• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
padawan

Artillary Barrages

5 posts in this topic

Artillary was a heavilly used tactic by all fronts, though to most success by the Red Army on the eastern front, and it posed a significant threat to defending forces, threatening to dislodge them from their encamped positions. I imagine it working like an ATG firing mortar shells over greater distances (most likely from FB's into target towns), with much larger shells.

It would give more tactical availability to high command, setting up artillary barrages to remove AI positions and break up defending forces without needing to risk the lives of men or armor.
It would provide targets for the airforce to focus on and annhilate, also enhancing the AA game at FB's.
It'd add dramatic, large explosions pounding the town for the infantry and armor fighting it on the ground.
And it could be used to provide creeping smoke barrages with more effectiveness than mortars.

Supply would need to be very limited, no more than 3 guns per flag perhaps, to avoid spam. And the rank of artillary usage would need to be set to atleast 5, possibly even being restricted to HC staff only?

I can't speak for how easily it would be to implement as I have no idea, but it's something i'd like to see added none the less! :)

2 people like this

arty has been a discussion for years.

The gist of it is...

Getting dead in a spawn from 4kms out, is a hard pill to swallow.

As much fun as it might be for a few arty pieces to lay waste to a town

2 hours ago, padawan said:

Artillary was a heavilly used tactic by all fronts, though to most success by the Red Army on the eastern front, and it posed a significant threat to defending forces, threatening to dislodge them from their encamped positions. I imagine it working like an ATG firing mortar shells over greater distances (most likely from FB's into target towns), with much larger shells.

It would give more tactical availability to high command, setting up artillary barrages to remove AI positions and break up defending forces without needing to risk the lives of men or armor.
It would provide targets for the airforce to focus on and annhilate, also enhancing the AA game at FB's.
It'd add dramatic, large explosions pounding the town for the infantry and armor fighting it on the ground.
And it could be used to provide creeping smoke barrages with more effectiveness than mortars.

Supply would need to be very limited, no more than 3 guns per flag perhaps, to avoid spam. And the rank of artillary usage would need to be set to atleast 5, possibly even being restricted to HC staff only?

I can't speak for how easily it would be to implement as I have no idea, but it's something i'd like to see added none the less! :)

This I NEED!

Let a forward observer be able to mark artillery targets on the map with required ammunition type and shots to fire, then the guys with the cannons can decide which to shoot at? Like the FB, we could have artillery bases that are vulnerable and preferred targets for the enemy. If the cannons have no target, no fire, if the observer doesn't see anything to report or lays stupid/wrong targets then there is useless fire.

BUT: you need the cannons, you need the units, you need the mechanic, then you can talk about balancing it and noone likes to be shot at with artillery.

Artillery would be great, but it needs 1 important thing before i can see it working well.
Population.

Got to have enough people that you can spare some to hunt down artillery.
Right now it is hard to put something in game that requires walking away from the defense objective to find, when you are stretched thin at said objective.

Aside from that, for game purposes i would not outfit a brigade with a with a battalion or even battery level of artillery.
I think i would set up the BDE more like a company level, 3 guns. At least to start out.
You can always raise it if prudent, but its damned hard to take something away even when its for the best, too many complain.
Better to test the waters small.

So BDE's would get 3 guns
Guns come with 0 ammo and No direct fire sights, so as not to promote use as adhoc 105mm ATG's.
For ammo, you need a truck at the simplest.
Better yet, i'd copy and recode a laffly morris and opel, tag them as ammo carrier, add some crates in the bed, no INF can ride, can not set FM
But can deploy up to 3 ammo caches (one per gun), then has to return to a re-arming point to get more ammo.
If you can code that detonation of an ammo cache kills anything around it for X radius, friend or foe, Bonus cookies!

And id make them die of their own HE, if they shoot the tree 10 meters in front of them or any other silliness.

FB would be the last place you want to set up an artillery battery, unless you enjoy feeding yourself to the vultures?
Cause as soon as you start shooting, the vultures will come, and FB is going to be the first greasy spoon they check.

I would imagine they would quickly become a hot commodity with the air boys, so for them to be useful and live long, you'd have to actually support their positions
by bringing some AA guns at the least.
They would also require a lot of co-operation to have any effectiveness, which i think would probably balance out the BOOM they bring to the fight.
That and they are vulnerable as hell, and designed from go to require at least 2 persons to even get one in operation.

I can already hear the air boys hunting down 105mm smoke and flash

8 hours ago, Kidd27 said:

Getting dead in a spawn from 4kms out, is a hard pill to swallow.

Dont see that as that big of an issue really.
Nothing you wont be able to do with bombers really, there HE is going to get a lot more deadly, and when they work it out so they can bomb from correct alt
(cause new bombs will blow you out of the air at 700m)