• Announcements

• CHIMM

Operation Burning Skies   09/17/2019

All pilots scramble!  Strap yourself in for this months Community event - Operation Burning Skies! This Sunday, September 22, 11 am – 5 pm server time. In honor of XOOM and friends showcasing WWII Online at the Oregon International  Air Show – our forces too will battle for superiority in Operation Burning Skies. High Commands are on high alert to rally their forces to victory! Lift off, and see a whole new world of WWII Online… Fearless bomber pilots make the skies rain down fire – our daring fighter pilots are in pursuit of their prey- as western Europe erupts in war on the ground below! Rally your squads, rally your buddies - Combined arms are back!  …Under Burning Skies! SALUTE!
jw

campaign victory rules

20 posts in this topic

Maybe adjusting what constitutes a victory in that less of the map is required to decide the victor.  In each map regardless of the side which is winning, when it gets to the point where it is in the current campaign frustration sets in and players in numbers stop logging in and just look forward to the next campaign. I could be wrong but check the pop logged in at the map's current state as compared to the pop during times when the war could go either way. This map has already been decided obviously and many players lose interest at this point. 

Im no history expert, but didnt germany fight to the last city? commanding the last tiger in existence with the volksturm is the gaming experience CRS best not deny the players.

Victory conditions are 95% MAP ownership OR  capturing all 9 of any one nations factories (Well the town's they are in).  

If you would like different - what would you set them as?

Not sure B2K, it does seem to me however that the pop drops considerably during the times like the current campaign.  I think some players switch to the winning side just to put the poor thing out of its misery and look forward to the next map. Is lower player population a good thing for the game?  If that is not in fact the case then my point is void.

It's rare, but comebacks have been made when a side has lost a factory town. Been apart of it myself, on both sides. 

It doesn't happen very often at all, but when it does it's epic.  

Changing victory conditions would take away this opportunity. I think the current VCs are pretty much perfect, to be honest. 

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Mosizlak said:

It doesn't happen very often at all, but when it does it's epic.  

don't give up yet. 

Facebook-Right-in-feels-db5109.png

1 person likes this

The problem is that the brigade system makes the ending map battles un-fun, and there aren't any squads left to stage big ops and change things up. Otherwise the victory conditions of simple territory capture would be appropriate.

In Planetside 2 the fighting gets more intense as a faction gets beaten back to its warpgate. Frequently the biggest battles occur right before a continent locks. So it's definitely possible to keep players engaged until the end.

Just now, david01 said:

The problem is that the brigade system makes the ending map battles un-fun, and there aren't any squads left to stage big ops and change things up. Otherwise the victory conditions of simple territory capture would be appropriate.

In Planetside 2 the fighting gets more intense as a faction gets beaten back to its warpgate. Frequently the biggest battles occur right before a continent locks. So it's definitely possible to keep players engaged until the end.

Yeah, the unending supply is even more highlighted when the map becomes compressed. Kill 25 tanks? There's 50 more waiting to be spawned and then another 150 waiting to be moved in. 

Another reason why I vehemently disagreed with shelving the move to town supply, no matter what reason they gave. The flag/brigade system is that bad. 

1 person likes this

I think if they were to change the victory conditions, it would have to be capture a capital instead, but the problem with that is the current team would have to have the ability to make at least a few more cities and then the capitals themselves. and even at that, make capitals have 3 or four different attackable sections since berlin, paris, and London are quite large. maybe have different sections of each city be it's own "city" like roermond and roermond west, you could have maybe east and west berlin or north and south london or even split them into 3 sections

I don't know how to make it better, What I do know is I have little interest in playing at this point. I wonder how many players are experiencing the same feeling. Is that a good thing for the game? I did seriously consider for a moment switching sides just to help put the thing out of it's misery and move on to the next campaign.  I wonder how many players thought the same thing....

Like others in this thread have said  ......   Sides have turned around a losing map state to come back and win.  It happened not long ago!  

Oh no!
Hear me axis, I will be waiting for you on the cliffs of Dover!

We will defend our island, what ever the costs may be.
We will never surrender!

Come at me bro! :D

In seriousness, if we could have more map(towns)
I'd love to have england built out enough that it is very worthwhile for axis to press an invasion.
Id even let them have 35knot TT's to get there.

Edited by merlin51

8 minutes ago, OHM said:

Like others in this thread have said  ......   Sides have turned around a losing map state to come back and win.  It happened not long ago!  

True, But I noticed no one addressed the question I posed as to in game populations at this point in a campaign as opposed to early in a campaign when the outcome has basically been decided. Is the rare possibility of a turnaround worth players logging off in boredom? I don't know if that is even the case, not familiar with where to check those stats, but I can't believe that is good for the game to have players logging off and just waiting for the next campaign.

JW

I think if you simply changed the map percentage, you would just get that happening a bit sooner.
There are some people who basically take a break when the map is near victory, i think they always will perhaps.
But i have seen some amazing comebacks.

I remember one map, the axis were nearly crushed off the east side of the map, and some how they made a break out and they ran with it, and wound up cutting a bunch of french brigades in the south and BAM they were back in the game, in a big way too, because we could not get anything down there fast enough to contain them.

If i remember correctly they actually wound up winning.

Now myself, last night, playing only rifleman on my tow truck driver.
We had an awesome time holding veurne.
It was backs to the wall, they had a 3 town cut, and we did not have the resources to try to take roulers and relink supply.
We knew it was going to be bad, and we did not want the brigades routed, so we copied history and started evacing them to Dunkerque.
But the only way to do that was to keep veurne until the moves completed.

Veurne, as you know, has an open AB, no walls or gates etc.
The amount of sandbag walls built and gun bunkers built and hedgehogs placed in order to give protected movement out of the infantry spawns, and prevent any easy egress to the AB bunker and interfere with tank movement was in my opinion impressive for 11 people to pull off so quickly.

While we may have lost Veurne by now, our mission was successful, we got almost all the brigades to dunkerque, except one pocket that got isolated and could not move at Brugge. 

You dont have to be winning to have fun.
Wish the people that go on break at endgame would feel that way too.

Edited by merlin51

2 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

Yeah, the unending supply is even more highlighted when the map becomes compressed. Kill 25 tanks? There's 50 more waiting to be spawned and then another 150 waiting to be moved in. 

Another reason why I vehemently disagreed with shelving the move to town supply, no matter what reason they gave. The flag/brigade system is that bad. 

yupppp

47 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

JW

I think if you simply changed the map percentage, you would just get that happening a bit sooner.
There are some people who basically take a break when the map is near victory, i think they always will perhaps.
But i have seen some amazing comebacks.

I remember one map, the axis were nearly crushed off the east side of the map, and some how they made a break out and they ran with it, and wound up cutting a bunch of french brigades in the south and BAM they were back in the game, in a big way too, because we could not get anything down there fast enough to contain them.

If i remember correctly they actually wound up winning.

Now myself, last night, playing only rifleman on my tow truck driver.
We had an awesome time holding veurne.
It was backs to the wall, they had a 3 town cut, and we did not have the resources to try to take roulers and relink supply.
We knew it was going to be bad, and we did not want the brigades routed, so we copied history and started evacing them to Dunkerque.
But the only way to do that was to keep veurne until the moves completed.

Veurne, as you know, has an open AB, no walls or gates etc.
The amount of sandbag walls built and gun bunkers built and hedgehogs placed in order to give protected movement out of the infantry spawns, and prevent any easy egress to the AB bunker and interfere with tank movement was in my opinion impressive for 11 people to pull off so quickly.

While we may have lost Veurne by now, our mission was successful, we got almost all the brigades to dunkerque, except one pocket that got isolated and could not move at Brugge. 

You dont have to be winning to have fun.
Wish the people that go on break at endgame would feel that way too.

"You dont have to be winning to have fun."   Yeah I know, of course that is so true. But when the numbers are so overwhelming when people "take a break" it begins to not be so fun getting run over for days and days.   I guess it's time for me to "take a break"

Edited by jw

49 minutes ago, jw said:

But when the numbers are so overwhelming when people "take a break" it begins to not be so fun getting run over for days and days.

You kind of have to pick your fights then
That is what we did last night.
We made our fight the AB, not the town itself, just the AB. We let the CPs go, and just set the AB up so it was an unfriendly place, and that's where we bled them.
Our mission was to hold the AB until the BDE movements completed, kind of a fighting retreat if you will.

It did help a lot that everyone that was there was on board with it, everyone got into the spirit of it.

1 person likes this

Factions have bounced back from their factories in the past, but those events always involved some major player fluctuation and/or rule changes mid-campaign. The environment was also different. Spawning, server pop, softcap rules, brigade lists and timers, FB hitpoints and HC pop have all changed.

All the things put in to stabilize the frontline and prevent cutoffs also lock in the end result. This isn't necessarily a bad thing but people that play for strategy can predict the winner. The rest of the players just know that the town battles suck with lots of units or low player numbers. The only way to improve the situation would be to make town battles interesting even with lots of supply and when there are fewer players. I agree with the OP though; people seem to just sort of accept this phase of the map as natural when in FPS games one side giving up before the match is over is a usually a sign that something went terribly wrong.

I was at Talmas last night (Axis), held the western Spawn CP against three ei and felt so proud. Then I died because I was out of grenade and had only one mag left, rushed down and got shot by an lmg. Still fun though :) (respawned on three different attack missions and got on each instant-shot by an enemy tank, not fun)

Then I joined a mission to take out an FB, I rolled an engineer, ei in efb, got shot off the truck, respawn, truck made it back to fms, also rolled an engineer, we went back to the fb, a third engineer joined, I get shot, respawn, then I shot 3 ei with my engineer (one of them FR Sniper), placed four satchels and shot my very first tank with a Panzerschreck! I had such a rush and we took that FB out :D 

Edited by disi