Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Rifleman tatics

rotofree

SO I'm basically cannon fodder in this game. I was behind a guy last night, I right clicked and aimed for his head and missed, He turned around and shot me. He was also a rifleman.

My question is should I be right clicking when I aim, I think I should be.

Also, when I sprint into buildings and look around, it doesn't take long before I encounter a guy with a machine gun. I expect to lose to these guys but are machine gunners right clicking and aiming like rifle men do? On screen it seems they are not.

Edited by rotofree

Close range autos are generally hip firing when assaulting.

Some use a 'Doom Sight' when hip firing.  You always fire to the exact center of you screen.  So some will put a dot or other indicator in the exact center of the screen to help with hip firing target.

I generally aim with a rifle if not close range.  The other thing you will see is guys drop to prone and fire.

One other thing to remember is that if the enemy is moving you will need a touch of a lead, the amount of lead depends on the distance.  The games physics take this into account.

While I do generally suck at infantry, I would say that the use of the weapons tend to be more of a 'feel' thing ... that is, they just take practice.  When I watch vids of good riflemen they will aim but you will note that generally they are already bringing up the weapon in the proper position for the shot instead of bringing up the weapon and then moving it around to aim .. again practice practice.  

Edited by cosian
  • Like 1

Thanks,

Where can I get a doom sight? Also, I just logged into my old premium account and qualified for a fee 30 day premium access. So tonight, I may be a machine gunner. I'll also drop off the "rotoFree" account and you will see me as just "Roto".

I never thought of watching some youtube vids, thanks for that. I need help, I'm getting owned.

Also, when that guy was infront of me, should I have aimed for his back and not his head? After I hit his back I can go prone and then try to finish him off?

Edited by rotofree

I use a dry erease marker and put a dot on my screen. The dry erase marker will wipe off when you don't want it on your screen anymore. I hope this helps! Happy hunting!! S!

42 minutes ago, rotofree said:

Also, when that guy was infront of me, should I have aimed for his back and not his head? After I hit his back I can go prone and then try to finish him off?

There is no damage soak in this game like other FPS.  You hit a guy in the back with .303 from an Enfield, he is going down.  No need to aim for headshots.  Wounds only occur in the arms, legs, or perhaps a graze.

Ya you just want a dot in the center of your screen.  You will know the center of your screen by simply 'aiming' a weapon and putting a mark on sight tip.  Or you can use colored sticky paper as well.  But a bright dry erase is probably best.  

You will still want to use the iron sight aiming for longer distance shots or if you feel you have time to aim this way. I think the bullet spread is less this way but am not positive. 

The guys lugging LMGs in buildings don't really need sights at that range. They spray from the hip, and at that range, it's deadly, if not particularly accurate. They're spitting 7.92mm Mauser rounds, and if you catch one, you're basically dead. 

If you have a bolt-action rifle, I suggest you try and stay out of the close-quarters fights. You'll be outclassed, even by the guy with a dinky little pistol. Try to find an area where you have a decent separation from the enemy (50m+) and pick them off instead of getting down and dirty in the buildings.

My favourite range is the 100m-200m range, where you can get the drop on the enemies and use your range advantage, but not far enough that you have to factor in bullet dip. 

The best part is when SMGs think they can challenge you at that range, and spray rounds all around you while you calmly fire a large .303 into his chest. :)

I do not profess to be an expert, just trying to give my best advice. 

On 9/22/2017 at 0:39 PM, cosian said:

Ya you just want a dot in the center of your screen.  You will know the center of your screen by simply 'aiming' a weapon and putting a mark on sight tip.  Or you can use colored sticky paper as well.  But a bright dry erase is probably best.  

ty, good advice

So, this weekend I finally had a break through in this game. Keep in mind, I was like 5 kills and 50+ deaths prior. So, it was saturday morning when the population was low, so I was able to make it to a really sweet spot to snipe from. Long story short, one sortie I got 9 kills in 20 minutes and another one I got 11 kill in a similar amount of time. At one point I got so lucky that a squd a 5 rifle men walked with in 300 yards of me. That was sooooo much fun trying to hit them at that distance. When they went prone, that's when I was able to hit them. So I learned when a sniper is on me, F going prone, just run towards a building and zig zag. So I gained two ranks. Logged in again later that night when the populations was high, I went machine gunner. I'm very impatient, so a machine gunner is more my style. I had a blast with him. I got a few kills. But since the population was high, it was tough to make it to the flag buildings before getting tank machine gunned down.

I still have tons of questions though. Here one...

How do I build a MS? I hear you gain rank quickly deploying them.

Edited by rotofree

8 minutes ago, rotofree said:

How do I build a MS? I hear you gain rank quickly deploying them.

Spawn a truck - drive to a town - press Z to deploy FMS. Best way to gain rank Quickly is to GUARD or CAP cps.

1 hour ago, kagetora said:

The day you need to mark a physical dot on the center of your screen is the day you really should consider uninstalling.

It actually helped me when I was jogging through bushes and an enemy riflemen appeared. I got him.

2 hours ago, gretnine said:

Spawn a truck - drive to a town - press Z to deploy FMS. Best way to gain rank Quickly is to GUARD or CAP cps.

ty

Seriously?

I thought marking dots on your screen was only for johnny no scope *l33tGh05tsn1p00rzz8999" in COD? Think id rather die repeatedly to enemy infantry and improve through practice than resort to that.

However far be it for me to be the source of all negativity.... so basic general need to know for Infantry:-

1/Situational awareness :-

"Audio" - Learn what sounds vehicle and weapons make, especially the enemy ones. "Map" - Use it and mark targets spotted even if its just a rough audio location, also in general mark things on the map when you kill them. "Chat" Use it!, also learn how to message people on the map directly, learn the abbreviations everyone uses for faster communication - "EMS+AT SW of WAB, EI IB" conveys a lot of accurate info quickly if you know the terminology.

2/Movement on the battlefield :-

"Movement" - If you have to move RUN, if you have to run DANCE (i.e. zig zag etc.). "Cover+concealment" -use it always, avoid the open ground unless no other option. "Warp spawning" - Learn how to RTB near a depot then uncheck the mobile spawn option and respawn in said depot. Also as a general rule.. if you think you have stayed in one position for too long, you already have and are about to die, RELOCATE whenever possible.

3/Firing your weapon :-

Only fire you weapon when your are pretty sure you will score a hit, this is very important for a rifleman. Learn how to lead the target and by how much depending on your angle to the enemy, their rate of movement, distance to target, elevation to target, rotation of the earth ... yadda yadda, practice and experience is your only option. For a rifleman PAGEUP and PAGEDN to set the distance on your sights!!! very important. In your example of shooting at an EI's head, my KAR98 is set to 200m. If I'm closer than that to my target and aim for his head I'm aiming high! (unless I'm silly close of course and in that case I'm doing "Rifleman" wrong). Remember you have a high explosive charge and grenades, nothing says "hear I am!!!"better than a smoke grenade however.

Common sense stuff mainly and this is just a few random points.

Edited by kagetora
Atrocious spelling

On 9/26/2017 at 4:22 AM, kagetora said:

Seriously?

I thought marking dots on your screen was only for johnny no scope *l33tGh05tsn1p00rzz8999" in COD? Think id rather die repeatedly to enemy infantry and improve through practice than resort to that.

However far be it for me to be the source of all negativity.... so basic general need to know for Infantry:-

1/Situational awareness :-

"Audio" - Learn what sounds vehicle and weapons make, especially the enemy ones. "Map" - Use it and mark targets spotted even if its just a rough audio location, also in general mark things on the map when you kill them. "Chat" Use it!, also learn how to message people on the map directly, learn the abbreviations everyone uses for faster communication - "EMS+AT SW of WAB, EI IB" conveys a lot of accurate info quickly if you know the terminology.

2/Movement on the battlefield :-

"Movement" - If you have to move RUN, if you have to run DANCE (i.e. zig zag etc.). "Cover+concealment" -use it always, avoid the open ground unless no other option. "Warp spawning" - Learn how to RTB near a depot then uncheck the mobile spawn option and respawn in said depot. Also as a general rule.. if you think you have stayed in one position for too long, you already have and are about to die, RELOCATE whenever possible.

3/Firing your weapon :-

Only fire you weapon when your are pretty sure you will score a hit, this is very important for a rifleman. Learn how to lead the target and by how much depending on your angle to the enemy, their rate of movement, distance to target, elevation to target, rotation of the earth ... yadda yadda, practice and experience is your only option. For a rifleman PAGEUP and PAGEDN to set the distance on your sights!!! very important. In your example of shooting at an EI's head, my KAR98 is set to 200m. If I'm closer than that to my target and aim for his head I'm aiming high! (unless I'm silly close of course and in that case I'm doing "Rifleman" wrong). Remember you have a high explosive charge and grenades, nothing says "hear I am!!!"better than a smoke grenade however.

Common sense stuff mainly and this is just a few random points.

I dumped my free account and went back to my premium account, so I'm "Roto" now; not "RotoFree".

Thanks, Your firing weapon tips, I do that now. Since last Saturday, I learned a lot. The Audio, definite room for improvement here. I do think their 3D sound is buddy, sometimes I hear a tank that sounds like I'm about to get run over and their is no tank in sight. For movement suggestions, I'm all over that. The only one I don't do or understand is your "Warp Spawning", It kinda sounds like cheating.

Edited by Roto

Any tips on detecting where sniper fire is coming from? I was in a AT last night and I felt like a fish in a barrel. Not only was I easy pickings, but I couldn't even tell where the sniper fire was coming from.

1 minute ago, Roto said:

"Warp Spawning"

If you despawn in range of a friendly owned facility that is capable of spawning your unit type, you will respawn from that location if you simply spawn back in immediately
without reselecting your unit type etc.

It is an intended mechanic per se, but warping from the FM to the CP wasn't exactly the goal, that's just an unintended by product, the devs have not considered it cheating, more of an accidental bonus that at some point they will look at putting to rest.

5 minutes ago, Roto said:

I do think their 3D sound is buddy, sometimes I hear a tank that sounds like I'm about to get run over and their is no tank in sight.

tank on other side of buildings etc is still quite loud.
There is no audio occlusion by terrain, so if you hear one loud, it is close someplace, just might be locked from your view.
For giggles run the game in 5 channel surround if you can, then go to the middle of a town being heavily attacked.
You suddenly realize there is not a direction that someone is not coming to kill you from.

7 minutes ago, Roto said:

Any tips on detecting where sniper fire is coming from? I was in a AT last night and I felt like a fish in a barrel. Not only was I easy pickings, but I couldn't even tell where the sniper fire was coming from.

patience.
To catch the sniper you have to not be in a hurry.
Stay back from the kill zone and patiently observe, Listen, try to pinpoint the location from the audio  then look for muzzle flashes, then go stab him from behind

I don't play AT but you are a sitting duck for infantry. I could only suggest to use your commander as much as possible to locate them before they locate you. And use HE against inf ofc.

Just now, kagetora said:

I don't play AT but you are a sitting duck for infantry. I could only suggest to use your commander as much as possible to locate them before they locate you. And use HE against inf ofc.

Dont think most ATG's carry HE?

4 minutes ago, kagetora said:

PAK 36,38,40 and the 88 all carry HE.

OMG, CRS Nerf the AXIS
I haz no HE's on my MLE37ses

88 i knew had HE, i guess i have never looked for it on the smaller guns, and never lived long enough it run out of AP.
I have taken the MLE34 though and started nailing EI with AP, at least until i finally got over run. It has a pretty good firing rate

On 9/22/2017 at 0:39 PM, cosian said:

Believe it or not I just purchased a new monitor and I was fiddling with the settings and a found a button that said game mode..............it actually put a crosshair in the center of my monitor screen............I dont really like and personally wouldnt use it as it just blocks my view........beside it also gets in the way if you want to take a long shot not a hip fire. Sort of lame if you ask me but I had no idea it was even an option till I adjusted the color and saw it.

57 minutes ago, bmw said:

Believe it or not I just purchased a new monitor and I was fiddling with the settings and a found a button that said game mode..............it actually put a crosshair in the center of my monitor screen............I dont really like and personally wouldnt use it as it just blocks my view........beside it also gets in the way if you want to take a long shot not a hip fire. Sort of lame if you ask me but I had no idea it was even an option till I adjusted the color and saw it.

was that button in your monitor or video card settings? Like monitor settings are accessed from physical plastic buttons on the monitor while video card setting are software based under your nVida setting (assuming you are using an nVida card)