Bierbaer

GM corps shoutout

33 posts in this topic

In the past decade the GM corps has been mentioned in a newsletter once or twice. Yet the information given always was very superficial. Well, this will not change today, as there is a reason why the GM corps operates "in the dark", but I will be a little bit forthcoming in regards to some stats.

The reason for that is that I've seen comments like "nothing is being done anyway" and additionaly to that I've noticed a raise in aggression towards the GM corps by a handful of players which reached harassment level.

For those who do not know what the GM corps is, let me have a quick explanation. The GMs, or Game Moderators, enforce the Terms of Services [the stuff you always have to agree to whenever you log in] in game similar to what the forums mods do on the forums. We are not limited to abusive language though. We as well monitor in game behaviour, exploits, cheats and hacks - in general: With our daily work we try to provide a fair play experience and environment to every single player.

Yes, I guess "work" is the right word for what we do. The GM corps consists of volunteers only. The players are handpicked. I would not say that the GM corps is an elitist circle but yes, those are very experienced and especially objective players. These are sometimes not that easy to find, in a game where you are either Axis or Allied. Instead of playing like any other player, the GM will sacrifice his/her playing time to observe or/and to follow up on .reports.

Unlike in other games members of the GM corps are anonymous. This is for the simple reasons to enable them to "do their job" without continious interruption and to protect them from harassment. Unfortunately harassment can be a big thing in this game. Even though we have such an adult audience [the age average is probably way above 30] we really have to face harassment issues every now and then. I have been subject to harassment myself and still am being accused of cheating occassionally. In no way we want our GMs to undergo the same harassment, which is the reason why they are anonymous and always will be.

One more thing before I want to close at least the harassment talk. As mentioned in the beginning, there's a noticeable raise in aggression in the .reports. Sometimes it is insanely abusive language directed at the GM corps or CRS staff. People do need to understand that .report is no trash can. There are ordinary people behind it and for them .report is a work tool. But having to read stuff like that is just nuts. I'd give you an example but the forums would censor 99% of it.
And it is no longer tolerated! Those who do it already received warnings for it. Those who repeatidly do it will at some point face a vacation. We are grown up human beings and you can talk to us like a grown up.

For those who say "Nothing is being done anyway", I beg to differ. Here's an excerpt of the past 6 months (Jan - Jun 2017).

In the past 6 months we have issued

• 187 bans
  • 193 kicks
  • 384 warnings
  • 1878 tracked buzzard sorties

Bans can involve minutes, hours, days or even months of work of multiple GMs. In general we document our work very well, which is needed in a 24/7 environment. This though is all classified and not for the public.

Having seen the GMs at work and having the stats at hand as well, I can say that the GM corps is doing an incredibly good job! And I have the confidence to say that we are on top of things as well! We get them all, sooner or later!

Here are some more myths which need some busting: GMs do not have the ability to

• autodespawn someone
  • spawn someone without ammo
  • set/adjust spawndelay to the server or even single players
  • kill someone
  • change ownerships of CPs, towns or FBs
  • adjust supply

As this is a shoutout to the hard working team behind the GM corps, I want to give the players of course as well the opportunity to give some feedback and to maybe thank the team for their work.
There still are going to be critics but they are of course welcome, too. Just keep it civil.

And yes, we are looking to extend the team. If we haven't approached you yet and you consider to apply, drop us an email to agm@playnet.com and tell us why you would be the perfect match. Please include your game name.

Many thanks to the team for your patience, dedication, endless hours on duty, endurance and accuracy!  

Keep up the good work!

And all other players, I only can encourage you to use the in game .report function. We cannot help you if you do not use .report.

bb

8 people like this

There are many positions/volunteers within CRS that us players either don't see or recognize. GM's and Mod's definitely get the raw end of the stick. Kudos to you and the teams for all you do!  

S! 

S! Bierbaer and to all the GMs and mods for their hard work trying to keep the game fun and fair for both sides. Keep up the great work

1 person likes this

Ditto what Chimm and Birdman26 said.  Talk about a necessary yet totally thankless job, GMing has to be one.

I offer my heartfelt gratitude to all the GMs.  The game couldn't run without you.

17253895.gif

-Irish

1 person likes this

It's too bad it's all lead by @BIERBAER ;)

In all seriousness, this is a fantastic job done by the great volunteer GMs in this game.  It is an underrated thing that these people do.  I'm glad they are anonymous in order to allow them to continue to do their job and still enjoy the game.

S!

1 person likes this

Thanks for the report. I know you guys do stuff, but it's one of those things you never see. You only get to see the offender get away with it but not the follow up.

46 minutes ago, haupt said:

it's one of those things you never see. You only get to see the offender get away with it but not the follow up.

Its like the Mafia
No one sees Joey Two thumbs get iced, just one day you notice he isn't around screwing things up anymore.

5 hours ago, BIERBAER said:

Sometimes it is insanely abusive language directed at the GM corps or CRS staff.

I am betting there are 3 allied names in particular that are a never ending source?
Id love to have an ingame .admin stfu function.
Not only do they flood you with nonsense, they flood the game chat with the same.

Hah, I like that! We should consider issueing Italian codenames to the GMs :P

@hauptEven though it was very funny, Merlin kinda nailed it. We do not issue bans because someone says so. We issue bans based on facts and evidence we  gathered. As mentioned this can take minutes or even months. Many times we as well come up empty handed following a .report as there is just nothing to follow up on. Sometimes players will not accept that as they still will argue their case. 

Thanks for the overall positive feedback! It is going to be refreshing for the GMs to see

bb

Thanks for your hard work, though I personally think you were too nice. Planetside 2 dealt with harrassment from clans threatening to leave if so and so wasn't done, by banning every single one of them and publishing a very strict no tolerance policy to go along with it.

I would go full ww2online'emon ... Gotta ban'em all!

13 hours ago, BIERBAER said:

the age average is probably way above 30

Wow, old men and women shooting each other. I fit right in there :)

Thanks for the work of the GMs, I didn't notice.

Thank you to all the Gm's that donate their time freely and help the game I can imagine sometimes it must feel like a thankless task S! 

kidd wins!

I concur!

Thank-less animals doing their thing for the luv of the game.

I thought this thread was about the GMS having an SMG Showdown against each other on the bridge in  Dinant.   

productbanner-shootout.jpg

yes. well, thx to GMs. S! 

Shout out to the GM team, They do a really fantastic job.

I'm just sorry they have to put up with me sometimes. I am fairly quick to temper, and offer apologies in side chat when I get out of hand.

Keep up the great work!

You couldn't pay me to do what you or the GMs do, BB. 

This game is overrun with tin foil hat wearing lunatics that report something every time they get killed lol. You must spend more game time chasing down wild goose chases than playing. 

1 person likes this

Hey, what a interesting post!

Ty for your work to you and the rest of the GM gang!

S!

Thanks to the GMs for what you do. It is appreciated.

But I have to ask, and if it doesn't belonmg on an open forum would someone PM me....

WTH is a Buzzard sortie?

S!S!S!S!

52 minutes ago, Quincannon said:

WTH is a Buzzard sortie?

It's the magic wonder weapon that we unleash on those who ask questions....:P

1 hour ago, B2K said:

It's the magic wonder weapon that we unleash on those who ask questions....:P

:P

A small group of individuals who frequently receive negative feedback for doing the dirty work that no one else wants to do in order to make the game function properly?  Why does that narrative sound so familiar... :P

S! to the GMs.  Thanks guys.  

Being a GM is frustrating and I get that, but you all do this voluntarily. Don't have to tell you that @BIERBAER. I also know that most frustration comes probably not from cheaters, but from bugs in the game such as the "kill-bug". If players would understand this, there would be less nasty reports. So there are certainly some improvement possibilities. Also, it would be nice to get sometimes some feedback.

Finally, also from me: thank you for your GM function

On 7/18/2017 at 3:27 PM, Quincannon said:

WTH is a Buzzard sortie?

Only the dead can answer this, and the dead dont speak