delems

Why lower RDP timers so much?

28 posts in this topic

Why?  Supply was finally starting to matter - attrition was finally starting to happen.  Now back to unlimited JWBS but worse, as we have 15 min backline timers.

Did they really?  Wow... just wow

Back to insta armies again.  World of Tigers... I mean World of Tanks part deux

Edited by lipton

You do realize its more important at this time to retain these new players rather than move the map?

You think noobs will stay around with nothing to spawn?

Get out of the depot, kill some stuff and 

aid7954805-v4-728px-Stay-Calm-Around-Dif

2 people like this

25 minutes ago, Pittpete said:

You do realize its more important at this time to retain these new players rather than move the map?

You think noobs will stay around with nothing to spawn?

Get out of the depot, kill some stuff and 

aid7954805-v4-728px-Stay-Calm-Around-Dif

Ignore him, he thinks everyone wants to run around with a rifle and nothing else to spawn.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, delems said:

Why?  Supply was finally starting to matter - attrition was finally starting to happen.  Now back to unlimited JWBS but worse, as we have 15 min backline timers.

I would be sold bold as to hazard a guess that it may be because the spawn lists are looking decimated across the board, which is good...
...but you cant have it so decimated that each side is taking turns with the same rifleman.

The new people will of course die a lot, they are new.
How many times did you die your first day?

400 new people online takes a abnormal toll on equipment.

You have to do something in the short term to compensate.
Or we can all sit around in chat contemplating on what we might spawn, as soon as the factories build some new stuff?
Dont think that idea is good for retention?

1 person likes this

Just to give perspective of HOW many are joining at the moment, and a practical problem that occures with these numbers, and probably why we need 15min timers to get "insta armies":

Squad Recruit1: -"What's the plan?"

Vet1: -"We are attacking S:t Truiden"

Vet2 starts explaining how to get there, and which mission.

Two other recruits are autojoined at last AO squad was working on (autorecruit on, and often people click that pop-up because they do not see action)

Recruit 3: -"Hi all, you guys know how to deploy an ATG?"

Vet2: -"... and then you highlight the squad player named..."

Recruit 2: -"Can't find the mission!"

Vet1: -"Don't worry recruit2, just listen to Vet2.. he will explain again"

Recruit1: -"So what are we attacking? Should I cross this bridge?"

At this point some 2-3 minutes have passed, and the AO:e town that squad is attacking already has two friendly spawnables up. Myself have created the squad mission which above try to spawn into, it is one of those spawnables, and the few recruits getting there are joyful, they love it. But still lot of the instructions given on Discord is still on how to get there, or what to do WHEN they spawn in.

That spawnable depot was out of supply in 8min, and that was from a town with 2 or 3 full flags in.

At least the recruits accepted squad leaving the attack after 15min, but much to the fact that we all vets constantly on radio said: "Target is X, because supply is out in about 5min". (Many recruits wanted to stay longer to attack other depots , but I tried to explain that other squads are already doing that, even if I had no clue. This was a big massive attack that just started with a 50player para drop. Just focusing one(my) squad on one depot was hard enough)

2 hours ago, wockawocka said:

Just to give perspective of HOW many are joining at the moment

Or, to put it another way.
My squad was mostly just me and who ever wanted to join it for a bit to learn the game and try both sides without hassle and go off to join a real squad.
Since friday there are now 2 and a half pages of people in it

Shame CSR does not appear to currently be logging squads properly, i wanna see what the lil greenies are accomplishing

3 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Or, to put it another way.
My squad was mostly just me and who ever wanted to join it for a bit to learn the game and try both sides without hassle and go off to join a real squad.
Since friday there are now 2 and a half pages of people in it

Shame CSR does not appear to currently be logging squads properly, i wanna see what the lil greenies are accomplishing

I actually had to turn off my squads recruiting flag for a bit - to catch up with all the new players, had 45 on at one point.  

What sort of 'logging squads properly' would you like to see?  The squadtools (https://squadtools.wwiionline.com) page does have a bit of stuff, we're always looking forward to adding more info that players may be interested in.  

Changing the RDP timers is the simplest way for CRS to adjust to waxing and waning in the server population.  It means they don't have to rebalance the entire spawn lists.  

I would have thought going to 9 hours first would have made sense, instead of dropping to 8.

But, they can see the big picture, I can't, hope they are right.

As for temporarily changing the the supply, yes, if you have any faith they'll remember to reduce it later... I don't; once it's changed, it won't go back.

2 minutes ago, delems said:

I would have thought going to 9 hours first would have made sense, instead of dropping to 8.

But, they can see the big picture, I can't, hope they are right.

As for temporarily changing the the supply, yes, if you have any faith they'll remember to reduce it later... I don't; once it's changed, it won't go back.

it's called bracketing - there's a target goal that's aimed for.  The first shot (10 hours) was observed, the results looked at, and a second shot fired (8 hours).  These results will be observed - and it's entirely possible that the timer goes up to 9 (or if in game #'s keep going up as teh rest of the globe joins on steam down further).

And given how often the timers have been adjusted in the past, where would you get the idea that it wouldn't revert back or change again?

k, and I see nothing wrong with half the army flags low in supply, as long as the other half have supply.

It's good to have attrition in game.

As for my faith, well... trucks were increased, then never reduced, rifles were increased (a while ago), then never reduced - Think last WBS.  Just to give 2 examples,

7 minutes ago, delems said:

k, and I see nothing wrong with half the army flags low in supply, as long as the other half have supply.

It's good to have attrition in game.

yes but it was not half
HC was having a hard time trying to find any units to move in (and everyone already hates warping brigades) that had any supply to use at all.
When your BDE has no riflemen left, you know its in sad shape

Remember we Still need to release Steam to Europe and the rest of the world.... that a lot more to come 

2 people like this

22 minutes ago, OHM said:

Remember we Still need to release Steam to Europe and the rest of the world.... that a lot more to come 

Unlimited knives in spawn pools!

CRS should not mess with supply numbers.... It's stupid. We have enough brgs with supply to move all over the map. 

38 minutes ago, shortbus said:

CRS should not mess with supply numbers.... It's stupid. We have enough brgs with supply to move all over the map. 

when the para units are at 50% total strength, and most army units are at or below 30% - time to bump the numbers a bit.  We now have a significantly larger playerbase, number adjustments are a requirement to keep the gameplay going.  Or would you prefer to only be able to spawn a few bolt action rifles at a time as their timers are up?  How long would you stay logged in?

2 people like this

*** when the para units are at 50% total strength, and most army units are at or below 30% 

Well, tbh, hard to trust that.

But, IF true, if really every para unit (all 6 flags) were at an average of 50% depleted, and more than half the 18 infantry flags were at 30% or less, then I'll agree a SMALL bump is prolly required.

However, personally, I believe there were still full para flags just not moved yet and many army flags at full strength in other parts of the map, but that is just me, I'm doubtful.  Hope your analysis was right.

Can't stand the unlimited supply aspect of this game and 15 min warping JWBS system.

Hopefully this is a reality check on how bad the flag system is. If the system is so good then why do you need to shovel more supplies in to brigades?

If you had town supply then there would always be something for your players to spawn somewhere. Supplies gets depleted, the town gets capped and the playerbase drives/rides to the next town instead of softcaps. It would be even better if you made it easier to start fights, that way maintaining supply in the current fight wouldn’t be so critical and you could have some battle flow.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:50 PM, david01 said:

Hopefully this is a reality check on how bad the flag system is. If the system is so good then why do you need to shovel more supplies in to brigades?

If you had town supply then there would always be something for your players to spawn somewhere. Supplies gets depleted, the town gets capped and the playerbase drives/rides to the next town instead of softcaps. It would be even better if you made it easier to start fights, that way maintaining supply in the current fight wouldn’t be so critical and you could have some battle flow.

Its on its way.

I'm of the opinion that resupply timers should never be lower than 12 hours, for any reason.  If the population is higher, increase the base supply the same amount or more, so there is plenty of equipment for everyone, but don't shorten resupply.  If there is 20 of x type of weapon when the brigade is at full supply, and the ingame population has increased 4x, make the full supply 80 or even 100 of that type of weapon to compensate.  The reason for that is this is a combined arms game.  There is a strategic bombing component to this game, on purpose.  Shortening resupply may be good for retaining new infantry/armor players, but it ruins part of the air game and drives away anyone who might want to fly bombers.

With higher numbers, when units are at full supply, the ground game is taken care of and the RDP game still has the chance to make a difference.

-Irish

1 person likes this

33 minutes ago, odonovan1 said:

If the population is higher, increase the base supply the same amount or more, so there is plenty of equipment for everyone, but don't shorten resupply.

Best idea here.
Your army grew, you didnt sprout more factories.
Redo TOE where it works on a sliding value based on total online population with a fixed minimum value.

You want attrition, but you dont really want it simply because there were so many people trying to spawn it.

EDIT
I also dont think the T0 units should have such low numbers some units only exist in numbers of 1 or 2
Maybe assign each division a reserve brigade and dump the older equipment into those or something?

Edited by merlin51

10 hours ago, odonovan1 said:

I'm of the opinion that resupply timers should never be lower than 12 hours, for any reason.  If the population is higher, increase the base supply the same amount or more, so there is plenty of equipment for everyone, but don't shorten resupply.  If there is 20 of x type of weapon when the brigade is at full supply, and the ingame population has increased 4x, make the full supply 80 or even 100 of that type of weapon to compensate.  The reason for that is this is a combined arms game.  There is a strategic bombing component to this game, on purpose.  Shortening resupply may be good for retaining new infantry/armor players, but it ruins part of the air game and drives away anyone who might want to fly bombers.

With higher numbers, when units are at full supply, the ground game is taken care of and the RDP game still has the chance to make a difference.

-Irish

As a bomber, I'd prefer the factory rebuild timers (time it takes a factory to rebuild from 100% to 0% damage) to be slowed from 24 to 48 hours.  Then the 'resupply timers' (time it takes a destroyed piece of equipment to return to supply) can be adjusted anywhere as needed and still allow for the factory bombing to keep a lingering effect (enticing continued bombing) separate from resupply timers.  

Right now, if one side's factories get to 100% damaged, they are all back to 50% in under 12 hours...and back to 0% within 24 hours.  Lets double that, so a 100% destroyed factory auto-repairs back to 50% in 24 hours, and back to 0% in 48 hours.  And bring the Air War back.

Edited by forrest
split into two paragraphs to save eyeballs
3 people like this

9 hours ago, forrest said:

As a bomber, I'd prefer the factory rebuild timers (time it takes a factory to rebuild from 100% to 0% damage) to be slowed from 24 to 48 hours.  Then the 'resupply timers' (time it takes a destroyed piece of equipment to return to supply) can be adjusted anywhere as needed and still allow for the factory bombing to keep a lingering effect (enticing continued bombing) separate from resupply timers.  

Right now, if one side's factories get to 100% damaged, they are all back to 50% in under 12 hours...and back to 0% within 24 hours.  Lets double that, so a 100% destroyed factory auto-repairs back to 50% in 24 hours, and back to 0% in 48 hours.  And bring the Air War back.

/signed

-Irish

10 hours ago, forrest said:

Amen buddy!