Scotsman

New HE Model

32 posts in this topic

Sample burst against multiple exposed targets to give everyone an idea of fragment reach (based on mass and velocity). Every munition is different in that regard. Targets are fully elevated and exposed infantry here. Note only frags that will hit a target are thrown at it

79f50bf10e0133d8f7a0a2e3e2a663eb.jpg

1 person likes this

tumblr_mxyusxlzNx1qkxw76o1_500.gif

Dude... not wasting server resources tracking frags based on whether or not there is someone exposed to that path is brilliant.

Efficiency FTW!

I'd love to see this audit in place before Steam, so we can all work the bugs out live before hand, but I understand its just not in the cards now. Still, I can't wait.

Really nice work!

On 7/15/2017 at 7:32 PM, shortbus said:

Could be good... Wait and see I guess..... 

it will be good.  It effectively lowers the total # of shrapnel the game has to track, but ups the pieces thrown at players to RL (or close) historic #'s.  

What's going to piss players off though is the damage caused because suddenly everything should be more lethal compared to current weapons. Assuming no unknowns in code.

Things like near misses with HE should produce more kills to unarmored targets.  

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, scotsman said:

Note only frags that will hit a target are thrown at it

In my case, that would be all of them :(
Im just lucky like that

Thats a large fragment blast area.

If HE is going to be so lethal then CRS might want to allow for fragments to only wound people more, rather than killing guys all the time.

Otherwise EA will probably rip up the infantry play too much in game and I think the ground huggers won't like it too much.

Having people get wounded more often, rather than dieing with one hit would be more realistic too.

Edited by krazydog

Bombs you usually die, or get ripped up pretty good that your out of commission.
Nothing your going to continue running around from.

Hey, we got AA and fighter planes.
And the same new HE is going to apply to bofors shells, so they might smart a bit more when they hit the bombers.

I know one thing, i'm putting down lots of sandbags and foxholes

This all well and good. About time.  (Thanks Scotsman)

BUT: does the grenadiere kill himself when shooting near his own feet???????? It better.... or you will hear a lot of screaming.

And as  Xoom spelled out, balance will not be acived by nerfing, but by numbers in spawn list.

If Ea become to powerful, expect 1-2 Db7, may be 1or 2 two hurrys instedad of unlimited supply.

That will get the fear of Death in to the fly boys.

1 hour ago, imded said:

BUT: does the grenadiere kill himself when shooting near his own feet???????? It better.... or you will hear a lot of screaming.

I got a feeling he will be turning himself into sushi.
Along with whom ever is near him

Will this work the same with flak going off near a plane? Direct hits should not be necessary. 

One thing I've heard from Hatch and Scotsman repeatedly over this HE audit process is that this will work both ways in regards to air HE. Yes, the bombs will be throwing more fragments (as you can see from the screenshot), but AAA HE will also have their historical fragmentation numbers as well, meaning that it will be throwing more just like the bombs will. This is really going to make things interesting for fights around factories and airfields with all that high caliber AAA!

I'd be really interested to see the new HE effect on the 40MM and larger AAA guns just for comparison's sake. As someone who enjoys flying bombers i'm sure it's going to give me more than a few brown alert moments.

Hello All.

This is my understanding in relation to AA and Aircraft HE rounds in-game.

All player controlled AA and aircraft mounted cannons in-game use contact fuses so you are still going to have to "Hit" a target to detonate the round. With the increased fragmentation count there is likely to be more damage inflicted on the target. e.g. the round hits a wing tip and detonates. Most of the aircraft will be affected by the greater fragmentation numbers generated. One would think that those kind of near but not square hits will be more devastating than they currently are. Just more fragments for damage stuff. I am aware that pretty well all Air/AA rounds from about 13mm (may be 15mm) and up in-game time out and detonate resulting in the puffs you see when firing at aircraft. This may actually trigger fragmentation. I would have to defer to one of the Devs for that information.

The in-game AI AA on the other hand seems to be a bit unusual. Unusual in the way that they all appear to be firing time fused rounds. From a historic/real world perspective this should not be the case. The light (20/25mm) and medium (40mm) AA guns didn't use fuse setters and time fuses as they would directly engaged the target using contact fuses. The heavy (88's and 3.7") did use fuse setters but unlike the in-game versions did not directly engage individual aircraft. In addition I would suspect being too close to one of those "puffs" could be very unpleasant. I also suspect the range (post HE Audit) that will be "too close" will be significantly further than it is now.

It will be interesting to see the results.

Cheers

James10.

I want nothing more than to see a bomb fall and ALL infantry or unprotected crews die within a 40ft radius.

We'll definitely need to be able to spawn bofors out of depots though. No sense in trapping them at the only spawn available. That'll just cause people to rage log.

On 7/16/2017 at 11:37 AM, imded said:

This all well and good. About time.  (Thanks Scotsman)

Not if your a allied player you got plenty of time to run away from your own grenade but so will your enemy well that's not entirely true he can shoot you then run away. Rats deserve a lot of credit that grenade rolling around on the floor a few feet away is pretty cool even if it does not kill anyone.

On 7/15/2017 at 11:22 PM, krazydog said:

Thats a large fragment blast area.

If HE is going to be so lethal then CRS might want to allow for fragments to only wound people more, rather than killing guys all the time.

Otherwise EA will probably rip up the infantry play too much in game and I think the ground huggers won't like it too much.

Having people get wounded more often, rather than dieing with one hit would be more realistic too.

Lipton

working time fused director based HE in background but no eta yet

all frags don't kill...it's already based on frag mass and velocity so you can get nicked rather than killed. The bigger the HE though the larger the casing and the larger the frags.

the heavy AA HE vs planes should be a lot more effective but they really become what they should be with error corrected time fuses

Could make a *huge* difference as an inf player clearing out CPs/bunkers.

As it is, I toss all four nades into a CP to get what I assume is good frag coverage on 2nd floor while watching steps in case he runs down...but it almost always makes no difference: EI *usually* alive and well. Hell, the same goes for bunkers (excluding ridiculous BFG-type insta-kill German grenadier).

After the new HE model, I'm expecting that the days of lame camping/staring at a stairway or hallway in CP/bunker will at long last be OVER, and that defenders will have to be more active in keeping attackers *a good distance away* from the CP/bunker in the first place.

For that matter, I'm hoping the German grenadier will revert to its proper longer range role rather than the point-blank insta-kill button it is now.

As a day-one player, the switch to the new (very cool-looking) house/manor buildings instead of the original bunkers was a huge relief; the vulnerability of these buildings made them much more realistic than have an unassailable suicide bunker in every single town and tiny village in the entire map. These buildings will surely become even more vulnerable (to nades and the like) after the audit (I hope). I've passionately despised the "If you're a good player, then you should sit in this CP/bunker and stare at that wall for the next 20 minutes" game mechanic that was (and still is) built into the CPs/bunkers. Having done my fair share of CP and bunker defense over the last 16 years, I've earned the right to that opinion.

OTOH, I foresee a newfound appreciation and probably an increasing demand for something *like* those old-school bunkers we used to have; ie *true* bunker and pillbox-type buildings like the AF bunker and pillboxes we have in-game now. Perhaps one of the few places where inf will be "safe" from HE. While I'm opposed to sitting in CPs for 20 minutes, I would definitely be interested in more pillbox-type structures.

Edited by xanthus

the allied grenadiers have a very respectable kill radius, a bit larger than the German one (but they always detonate on the ground).

they're on par with the 75mm+ HE and mortars. the normal grenades are a different story...

sorry for being a constant downer about HE updates, the same thing's been done twice now yet a 250kg bomb can't kill someone under a roof and 75mm HE can't clear a room.

On 7/17/2017 at 9:34 AM, DAGGER said:

high caliber AAA!

DAGGER said axis getting 88mm flak guns for 1.36!! :popcorn:

49 minutes ago, Capco said:

Time for the Allies to ramp up the Air Quakes ;)

Hey, the blen might strike fear in someone, instead of them laughing at it

Glove_2_(yellow_submarine).jpg

Warming up Stug3b,  load HE rounds , range AB ,make sure Squad mate parks ammo crate next to me, let death rain down onto them.

Edited by dre21

31 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Warming up Stug3b,  load HE rounds , range AB ,make sure Squad mate parks ammo crate next to me, let death rain down onto them.

You go right on ahead, pay no attention to the B1 and laffly sneaking off into a bush :P

Wish we had this back when dinant and ahnee used to go to war on a regular basis

15 hours ago, merlin51 said:

You go right on ahead, pay no attention to the B1 and laffly sneaking off into a bush :P

Wish we had this back when dinant and ahnee used to go to war on a regular basis

Lol u must think I'm a noob in the Stug3b.  B1 sneak is funny , it won't even get close enough , the Laffy might make it if u use the stealth engine off and roll forever feature u have. But as soon it's in Audio range it's as good as dead by a well placed HE round.