delems

So many new squad members.

48 posts in this topic

Really need a way to organize all the new players.

I'ld like to assign them squad ranks, then put them in teams, preferably able to sort them and color coded on map?

Finally, the team leader/XO/CO should have a way to 'post' the mission their team should go to, and the new players would see it on their screen and just click it.

Even  a 'grab team' command, so all team members are moved to the team leader mission.

Really need some tools to manage squads better, we could organize into a platoon right now, that many online; but not a chance with the tools we have available.

3 people like this

No amount of new tech tools will control the new guys. No matter how sophisticated the tools are.

You need to communicate with the new recruits the old-fashioned way:  one by one with private messages and get them on Discord chat first.

Once you got them on voice comms they are much easier to manage.

All the ones who refuse to respond  usually  get the boot out of the squad at some point.

This is how most of the more-organized squads manage it I think.  There are a few exceptions though.

Edited by krazydog
2 people like this

I dont boot anyone, but my squad isnt a real squad, more of a glorified help channel.

But yea, at nearing 200 names in the list, it is hard to manage lol.

I am finding a lot dont respond because they dont speak english, and some are simply confused and overwhelmed by the chat bar

*** No amount of new tech tools will control the new guys

Probably true, but if they see they are part of a team, and box comes up saying their team is "here" click this to join them.... good chance they might.

This idea is more for managing the existing squad, it would just help the new players join.

Edited by delems
1 person likes this

New tools for managing veterans - yes - tech can be useful with that - I agree.

But if we are talking about brand new green tags - things only work the old fashioned way:)

*** But if we are talking about brand new green tags - things only work the old fashioned way:)

Not so sure about that.

If they could see they were part of a team (viewing in squad listing) and if a button was always present allow them to immediate spawn on the team leaders mission (2nd button for CO mission?), I think they would be much more likely to join.

We say squads are important, but they get nothing and can't do anything.

No squad missions, no squad internal organization, no squad flags, no squad PPOs nada....

In fact, name one thing I can do as a member of a squad that I can't do as a non member, or name one perk.

Edited by delems

Really need some perks for squads, and I really need more squad management tools.  Any thoughts on this?

Thought of a way to hack squad rank into the system with very little work (guessing).

Take the current 'position' column in the squad tab, and change it to 'Squad rank'.

Then, change the CO,XO, recruiter, member tags to all the ranks i.e. private, private first class.... up to Col.

This only requires adding more positions.  Then we can use the existing code to promote or demote members through the ranks.

(there will be no more  CO, XO, recruiter etc...)

If we don't want to do that. Then it seem we need two more columns in the squad tab.

A 'Squad rank' and 'Unit' column.

These would both be editable by the CO, squad ranks would default to system rank, until CO manually put in number for a rank.

The unit column would default to 'reserve' until a unit name was put in.

This allows me to assign ranks to my members (seen in game) and put them in units/teams.

Finally, being able to color code each unit type would be nice, with the highest ranking member of the unit a slightly brighter color.

And, adding two buttons to the screen beside 'join member', they would be 'join unit leader' and 'join CO'.

This would be a huge improvement in allowing COs to manage the squad and for new players to get to their units mission.

Edited by delems

Today had 20+ members on for 4+ hours; 80% newbs.

Was literally impossible to direct them as needed.

Now, had they been assignable to teams, and then the team leaders mission a 'button' away from joining, it would have been easier.

Sure, I can chat with everyone, one at a time, and do nothing else.

Or the system could easily facilitate organizing squads, allowing the players to get where their needed and me to keep leading.

This really needs looking into imo.

or you chat with your teamleaders and have them pair off with the new players.  even with the in-squad ranks your communications channels would be the same. 

1 hour ago, delems said:

Today had 20+ members on for 4+ hours; 80% newbs.

Was literally impossible to direct them as needed.

Now, had they been assignable to teams, and then the team leaders mission a 'button' away from joining, it would have been easier.

Simple?

pick 4 vet squad member.
Have them make their mission or what not
divide up the noobs assign 5 to each vet, have them join that vet from the JOIN buttons in the squad tab?

Since you guys rely almost completely on squads for new player training and retention you're screwing yourselves by not giving squad leaders some basic communication and planning features.

Agree with david, sheesh - give us some help here; we're working for YOU to bring more players to game.

*** pick 4 vet squad member. Have them make their mission or what not

Ok, most recent example;  13 on, me;  2 members that have been here less than 1 week;  10 recruits........

The problem is, you're asking us to 'pull' them in, requiring a lot of work on our part...  request they join, teach how to join etc.

INSTEAD - I want the system to invite them in.... less work on our part.

In this simple case, i assign the 2 'vets' (with 1 week experience, but at least members) into teams.

Of course I'm already a team lead...

Then I assign the 10 newbs to our teams... they instantly see the button to join their team leader, or CO. (at squad tab)

All i have to do is say 'go to squad tab to work with squad/team'.

With squad rank, they can see who is more in a 'leadership' role than other.

I know i can do it all, I know I can talk with everyone, and individually team them and do everything myself one recruit at a time.... I KNOW THAT.

What i'm saying is it isn't fun , and it isn't fast enough for newbs to get into game.  Not only that, it completely takes me out of playing the game.

The system needs to aide us in playing game - plain and simple.

Edited by delems

*** But yea, at nearing 200 names in the list, it is hard to manage lol.
You in the JV Branch, in charge of the wounded?  Ear and stomach battalions?

Well over 700 as I type.......

Edited by delems

Well, guess you all do what you think.  Said my piece, I don't think I have the tools required to manage a squad.

I have:  1 vet,  1 corporal (almost ready to be an assistant team leader) and 4 privates with a week of experience.

Then we have 26 more rookies ready to be led......

It is a nice problem, but no way to help them. (and ya, over 800 now)

Edited by delems

25 minutes ago, delems said:

but no way to help them.

Have you actually gotten most of them to actually talk?
One of the biggest problems i have, i can not think of a tool to help with aside from a baked-in-the-game voice chat that they can't turn off.
you take 100 guys, and 5 of them actually communicate.
The other 95 have just headed off on a 16km road march to nowheresville  :( 

17 hours ago, delems said:

Well, guess you all do what you think.  Said my piece, I don't think I have the tools required to manage a squad.

I have:  1 vet,  1 corporal (almost ready to be an assistant team leader) and 4 privates with a week of experience.

Then we have 26 more rookies ready to be led......

It is a nice problem, but no way to help them. (and ya, over 800 now)

It's too much work. You have to build everything yourself outside the game. Voice comms, hierarchy, permissions, etc. The game doesn't give you anything. When I was back in windhund the only way to have a chance with the new guys was to get them on teamspeak not for increased coordination, but just so we could talk them through the UI and where to spawn. We spent a lot of time helping countless recruits who would thank us, play for maybe an hour or two, then log off and never log on again. Since new player retention is so low it's like tossing your free time down the hole. And that was taxing with like a dozen vets online and only a few recruits. This "private message every one of the 30 greentags online" and "have the guy with two hour's experience lead the other ten greentags who don't even speak english" nonsense won't fly.

I'd say that at a minimum:

-squad recruits need to automatically be placed on to a squad's mission when they log on

-squad CO/XOs need squad-wide alert messages to spam the yellow text to everyone online

-freaking hotlinks in the chat bar so recruits can click on a mission in the chat bar when posted and be directed there

Ya, I know I said last word... but once more.

I got on right now:

1 vet

2 assistant team leads (few months)

3 privates (less than 1 week)

and 7 recruits

And now over 1100.... yes, I said that right, over 1100.   Could form into an entire battalion with HQ, Signals section, 3 rifle companies, MG company and supply group.. and still have a rifle company in reserve.

Now, if I just had a way to actually organize them.....

On the bright side, some of the assistant team leaders are starting to step up now.

Edited by delems

31 minutes ago, delems said:

Now, if I just had a way to actually organize them.....

do yours actually talk and respond?

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:27 AM, delems said:

Really need a way to organize all the new players.

I'ld like to assign them squad ranks, then put them in teams, preferably able to sort them and color coded on map?

Finally, the team leader/XO/CO should have a way to 'post' the mission their team should go to, and the new players would see it on their screen and just click it.

Even  a 'grab team' command, so all team members are moved to the team leader mission.

Really need some tools to manage squads better, we could organize into a platoon right now, that many online; but not a chance with the tools we have available.

need an icon for what language they speak

1 person likes this

*** do yours actually talk and respond?

Yes, many, not all of course;  prolly not even 50%; but maybe 20?

When I left, we had 2 vets (CO,XO), 2 assistant team leads, 4 privates and 9 rookies.  We were in 3 teams, about half of us; other half doing whatever.

*** need an icon for what language they speak

Interesting idea, not sure it helps much - players that don't speak with us leave soon enough.

Edited by delems

I do hope something is being looked at, or at least thought about.

Yesterday I could have had a platoon HQ, 4 squads and attached ATG section had I been able to organize everyone.

I know, half wouldn't have joined, but the other half would have given me 2 full squads to work with.

K, squad dwindled from over a Battalion to just over a Company.  Debating to leave here or drop to a Platoon.

Allowing dynamic AOs is a good idea and helps squads.

Now, what about squads having their own flag, MSK would like their company formation on map, or we could scale it to Platoon size.

And we still need assignable member ranks, and grouping functions.

And don't forget squad mission control options, turning off MS, turning off Mission and kicking players.

That wraps up my Christmas squad list wish.

(ok, maybe a squad PPO HQ be nice too)

I don't know if you have a squad website, that would help your organization a lot by posting messages. The training server is a great tool for teaching your people free from dieing and distractions. We had a 30 day training that was required for anyone to join the squad.....that was on designated days apart from actual play time. During actual squad missions the candidate was watched to see how he performed with the squad. This training time was to evaluate as to whether the candidate was a good fit before his actual acceptance. At the end of the training period the new squaddie could pick which branch was his main focus. At the end, we got experienced players who were instilled with the traditions and discipline required for our squad as summed up in our Code of Conduct. It sounds kind of harsh, sort of, yet it saved a lot of grief and some people didn't want to abide by the CoC so they didn't even go thru training. Overall we focused on fun and respect.

In my first squad we had all the above and some other things. But one thing we always did (before ms' came along) was to form up behind our opels that would take us to our assigned part of the attack. Each opel was a squad with a designation and an officer with a backup officer. Another good discipline that was simple and cut down on confusion. GL.

zimm  out

*** In my first squad we had all the above 

Yes, I could do that;  but that is a lot of manual work I have to do, for every player - very inefficient.  And I don't get paid enough by the rats to do it.

When, then system could easily facilitate doing most that work for me.

What is technology for ?????

We badly need squad tools to help our squads.  We have 5 different units in our squad - very hard to organize them with no in game tools.

And it would make it so much easier to integrate new players.

We need squad ranks, squad groups and a way to pull or at least invite rookies to the proper mission.

This should be a HIGH priority imo for devs, so squads can thrive.

No squads, no game.... pretty simple.   It is the squads that bring players into this game.  The time for dissing squads needs to be over.

Squads are the game.

Edited by delems