ZEBBEEE

Auditing explosion effects (real pics)

20 posts in this topic

As explosions and AP physics are being audited, what about its visual effects to give players much better show and immersion ?

Ideally each explosion should continue generating smoke/dust for at least 30 seconds (if the engine can handle it).

Mortar HE explosion :

explosion-following-aircraft-bombing-dur

Light bomb explosion (air):

explosion-following-aircraft-bombing-dur

Heavy bomb explosion (air) :

bomb-exploding-near-troops-wwii-photo-pr

gun AP explosion

An_explosion_near_trenches_dug_into_the_

Grenade :

lucas1.jpg

Once upon a time, in a fledgling game far far away
Explosions had globs of dirt raining down

The idea seemed great

the bugs and anomalies it caused were terrifying

it's been banished ever hence.

The End

Comics aside i recall aside from the bugs it did not do frame rates any favors
We had bomb craters too, they made great infantry fighting positions

29 minutes ago, vasduten1 said:

I'm afraid a new engine would be necessary for most of this visual "immersion".

Even with that, i'm afraid 1 60 plane flight of HE-111's would roll by and cripple frame rates for miles lol

1 person likes this

On 9/24/2017 at 1:38 PM, merlin51 said:

Once upon a time, in a fledgling game far far away
Explosions had globs of dirt raining down

The idea seemed great

the bugs and anomalies it caused were terrifying

it's been banished ever hence.

The End

Comics aside i recall aside from the bugs it did not do frame rates any favors
We had bomb craters too, they made great infantry fighting positions

I believe "cornflakes" were one of those side effects. remember them?

we never had craters from bombs. Ever. The terrain is not deformable.

1 person likes this

I hope the surprise of early 2018 is about this, and I hope the result would be hollywood-styled.  

Also better persistent smoke and dust, for battlefield obscuration. Bad sightlines on the battlefield is a key contributor in the real world to attacking infantry survivability, and all infantry survivability when tanks are around.

The dust and smoke that goes up in an explosion, doesn't just disappear. It spreads out and drifts in the breeze direction, but it takes a long time to settle to the ground. 

On 10/11/2017 at 10:05 AM, Kidd27 said:

I believe "cornflakes" were one of those side effects. remember them?

When a bomb explodes, place a ppo crater where it hit anything but a build or bridge, something that would look like like a 360 deg fox hole.  The bigger the bomb, the bigger the ppo crater.  Bombs would have to be STO's though,  I think. It would be awesome!

Edited by GrAnit

2 hours ago, jwilly said:

Also better persistent smoke and dust, for battlefield obscuration. Bad sightlines on the battlefield is a key contributor in the real world to attacking infantry survivability, and all infantry survivability when tanks are around.

The dust and smoke that goes up in an explosion, doesn't just disappear. It spreads out and drifts in the breeze direction, but it takes a long time to settle to the ground. 

Completely agree

1 hour ago, GrAnit said:

When a bomb explodes, place a ppo crater where it hit anything but a build or bridge, something that would look like like a 360 deg fox hole.  The bigger the bomb, the bigger the ppo crater.  Bombs would have to be STO's though,  I think. It would be awesome!

Would be great, but should somehow only happen on the green grass to avoid bugs with dirt and roads near buildings 

Although the wish list expressed here may be a bit much, a better rendition of real life explosive effects than that currently modeled in game is probably quite doable. Computers are much more powerful than those at the time of the game's inception. It would be appropriate to add a more realistic, if not elaborate, explosion sprite with the new HE effects. Would be much more immersive.

A lot of this dirt of thing could be done via modern graphic cards shaders..minimal cpu required. Not sure if the engine can handle it. A lot of this stuff is available free in the unreal engine marketplace. 

On 10/11/2017 at 10:05 AM, Kidd27 said:

it didnt deform, it just sat on the ground like a ppo
Was a ring of dirt with a blob in the center
May have possibly been the damaged state of something, too long ago to remember

1 hour ago, merlin51 said:

Think they need a TNT audit
More like a 5 microton tactical nuke

haha thought the same. I was more thinking about grenades and bombs

20 hours ago, merlin51 said:

Think they need a TNT audit
More like a 5 microton tactical nuke

I think you mean 5 ton.

A microtonne is 1/1000000 of 1000 kilograms, or 1 gram. 5 grams of TNT is roughly equivalent to two of the original-strength "M-80" firecrackers.

PS appears to have unrealistic effects.

No, 5 micro tons of Plutonium.
He set the TNT in a field, or so it looked, and suddenly the tanks go up like magnesium

15 hours ago, merlin51 said:

No, 5 micro tons of Plutonium.
He set the TNT in a field, or so it looked, and suddenly the tanks go up like magnesium

The blast effect of nuclear weapons is conventionally expressed in equivalent kilotons of TNT. So, a modern tactical nuke may be one to ten kilotons (of TNT). The amount of uranium or plutonium required to release that much energy normally isn't quantified, other than it having to be at least a critical mass in order to achieve the requisite neutron density during critical compression to initiate the chain reaction.

A microton(ne) of plutonium again would be 5 grams. The critical mass of plutonium, assuming optimal chemistry, density-compression and surrounding neutron reflection, is roughly 2000 grams. That much plutonium, optimally reacted, could release at least 100 Kt (TNT equivalent) of energy.

Yes, setting a demolition charge in a field and having it destroy relatively distant tanks is pretty much absurd.

Edited by jwilly