turppin

Allied Gliders

8 posts in this topic

Image result for allied glider The allied bomber played an essential role in the European front, the way gliders would work is the troops would load up in the gliders with a pilot and co pilot like any normal plane, but instead of the troopers jumping out, the pilot would crash land ON PURPOSE, and thats how the gliders would work, but on crash landing the troopers inside would lock arms a.k.a brace for impact, the glider was used by British troops mainly but saw some american use, it would be cool to add this inside the game to have something new to the airborne of the allies, and can fun, ill add a video URL at the bottom of this post just so you guys can see further see how they were used. Thank You, and please consider this addition to the game. 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You just wanna see me stall and die, dont you?

Seriously though, you have to wonder what the guys were thinking when someone said

Men, we are sending on a plane with no engine, and we are going to crash land it into the countryside.
With you all onboard of course...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello All.

The use of combat glider borne infantry forces was pioneered by the German forces. German DFS 320 Assault gliders were first used to assault the Eben Emael fortress guarding the Albert Canal in Belgium during the early stages of the Battle for France in 1940.

Later the British and US used glider borne infantry forces to assist in the D-Day landings, Market Garden and other operations.

The Glider pictured was the Waco CG-4A, a US built glider. The still on the video shows the remnants of a British built Airspeed Horsa. Another British glider was the General Aircraft Hamilcar.

Other German gliders included the Go 242 and the largest glider being the Me 321 Gigant. Both of these gliders were eventually converted to transport aircraft by adding surplus aircraft engines to the glider airframe.  In both cases that also included adding undercarriage as well.

 

Adding Glider operations to World War II online I feel, would add a unique dimension to the in-game experience.

 

Cheers.

James10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What would be really cool if we added tank gliders (in tier 4-5) so that paras could have some armor of their own to help with a para drop. I think this is what the big thing with a glider would be because we have plans to transport the paras. This would add a very cool layer to the game as now the paras could have lightly armored tanks and give the paras more fire power. I have included some of the vehicles that were used during the war and when the were developed into glider tanks.

M22 Locust tank was a British/ American tank that could be in the gliders as a mid war tank (1942) to help bring allied para's 

Image result for m22 locust glider

The British had another one (Light Tank Mk VII Tetrarch) (designed 1938 but adopted into the 1st airborne in 1942)

Image result for Light Tank Mk VII Tetrarch glider

 

and the germans had a glider that could transport its light tanks (Me 321) (designed 1941)

 Image result for Me 321 tank

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, merlin51 said:

You just wanna see me stall and die, dont you?

Seriously though, you have to wonder what the guys were thinking when someone said

Men, we are sending on a plane with no engine, and we are going to crash land it into the countryside.
With you all onboard of course...

love you merlin LOL 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mariposa said:

What would be really cool if we added tank gliders

Quote

 

Unfortunately, they forgot to tell me until we were getting airborne.

That's like flying a freight train. OK?
Gross overload.
Trim characteristics all shot to hell.
l nearly broke both my arms keeping her level.
And when...and when we released, l cut as hard as l could, tried to gain altitude and still keep from stalling.
Came down like a fuc*ing meteor. Here's how we ended up. 

We were just...we were
just too damn heavy, you know?
The grass was wet.
Downward slope and all.

 

They would be my flight in it

FUBAR
:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2017 at 11:26 AM, james10 said:

Hello All.

The use of combat glider borne infantry forces was pioneered by the German forces. German DFS 320 Assault gliders were first used to assault the Eben Emael fortress guarding the Albert Canal in Belgium during the early stages of the Battle for France in 1940.

Later the British and US used glider borne infantry forces to assist in the D-Day landings, Market Garden and other operations.

The Glider pictured was the Waco CG-4A, a US built glider. The still on the video shows the remnants of a British built Airspeed Horsa. Another British glider was the General Aircraft Hamilcar.

Other German gliders included the Go 242 and the largest glider being the Me 321 Gigant. Both of these gliders were eventually converted to transport aircraft by adding surplus aircraft engines to the glider airframe.  In both cases that also included adding undercarriage as well.

Cheers.

James10

 

Actually, the RUSSIANS conceived and pioneered the use of gliders, but as a means to quickly get supplies and troops to front.

Germans saw this, YES, they actually where invited to see it (1933 I think)!

Kurt Student made the glider an OFFENSIVE tool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello frantish, how are you?

On ‎4‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 1:43 PM, frantish said:

 

Actually, the RUSSIANS conceived and pioneered the use of gliders, but as a means to quickly get supplies and troops to front.

Germans saw this, YES, they actually where invited to see it (1933 I think)!

Kurt Student made the glider an OFFENSIVE tool.

 

I am unaware who conceived the use of gliders for military purposes but I will stand by my statement:

Quote

The use of combat glider borne infantry forces was pioneered by the German forces.

It is also worth noting the Soviets helped the German paratrooper and armoured forces by allowing German participation in Soviet programs aimed at improving both of those forces.

 

Cheers

James10.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.