• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
a3ist

F2P opinion - "Raw realism" apparently

59 posts in this topic

Bombers doing 40deg dives onto target and then barrel rolls on egress
LMGs jogging upstairs spewing death and reloading without pause

Either stop saying 'realism' in all your advertising, or fix it. It's particularly infuriating to watch you sidestep the LMG issue with pithy comments when it would be a 20min job and maybe four lines of code - do you need help with it? 

I'm 42, I have kids, a job and a house. If I'm going to pay for this, I want the 2 hours of gaming I get to be what it bloody CLAIMS to be, not what I'm getting.

45 minutes ago, a3ist said:

That kind of sounds like what a stuka should do

46 minutes ago, a3ist said:

That, not one of them can do.
There isnt any infantry weapon in the game that can reloading with out pausing, i'd say you were seeing someone with a firebug
Phantom firing that is just noisy, not fatal.
Put simply, looks like they are firing when they are not, even during reload animation, walking, running, etc.

Yeah sorry, Stukas not withstanding. And I think a phantom fire is missing the point somewhat - in this realistic ww2 sim, 16 years in development, I can run upstairs with a squad weapon firing from the hip, reload and do it again every 4 seconds.

9 minutes ago, a3ist said:

do it again every 4 seconds.

Everyone's reloads could take longer, as they have to grab the ammo from someplace. That part would slow it down.
But that isnt 2 lines of code, it's artwork, and you have to get all the units done before releasing it, or someone gets shafted and someone gets a boost.
It also means the art guy isnt working on anything else, like the new UI etc

But that isn't without pause.

15 minutes ago, a3ist said:

I can run upstairs with a squad weapon firing from the hip

Even the DEV's don't think too much of that and i'm pretty sure it is on their list of things to address.
But they have to set priorities and stick to them or nothing, including that, gets finished.
If it was some big company with 100 devs it would be easier to do more faster, but it is only a handful of guys.

19 minutes ago, a3ist said:

Stukas not withstanding

Crazy real life thing about them, that isnt modeled in game.
You could set them to automatically pull out of the dive, and blackout the pilot.
Until it started encountering increasing amounts of enemy fighters it was a nasty lil bugger.

Yeah Stukas were way ahead of their time with that! But honestly - The 4 lines of code I was refering to are those disabling the trigger while jogging - an action for which we have absolutely no primary historical source whatsoever. 

As someone who really wants to give CRS my money for a cool ww2 infantry experience, I'm just not going to until it's right, and if comments are any indicator, it's ruining the infantry game and i'm not alone.

Edited by a3ist

43 minutes ago, a3ist said:

Yeah sorry, Stukas not withstanding. And I think a phantom fire is missing the point somewhat - in this realistic ww2 sim, 16 years in development, I can run upstairs with a squad weapon firing from the hip, reload and do it again every 4 seconds.

It's only about 3 year's worth of development. About 13 years of sitting doing nothing. Both the previous and the current team of Rats have had the ability to make changes but keep denying being able to do so.

Indeed. It's not realistic if it could've been fixed to be historically accurate in half an hour, and you haven't.

The OP simply has a point.

LMG's running and gunning around deserves a fix. Entire axis side will get pissed off as that is their baby but its a-historical as hell. Give them the Stg44 and at the same time neuter lmgs. Will ease the pain.

At a bare minimum it should take longer to reload a heavy mg34 while standing (I wonder actually how you would do that) than jamming a new clip into your mas/kar98. 

Still this game is far more realistic than others though.

Edited by monsjoex
2 people like this

Suits me - I don't mind being killed by weapons used as they were designed! I might do loops over town in a twin engine bomber to celebrate

Whats your point again?

That being said - since the "recent" nerf like 5 years ago, the mg34 plugs rounds, WHEN FIRED undeployed and aimed dead ahead even - EVERYWHERE - ie starting w your TOES all the way to the CEILING at random (and thats when standing still, not even talking about walking and firing it, if you hit the ground or sky at all youre lucky) - as in, this guy here in the video firing it and aiming away would have his toenails clipped and eyebrows perforated by random rounds emanating from the barrel.

Replacing a 50round drum magazine is also not a "squad job" requiring the gun to be laid down - stripped down - half day presence in the maintenance shop or whatever you wish for or are accustomed to or any such stunts: open receiver, SLIDE new drum on left side, pull end of clip by the tab, first 2 rounds 5cm into reciever, close-slam reciever - fire. Texting while driving is more difficult yet nobody complains about that unless youre on the receiving end of such a dipshat...

Accept the fact already that the MG34 was specifically designed and built for ease of operation requiring as little personell as possible while laying down a maximum amount of firepower and rather accurately at that - while the mg42 skipmed on the last part it made up for by increased reliability and higher ROF yet the original design philosophy remains

Its not like the mg34 it was some top notch, ultra modern, highly sophisticated machine gun featuring such advanced gimmicks as 50lb water coolers connected to the barrel jacket w 2m long hoses weighing in at around 90lbs+...

MG34 = 25lbs w bipod - something every halfway fit male can carry and lift w one arm - you do it when going shopping holding 3 gallon jugs of water with one hand and thats more arkward to do even...

W regards to the planes: Stuka, was designed to do so - HE111, not so much but you hardly see a HE111 live long enough anyway after the initial drop if it even gets to that

DB7/Havoc - now theres Science Fiction Gene Roddenberry could not even have come up with...

2 people like this

1 hour ago, gsc said:

Whats your point again?

That being said - since the "recent" nerf like 5 years ago, the mg34 plugs rounds, WHEN FIRED undeployed and aimed dead ahead even - EVERYWHERE - ie starting w your TOES all the way to the CEILING at random (and thats when standing still, not even talking about walking and firing it, if you hit the ground or sky at all youre lucky) - as in, this guy here in the video firing it and aiming away would have his toenails clipped and eyebrows perforated by random rounds emanating from the barrel.

Replacing a 50round drum magazine is also not a "squad job" requiring the gun to be laid down - stripped down - half day presence in the maintenance shop or whatever you wish for or are accustomed to or any such stunts: open receiver, SLIDE new drum on left side, pull end of clip by the tab, first 2 rounds 5cm into reciever, close-slam reciever - fire. Texting while driving is more difficult yet nobody complains about that unless youre on the receiving end of such a dipshat...

Accept the fact already that the MG34 was specifically designed and built for ease of operation requiring as little personell as possible while laying down a maximum amount of firepower and rather accurately at that - while the mg42 skipmed on the last part it made up for by increased reliability and higher ROF yet the original design philosophy remains

Its not like the mg34 it was some top notch, ultra modern, highly sophisticated machine gun featuring such advanced gimmicks as 50lb water coolers connected to the barrel jacket w 2m long hoses weighing in at around 90lbs+...

MG34 = 25lbs w bipod - something every halfway fit male can carry and lift w one arm - you do it when going shopping holding 3 gallon jugs of water with one hand and thats more arkward to do even...

1. I dont see him moving in a building, moving his sight. Hes only standing still in 1 spot. Maybe he could walk forward a little bit. Try to change your aim 45 degrees while firing..

2. He doesnt reload it. Again im not saying you need a 2 man crew to reload a mg34 (while standing). Im saying it should take LONGER than a rifle. Currently all lmgs reload as quick as a smg. Realism ánd gameplay wise thats just bad. CoD1 showed perfectly how it is supposed to be: thompson = quick movement quick reload, BAR = slower movement slower reload but better long range. That stuff made sense.

Edited by monsjoex
1 person likes this

7 hours ago, a3ist said:

Either stop saying 'realism' in all your advertising, or fix it. It's particularly infuriating to watch you sidestep the LMG issue with pithy comments when it would be a 20min job and maybe four lines of code - do you need help with it? 

I'm 42, I have kids, a job and a house. If I'm going to pay for this, I want the 2 hours of gaming I get to be what it bloody CLAIMS to be, not what I'm getting.

You are right at least when it comes to LMG, should be the same as redorchestra.

4 hours ago, gsc said:

Whats your point again?

Oh man, time to smash head into the damn wall again.

HE'S TALKING ABOUT LMGs FIRING FULL-AUTO WHILE JOGGING.

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP RESPONDING TO THIS BY POSTING A VIDEO OF A DUDE FIRING AN MG34 FULL-AUTO WHILE STANDING, FROM THE HIP, ETC. We KNOW this can be done and don't give a damn because it has ZERO to do with the issue being raised.

" LMGs jogging upstairs spewing death "

This is a 100% valid observation of something that was asked to be fixed over a decade ago (by me and others; I link to a 10-year-old thread above); As mentioned, I would go so far as to say it breaks CP capture and defense.

OP is 100% right: If this game is about realism, PLEASE DISABLE FIRING AN LMG WHILE JOGGING. Any notion that this would be a time-consuming fix is simply and unequivocally false.

As someone who's supported this game going back to its original beta, it's frustrating beyond belief to know that something you've been calling to be fixed for 10+ years not only has yet to be fixed, but that the complaint has now outlived the original dev team. :( 

HERE'S A PRO-TIP, FOLKS:

IT'S NOT A COINCIDENCE THAT THIS IS THE SECOND THREAD THIS WEEK BY A NEW PLAYER COMPLAINING ABOUT THIS SPECIFIC ISSUE.

I'm REALLY not looking forward to seeing this repeated over and over and over again once Steam release comes. And every time, there'll be a response from someone who didn't actually read what the OP wrote, and thinks he's settled the matter by posting one of the million or so videos of people shooting an MG34 full-auto while standing. 

We can only hope that with enough threads like this, someone will finally notice and make things right (and please, no head-shaking while you try to shoot either).

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, gsc said:

Whats your point again?

W regards to the planes: Stuka, was designed to do so - HE111, not so much but you hardly see a HE111 live long enough anyway after the initial drop if it even gets to that

DB7/Havoc - now theres Science Fiction Gene Roddenberry could not even have come up with...

I'd be interested to see what he actually managed to hit - given the way that barrel is all over the place.

haha xanthus. You represent my thoughts on this issue :D

Id like to see someone do a practise run (you know indoor where you have to clear a building shooting cardboard targets) with a mg34 or anything as heavy.

Any videos of that?

-no G limits

-infantry footsteps can be heard clearly 100m away giving someone with headphones radar

-all tanks have the same reload speed regardless of ammunition size or crew setup

-some vehicles can coast for kilometers with their engine off

-AI machine gun and AT pits ignore foliage, have unlimited ammo and will kill an unaware player several hundreds of meters away

-no climbing, clambering or any way to scale a minor obstacle, but infantry can drop two stories and run around on roofs no problem

-dozens of multistory houses in a town but no furniture in them

Realism is either dismissed or invoked at will and the goal is always to justify some annoying game mechanic. So the game isn't realistic but it is annoying. That's why players run around clearing depots with LMGs yet the riflemen can't even hold their rifles straight.

"-no G limits "

Pilots will black out and lose control, so there are g limits in that respect.

"infantry footsteps can be heard clearly 100m away giving someone with headphones radar "

A bit of an exaggeration, but I grant that the sound design is flawed e.g. a gun fired near you sounds the same as if it was fired 200 m away (at least to me), etc. There's also some really, really glaring issues with the sound files themselves (bad, very noticeable buzzing artifact on k98k reload, etc) but that's a different story. I grant that the sound design is a sore spot and needs to be overhauled big time. While there's nothing quite like hearing such a rich variety of so many different sounds at once in a big battle (and knowing that almost every single one was generated spontaneously by an actual player, an experience you really don't get in any other game in existence AFAIK), the sounds themselves are not well-implemented IMO.

"-some vehicles can coast for kilometers with their engine off "

Yep, I'm with you on this. Another glaring sore spot. Some intrinsic physics issues here, I suppose. I've always thought this was similar (although likely unrelated) to the way an inf goes flying several meters forward when he's killed while running...

" AI machine gun and AT pits ignore foliage, have unlimited ammo and will kill an unaware player several hundreds of meters away "

I accept this as a compromise; I think the concealment factor would be very difficult to implement. AI basically just a warning system IMO. AI better than no AI, or not? It's a tough call. Many years ago, you could waltz into an enemy town, simul-cap all CPs while pre-camping an AB without a single round being fired, it was pretty ridiculous. At least now, you have to fire some rounds or get shot at least...

"-no climbing, clambering or any way to scale a minor obstacle, but infantry can drop two stories and run around on roofs no problem "

AFAIK, scaling minor heights is currently being worked on and possibly will be implemented in the game some time "soon." I'm with you on the dropping two stories thing (laughably ridiculous seeing infantry flying out of the second story of the depot all the time); I feel like a nice CRACKING noise on landing and a forced-walk (i.e. the speed you get when you press t) would be a good fix for now, and it would be relatively easy to implement. These are loaded-down infantrymen, not kids doing parkour. However, I don't see why they shouldn't be able to run on roofs... In general, however, I submit that the infantry speeds are too fast and unrealistic anyway, and it makes for sub-optimal gameplay (and were based on very dubious and innumerate use of raw data; they goofily figured that an infantryman should be able to carry out a fastest run-for-your-life sprint, and that he should be able to do it ad-infinitum as long as he rested briefly between sprints). I'd much rather see slower inf (which would make for much better gameplay, btw), like in games such as Red Orchestra...

-dozens of multistory houses in a town but no furniture in them " 

Couple buildings do have furniture (the so-called "bunkers", ie AB house, and AB farm compound, the "white" building has tables in it). Probably the best example in the game right now of what I think you want to see (and I want to see) is similar to the nice light tan-colored brick building that is probably the single best, most-period appropriate and most immersive building in the game so far; vine-covered wall, good-looking furniture inside, lots of nice details in the interior (unfortunately, second floor door can't be opened). The stone farm buildings (the ones with the stable) are also PERFECT imo. The windmill, the absolutely gorgeous AF bunker (complete with tables, chairs, maps, ceiling lights). Probably a few others I'm forgetting. So while it's true that most of the buildings are a far cry from realism (they look more like something out of minecraft), it's worth emphasizing that there are some truly excellent examples where that isn't the case.

Edited by xanthus

Let's remember that we are supposed to be roleplaying a typical WW2 era soldier, not some slightly tubby, middle aged bloke.

Most of the soldiers definitely could not fire one standing or from the hip. I expect most (especially the youngsters who were fighting for germany towards the end) could barely lift one without help.

Edited by calyx6

8 minutes ago, calyx6 said:

Let's remember that we are supposed to be roleplaying a typical WW2 era soldier, not some slightly tubby, middle aged bloke.

Most of the soldiers definitely could not fire one standing or from the hip. I expect most (especially the youngsters who were fighting for germany towards the end) could barely lift one without help.

Definitely true...but we don't even have to assume that these guys aren't the equivalent of US Navy SEALS to know that they're not going to be able to do Usain Bolt sprints ad-infinitum, or fly out of the second story of a building while doing so, etc etc... Infantry definitely need audited. And while we're at it, lose the ridiculous, useless, green meter that means absolutely nothing (no, it isn't "ATP"), and heck, lose the red "blood" meter too! For the record, I disabled the silly useless "red" and "green" meters as soon as we could disable individual HUD elements. Just takes up precious real estate on the screen, kills immersion, and is generally not useful.

More needless HUD elements IMHO: the alerts, the orders, the town name and ownership bar thing (totally pointless). I also have the mini-map disabled (it kills immersion too much for me personally), but that's another story...

Edited by xanthus

7 hours ago, monsjoex said:

(I wonder actually how you would do that

Loading MG34, dont care of you got a belt or a box or what ever you can imagine.

Opening the Cover.  In a perfect world, you WONT.
It will never stick or jam, the leader will never fall off, the belt will never get lodged.
We know in realife like there are very few perfect days, we would all be suffering bouts of bent/dented magazine, muddy bolt/receiver/ammo that keeps sticking, enbloc clips that
have decided to un-enbloc in your pouch, enbloc clip that decides it likes it in the rifle it wants to stay there.

Just for the sake of discussion, we will assume i am having a very bad day,
the leaders have gotten ripped off of all my belts, or the ramps are jamming and i cant pull them passed the feed, or what ever. 

The cover is  mostly the entire length of the receiver.
It does not want to stay open very well if i am running around.
Actually if i actually want to get it loaded, i wont be running, or jogging, more like shuffling .
And I am going to be better served by changing how i am holding the weapon, barrel pointed to my right, slightly barrel down will help.

So i got it cradled to my chest with one arm, holding it so the cover stays open.

Now i got to fish out the ammo, from where ever i have it.
We will forget for the moment about the fact that if this is a belt the thing is going to be swinging and twisting in the breeze
and is going to be really inclined towards falling on the ground, just pretend i have a box.

Which is not a box Magazine mind, its just a box with am ammo belt folded in it.
I still got to hang the box on the receiver, pull the leader tape out (if it has one, mine all got ripped off remember?), get the 1st round centered in the feed dog
and make it STAY that, while i am clumsily shuffling along, and get the cover closed,  with the round still aligned properly, otherwise it will just jam.

Did i mention the charging handle?
MG34 fires from an open bolt, so at some point in my shuffling, before i started jamming ammo into it, i had to get that pulled back

Or i could use the gun as a club and hit you with it, which might improve my day.

Now lets assume i am having the best day of any soldier in the entire history of the universe.

me an my belt fed LMG, any of similar design, MG34 MG42 M60 etc, are strolling along clubbing seals.
Oh Noes! We haz runned out of ammoes!

Even worse, theres a old polish woman running at me with a rolling pin.

So, i have to run.
Ah but i am having the most perfect day ever!  (then why am i in a war??)
So i will just load up another ammo box, and cut down the old bat.
Except first i need to retrieve on out of someplace, perhaps this satchel? box? what shall we call this??

But NOOOO! i can not do that yet
I have to pull back the charging handle!
Shew, good thing i remembered that.

Ok now to get the canned chicken out of the box.

Oh so i am running, with this nearly 30 pound weapon
Which also happens to be about 4 FEET LONG
Trying to cradle it in one arm, and fish out an ammo can, thats about the size of a small canned chicken, and NOT drop it, of course.
I have to get it hung on the receiver, its not so simple as a spring loaded box mag, those guys have it so easy, a blind man could run a marathon and reload one.
No, i got to get the front retainer inserted first, or the whole thing is going to call on the ground, then swing the rear in and pop into place.

Ah but wait, while doing this, i better make sure the lead tape is going through the receiver, otherwise it will be quite embarrassing.

Remember, i am doing this while running!

So now we grab the leader tape/ribbon/name you like here and pull it through the weapon, until CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK!  we have a round chambered.

Ok, NOW can i shoot the old bat??

Humor aside, that is about what reloading it would be like.
Now if you go run the game in offline mode (so you can actually see yourself)
If you spawn an MG34 and hit the reload button and watch yourself, you will see that the reload pretty much goes through everything i said above, the one part that is missing
and missing from everyone  is "Where did i just get this ammo from"  For all of us, it just appears in our hands right when it's time to pop it in, you could add at least a few seconds to all reloads just by having the guy reach someplace to get the ammo.
But if you do and watch the reloading animation, you will notice that hey, this guy is actually going through all the steps minus what i mentioned, and it
isnt the Flash doing it, it is pretty accurate.

What is not accurate perhaps is how well you can pull it off while jogging down the road.
But realize that goes a LOT of ways, not just the MG34

For all spring-box magazine fed weapons, reloading one while running your arse off is very much within the realm of reality.
release and let old one hit the ground, fish out new one and slap it in place.
Which only leaves the charging handle to deal with, and difficulty there will vary.
Some guns fire from open bolt and go to open bolt on empty mag, so for those its drop pop and fire.
The BAR, as someone mentioned above, is going to take about the same effort as dexterity as any other box mag feed.
One of the advantages of box mags, very simple, very quick.
Downside, limited ammo or the mag grows unwieldy, and they can be prone to dirt.
You can take a 100 round belt, roll it up loosely, and wrap a quick crappy box around it and just kind of hang it off the side, that has its obvious downsides too though.

Other guns require more dexterity and more of your attention to get reloaded.
I would imagine if you were trying to load single rounds into, say a Lebel? while running, there may be a trail of unused ammo leading to you.
Even enbloc clips have their difficulties, K98k clips can do a number on you if you arent paying attention, which if you are running you probably are not.

Fully addressing that would entail auditing all the units, and depending on what weapon you have as compared to what weapon the other guys has, he may still be lightning fast compared to you. It would be a major infantry update, not a quick change.

9 hours ago, monsjoex said:

LMG's running and gunning around deserves a fix.

That part is a valid complaint.
MG34 MG42 modern M60
They can be fired on automatic standing, it isnt optimal, its mostly a suppression thing, but they can be.
If accuracy did not count at all, you could advance.

ADVANCE, not run, not jog, unless you fancied shooting everything around you including friendlies, it isn't an M16.
And even an M16, god only knows what you'd hit, sky ground tree antarctica?
it would be a shuffling advance, or a fire advance fire advance fire advance.
It would also be burst firing, mashing the trigger and trying to waltz forward would be silly at best, at worst, you might be the only guy getting shot.

Jogging while trying to shoot a 25 /26 pound self vibrating 42" to 48" long stick would not be something you'd want the guy next to you to be doing.
So yea, that gripe is valid.

3 hours ago, calyx6 said:

You are wrong and right at the same time.

17yo 5'6" 120 pound soaking wet me did not have issue with either.
Its all about stance, and creating a secure firing platform with your body.
And being short actually has it's advantages in that aspect.
You dont have to be big.

That being said, there is also training involved and lots of repetition until you instinctively do the right thing without thinking.

Something that the little boys and old men at the very end probably had neither of

15 hours ago, a3ist said:

CRS has said in the forums for paying players that they plan on altering LMG hip firing and running/jogging.

Secondly, you dont even pay for the game.

Thirdly, act like a 42 year old.S!

1 person likes this

15 hours ago, xanthus said:

Oh man, time to smash head into the damn wall again.

HE'S TALKING ABOUT LMGs FIRING FULL-AUTO WHILE JOGGING.

PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP RESPONDING TO THIS BY POSTING A VIDEO OF A DUDE FIRING AN MG34 FULL-AUTO WHILE STANDING, FROM THE HIP, ETC. We KNOW this can be done and don't give a damn because it has ZERO to do with the issue being raised.

Stop slamming your head into the wall, maybe you'll grasp whats been said more clearly

Since "jogging" or, more accurately according to the animation depicted in-game, "Full Diaper Walk" is the default mode in-game it's not surprising the mg34 can be fired while doing so, also the "accuracy" or lack thereof depicts that.

Now, talking about wielding such a weapon in close quarters is another thing w regards to "accuracy". If you spray that thing into a room you might as well take a shotgun and just hit everything at once as well, same thing -  basically, combine it with th default "Full Diaper Walk" and you have the complaints as seen "Jogging while firing big gun clearing rooms/buildings"

For what its worth it wouldnt hurt to drop the walk down to the "Sunday afternoon stroll in a Park watching Ducks going to the Bathroom" animation either when firing if thats more pleasing on the eyes and such - it wont stop the fact that it could and DID get fired while moving =)

Course we seem to be missing the shoulder belt it came with or shoulder-aim like the dude in the vid but thats just an oversight im sure...

So, since you all seem to know that this can / could / did get done, whats the big discussion here? The fact that its done while the avatar is still in "Full Diaper Walk" mode while doing so? What...

The magic MG-34 is extremely obnoxious. Not appropriate that I see them used more as snipers than Snipers and for clearing buildings and close-quarters more than SMGs (look at Top LMGs vs Top SMGs). The MG-34 was amazing in real-life, but it is usually used in-game as the primary weapon for everything, any infantry job you can think of, rather than as a support weapon. What would fix a lot of the problems would be to deny LMGs the ability to run around and shoot at same time, that at least would deter the axis from using MG-34 constantly close-quarters. And it would be realistic. For some reason I can't imagine that dude in gsc's video being able to zoom around while shooting.

1 person likes this

10 hours ago, merlin51 said:

You are wrong and right at the same time.

17yo 5'6" 120 pound soaking wet me did not have issue with either.
Its all about stance, and creating a secure firing platform with your body.
And being short actually has it's advantages in that aspect.
You dont have to be big.

That being said, there is also training involved and lots of repetition until you instinctively do the right thing without thinking.

Something that the little boys and old men at the very end probably had neither of

I don't mean to sound rude, but that's almost twice the weight of the average person of that height from that era. I myself weigh a little over half of that and I can tell you that weight has a lot to do with what you can lift.

You can have the arm and torso strength of a god, but you're still not going to lift or stay stable with an item if you can't offset the mass.

Hes talking about pounds - 120 pounds = 54kg - 5'6" = 167cm -- a 167cm male weighing in at 54kg is already somewhat on the "feeble" side