te5la

Why Play WWII Online?

45 posts in this topic

This is a serious question. I stumbled onto this game by accident. I am wondering why someone would pay to play this over the free Heroes & Generals?

Thanks in advance.

12 minutes ago, te5la said:

This is a serious question. I stumbled onto this game by accident. I am wondering why someone would pay to play this over the free Heroes & Generals?

Thanks in advance.

Depends, do you want a WWII MMO in a free and open world, or a WWII large shoebox shooter with a strat game that determines which maps are in play?

Not knocking H&G's but its a different kind of game entirely.

There are no maps in play, just 1 map and every single player is in that same exact map.
If you are sitting in frankfurt, and i form up a tank column in flavion and head east with my 50 tanks, eventuall, if we dont get blow up in the process
you are going to see me and 59 other tanks knocking on your door.

Download the game and run it in offline mode, take a look at the map, look at some of the cities, the terrain etc.
All of it, every road bridge town city river hill valley, all of it is in live play at the same time in the same instance, and all the players exist in it at the same time together
and can go anyplace in it they choose as any unit type they choose.

You have a free account, try it out, kick it around a little, steam release should be pretty close, and some nice game development updates coming right after that

Edited by merlin51
1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

Depends, do you want a WWII MMO in a free and open world, or a WWII large shoebox shooter with a strat game that determines which maps are in play?

Not knocking H&G's but its a different kind of game entirely.

There are no maps in play, just 1 map and every single player is in that same exact map.
If you are sitting in frankfurt, and i form up a tank column in flavion and head east with my 50 tanks, eventuall, if we dont get blow up in the process
you are going to see me and 59 other tanks knocking on your door.

Download the game and run it in offline mode, take a look at the map, look at some of the cities, the terrain etc.
All of it, every road bridge town city river hill valley, all of it is in live play at the same time in the same instance, and all the players exist in it at the same time together
and can go anyplace in it they choose as any unit type they choose.

I get it, but the same would be true for H&G for players on each map, wouldn't it?

Are you saying that there are just more players on a map in WWII Online?

What about the gameplay? From the videos I've seen, it doesn't look visually as nice as H&G, but graphics are not the only determinate in a game. The other aspects are what I'm asking about.

Because this game is a completely player-run and player-driven 24/7 WWII Sandbox MMO with a special atmosphere where at the end one side wins and one side looses. Like a huge soccer match that runs 24/7 and where a game can last from a few weeks up to several months. And where the team with the best player-skills, cooperation, teamwork, dedication, experience and organisation (and player-numbers) wins.

Edited by kosty

1 minute ago, kosty said:

Because this game is a completely player-run and player-driven 24/7 WWII Sandbox MMO with a special atmosphere where at the end one side wins and one side looses. Like a huge soccer match that runs 24/7 and where a game can last from a few weeks up to several months. And where the team with the best cooperation, teamwork, dedication, experience and organisation (and player-numbers) wins.

The same as H&G.  I'm no big fan of that game, I played for a brief time, but I think it was the same in that regard.

Welcome to the forums and the game!

WWIIONLINE is the one of the oldest games on the internet. We also have the largest Map to play on. There is no wall to stop you. We have Air, Navy and Ground units that can all play in the same area with no limit. 

No we do not have the Graphics that would knock your socks off but we do have is solid gameplay that the players can control. 

We also have the Greatest community by far !

We are NOT a pay to win game!
Whether you're currently in your free trial or a premium subscriber, your rifleman is going to respond the same way and inflict the same level of damage. This is true for all of our weapons, characters and vehicles.

Massive Scale
WWII Online is a massive scale WAR going on 24/7 driven by players. There are absolutely no zones, you can fly your aircraft from one end of the map to the other without despawning. Hundreds of players can end up in the same fight or supporting that battle in the Army, Air Force or Navy. This scale and combined arms realism is the core that makes WWII Online stand out from everything else on the market.

Simulation
A proprietary physics engine powers an advanced, component-based damage model for vehicles that simulates the actual components found in WWII units. In addition, we accurately model armor thickness down to the millimeter and flight models for aircraft down to every surface and control for a true-to-life simulation. Even the ballistics are precisely and accurately modeled for each type of bullet or round in the game.

WWIIOL is a LOT more simulation.  H&G is a lot more arcade.  For example, some of the things I've seen planes do in H&G defy explanation.

-Irish

16 hours ago, te5la said:

I get it, but the same would be true for H&G for players on each map, wouldn't it?

Are you saying that there are just more players on a map in WWII Online?

What about the gameplay? From the videos I've seen, it doesn't look visually as nice as H&G, but graphics are not the only determinate in a game. The other aspects are what I'm asking about.

Each map =/= one map. The map in WW2ol is HUGE. Back in the earlier days of the game when there were about half the cities there are now I walked as infantry from one side to the other. Took me something like 3/4 DAYS. With no respawn.

Instead of saying you don't get the differences, get ingame for a week or so. It will take you a few days to figure out what is going on, it is complicated. But get on Discord with the side you play, and that will greatly help you get into it. It is a great game.

1 person likes this

I'd like to hear why you're asking the question at all, what is missing from the homepage that explains what this amazing game is?

On 7/29/2017 at 3:08 PM, te5la said:

H&G maps are per situation.
If i am fighting in City, i can not leave city.
I am here
City_5.png

In WWII Online, i am in England, Germany, France, Belgium etc all at the same time, all in the same one single map.
See this  https://webmap.wwiionline.com/  ?
That is the game map, not a list of individual maps, that is the map itself, 1 single giant map.
One giant open world, no zones, no map loading.
And inside that giant map, there are cities. You just drive right into them, at any time.

Edited by merlin51
1 person likes this

On 7/29/2017 at 3:12 PM, te5la said:

The same as H&G

No, it is quite different than H&G
Like i said, you got a free account, use it and try it out, the game client download is only around 700mb

Well, for starters, you can't simply buy an awesome mg package that most others don't have giving you an unfair advantage.

It's one giant map, which has been said a few times already.

What WWIIOL DOESN'T have are annoying pop up messages and waypoints like an arcade game.

There are some system messages, but they're rare and can be shut off.

Aside from a chat bar message, you don't get that annoying whistle sound and a flashing area on your map.

You're not stuck in one small area until one side wins the area.

It's freedom, baby... yeah.

You feel like logging in and manning an AAA, you can. Anywhere.

You can tow a pile of them to cover an enemy airfield's approach and flight corridor if you want.

You can't jump into or out of tanks, but that's not an issue really. You have so much more freedom than in H&G that there really isn't much of a comparison.

Why do I pay to play this?

Because I can log in after the day's activities are over, pack a bowl, have a few beers and not have to drive somewhere to have fun. Voice comms just make that direct and awesome.

Try THAT in a dart or bowling league.

If you were to go out to someplace and have that much fun every night of the week, you'd end up with a DUI and spend a hundred bucks a week in beer and gas on top of it.

Sure, H&G is free, but what do you really get for free? You get to be killed over and over again by people who paid extra for upgrades, that's what.

H&G is frustrating and stale. A true shoebox FPS.

Boooooring.

I've found myself strafed by some dink in a spitfire, gotten mad and flown to the town they are terrorizing and shooed them away when I got bored with being a squshy ground target. Can't do that in H&H.

Let's say you are bored with a town. You can simply move or drive or fly to another. Having time to sit for a bit while you actually travel across the game map makes the action that much sweeter.

In H&G, it's just constant nonsense, all the time.

My squad played that for a couple of months and we all got really bored with it. 

Plus... onscreen kill messages are for suckers unless it during a "Kill a Rat" event.

I don't need to know that merlin51 *smg* someone else.

That does nothing but take my attention away from what I'm doing at hand.

No comparison.

And besides there is nothing like kicking the snot out of Vasduten1 - that's like +10 over H&G on that point alone.

2 people like this

Just join and play for the 2 weeks man, I am new here (and on the younger side) and it beats any game that I have ever played from battlefield, CoD, Heroes and Generals. It is alot like a better upgraded arma game 

This is why:

I started up H&G a couple of weeks/months back again and I really liked the infantry vs infantry gameplay but the pay-to-win/grind is just too annoying. Same for me with World of Tanks. Great game for what it wants to do but 1. it lacks diversity (only tanks and no long-lasting campaign) 2. long grind is part of the gameplay. I played MMORPGS for a couple of years besides this game and in WoW for example i got to level 40 (when it still took a decent amount of time) two times but after that the grind was too dominant. 

The only grind that World War 2 Online has is the "lulls" in action between major epic fights, and if you really care about the campaign then having to put all your effort into winning it (over a 30-90 day period) can also be considered a bit of a grind. Kind of a similar grind to those browser "build your empire" games like Travian. Guarding things, trucking people around, or map management as HC officer. Still that's kind of a choice you have. 

Edited by monsjoex
3 people like this

Ahhh the old days back when a squad had different branches ... cant wait till we are back to TBS and massive overstocking.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

I don't need to know that merlin51 *smg* someone else.

Yes you do, EVERYONE needs to know i actually hit something for a change.

2 people like this

56 minutes ago, stankyus said:

Ahhh the old days back when a squad had different branches

I just want to note, infantry ice skating is no longer in the game.

1 hour ago, stankyus said:

Ahhh the old days back when a squad had different branches ... cant wait till we are back to TBS and massive overstocking.

Wohoo im in the video :D (2:43)

2 hours ago, stankyus said:

And besides there is nothing like kicking the snot out of Vasduten1 - that's like +10 over H&G on that point alone.

...except when you are trying to camp an FMS with a Thompson and Vas spawns an LMG and sprays your azz dead.

Remember that a few nights ago? hahaha

I got killed and saw it was you, and decided it was worth wasting supply to kill you by spawning into the "camped" FMS. Took two tries.

Satisfying LOL

15 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

...except when you are trying to camp an FMS with a Thompson and Vas spawns an LMG and sprays your azz dead.

Remember that a few nights ago? hahaha

I got killed and saw it was you, and decided it was worth wasting supply to kill you by spawning into the "camped" FMS. Took two tries.

Satisfying LOL

If there are no pics, it did not happen.

32 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

I just want to note, infantry ice skating is no longer in the game.

Be twice as good when its back then..

1 person likes this

The common thread of those videos....population.  I miss those days.  BTW  CE lives not too far away.  We grad lunch every once and a while.

5 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

Well, for starters, you can't simply buy an awesome mg package that most others don't have giving you an unfair advantage.

It's one giant map, which has been said a few times already.

Because I can log in after the day's activities are over, pack a bowl, have a few beers and not have to drive somewhere to have fun. Voice comms just make that direct and awesome.

Try THAT in a dart or bowling league.

Image result for exploding bowling ball