• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
skyhawk7

NEW PC BUILD FOR THIS GAME

26 posts in this topic

S!

Does anyone know the path that this game is going to take with the way the code is written. Not sure if that question makes sense. I'm currently building a new computer STRICTLY FOR WWIIONLINE. I know this game as of now only uses 1 or 2 cores and is more CPU dependent than GPU dependent. I am currently looking at the i7 7700k 4.2ghz overclocked to 5ghz  4 core/8 thread and the new Ryzen 7 1700 3.0ghz overclocked to 3.9ghz 8 core/ 16 thread CPU. Can anyone foresee this game using more than 4 cores to operate? I know the i7 is far superior when it comes to gaming. But I also know that newer games will start using more cores. Again this PC is not for multitasking or streaming, the only reason I would go with Ryzen having more cores is if WWIIONLINE will someday require more than 4 cores. Again, its strictly for WWIIONLINE. I also have a 144hz monitor and will be using the EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 hybrid AIO card. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

-Skyhawk

I just upgraded my old PC. I have found thet the GPU can be anything remotly modern.

CPU frequency seems to be the main factor of FPS for this game, since it use only one core, get the cheapest and highest ghz you can find.

I got I-5 7600k @ 4.8, 16 Ram, 270 chipset, and a 1050 i graphics card.

EDIT, checking, I settled on 4.4 ghz, not 4.8.

From this combo I get, at maxt out in game settings, 80 - 150 fps, extrem situations lately I have been down to 30ish or up at 200+.

I actually loose Fps if I overclock the graphiscs card for this game, not so in benchmark software.

I would not worry about future WWI needs, when we have a new game engine your build would still need replacing for age reasons alone.

Edited by Hardlead
Edit ghz I use

3 minutes ago, lipton said:

jpeg

Stop, just stop!

just cause you've the cash to piddle away on this, no need to rub our noses in it.
bet you're not even gonna share 

If he has that kind of cash laying around Lipton...  he should just buy WWIIOL and spend a load developing it on a new engine.

I built a gaming PC so I could get better framerates and a lot more processing, and well... it's lost on this old platform for the most part.

While get FPS in the 50-120 range depending on where I'm fighting and how intense it is, the higher speed and extra RAM only does SO much, even with a 1070 8Gb graphics card.

We can only do so much on our end to remedy the issues, so I say build a PC that will handle even the most graphics intense games and let it ride, careful to include at least thebasic VR capabilities and you'll be fine. Mine cost around $750 USD and I reused my case and kept my old HDD for storage. 

Definitely get a SSD though, and a motherboard that has a PCIe slot primarily for it. Fast load times.

It takes about 15 seconds for the game to load here after entering my PW and hitting "Play".

From a cold boot I am sitting at my desktop in about 20sec.

I usually go to the Tom's hardware site and look at the benchmarks. There is always a point where the money skyrockets but the power in terms of benchmarks really doesn't buy you that much. I get my CPU and GPU right at the point where that curve breaks upward in terms of money. Best cost per performance. 

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

It takes about 15 seconds for the game to load here after entering my PW and hitting "Play".

bah it takes me more than 15 seconds just to enter my username and password
The loading is fine, it's remembering again who i was playing.

Until they make a 1 or 2tb ssd that is affordable
Not paying $600 for a 2tb drive just for a little speed boost.

35 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

From a cold boot I am sitting at my desktop in about 20sec.

That is so sad :( 
You have my deepest sympathies, i shall think sadly of you everytime i boot to desktop in 4.6 seconds.

Its not a windows desktop, but it's still a desktop :D
Expressgate, a tiny linux distro on a flashdrive that's embedded in my mobo, think the instant on MOBO's went the way of the dodo though?

Thanks for the reply guys. I figured there was only so much I can do on my end to get best performance. Hopefully the game servers will be updated soon, especially with the amount of people Steam brought in.

game wise? pick a CPU that has the best single core performance, since the game currently runs primary on a single core.
Some do better than others in this aspec.

Video wise? Since the game can run between 30 and 60fps on some very old video hardware, i would say to just pick one that would be suitable for running other games you are interested in and WWII Online will be happy. 

OK... I'll play.  

Here's the build I did a few months ago

Intel i5-6600K CPU @3.50GHz

Liquid Cooled with the H1001 v2  water cooling system from Corsair.

Gibabyte Z1Z0-X-Gaming3 Motherboard 

Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB SATA III Internal SSD

WD Black 1 TB HD Drive 7200 SATA

GeForce GTX 1070 8Gb

Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 RAM 32 GB (recently upgraded from 16)

1000 watt EVGA GQ Gold Power Supply

Thermaltake Chaser MK-1  Full Tower Gaming Computer Chasis

Dell UltraSharp U2715 27-inch LED-Lit Monitor

Sennheiser PC 363D High Performance Surround Sound Gaming Headset  (These things F'n ROCK!)

I chose the i5-6600K CPU after reading MANY reviews. They basically stated that the i7 didn't give you enough bang for your buck. The i5-6600K was a better choice for gaming than the i7.... according to the experts. 

I also installed a few extra large capacity fans on the tower to increase airflow thru the tower.  Push/Pull

To be honest... none of this fixes my connection issues. I've had SuddenLink out here twice. I think I've found the issue and it's something they will need to replace. I'm calling them again today. 

Edited by lipton

@skyhawk7 I purchased a custom build from cyberpowerpc earlier this year. Yeah, I could have saved money building it on my own but I didn't have the time. I "needed" ;)  this for my business using AutoCAD and personal use with Adobe After Effects. I paid over $1,700.00 but I love it. Since the purchase, I upgraded the ram from 16 to 32 gigs (needed for After Effects). 

e74e3c159ff8c2e657ab099d9894d13e.png

81ad113a156a2d3481326d129a8ba0ce.png

The screenie below is offline mode - best performance setting hitting near 800 fps. I play with every feature turned on and hold at 60 fps (+/- 3 fps) no matter how big the battle/players (you'd think it would be higher right?). No overclocking, just straight out of the box it came in. I did order it without the OS... didn't want all the added software BS on a new build.

c4b251ce673d94e9497e6d447f78f12e.png

As previously mentioned, CPU and RAM is the key for this game. I play on my laptop (chip-set video) and it has an i5 with 12 gigs ram with no issues - balanced setting. 

10 hours ago, chimm said:

@skyhawk7 I purchased a custom build from cyberpowerpc earlier this year. Yeah, I could have saved money building it on my own but I didn't have the time. I "needed" ;)  this for my business using AutoCAD and personal use with Adobe After Effects. I paid over $1,700.00 but I love it. Since the purchase, I upgraded the ram from 16 to 32 gigs (needed for After Effects). 

e74e3c159ff8c2e657ab099d9894d13e.png

81ad113a156a2d3481326d129a8ba0ce.png

The screenie below is offline mode - best performance setting hitting near 800 fps. I play with every feature turned on and hold at 60 fps (+/- 3 fps) no matter how big the battle/players (you'd think it would be higher right?). No overclocking, just straight out of the box it came in. I did order it without the OS... didn't want all the added software BS on a new build.

c4b251ce673d94e9497e6d447f78f12e.png

As previously mentioned, CPU and RAM is the key for this game. I play on my laptop (chip-set video) and it has an i5 with 12 gigs ram with no issues - balanced setting. 

Holy crap!  You coulda saved yourself  $700 by building that yourself.  And It only takes 1 day. 

Edited by lipton

9 minutes ago, lipton said:

Holy crap!  You coulda saved yourself at least $700 by building that yourself. 

I know... needed to replace my old one quick , and it's a tax write off for my business.

The case has 7 fans with plenty of room for expansion. here's a pic next to a 42" monitor as I was getting it set up

b22f2b8120c19edd8475adfcf6b9eb17.jpg

17 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

...and you didn't even get a liquid cooled CPU heatsink.

I personally have issues with liquids near/in electronics. I'm sure they are safe, and the reviews are awesome, I just don't trust the gaskets and didn't want to worry about it. 

The large case with all the fans works quite well. 

Agree with you on distrust of Liquid cooling for CPU. Have a friend who had his liquid cooler develop a leak, ended up costing him a new motherboard. Am sure they work well, just personally prefer a large case with plenty of fans.

So right now my build is ....

CPU:    i7 7700k (@lipton Now not sure if i should get the i7 7700k or i5 6600k... Ill have to do more research on that)

CPU Cooler:    Auraflow 240 

GPU:    GTX 1070 FTW Hybrid liquid cooled 

Motherboard:    Asus STRIX Z270-E Gaming

Memory:    G.Skill Trident Z RGB (2x8 gb)

Hardrive:    Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB SSD M.2 (this computer is strictly gaming...no need for bigger harddrive)  

PCU:    Corsair - RMz 650W 80+ Gold 

Case:    DIYPC Vanguard RGB....Has 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan already installed    

I'm pretty sure this is more than enough to run this game with no problems. 

Edited by skyhawk7

1 hour ago, skyhawk7 said:

CPU:    i7 7700k (@lipton Now not sure if i should get the i7 7700k or i5 6600k... Ill have to do more research on that)

Hardrive:    Samsung - 850 EVO 250GB SSD M.2 (this computer is strictly gaming...no need for bigger harddrive)  

Case:    DIYPC Vanguard RGB....Has 3 intake fans and 1 exhaust fan already installed    

I have very similar build and the game runs as fine as is expected. But obviously not how it should run with a rig as up to date as this. If you want the best gaming performance out of your CPU, go with 7700k (Haven't really paid attention to the newest gen Intels and their benchmarks though). If you wan't to invest into the future (for other games etc), go with Ryzen because it has more cores.

Also the price difference between 250GB and 500GB is so little, that I would get the 500gb SSD straight up. 

Edited by gretnine

On 9/25/2017 at 0:03 AM, skyhawk7 said:

Go with a bigger PCU. NEVER get less than a 750W in my opinion... This rig will put too much strain on a 650w.

Edited by lipton

On 9/25/2017 at 1:03 AM, skyhawk7 said:

LOL  you dont want to see my games drive then

3 minutes ago, merlin51 said:

LOL  you dont want to see my games drive then

I use the SSD for things I need to boot up quickly like my OS, work programs, web browsers, anti-virus and such. And of course WWIIOL to reduce stutters.  The other "cheap" HD is mostly for storage. Photos, videos, general library storage and secondary programs I don't need to boot up quickly. 

Also, get a cool little program called SSDTrweaker. It's a great little program for tweaking SSD settings. 

I use one of these:

518BEXKEiiL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Handles anything my humble i5 will generate without even noticing, really. I don't overclock on this rig, so it's fine. 

How's your build coming OP?