Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

tsetse

Steam release (yikers)

B2K
31 minutes ago, calyx6 said:

I am simply trying to point out that this game probably uses less of it's revenue on development than any other subscription-based game currently out there.

You keep saying this - kind of curious where you're getting your numbers at/from.  Not only for this game, but the others you are comparing against. 

Merlin51
2 hours ago, calyx6 said:

The game is not personal or niche

Actually it is, it's a gronard hard core sim.
There are many games dressed like it, BF1942, MOH, COD, DOD and lots of others are dressed just like it, but that is just clothes.
Unless your painting with a really broad brush labeled WWII or FPS Combat etc, which really isnt the right way to go about it.

Simulations have always been a niche thing, regardless of type of sim.
Most tend to be overly hard, tedious or time consuming for the average gamer, and probably overly pain in the butt for whomever is developing it.

• Like 1

Merlin51
58 minutes ago, B2K said:

You keep saying this

You know that Porsche? The one that you dont have, that you dont drive to walmart to pick up the budget 99 cent bologna?
He apparently thinks you are iD Software post Doom 2 release

kapyong

Hey guys !

Don't lose heart - you're doing a great job Xoom and team.

Ignore the whingers, even if they have the upper hand lately.

Plenty of happy players cheering you on !

Kapyong

• Like 2

GrAnit
3 hours ago, calyx6 said:

Not a troll, just someone with experience ;)

We all have experience, and not the same point of view.

Xoom, you guys are doing an awesome job!!!.  Don't get worn out or bummed out.  The funnest times I ever had was after the release of a major patch (1.30?) and the population tripled for a week or so.  What a blast!  If we approach something like that it will be a very different and fun game play!

• Like 1

saronin
3 hours ago, XOOM said:

I appreciate that you are asking questions, that is a very healthy thing to do as opposed to making unfound assumptions without first learning facts or perspectives.

1. Marketing Guff...: You can call it that, I am a fan of our game and our player base. My commentary is highly scrutinized by players because I am a Rat, and now the President of CRS. So of course I am hopeful in the best success, and my words of optimism come at the heels of our Steam release after a hard fought battle. Sure, I want a positive outcome. You can't claim to want the same, and then come out on the offensive attacking us or holding the past above this new team's head.
  2. The game is not continuing forwards...: You are fully willing and capable to make those accusations. We have not moved forward as much as we would like, but we did clamp the bleeding and take this game from the brink of doom. We are now rebuilding and have evidence of much rebuilding, whether it be our infrastructure, client, host, personnel, knowledge of the code base and architecture, new content generated and so much more. Ask your fellow active community members how they feel, and what they see about this. 
  3. The UI is your most significant challenge?...: I believe this whole heartedly. Players being able to easily understand software and directing them to their best gaming experience is very important. Our UI is challenging and un-necessarily complicated. It is our goal to help simplify that further so users can get into action faster and better understand all or reduce some of the total hoops they have to navigate.
  4. The game is not personal or niche...: It is part of of several large genres, however it is a one of a kind product. There's a reason we have lasted 16 years concurrently. Despite heavy challenges and skepticism as being demonstrated here.
  5. Provide evidence of interested players...: To date we've had about 3 million impressions, and a little over 350,000 users have landed on our Steam store page to learn about WWII Online. That is the extent of which I can share information for you. That is as of about May 18th 2017 when we released our Steam store page into a coming soon status.
  6. Maybe we should listen to our players...: We are. We have been. We will continue to do so. I am responding to you to show you some common courtesy and to address your concerns, although you have sniped my organization, our community, our game and me personally.

I see how it is. You'll answer all those questions, but you wont answer a simple question that I have for you like what are wearing? I see how it is. 

• Like 2

Merlin51
3 minutes ago, saronin said:

you wont answer a simple question that I have for you like what are wearing?

0513785469d4d1778449b07de755e64263c1ab-w

david01
23 hours ago, tsetse said:

Anyways, I like to think of myself as realistic, others would say cynical. That being said, I really don't think this game will be accepted well with the Steam community. This game has a window of peak fun. It starts after you get a general idea of how things work, and lessens when you have a much broader understanding of how things work. 

I really hope it goes great. I would love to see this game full of people again. In my cynical opinion though, sadly it is not realistic.

I agree, it's not going to do well on Steam at all for a variety of reasons. It's all been predicted. Everyone saying that it's going to be successful is relying on many incorrect assumptions.

GrAnit
1 minute ago, david01 said:

I agree, it's not going to do well on Steam at all for a variety of reasons. It's all been predicted. Everyone saying that it's going to be successful is relying on many incorrect assumptions.

Why speculate when you will soon find out what will happen?

Merlin51
10 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

You're asking people that barely play

Capco
18 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

You're asking people that barely play

Hahaha ;)

Capco
6 hours ago, XOOM said:
  1. The UI is your most significant challenge?...: I believe this whole heartedly. Players being able to easily understand software and directing them to their best gaming experience is very important. Our UI is challenging and un-necessarily complicated. It is our goal to help simplify that further so users can get into action faster and better understand all or reduce some of the total hoops they have to navigate.

I agree with Xoom here.

The clunky UI cannot be underestimated.  How can one get a feel for combat when they can't even access the active battles properly?  How can the average High Command officer efficiently coordinate the flow of battle without the proper tools to do so?  

It's all related.  It's extremely important, for multiple layers of the game, that the UI be completely overhauled.

• Like 2

vasduten1

I think to define "successful in Steam" for this case is in order.

If 350,000 people have checked the game's page out back in May, if even 300 of those people sign up to play, (around 8%) the game will be so much more fun. If 500 sign up, it'll be even better, and across more time zones.

Seriously, even an additional 3-500 subscriptions would really give this game a big boost.

If a thousand of the 350,000 sign up... we may be reading about version 2.0 on a new engine by this time next year. We'd certainly see the HE and KE audits be implemented much sooner, a suitable fix for the current brigade system, the UI and  new vehicles as well. I like the odds here, even if I'd have preferred to see these changes tested out and amended by input from the current PB.

This game was *that* close to dying an unmemorable death an being lost forever. Now, it's not.

Success?

Being a blockbuster hit on Steam isn't what they're aiming for. I'm pretty glad that XOOM has such tact, despite some tremendous pressure. For that reason I'm optimistic.

Stay on course, keep fighting the good fight.

We're still here.

• Like 3

PITTPETE
54 minutes ago, david01 said:

All we need is 4-500 hundred subs to add and it will be a success.

Definitely achievable

• Like 1

david01
34 minutes ago, GrAnit said:

It's not speculating it's predicting. I'm making a prediction because this is a discussion forum.

delems

***  if even 300 of those people sign up to play, (around 8%)

Hmm, check your math there, lol cause in my math it's 0.086%, but I get your point.

fyi, 8% would be around 28,000 - pretty sure that would end the game as we know it, as it would crash and not work :)

Edited by delems
  • Like 1

XOOM

There's going to be a hell of a lot more than 300 or 1000 people sign up, I guarantee that :).

• Like 3

bob5
12 minutes ago, XOOM said:

There's going to be a hell of a lot more than 300 or 1000 people sign up, I guarantee that :).

YOU CAN'T GIVE THEM THE BT!!! I FORBID IT!!!! 

• Like 1

Merlin51
3 hours ago, david01 said:

It's not speculating it's predicting. I'm making a prediction because this is a discussion forum.

Can we load DOC v2.0?
Puhleeeze?

You do realize, the Oracle of Delphi is a corpse?
Actually the dust of a corpse now

Edited by merlin51
  • Like 1

aenlic

The main problem I see going forward is the supply imbalance.

The game as originally conceived had overpowered Axis units like the Tiger and the 88.  This was in-line with the historical reality. To balance this, another historical reality was also implemented: limited supply on things like the Tiger.  But now this has changed. Supply for Tigers seems to be way too much. If you're going to throw out the supply limits, then something needs to be done about the equipment imbalance. Give Allies an 88mm AA/ATG gun and the M26 Pershing tank or fix the sad situation of nearly unlimited Tiger tanks spawning. Otherwise, we're just going to be playing World of Tanks where one side gets all the good tanks and the other side rage quits, resulting in negative Steam reviews.

• Like 1

Merlin51
24 minutes ago, aenlic said:

Give Allies an 88mm AA/ATG gun and the M26 Pershing tank

Dont believe France Britain nor the USA fielded an 88mm gun native or captured.
Bit of a problem of ammunition.
75mm, 76mm 90mm, 105mm, and we already have 76mm.
And the M26 pershing does not come about until a later tier, it's an end game weapon, axis dont even have a tiger II or Panther yet.
Tiger I is a 1942 mid war piece of equipment, the tiger I was not even in production anymore when the pershing came in.

You're talking about a 90mm gun that can penetrate a panther angled frontal armor at 1100 yards and can punch through the mantlet and turret of the panther and king tiger at 800 yards and will simply splode any other axis unit just simply by spawning in.

Want to wreck balance, there ya go, you wrecked it.

Next allied tank that actually belongs in the game are the M3 lee and grant, and then the tiers readjusted so it sits in there properly
Has same gun as the sherman plus has a 37mm.
Axis have less tank types, their next tank would probably be the panther, but they have a lot of TD's that fit in the various tiers
panzerjager jagdpanzer maurder fit nicely in the current tiers.

We jump to pershings then we have to jump to tiger II's and Jagdtigers, and then we really got gaps of missing things.

SCKING
4 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Dont believe France Britain nor the USA fielded an 88mm gun native or captured.
Bit of a problem of ammunition.
75mm, 76mm 90mm, 105mm, and we already have 76mm.
And the M26 pershing does not come about until a later tier, it's an end game weapon, axis dont even have a tiger II or Panther yet.
Tiger I is a 1942 mid war piece of equipment, the tiger I was not even in production anymore when the pershing came in.

You're talking about a 90mm gun that can penetrate a panther angled frontal armor at 1100 yards and can punch through the mantlet and turret of the panther and king tiger at 800 yards and will simply splode any other axis unit just simply by spawning in.

Want to wreck balance, there ya go, you wrecked it.

Next allied tank that actually belongs in the game are the M3 lee and grant, and then the tiers readjusted so it sits in there properly
Has same gun as the sherman plus has a 37mm.
Axis have less tank types, their next tank would probably be the panther, but they have a lot of TD's that fit in the various tiers
panzerjager jagdpanzer maurder fit nicely in the current tiers.

We jump to pershings then we have to jump to tiger II's and Jagdtigers, and then we really got gaps of missing things.

3.7” HAA is the closest the allies had to the 88.. The allies preferred to use it in the AA role but it was capable in the AT role and was used in the AT role.

GrAnit
6 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Can we load DOC v2.0?
Puhleeeze?

LOL!  You took the thought right out of my head!  LMAO!

Edited by GrAnit

lipton
7 hours ago, XOOM said:

I look forward to the killing field. The large numbers signing up will be great. But we will need them to stick around, and there is where the problem will be I'm afraid. 

We've had moments of population surge in the past. Granted, this 'surge' will put those to shame, but if it's only a surge and not sustainable... 

CRS will need to take advantage of the increased revenue immediately. I'm talking within months, or the window of opportunity will be missed. The negative reviews will be out there and they will be difficult to overcome.

I'm not a surfer, but in surfer terms... CRS has chosen their wave. Now they need to paddle hard into the wave creating momentum and speed that can be used to to set up the first move of the ride.  

• Like 2