eagle7

Is Steam a success so far for CRS?

16 posts in this topic

Or were expectations super high like you would have twenty thousand people downloading the game. My expectations are met, but I don't make money from the game. I always see this as a niche game that was made before games started to be dumbed down for the masses. Hell the tutorial will kill off some of the instant gratification seekers, but those people would have never subscribed or played for long anyway, so you are not missing anything there. I would remove the whole chat part of the tutorial though (f3) because tons of people are getting stuck on that. I even got stuck on that.

I've seen less trolling ([censored] stuff) than I thought I would see with steam players. 

I think this game is bringing and should focus on bringing pilot simulation players from steam. Ive noticed a huge increase in air fighting and this should continue and be focused on. It's a very strong point of this game and this game could actually be an air only game if it wanted, but would not make it as an infantry only game....that is how strong the air is in this game. 

Im glad welcome back soldier is here. Once it is over ill probably start as steam only as I like playing games through steam. 

Hard to say until we see what happens after 30 days imo. How many Steam f2p convert to subscriptions. How many welcome back soldiers resubscribe?

10 hours ago, dale said:

According to Steamspy it's  Players total: 19,031 ± 4,036 (80.19%)

Nice numbers if they are true 

11 hours ago, dale said:

According to Steamspy it's  Players total: 19,031 ± 4,036 (80.19%)

That's total general players. The peak total players in game at once per 24 hours hovers around 250ish. The most players ever recorded in game at once since steam sits at 401

Edited by knucks

3 minutes ago, maxios said:

Nice numbers if they are true 

Steamspy is apparently generally regarded as fairly accurate.  

2 hours ago, robhood said:

But if you look at Steamspy, the average mean time of a player staying in game is 40min.

Sure, but that seems like it's the average of a lot of people who quit during the tutorial and people who play the game outside of Steam (who add it to their library with 0.1 hrs played) versus people who actually play the game via Steam. Not sure that number is a useful average.

CRS may want to look at making true server population numbers public. Never understood why they were withheld, and certainly don't understand now. We're going to have to adapt to Steam and the new era of gaming that this game has been introduced to. A lot of players are judging this game by Steam player numbers alone (which we know aren't all players) 

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, jester said:

CRS may want to look at making true server population numbers public. Never understood why they were withheld, and certainly don't understand now. We're going to have to adapt to Steam and the new era of gaming that this game has been introduced to. A lot of players are judging this game by Steam player numbers alone (which we know aren't all players) 

This.

It's about damn time CRS got over this fear.  Publish the damn numbers.  

2 people like this

16 minutes ago, jester said:

Agreed, especially about the steam player numbers. Most steam players I see will say there's no one playing when in reality most vet players are playing off steam. So the steam numbers are only accurate for the amount of players playing on steam, not as a whole. I wish they integrated steam and old accounts...it's literally advertising CRS is missing out on. I'm playing, but my steam says i'm "Online" doing nothing. I have to go and tell my buddies i'm in game, rather than them just seeing me playing. 

Edited by bmw2
3 people like this

16 minutes ago, jester said:

Agreed.

So long as the side numbers aren't published, what's the harm in knowing how many total are logged in?

Sure, the game monitor has a cutesy little needle looking thing to say whether the server pops are "low, medium or high", but I like seeing total numbers.

1. Yes its been a huge success imho; lots of new players, many great battles and everyone seems to be having a great time.

2. Forget about them releasing the 'server pop numbers' its not gonna happen and there is no need for them to do so. Its a privately held company and they do not have to answer to anyone. Its the same reason why its very difficult to find out revenue or annual sales of any private company. If you want that info, make a proposal to buy a stake in Playnet and be ready to sign disclosures not to release that info. All private companies are this way, they will not and do not need to report sales or 'server population'

edit: I would also like to say congrats and a big wtg to the current CRS team, they have done a great job over the past 12+ months and do deserve our appreciation and thanks for their hard work and accomplishments...excellent work gents

Edited by kazee
2 people like this

6 minutes ago, kazee said:

1. Yes its been a huge success imho; lots of new players, many great battles and everyone seems to be having a great time.

2. Forget about them releasing the 'server pop numbers' its not gonna happen and there is no need for them to do so. Its a privately held company and they do not have to answer to anyone. Its the same reason why its very difficult to find out revenue or annual sales of any private company. If you want that info, make a proposal to buy a stake in Playnet and be ready to sign disclosures not to release that info. All private companies are this way, they will not and do not need to report sales or 'server population'

edit: I would also like to say congrats and a big wtg to the current CRS team, they have done a great job over the past 12+ months and do deserve our appreciation and thanks for their hard work and accomplishments...excellent work gents

It's their right to do so if they choose. Just reporting what I'm seeing as far as new player complaints and issues. 

Gotta keep in mind - this is it for this iteration of WWIIOL having any new breath of life. There is no other chance for the game to seriously rebound short of an entire new game if it all possible. So we really have got to cater to this incoming population.

No idea what's going to come of the sub model but that's the big one

1 person likes this

Yes I hear ya Jester, my main point was...don't count on them releasing those numbers, i just don't see it happening

The key: Get more folks to subscribe. If that happens, I can take this further. I need your help (backing) to see that happen.

2 people like this