

-If you drop a tower with a tank HE round, keep an eye on it -an EI engineer may be laying there waiting to put it back up. 

For defense:

-See the last bit about engineers repairing AI... and do that when defending. It's really great fun to put a tower up and it immediately starts shooting and you hear "ungh!" and "whaaaoooH!" fromt he other side of the AB wall. 

-The first thing to do upon capturing an airfield or town is to repair the AI. Lets say we've just captured an AF... but the town is still French or Brit... No worries, repair the AI and watch it take down EA who aren't aware that the AF was just taken.

-Don't forget to pause for evil laughter when you do this -it really enhances  your gaming experience LOL.

Hang in there, you'll learn so much each day. Every kill you get will be priceless for a few years, until you are at Cabby level status and can camp in a baby Sherman outside a spawn cp mowing EI down like so much grass.

Been a while since I updated. Unterfeldwebel now with Rank6 or something (not counting any more).

I joined a squad that was recruiting with the popup about a week ago (Windhund), nice talking to hyoslvr sometimes! He was a great support on our approach to Talmas the other day when I was on the ground.

After being auto-kicked I joined the next popup-recruiting squad (MSK) yesterday and it was squad-day, lots of people on. After a couple of hours and three attacks the mission chat, not the squad chat, became a little toxic and I had to go to bed anyway. MSK has no Discord or any voice chat?

It is nice to have another chat channel for the squad, just weird if enemy is reported there because we were mostly spread across several missions. Also if someone asks you to check the NW CP and then nothing, should I just sit there and wait or make myself otherwise useful?

Of course all the other members also just want to have fun playing the game, I probably took this too serious. A squad was my imagination is some ordered structure where some veteran distributes tasks/trains and tells you what to do. I am often too lazy to think myself, expecting someone to tell me to go somewhere and kill something in a way :)

p.s. with the campaign coming to an end, maybe next weekend. I am thinking about swapping sides to the Allies for the next one and meet all the people who were shooting at me. *cough* it would also balance the game a bit *cough*

Edited by disi

checking a depot means what it is: check if an enemy is there and if not go do something else.

guarding would mean they would like you to stay there :)

Nice updates disi.

5 hours ago, disi said:

I probably took this too serious. A squad was my imagination is some ordered structure where some veteran distributes tasks/trains and tells you what to do.

It is and it is not, both at the same time.

Most are not hard core anal military style, and so are not like that 24/7
But many do try to be very organized when doing a squad operation.
In between though it's usually a lot more casual.

Not all squads are the same, some more casual, some more organized

Wohoo: Axis 140 Blitzkrieg Jun 20 2017 19:52 Jul 17 2017 12:39 371,816

Sorties: 436 Kills: 147 Deaths: 320 Captures: ~100 (not in statistic?)

p.s. loved the first attack on Gembloux, we went on an Opel, bold plan here, then drove straight towards town, hit a wall, everyone injured... then we had another bold plan, we go around town and come from the other side, drove into a tree, all dead, but we nearly captured it...

This is intermission now, with all rifles etc. funny :)

pps. not switching, want that assault rifle! But in close combat it does not spray enough? And I would miss this "pff pfui pff pui poi pff" running through town.

Everyone is much more relaxed: 

Edited by disi

I was a bit shocked the last few days when I looked on the other side during Intermission and saw there are really only two weapon sets? And the french rifle is a semi-auto compared to carbine on the Axis side? The M1 is the standard rifle and not the next model like the GW41 on Axis side?

Edited by disi

11 hours ago, disi said:

I was a bit shocked the last few days when I looked on the other side during Intermission and saw there are really only two weapon sets? And the french rifle is a semi-auto compared to carbine on the Axis side? The M1 is the standard rifle and not the next model like the GW41 on Axis side?

Little confused?
During intermission remember all tiers of gear are available in unlimited quantities

Standard french rifle, in tier 0, is the MAS36 bolt action, the MAS40 semi auto comes in later tiers
Axis is the K98k bolt action

The M1 Garand does not enter until later tiers as well
Standard for Brits is No4 MkI Enfield 303 bolt action

US troops do not enter the continent until later tiers
which is probably good because in reality they came out the door with M1 garands, BAR's and Thompson 45's (remember torch does not happen until 8 November 1942)
tier 0 would be funky/unbalanced with them (yes there were american troops before then but they were volunteers, and served in and were equipped by their host militaries)

On 7/17/2017 at 2:36 PM, disi said:

drove into a tree, all dead, but we nearly captured it...

You captured the tree?

15 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Little confused?
During intermission remember all tiers of gear are available in unlimited quantities

Standard french rifle, in tier 0, is the MAS36 bolt action, the MAS40 semi auto comes in later tiers
Axis is the K98k bolt action

The M1 Garand does not enter until later tiers as well
Standard for Brits is No4 MkI Enfield 303 bolt action

Dunno, I logged in during Intermission, selected UK Army and saw some weapons, changed to French Army and saw the same weapons, changed to UK Army and the same weapons. My conclusion, all Allies are using the same set of weapons and the Axis uses a different set of weapons, hence two sets of weapons.

No, the tree killed us before we could cap :(

Edited by disi

no, thats not correct, maybe was just for intermission.
French and brit and US kit are distinctly different.
There are some US items brits and french have due to the lendlease agreements, but only a few.
Spawn list you saw was not normal, check on now in the live campaign (Its ok we wont hate you for spawning allied a sec)
You will see they are very different.

Yes allied trees are deadly, we train them like that