Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

tsetse

Steam release (yikers)

tsetse
59 minutes ago, lipton said:

But I still enjoy reading your constant exaggerated descriptions. Plz continue

To bad the allies didn't understand the hidden potential of these planes, war would have been over in 2 weeks time. How about get rid of the bomb bay, and load up on guns, and ammo.

1 hour ago, cabby said:

What you get out of something is proportional to what you put into it.

68 years old, and you believe that? How about a bad marriage? How about an old car, bluebook is $2,000, you got a good deal at $1,500. Well, a week after you have it, the tranny goes out, costs you another $1,100. Now your at $2,600, not as good of a deal. When the master brake cylinder goes a month later... Using the logic you took off the cover of your church bulletin eventually that Pinto will turn into a Porche. The more accurate saying here would be "Don't throw good money, at bad money".

How about this: "With age come wisdom", would a wise person blindly accept what they are told as truth?  Or would they order a delicious burger, have a salad placed in front of them, and say oh well, they could use the fiber, and pay anyway?

Go down to the senior center, get some free day old bread, and feed the pigeons. They may crap on you, but you know, when life gives you lemons...

lipton
20 minutes ago, tsetse said:

To bad the allies didn't understand the hidden potential of these planes, war would have been over in 2 weeks time. How about get rid of the bomb bay, and load up on guns, and ammo.

Not a bad idea, 'cause the bombs suck donkey balls.  Gimme a 75mm in the nose and I'd be a happy camper. 

989b1211768cc40d0dd8cdf991f41a1d.jpg

Edited by lipton
  • Like 1

stankyus
On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:13 PM, calyx6 said:

Im sorry but all of that was just marketing guff. The game is not continuing forwards and hasn't done for a very long time.

The user interface is your most significant challenge? Im doubting your abilities in your role even more.

The game is not personal or niche, it is part of one of the largest genres of game available.

Please provide evidence for your "hundreds of thousands" of interested players.

If you had a dollar? You get far more than that from the people who are repeatedly telling you this. Maybe you should listen?

GTFO! seriously you have NO idea what your talking about.

This game has gone further in the past year than it did in the past 6 combined. New content... Americans.. stare you in the face. New weapons and a absolutely one of the best audits on weapons in any game out there by Scotsman.

This game has ALWAYS been a niche game - the largest genres out there all fall into shoebox shooters.. You cannot pack this game into a shoebox. Please.

MB you should listen, sounds like you just like hearing yourself blather.  Xoom and I have not always seen eye to eye and I have personally voiced my opinions with him. You know what, HE FKN called me personally on the phone to discuss. A personal phone call from this guy, a RAT, you call not listening. All this guy does is listen and engage, his lively hood relies on it.  I'm not gonna be as kid gloves as Xoom.. but you are talking out your a$$. Don't like it -----> that's the way to the door and don't let it hit you in your [censored] on the way out.

• Like 4

XOOM
46 minutes ago, lipton said:

Sweet momma, that is HAWT!

• Like 1

odolf
On 8/30/2017 at 10:39 PM, tsetse said:

I raced back to this game in a hurry, to see how things were now, as I have always loved this game. Well, not really a lot has changed (not even players, wth people have played the same game over decade straight lol)

Anyways, I like to think of myself as realistic, others would say cynical. That being said, I really don't think this game will be accepted well with the Steam community. This game has a window of peak fun. It starts after you get a general idea of how things work, and lessens when you have a much broader understanding of how things work. 

My kids are pretty young still, but when they buy, with their own money, a game on Steam, and it turns out to be a bad fit for them, or just sucks, I get a refund from Steam.  So your not really stuck with a game when bought on Steam... Not even obligated to give it a good try. I am 45 if I asked just about anyone my age if they have Steam, they have no idea what I am talking about. So it will be the young, played a lot of games already, very impatient, expecting to go in and kill mad people with uber weapons crowd we will get.

If they don't quit within the first couple hours, after getting spawn camped by an ET, or run around for 45 minutes looking for a fight, thinking they could just run from town. Or a little later, when they got passed the confusion and spawn camps, and grab a tank, only to fire 10 rounds into an ET only to have it slowly turn it's barrel at you, fire one round, and burn entire crew.

I really hope it goes great. I would love to see this game full of people again. In my cynical opinion though, sadly it is not realistic.

45 year olds know what steam is, I am one of them.

I think you are wrong about this games reception

lipton

I'm 55 and have been a Steam member since it's inception by Valve. Don't log onto it much any more, but I damn well know what it is lol. 

• Like 1

Merlin51
2 hours ago, tsetse said:

Using the logic you took off the cover of your church bulletin eventually that Pinto will turn into a Porche.

No, it turns into this, and then it bends you over and spanks you with a wire brush
0c779516c7517e9432dd2238a9656f22.jpg24a21ab5ccd28d5150d6aedc931ddd4b--ford-p

stankyus
2 hours ago, lipton said:

Not a bad idea, 'cause the bombs suck donkey balls.  Gimme a 75mm in the nose and I'd be a happy camper. 

Unfortunately this version was only in the PTO and only carried HE officially... officially. However my bosses dad flew them in the PTO and they had used AP unofficially out of them IIRC it complete screwed up the gun.. cant remember have to ask again. BTW the pilots did not like them and preferred the .50s in the nose.

HATCH
On 9/1/2017 at 11:36 AM, jester said:

Keep in mind - relying on your existing playerbase to do the majority of technical game training to a majority of new players is not going to work. It has not worked for the past decade or so, it will not just start working now. To think otherwise is foolish. Surely some players will be of assistance, but many of them do not have much time on their hands to play the game and would much rather spend that time playing instead of working, so to speak, even if there's a common shared goal here. Do not make the mistake of the last team and use that shared common goal as some sort of justification for putting this workload on your customers. 

What you need to do is utilize your volunteers. You have a slew of people running around with CRS caps in their handle with various community titles, assign them scheduled training nights on the training server and broadcast this to the new people. (Also thank you to whoever fixed Area 51!) Something like every Wednesday night 8PM-10PM on the training server, etc. A scheduled, dedicated training regimen is going to be your best bet.

Also, incentivize your talent pool of players who would be good candidates for this role. These people are your trainers who can be found using the .tr command, and other players in the community who are very knowledgeable and have a lot of time on their hands, such as @merlin51, @OldZeke and @delems. I'd argue official CRS member hosted training events will be more effective, but there's a lot players like these can do for you as well. 

I want this to work just as much as the next guy, and from what I see here and on Steam, you have two major obstacles to success. First is the subscription model, personally to me not a huge deal, and in itself an entirely different discussion. Second, and more importantly, is the retention plan, culminating itself wholly in the form of familiarity with the game which is best employed through the methods listed above. 

EDIT: @zippycame to me with an excellent idea for training air players as well. I'd reach out to him too. 

This is one of the best suggestions I have seen lately. Talking from experience in teaching advanced ACM as a volunteer in the WarBirds training program, it WAS a very successful program. Warbirds was considered to have a steep learning curve in its day, and it was only a flight sim. Our learning curve is on steroids compared to that!  The WB training program started off only a couple of nights a week with two of us a night, but it was in demand and successful enough to end up running every night a week except for Sundays I think. (Been a looooong time ago). I can remember having up to 10 students a night between the 2 or 3 of us, and some "students" even going on multiple training nights during the week to get specialized training from the guys on board those nights, notorious for their style of combat tactics in the game. Like me for stall fighting, Fletchman for Boom&Zoom, etc... Was all volunteer run and a great retention tool. I'd be happy to step up myself to kick something like this off for WWIIOL if there was someone else that could take my place in production. It was a fun job and great community builder.

What about you Jester? Zippy? Merlin51? Delems? (if not already busy volunteering for something else) Interested in helping to get something like this started?

• Like 1

Merlin51
5 minutes ago, HATCH said:

if there was someone else that could take my place in production.

Ok, i will volunteer, is there still a pillow in the hallway?

HATCH
17 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

Ok, i will volunteer, is there still a pillow in the hallway?

Back when we started that program, I think Snak was the volunteer that mainly managed us for Pyro. Was soooooo long ago, its hard to remember for sure. But I can still remember a lot of the trainers from then, RobinHood, Boa, Hardcase, Worr, Fletchman... Krod and Boa volunteered and helped me build a bonafide training web academy (I was good at flyin and teaching, not so much with html and visual media lol! And we could only dream of the tools available to day like zoom and discord... If there are some folks interested in volunteering a couple of hours a night, fer fun with the newbs, I'll see if we can get the CM team and whatever resources they can muster behind it.

Merlin51
Just now, HATCH said:

Back when we started that program, I think Snak was the volunteer that mainly managed us for Pyro. Was soooooo long ago, its hard to remember for sure. But I can still remember a lot of the trainers from then, RobinHood, Boa, Hardcase, Worr, Fletchman... Krod and Boa volunteered and helped me build a bonafide training web academy ( was good at flyin and teaching, not so much with html and visual media lol! And we could only dream of the tools available to day like zoom and discord... If there are some folks interested in volunteering a couple of hours a night, fer fun with the newbs, I'll see if we can get the CM team and whatever resources they can muster behind it.

You tried to teach me, it's a wonder you kept your hair.

Peel the wings right off a zero i could, problem is i was flying said zero

HATCH
1 minute ago, merlin51 said:

You tried to teach me, it's a wonder you kept your hair.

Peel the wings right off a zero i could, problem is i was flying said zero

Lol!

jester
37 minutes ago, HATCH said:

This is one of the best suggestions I have seen lately. Talking from experience in teaching advanced ACM as a volunteer in the WarBirds training program, it WAS a very successful program. Warbirds was considered to have a steep learning curve in its day, and it was only a flight sim. Our learning curve is on steroids compared to that!  The WB training program started off only a couple of nights a week with two of us a night, but it was in demand and successful enough to end up running every night a week except for Sundays I think. (Been a looooong time ago). I can remember having up to 10 students a night between the 2 or 3 of us, and some "students" even going on multiple training nights during the week to get specialized training from the guys on board those nights, notorious for their style of combat tactics in the game. Like me for stall fighting, Fletchman for Boom&Zoom, etc... Was all volunteer run and a great retention tool. I'd be happy to step up myself to kick something like this off for WWIIOL if there was someone else that could take my place in production. It was a fun job and great community builder.

What about you Jester? Zippy? Merlin51? Delems? (if not already busy volunteering for something else) Interested in helping to get something like this started?

I don't see myself as being a reliable resource. Now after summer is over (Labor Day is end of summer for us Philly people), I have a ton of stuff to do. On top of that, I'm pretty sure my comp just kicked the bucket - again - and am really not budgeted for fixing that POS again anytime soon. 

However, I know for certain Zippy has a great idea for the air players, involving posting to a WWIIOL blog with scheduled video releases about the basics of flying. He posts in the forums under his other account @lightning, so I'd bet he's down to sign up. 

HATCH
4 minutes ago, jester said:

I don't see myself as being a reliable resource. Now after summer is over (Labor Day is end of summer for us Philly people), I have a ton of stuff to do. On top of that, I'm pretty sure my comp just kicked the bucket - again - and am really not budgeted for fixing that POS again anytime soon. 

However, I know for certain Zippy has a great idea for the air players, involving posting to a WWIIOL blog with scheduled video releases about the basics of flying. He posts in the forums under his other account @lightning, so I'd bet he's down to sign up. 

Well, thanks for considering, and good idea just the same. I had forgotten about how well that program worked for us back then until you jarred my memory. So thanks for that. S! Hope you get off easy with the computer!

Yes, I saw what he started. Very pretty. I meant to drop him a line and say something but been a little hectic around here as you can imagine...

OLDZEKE

@jester Appreciate the mention but these days I'm pretty busy. Old and grouchy too ;)

• Like 1

Merlin51
1 hour ago, HATCH said:

I was referring to taking your spot in dev, for you to go run the mentor program.
My ingame availability is unfortunately very limited, as you can tell from my sorties.

I can help when and where i am available, but i've no way to adhere to any kind of reliable schedule.
These days i spend 80 90 hours a week in work (lots of it in sheer boredom at times) and see my house little.
Only so much i can do via web based participation.

edit
Now if you wanted to hire me as a remote terrain editor ;)

Edited by merlin51

HATCH
1 hour ago, OldZeke said:

@jester Appreciate the mention but these days I'm pretty busy. Old and grouchy too ;)

Lol! I didnt call you out because I KNOW how busy you are! Thanks for all you do man! S!

HATCH
1 hour ago, merlin51 said:

I was referring to taking your spot in dev, for you to go run the mentor program.
My ingame availability is unfortunately very limited, as you can tell from my sorties.

I can help when and where i am available, but i've no way to adhere to any kind of reliable schedule.
These days i spend 80 90 hours a week in work (lots of it in sheer boredom at times) and see my house little.
Only so much i can do via web based participation.

edit
Now if you wanted to hire me as a remote terrain editor ;)

I'd like to have a dedicated terrain builder. But no extra funds for a contract like that at the moment. We'll see where we are down the road a piece and possibly revisit that offer. :-)

vasduten1
8 hours ago, lipton said:

Speaking from personal experience... when I'm flying a DB or Havoc, I receive AND FEEL the damage to flight controls every time I get hit by a 40mm or take damage from the bombs I drop. EVERY SINGLE TIME. 

But I still enjoy reading your constant exaggerated descriptions. Plz continue.  :popcorn:

I said 20MM.

Not 40MM.

I don't see how you can sit here and type responses like this when you KNOW the DB7 and Havoc DM is just not right and far too forgiving both in flight and lack of stress/maneuverability and in what it takes to disable even part of them.

You have to hit them on TOP of the engines, or where the engine meets the wingtip area to even have effect. I've read first hand accounts from actual WWII German pilots saying that even with flying fortresses, a couple of 20MM rounds into the fuselage would set them on fire and end their sortie fast.

Related question:

Why do HE rounds poof off of everything, anyway? Why does the damage they inflict stay on ONE side of a wall, wing, vehicle spawn tent pole, etc.? I guess the answer to that will be moot once the HE fix comes in.

Can't wait to tear Lipton up in an E4.

:)

vasduten1
3 hours ago, HATCH said:

It's an awesome idea, but we NEED you to keep up those audits hahaha

So much needs to be straightened out. 

You guys are all doing a bang-up job.

If I had the time and skill, I'd teach ground, air or sea classes.

School just started for me, and I have a couple dozen clocks waiting for me to fix on my bench.

I need to make a clone!

Merlin51
15 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

You have to hit them on TOP of the engines, or where the engine meets the wingtip area to even have effect. I've read first hand accounts from actual WWII German pilots saying that even with flying fortresses, a couple of 20MM rounds into the fuselage would set them on fire and end their sortie fast.

2 things
1) HE rounds are not currently performing to par in several ways
Like you just said, have to hit a hard part, like engine to get almost guaranteed effect
20mm suffers the worse in some cases (not all) because it has the least going for it, very small very light thin walled round, with not a lot of KE to offer up as damage.

2) Selective memories, even fading depending on when they recorded it
Not saying B17's were impervious to 20mm or anything, but B17's returned to base some times looking absolutely like a flying fatality.
Missing major pieces of plane, shredded by 88mm flak and you could have picked up the crew with a soda straw, yet it flew home.
HE111's too for that matter.
The sorties did not end quite that easily nor quite that fast on any guaranteed basis

vasduten1
11 hours ago, merlin51 said:

2 things
1) HE rounds are not currently performing to par in several ways
Like you just said, have to hit a hard part, like engine to get almost guaranteed effect
20mm suffers the worse in some cases (not all) because it has the least going for it, very small very light thin walled round, with not a lot of KE to offer up as damage.

2) Selective memories, even fading depending on when they recorded it
Not saying B17's were impervious to 20mm or anything, but B17's returned to base some times looking absolutely like a flying fatality.
Missing major pieces of plane, shredded by 88mm flak and you could have picked up the crew with a soda straw, yet it flew home.
HE111's too for that matter.
The sorties did not end quite that easily nor quite that fast on any guaranteed basis

On point one, that's what I said.

On two...

Heinze Knocke didn't get 33 aerial victories by having selective memory later in life. They didn't hand out awards to guys who said they *might* have damaged enemy planes. He took them out. He even experimented with timed fuse bombs by dropping them into formations of bombers from above.

He used non guided rockets at some point as well.

The guy knew what cannon rounds did to EA. 

Here's a shot of what a 30MM does to a spit's wing, and tell me that a 20MM shouldn't do close to the same damage, thinner walls and all: 

major0noob

it's frigen lipton and merlin. one thinks we talk about literal matties vs tigers and the other has to be at least 90% right all the time.

you won't get anywhere using logic with them...

• Like 1

lipton
13 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

I said 20MM.

Not 40MM.

22 hours ago, vasduten1 said:

Others chimed in that there were flight surfaces added to the bombers for stability, and well... when you watch 40MM HE rounds poof off of DB7s and Havocs and they fly on as if they never were hit at all... well, I guess I sot of ran with it thinking it was common knowledge. 

Can't wait to see how things change. It's really goofy when a pair of Havocs is swooping in, dropping bombs at under 400M and flying away, then swooping back in over and over, never receiving damage from the bombs or from the AA on the ground trying to kill them, without any ill effects from stunt plane maneuvers those planes NEVER could perform IRL.

Edited by lipton
  • Like 1