Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Version 1.35.9.1 (Pre-Steam)

Cornered Rats

• CORNERED RAT
Cornered Rats

Tonight at 8PM US Central (Server Time) the Rats will be deploying version 1.35.9.1 on the NewLive game servers. This marks a very important step forward as we prepare for Steam. The expected down time is several hours as the work is pretty involved. The Campaign state will be preserved as it is and game play should resume by tonight or early morning Sunday if any unforeseen issues come about. Readme is inside.

eKII?d=yIl2AUoC8zA eKII?d=qj6IDK7rITs eKII?i=fyZ1_4GkZ6I:newTYvO9Y2I:gIN9vFwOqvQ eKII?i=fyZ1_4GkZ6I:newTYvO9Y2I:V_sGLiPBpWU eKII?i=fyZ1_4GkZ6I:newTYvO9Y2I:F7zBnMyn0Lo
fyZ1_4GkZ6I

View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com

19 minutes ago, blkhwk8 said:

Estimate downtime?

1 hour ago, Cornered Rats said:

The expected down time is several hours as the work is pretty involved. The Campaign state will be preserved as it is and game play should resume by tonight or early morning Sunday if any unforeseen issues come about.

Taking down the server at 8pm on a Saturday night ... for several hours at least.  

Shut down the server when the most people are off from work and look forward to playing the game.  Seems reasonable. 

I actually volunteered to sit at home and babysit my daughters son tonight so I could play WWIIOnline. Awesome. 

Edited by lipton
  • Like 2

/Me thinks there is a lot more going on serverside with the patch than the clients

/Me also thinks it's probably horribly boring and no one wants to read it in patch notes :P

Look forward to seeing what the improvements are.

For the future though, I would suggest it be done on off-peak days/hours.

!S

Don't complain about WHEN this is being done.  The Rats already know when the most people are online.  They have to do it when most of the RATS who are involved in the project (many of whom are volunteers) can be online.

-Irish

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, odonovan1 said:

Don't complain about WHEN this is being done.  The Rats already know when the most people are online.  They have to do it when most of the RATS who are involved in the project (many of whom are volunteers) can be online.

-Irish

Seems like a pretty fair gripe to me, actually. When you pay for a service, part of what you are paying for is a right to complain (within reason) when it doesn't meet your expectations. Would I unsub over the game being down a few hours on a Saturday night? Of course not. But am I peeved about the timing? Yes. 

Edited by hillstorm

I understand the timing with the current numbers of rats..but can you imagine the uproar when they try to do this after the steam release?

Remember, some of the rats are not paid and have to work around their normal jobs.
Probably needed to schedule this when it could be all hands since it entails clients and server.

1 hour ago, dropbear said:

can you imagine the uproar when they try to do this after the steam release?

Think that is why they are doing the host updates and expansions now, to avoid a long outage during it.
Also so we can try to break it before hand.

Lets hope it is Us proof :) 

So is the pre-steam release active??  Logged in this morning and did not see anything different.

23 hours ago, lipton said:

Taking down the server at 8pm on a Saturday night ... for several hours at least.  

Shut down the server when the most people are off from work and look forward to playing the game.  Seems reasonable. 

I actually volunteered to sit at home and babysit my daughters son tonight so I could play WWIIOnline. Awesome. 

So the server was taken down for 8 hours on a Saturday night and ... wait for it... they didn't even load the patch!  lol.  Awesome. You can't make this stuff up folks.  :lol:

Maybe now they can wait for intermission like they should have to begin with?

Hell, if they hadn't taken the server down last night, maybe we could have finished the campaign.  hehe

Edited by lipton
  • Like 1

You do realize that some of the RATS are voluntary so to speak
Being they are not also millionaires they have to go to work as a normal job.
Being big server side changes probably need all available hands, it makes sense that they would need to do it when all hands are available.

Think about it, if you worked for me and said hey i have to take XYZ day off because another company that i volunteer with needs me that day
to do this thing at a time when it's best for them and their customers.
Know what i would tell you?  I would tell you take all the flipping time you like, cause you're fired.

Fired not good.

As far as the patch, maybe the other stuff took so long that instead of keeping it down longer they decided to bring it back online instead of having you wait more?

Hell they brought multiple new cell hosts online.
Each one of those is basically a new game server, they all need the databases loaded which are huge, need programmed into the farm, run up, tested, if any issue it needs resolved
before they can go live etc.
Not exactly flip a switch and call it good.

Yea saturday night sucks, i was about to recap the AF bunker, but better now than during steam release.
And they have to do it when they can have all hands on deck.

And they did try to leave us the training server but some issue required it to come down also.

There is no "Good" day or time to do these things in any game, because out of the 7 days in a week, and the 24 hours in a day, they is some poor guy somewhere working on all of them.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

So what problems did they have, and any idea when they will try again?

Ive no idea, they have not said anything yet.

You know how it goes when you get locked in the "Fix dis sheet nao!" closet
you forget about eating sleeping and forum updating until about 12 days later when someone accidently lets the sun poke through a crack and you realize your face resembles a half dead porcupine, your hair a congealed blob of string soaked in crisco and you smell worse than a cadaver and the 2 litre bottles strewn about the floor are definitely NOT mountain dew.
:lol:

Edited by merlin51

• Free Play Account
5 hours ago, lipton said:

So the server was taken down for 8 hours on a Saturday night and ... wait for it... they didn't even load the patch!  lol.  Awesome. You can't make this stuff up folks.  :lol:

Maybe now they can wait for intermission like they should have to begin with?

Hell, if they hadn't taken the server down last night, maybe we could have finished the campaign.  hehe

You really are a know it all sadistic douche.....

Edited by Pittpete

Says the guys calling ME names. The guys that's ALWAYS calling ME names. And yet I never reciprocate.  You just call people names? That's your thing?

Tell me. Do you ever get warnings when you call people a douche? I know someone that did. But they were an allied player.  I'm guessing you get away with it all the time, don't 'cha. 

ps. I'm a business owner as well. I answer to my PAYING customers. Always. I stay in business by not screwing up on a regular basis.

How 'bout you Pete? Do you do anything other than attack me on a regular basis? I feel like I have this scary-azz groupie that follows me around. It's a little creepy dude. 

You might wunna find another hobby.  Maybe you're old enough to meet girls now.

Edited by lipton

• OHM locked this topic