david01

World War 2 Online's Steam Reception

65 posts in this topic

I am quite familiar with my kids ages 8 thru 13 playing Minecraft and Roblox. I had my 13 y/o try WWII Online about 6 months ago and he died a LOT but did finally get some kills. He said the game was too hard and not enough action for him. While there is a lot more action now I think he would get eaten up as a rifleman right now. I've had to get a lot more cautious because there are a lot more guns pointing at you now.  

3 hours ago, odin67 said:

I am quite familiar with my kids ages 8 thru 13 playing Minecraft and Roblox. I had my 13 y/o try WWII Online about 6 months ago and he died a LOT but did finally get some kills. He said the game was too hard and not enough action for him. While there is a lot more action now I think he would get eaten up as a rifleman right now. I've had to get a lot more cautious because there are a lot more guns pointing at you now.  

We all got shot as a new player....A LOT!!............but thats what makes you want to get better.  With more guns out there now........yes you have to be more aware as they are literely all over the place now.

I just bought a brand new Saitek X52Pro and can't get the damn thing to keymap a damn thing with tanks.  It won't steer, aim, let me use mouse to aim and stick to steer, etc. etc.   WTF is wrong with this game?  Can't use this joystick???

8 minutes ago, mcafeed said:

I just bought a brand new Saitek X52Pro and can't get the damn thing to keymap a damn thing with tanks.  It won't steer, aim, let me use mouse to aim and stick to steer, etc. etc.   WTF is wrong with this game?  Can't use this joystick???

Try this from OldZeke's thread, go to :

Control panel

Devices and printers

Right click on joy stick icon

Select game controller settings

should see a popup with "use with older programs" or "set as preferred device"

Select your stick in the box

click ok or accept or whatever the option is.

Game should now see your stick

Or does it see the JS but not map right?

If so, Could try reseting keymapper to defaults then detect controller again.

assuming you are on a Windows Machine (?)

1 hour ago, mcafeed said:

Much thanks for the quick reply ELFIN!!  I'll definitely give it a go S!

I don't know if will help. But I get frustrated myself when things don't work and appreciate  anyone offering suggestions to try...even when not too sure it things will work. I know I still have some .cfml file "bugs" for my keyboard that I can't seem to get worked out. Oh well. Good luck in any case

We are going from 5 required tutorials, down to 3.

• Movement
  • Rifleman
  • Chat

We have also listened to the feedback coming in and are removing a couple of the steps that we agree, are a bit un-necessary.

The resolution issues came as a surprise and are being worked on.

Some other localization type stuff allowing for ASCII characters is also being worked on.

We are listening and making adjustments just as we said we would all along. We will not however be adjusting our pricing model. Free Players need to know that they do have access to premium right now and for their first 30 days on Steam. That is very intentional to get them to bite and stick.

For some of these guys spamming the spacebar to continue through their tutorial... it's something that we'll help by removing some of the steps, and dropping 2 out of the 5 tutorials. Otherwise, we think these particular tutorials are vastly important that they should be able to complete them rather speedily if they just calm down off the space bar a little bit. HUD and Map navigation are the two that won't be required as a mandatory training cycle anymore, very shortly.

4 people like this

24 minutes ago, XOOM said:

• Movement
  • Rifleman
  • Chat

We have also listened to the feedback coming in and are removing a couple of the steps that we agree, are a bit un-necessary.

The resolution issues came as a surprise and are being worked on.

Some other localization type stuff allowing for ASCII characters is also being worked on.

We are listening and making adjustments just as we said we would all along. We will not however be adjusting our pricing model. Free Players need to know that they do have access to premium right now and for their first 30 days on Steam. That is very intentional to get them to bite and stick.

For some of these guys spamming the spacebar to continue through their tutorial... it's something that we'll help by removing some of the steps, and dropping 2 out of the 5 tutorials. Otherwise, we think these particular tutorials are vastly important that they should be able to complete them rather speedily if they just calm down off the space bar a little bit. HUD and Map navigation are the two that won't be required as a mandatory training cycle anymore, very shortly.

Good moves! S!

1 person likes this

Gj Xoom! 

Should help with some of the frustrations that the new players have had with that section of the tutorial.

1 person likes this

A dream?  Against all odds, we have lived this dream for nearly two decades.  And we live it still.  If Steam can bring in 100 new diehards, thats 100 more than we had before.  And it helps this dream stay alive for a little bit longer.  

Frankly, I don't know what I'll do the day this game/community go offline for good.  You guys mean the world to me.  When the server shuts down its last, will it feel like my favorite dog just died?  Will it feel like a lost loved one?  I really don't know.  I only know, that on that day, my life will have less in it.

Then, all that is left of this dream will be lived for the remainder of my life...in fond remembered story of these very days.

Long live WW2OL.     

3 people like this

9 hours ago, XOOM said:

• Movement
  • Rifleman
  • Chat

Most people can figure out movement and how to use a rifle on their own. It's pretty universal. 

Only important tutorial should be on how to find the fight. There still isn't a good tutorial explaining AO's and DO's and how to enter a battle. Huge mistake. Huge!

And we still have Greenbeans walking from FB's to cities. THAT needs to be part of the good tutorial on entering a battle. Finding FMS's. This is basic information for entering a fight. 

Also,... knowing where spawn points are in towns. Where people spawn. Where to attack and defend. ThIS is the basic concept of this game. Greenbeans need to understand this basic concept. 

This all  needs to be part of the basic, good tutorial on entering a battle.  How to get into a battle and what to do when you get there. The basics. 

Edited by lipton
1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, lipton said:

Most people can figure out movement and how to use a rifle on their own. It's pretty universal. 

Only important tutorial should be on how to find the fight. There still isn't a good tutorial explaining AO's and DO's and how to enter a battle. Huge mistake. Huge!

And we still have Greenbeans walking from FB's to cities. THAT needs to be part of the good tutorial on entering a battle. Finding FMS's. This is basic information for entering a fight. 

Also,... knowing where spawn points are in towns. Where people spawn. Where to attack and defend. ThIS is the basic concept of this game. Greenbeans need to understand this basic concept. 

This all  needs to be part of the basic, good tutorial on entering a battle.  How to get into a battle and what to do when you get there. The basics. 

Agree with this.

1 person likes this

What is the FEEDBACK method now?

Post in Steam?  ".<something>"?  

Get the new young players commenting on what they have trouble with.

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:51 AM, erasmo said:

Interesting thread, good thougths from everybody.

I have no time atm for writting a wall of text, so my bullet points would be:

1) The day this game becomes P2W or go into the microtransactions model, with impact in the equiptment, so players cannot be potencially equally competitive, I quit inmediatly. Inmediatly. Same would happen with my whole squad and with the vast majority of the folks I know here. I don't believe at all in this as a solution, and I think I am not alone in this.

2) We all have memories from the past. Very well. Most of the things people remember are still posible to see ingame NOWADAYS. I still live moments like in the past at times. But probably you won't watch them if you just log in 30min from time to time.

3) If we could catch 10% of the Steam guys who will try the game during the next months, would be a success. That would be hundreds of new players. Then focus would be make them new suscribers. In my opinion, new Steam prices would never be further than 7,99$ or so, for a total access. Only we the vets will keep paying 17 or 30 bucks/m. I honestly don't see a new suscriber dropping that for WWIIOL. But I don't know if CRS can afford lowering the prices or what is the Steam role about this, I guess they want their share too...

4) I created a F2P from Steam and went through the tutorial for trying to help the new guys. It's a pain in the *ss. But in the other hand I understand that a minimal guide is needed. Maybe it can be more brief and simple (get rid of the HUD part, it is not needed actually; eliminate the armor part etc.). Maybe tutorial could be designed as optional tips showing up directly ingame in campaign server, in small screens or tabs, depending on what unit you spawn in. I don't know. But the main matter here is: if CRS can know the % of players who don't even pass the tutorial and get in the real game and it is higher than 25%-30%, maybe the tutorial would have to go optional and not mandatory.

5) There's once a dream that was WWIIOL.  Well, still is. For most of us here it always sounded like the eternal promise... But there isn't ANYTHING like this out there. So we still have to believe in it. I respect those who decided to abandon the ship, they have their reasons. But that bring us to nowhere. I think the new team is doing a vast and great job. I am not always fully aligned with their concepts and decisions, but I have to respect how hard they are trying... So if they are on it, I cannot give up now.

S!

Just FYI, Steam has 125 million active users. If we captured 10%  WWIIOL is toast. There would be NO quick solution to handle the influx. 1% increase in active steam users would have fatal results. Prior to steam a hi pop heavy day we MIGHT have had 3-400 ppl on the map.  I have been out of the game for a week now because out of town but the last time I played we had 4 AOs and the allied side had between 40 and 60  at three AOs with one with mb 80 with balanced sides. I extrapolate the population to have been around 500 or so off hand. No real numbers but it would be a pretty educated guess give or take 50. From what I also hear we are starting to get 5 AOs. IF we could keep what we have and mb double the numbers of active players ingame to 2k total we are close to the heaviest of days from days past. 3k players on the map would change the face of the game without anything added by the RATs.  Put this into perspective IF we captured .005% of steam - not active players on the map but just players who down load and play from time to time, we would be adding 625k new players to the game.  I'm no expert but if 10% of those players played at the same time - we would need 6 ww2ol independent game servers to handle the numbers.

So what is the target number we are marketing too? Fractions of a percent in reality would be a fantastic result where a 1% could be catastrophic.

1 person likes this

A great many Steam players play some DOTA2 on their old laptop or some other kind of casual fun, and wouldn't be interested too much in this game. What's noteworthy is that:

ArmA 3 has about 26k Steam players online right now

War thunder has 13.6k players

World of tanks has 10.8k players

H&G has 5k players

1% of those game populations moving here would be several hundred online and 10% of those players would either break the game servers or the game mechanics. Some of the top-10 Steam games that have far more players are still FPS games. So even cutting out the vast majority of registered Steam users there are a lot of players playing roughly similar games but not playing ww2online despite it being free.

Also significant is that Hearts of Iron 4 has 11.3k players online, so whatever grand strategy elements this game has it isn't pulling at all from a relatively large demographic of players that like WW2-themed grand strategy.

Edited by david01

3 hours ago, lipton said:

We undoubtedly need to do a better job at directing players on how to get into the fight. I've already been thinking about this. For now I wanted to provide some commentary on things coming quickly to help alleviate a difficult situation for those Steam users.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, lipton said:

I have to semi disagree
A lot of people are space bar spamming through the tutorials where they can, and then asking a large amount of the basic questions
in the game after thay have spawned and dont want to die.

Not b1tching, i dont mind answering and helping them, though which key does ABC is not my strong suit as i probably do not have 1 single default keymap, and if you saw my cfml files you'd probably think i was designing the control panel for a nuclear submarine, but i can help them learn how to look it up in the keymapper really fast.

Yea i know, hey its an FPS, some things should be universal and some things are
but our game is different and has some functions that are normally arcadified unless you are playing ghost recon, and some things we use non standard keys
Like enter exit vehicle, most games use E for enter/exit i think. We use J for Join.

Me, i do use E because i can do so without my left hand leaving combat home.

Anyways, my point being some common things we take for granted are proving to not be quite as obvious as we assumed.

Questions i hear and answer a lot

• how do i go prone
  • how do i aim my rifle
  • how do i get my grenades
  • how to i ride on a vehicle
  • how do i reload
  • how do i get off a vehicle
  • how do i give vehicle throttle
  • how do i shift gears to find reverse
  • how do i throw the backpack (satchel)

And some of these people may not be FPS crowd.
So can not really assume anything for them. Not everyone has played doom or quake after all, some may be coming from combat RTS games

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, stankyus said:

Just FYI, Steam has 125 million active users. If we captured 10%  WWIIOL is toast. There would be NO quick solution to handle the influx. 1% increase in active steam users would have fatal results. Prior to steam a hi pop heavy day we MIGHT have had 3-400 ppl on the map.  I have been out of the game for a week now because out of town but the last time I played we had 4 AOs and the allied side had between 40 and 60  at three AOs with one with mb 80 with balanced sides. I extrapolate the population to have been around 500 or so off hand. No real numbers but it would be a pretty educated guess give or take 50. From what I also hear we are starting to get 5 AOs. IF we could keep what we have and mb double the numbers of active players ingame to 2k total we are close to the heaviest of days from days past. 3k players on the map would change the face of the game without anything added by the RATs.  Put this into perspective IF we captured .005% of steam - not active players on the map but just players who down load and play from time to time, we would be adding 625k new players to the game.  I'm no expert but if 10% of those players played at the same time - we would need 6 ww2ol independent game servers to handle the numbers.

So what is the target number we are marketing too? Fractions of a percent in reality would be a fantastic result where a 1% could be catastrophic.

Hey Stankyus, thanks for your comment.

I had no chance to go further on my considerations, but I did not say anywhere the goal were to capture 10% of the whole Steam users... I was talking about the guys who is trying it or will. I guess we agree that we will be very far from getting the 10% of platform users getting in here, which it would be 12,5 millions...

What are my expectations?

I don't think WWIIOL can have more than 10-12k new accounts per year at max. And among those ones, I have the feeling that not more than 10% of them will become a suscriber. In summary, 1000-1200 suscribers per year at max. That would be, for me, a success, giving our circumstances, the state of the game etc. etc. Maybe another % can stay as F2Ps, as esporadically players. But I don't think that will happen massively at all. If you don't like this game, you leave it. If you like it, you stay and pay for it in most of cases we know.

At the moment, if we trust in Steam numbers tracker, these calculations are being surpassed, and that is normal. During the rollout and the next weeks we will have a good amount of new accounts showing up for having a look, but that "launch" effect will not last for long. In fact, we are already seeing a slowly reduction of the peak numbers from the 5th until today, and that trend will probably keep that way. And let's don't consider this as a pesimistic comment, I think it is natural and expectable. So, with that Steam premiere effect spent sooner or later (inexistent for the following years), I think that 10-12k Steam accounts per year is a realistic scenario. Or less.

20 minutes ago, david01 said:

A great many Steam players play some DOTA2

ArmA 3

War thunder

21 minutes ago, david01 said:

World of tanks

21 minutes ago, david01 said:

H&G

None of those games are the same, only in the same way the BF1942 is the same.
DOTA2 is a little WOW fantasy RPG game.
Not that people who play it do not like other things, but would you go to the WOW playerbase shopping for people to come play FlightSimDavid?
Probably not, wrong demographic.

WT and WOT (one is a good game for what it is, the other is kind of crap imho)
Well neither are MMO, they are multiplayer games just like UT or Quake etc.
The central framework serves as a matchmaker, transaction market, player statistics publisher etc.
Which is FINE, nothing wrong with that, its like a 1 game only GameSpy kind of.
The game play itself is small to medium multiplayer, and the developer owns and hosts the match servers, funded by their micro transactions.
Be the same if Id hosted all the quake servers and ran a match making lobby, and had a weapons store to generate cash income.
They have no actual long term strategy layer. You dont win so to speak, and you don't dictate what is going on.

Again, there is NOTHING wrong with those games, but state them for what they are.

You will get some players, the ones who want a bigger game, who want their awesome tank fight outcome to have an actual meaning 3 weeks from now.
But a lot of the people playing those only want the instant matches, the quick action and then on to the next match.
Many when they die in their last unit dont even remain in spectator to see how the match comes out.
They want quick instant predictable guaranteed action.

And that is perfectly fine, and they should play what they enjoy, but we will not get them because they most likely wont enjoy, sitting for 45 minutes in the perfect ambush they set up, or that they cant repair their units and join a different match when the battle attrition has taken a toll on suppy etc, no amount of ingame or real world curreny will get you an extra sherman or tiger etc.

Some will, but most just want the small match system, guaranteed quick action, quick outcome, etc.

ArmA3
A good game, but again not the same.
Its a single player/multiplayer game.
It's like trying to get the starwars battlefield crowd to flip over to starwars galaxies.
Some will like it, but most are playing it because it is what it is, they like their favorite server with their favorite map/scenario rotation.
What some guy did at 2Am yesterday has 0 effect on him, and if he really doesnt like what is going on, he can go to another server, or start a self hosted game etc.

Some people from the game would like this, but not all will.
Stating because you dont rape a certain kind of game for a lion's share of it's playerbase to bring them over to a different kind of game that is not their cup of tea just does not make a lot of sense.

H&G, its kind of like the 1st two, but they draped a strat framework over it.
Not an entirely new concept, i did it with DOD until Das decided no and took it back out, wasnt the first thing to go.
H&G does not release any public dedicated server simply because it would cost them their microtransaction income and that is their financial model.
Game concept is good for a shoebox shooter, playerbase is in a word BF42weenie.
You wont get those people here, not the majority. You will get the ones that want a war that can progress through their actions and want more realism, but that isnt the majority of that playerbase.

Again Stating because you dont rape a certain kind of game for a lion's share of it's playerbase to bring them over to a different kind of game that is not their cup of tea just does not make a lot of sense.

To do what you seem to be hedging at would require taking this game and changing it to be something it is not and something our original devs nor our current devs never envisioned for the game.

Most people dont find it exactly pleasing to roll up and hit a piece of FHA axis armor to see their round shatter gap on it.
Us? We want that to happen, because thats what really happened.
We want things that for the majority of people rank -0 on the fun level, but for the niche crowd having X stop working because a half penetrating round blew out gear Y is awesome and learning those secrets is an adventure.

They are the smallest crowd out there, but they do exist and always have.
That is who this game was built for, that is the crowd the developers came from, and that is who the game is looking for.
If you build the game for those other groups, then you have built a different game and it isn't WWII Online.
It might have been RA

3 people like this

2 hours ago, merlin51 said:

I have to semi disagree

• how do i go prone
  • how do i aim my rifle
  • how do i get my grenades
  • how to i ride on a vehicle
  • how do i reload
  • how do i get off a vehicle
  • how do i give vehicle throttle
  • how do i shift gears to find reverse
  • how do i throw the backpack (satchel)

And some of these people may not be FPS crowd.
So can not really assume anything for them. Not everyone has played doom or quake after all, some may be coming from combat RTS games

I think my point was ... most people understand how to customize a keymapper. I do it with every single FPS I play. So I'm pretty sure most of these guys can figure out  how to open  the key mapper and see how to go prone, etc...

Most are just too lazy and would rather ask, and that's fine. But my point still stands. There doesn't need to be a mandatory tutorial on how to move or shoot. That's more fun to learn as you go. 

But you do need to know the basics of attack and defend. How to. Where to. 

We're listening and currently making changes to adjust as needed but any other revenue process (p2w, pay for rank etc) would require almost a rewrite of the game and if we're going that far we may as well write version 2 which costs money.

This game was almost dead a few years ago, and with a huge effort on many volunteers part with the direction and passion of Xoom we have come MILES away from those days, what we're trying to do here is keep the game alive, bring in some money and carry on with the Dev map of rewriting it in a modern graphics engine.

As for the current issues, we're working on them as much as possible.

3 people like this

pay to rank  up isn't wrong as it may appeal to some who wont/cant subscribe. would not effect gameplay at all. 

57 minutes ago, lipton said:

I think my point was ... most people understand how to customize a keymapper. I do it with every single FPS I play. So I'm pretty sure most of these guys can figure out  how to open  the key mapper and see how to go prone, etc...

Most are just too lazy and would rather ask, and that's fine. But my point still stands. There doesn't need to be a mandatory tutorial on how to move or shoot. That's more fun to learn as you go. 

But you do need to know the basics of attack and defend. How to. Where to. 

I agree with the keymapper part, big time.  The FIRST thing in the first tutorial should be to open and view the keymapper, so people can customize control inputs to match what they use for other games.  That will instantly make the game a LOT easier and more familiar for them.  I do like the idea of having a short video or something, when they log into the training area for the first time, showing them how to find AOs and DOs and how to spawn into an origin point versus an FMS.

-Irish

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, lipton said:

This! This! This!

Almost all new recruits who join my squad  do not know how to navigate the brigade screen and find action.

New players need to understand:

1).  How to use the Active Battle Tab

2). How to find and join a mission if given a brigade number

Understanding this interface is absolutely necessary.    Brigade navigation is the first thing new players need to deal with when they log  into the game. - even before they fire their first rifle shot.

Edited by krazydog
1 person likes this