• Announcements

• BLKHWK8

Squad vs Squad Battle for Notre Dame Postponed   08/03/2018

The event for this weekend will be postponed... We have not been able to get a solid commitment to run the event. I will be posting a poll to select a better date and time. Poll:    Welcome back our Squad vs Squad events. Please check out the forum post here   
delems

So many new squad members.

48 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, delems said:

We need squad ranks, squad groups and a way to pull or at least invite rookies to the proper mission.

This should be a HIGH priority imo for devs, so squads can thrive.

A lot of FPS games are going below even the standard squad level now and adding fire teams or something similar. Planetside 2 added those in after player demands and "squads" in that game max out at 12 players, so even one person directing that many was too much work for a lot of people. Another upcoming WW2 FPS called Post Scriptum is going to have fire teams. With a position like fire team leader that's only responsible for three other players you are much more likely to get some help leading. From what I've seen in PS2 it's really helped small outfits.

WW2online is basically at the "outfit" or "guild" level still. There's one big blob of players that the head guy has and that's it. He can't push/pull them on to missions. That was passable maybe 10 years ago, but doesn't work now that a lot of squads are rebuilding from scratch. A good thing about building more squad structures is that even if they don't do anything initially CRS can hook features in to them later. So they're not a dead end, hell CRS is talking about starting a new project in UE4 they would do well to start coding some platoon/squad/fire team features.

It all depends on what the players want.

Do they just want to log in and be able join an organised grouping of players at that point in time? or do they want to join up with their Squad mates?

The first option will obviously need the UI to handle the specifics.  While the second option could also be left to the squads to sort out.  The squads used to do this all the time (some squads are able to do this now).  I can remember in the past each squad had specific Area of Operations (For a long period I hardly played in the flat lands of the North).  This current organic squad system only works when you have good numbers online and more importantly the players in the squad follow their COs orders ( Do you remember when you would log in and the first thing you would type was "S! who is the OIC? ").

IMO do not limit the max size of squads but there should be a minimum number of members for a squad.  If it drops below this then the squad loses its access to "Squad missions" and their squad tag.  Alterntively Squads could have co-squads so if the COs of those squads decide to co-op then the squad missions will be merged between them.  Did I mention Squad missions?.

On a side note Squad missions should have Spawn Contro™l.  The ability to control when and what spawns is key to getting an organised mission going  e.g. ML assigns when/if inf, trucks, tanks, atgs are allowed to spawn in.  Being a ML can sometimes be overwhelming at points so there should be a ML and a Deputy ML both have rights to set Way points,ZOCs, orders and spawn control.

Well, with WBS soldier, this topic rears it's head again.

We've gone from over 1100 members to 42..........

We going to let it rise to 80.

But why?  we can't setup our squad organization, newbs have no idea how we are organized.

Someday someone will realize it is the squads that make things happen and empower them.

We have no mission control, no supply, no PPOs, no rank, no groups, nada.

Not even worth the effort to run a squad anymore almost imo.

Not sure why anyone else can't see this.

Create a free website with forums and organize it the way you want....

*** Create a free website with forums and organize it the way you want....

Sure, I'll do it all myself, manually.....  for what reason?  What you paying me to do all this work?

Not only that, your solution does nothing for mission control, supply, or PPOs.

Well, since we can't get anything for squads; at least put another 1000 characters into the MOTD, so I can try and explain our organization there....

Least you can do since I'm trying to help grow your game.

On 3/3/2018 at 8:35 PM, delems said:

Sure, I'll do it all myself, manually.....  for what reason?  What you paying me to do all this work?

Not to say things are not needed in game but, the reason would be for you, for your squad.
Back in the mega squad days, that is actually how we did everything, on our own, on external websites. private roger wilco servers etc, everything was external.
Had orbat tools organization and such, no one paid anyone, it was done for the squad for the squad members.

Everyone had a site, BKB, 31st WC, Dam Busters, Windhund etc.

Again this isnt to say that better things are not needed in game for squad and UI in general, but you ask why would You do it, for what reason?
That is the reason we did it.

*** Back in the mega squad days, that is actually how we did everything

Ya, and back in the day we didn't have Siri; I had to manually dial... and only from home....... 

World has moved well beyond those times.... game needs to also.

1 person likes this

Honestly, if a new player doesn’t want to participate or engage with the squad, he’s not worth having anyway. The newer generation of players come from the now shoot em up, die and respawn. (COD) Most games out there have very little strategy or actual team work. Most kids or young adults do not want to sit at an FB and defend with no action for two hours because they don’t realize the importance. It’s a different generation gentlemen and we need to adapt or get over it. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, Ce said:

... newer generation of players come from the now shoot em up, die and respawn. (COD) Most games out there have very little strategy or actual team work. Most kids or young adults do not want to sit at an FB and defend with no action for two hours because they don’t realize the importance. It’s a different generation gentlemen and we need to adapt or get over it. 

Exactly right.  My squad has had recruiter flags on constantly since the Steam rollout.  We get 3-5 players a day auto-recruited.  We always greet them on squad chat and start immediately trying to get them on Discord.  90% never respond and get auto-kicked after 7 days.  The others?  Let me put it this way.  Since the Steam rollout (September 2017?), we've added exactly one good, communicating, consistent  player.  Some level of squad control is required if we're going to retain any of these point-and-shooters looking for the infamous pink mist.

On 04/03/2018 at 2:02 AM, Pittpete said:

Create a free website with forums and organize it the way you want....

We have that (we pay for it), & have had for the 11 years we’ve been active. Unfortunately, getting new players on there (& vocal in game) is super tough. It’s a constant discussion for us.

It’s certainly changed heaps over the years, & we’re looking at ways to adapt rather than find excuses. One of these approaches is that I’ve been trying to contact ‘anyone’ concerning the missing button ‘create squad forum’ on this very website - can anyone help? I haven’t had any response.

I do have plenty of agreement with delems. We’ve absolutely kept hundreds of players subscribed over the years through our internal camaraderie, which I’m sure is the case of many of the other important squads on both sides.

Edited by poker

You could also do a FB group.

The way players come and go here is it really necessary to update and manage a squad roster?

13 hours ago, poker said:

I do have plenty of agreement with delems. We’ve absolutely kept hundreds of players subscribed over the years through our internal camaraderie, which I’m sure is the case of many of the other important squads on both sides.

Trevor! Ello m8ty. Long time. Hope you’ve been well sir.

I will say this, we would maintain and obtain new members because of what we did in game. New players loved 40 tanks rolling into town, or 60 man para drops or organized CP rushes. I remember I took a laffy on a hot stale AO with about 15 green tags and low rankers, drove right up to the door, the rushed in, capped and moved to the next and they loved it. Am I assuming this type of play doesn’t happen anymore?

On 3/14/2018 at 11:51 AM, Ce said:

Honestly, if a new player doesn’t want to participate or engage with the squad, he’s not worth having anyway. The newer generation of players come from the now shoot em up, die and respawn. (COD) Most games out there have very little strategy or actual team work. Most kids or young adults do not want to sit at an FB and defend with no action for two hours because they don’t realize the importance. It’s a different generation gentlemen and we need to adapt or get over it. 

18 hours ago, dogface said:

Exactly right.  My squad has had recruiter flags on constantly since the Steam rollout.  We get 3-5 players a day auto-recruited.  We always greet them on squad chat and start immediately trying to get them on Discord.  90% never respond and get auto-kicked after 7 days.  The others?  Let me put it this way.  Since the Steam rollout (September 2017?), we've added exactly one good, communicating, consistent  player.  Some level of squad control is required if we're going to retain any of these point-and-shooters looking for the infamous pink mist.

I think part of it comes down to the game's UI (which I believe is being worked on?) and players just wanting to try the game on more of a casual scale. But to dismiss a majority of new players as being too casual or unwilling to play slower-paced games is an erroneous assessment. There are several other games with respectable playerbase sizes active on the market right now which exhibit required teamwork & slow-paced gameplay at times like WWIIOL does. I think the main factors keeping new player retention rates so low, ignoring graphics, would be foremost the subscription model and secondly the difficulty of working the UI and learning how the game works. 

Any way to separate game rank from gear?

That way we can have players ranks reset to show squad org, w/o impacting their access to gear.

Need more squad tools.

12 minutes ago, delems said:

Any way to separate game rank from gear?

That way we can have players ranks reset to show squad org, w/o impacting their access to gear.

Yes.
Not without coding up something new mind you, but you could change the current thing we call rank
to something else, lets just say "Expertise" which you apply to gear levels available

Then add a new stat and call it "Rank"

Then you would just need a new mechanic whereby a person may gain rank.
Have to have other ways beyond just handing them out via a squad, a lot of people who side balance have no squad
because doing so kind of excludes them from most squads for one example

And then you might want some kind of game functions that earning the rank gets you access to.

Also in addition, one may want some pseudo "Squad" ranks, to better organize their squad.
Would not be ranks really, more of a squad title or position/function

I just need a way so I can set all the ranks of the players in my squad to show the squad organization.

If I have rats reset their (and my) ranks now, they (I) lose access to gear.

Yes, players not in squad need a way to rank up I suppose, but I need rank control for my squad.

Delems, their rank ingame, unless they are part of one of the HCs, is all about access to stuff, no?  As such, ingame rank is irrelevant to squad organization, unless you wish to make it otherwise.  Lafayette Federation has NEVER paid attention to ingame rank at all, and it has had zero effect on our squad heirarchy.  I don't say that to brag.  I say that to point out that linking ingame rank and squad rank is not necessary.

In my opinion, the problem with the lack of squads isn't because CRS doesn't provide websites, etc. for them, it's because in their efforts to ensure the HCs' relevance, they eliminated the relevance of squads.  Squads used to be needed to help move the map.  Now, boots suffice.  The downside, of course, is that a lot of people stuck with the game not because of the game, but because of their squad.  Less squads ended up meaning less people, which has affected gameplay in a negative fashion.  If was just Lafayette Federation who had seen squad members dwindle away, I might think it merely anecdotal evidence, but 31st Wrecking Crew, if it still exists, has to be a shell of its former self.  The unfortunately named totenkopfs are gone as far as I know, although I have seen Shilling ingame a couple of times.  Windhund is not nearly as big.  Is BKB still a viable squad?  And so on.  Lack of relevance mortally wounded large squads, which in turn has contributed to less players ingame.

Please note I am not bashing on the HCs being relevant----not only are they necessary, but I served in AHC as best I could during the early years, and know full well that this game wouldn't survive without the HCs anymore than it can prosper without the return of the squads.

S!

Edited by augetout

S!

I have returned to the game after a 5 year , or more , break .  I was once 22nd Mech , and was spoiled at having been included in the squad .  The huge resupply runs , FB busting , and the holding of our beloved Aarsch - Deist FB , and some of the finest people I've ever known , was more than I could have ever expected from a video game / simulation .  Since I signed back up ( free play , so far ) I don't think I've seen more than 3 squad tags in one place at a time .  I have been recruited in to a squad , and did as was mentioned above  " S! , who is oic and what are orders ? "  Never once got a reply on squad channel .  Disappointing , I would have hoped that the squads would have all grown .  I am saddened that the 22nd is no longer together ...

So yes , squads are important if this game is to be at it's best .  I appreciate being able to comment here .

S! crinky / aka : reichfur .

7 hours ago, augetout said:

Delems, their rank ingame, unless they are part of one of the HCs, is all about access to stuff, no?  As such, ingame rank is irrelevant to squad organization, unless you wish to make it otherwise.  Lafayette Federation has NEVER paid attention to ingame rank at all, and it has had zero effect on our squad heirarchy.  I don't say that to brag.  I say that to point out that linking ingame rank and squad rank is not necessary.

In my opinion, the problem with the lack of squads isn't because CRS doesn't provide websites, etc. for them, it's because in their efforts to ensure the HCs' relevance, they eliminated the relevance of squads.  Squads used to be needed to help move the map.  Now, boots suffice.  The downside, of course, is that a lot of people stuck with the game not because of the game, but because of their squad.  Less squads ended up meaning less people, which has affected gameplay in a negative fashion.  If was just Lafayette Federation who had seen squad members dwindle away, I might think it merely anecdotal evidence, but 31st Wrecking Crew, if it still exists, has to be a shell of its former self.  The unfortunately named totenkopfs are gone as far as I know, although I have seen Shilling ingame a couple of times.  Windhund is not nearly as big.  Is BKB still a viable squad?  And so on.  Lack of relevance mortally wounded large squads, which in turn has contributed to less players ingame.

Please note I am not bashing on the HCs being relevant----not only are they necessary, but I served in AHC as best I could during the early years, and know full well that this game wouldn't survive without the HCs anymore than it can prosper without the return of the squads.

S!

Ah the wrecking crew  had some of the finest propaganda in the game to recruit. I loved it. 

But I think Delems point is more about control with inside a squad, and the ability to assign multiple squad leaders to multiple missions and maintain a command structure at even the lowest level. His squad is larger so I think it’s more about how they function not how to get more. At least that’s how I read it. 

8 hours ago, black5 said:

Ah the wrecking crew  had some of the finest propaganda in the game to recruit. I loved it. 

But I think Delems point is more about control with inside a squad, and the ability to assign multiple squad leaders to multiple missions and maintain a command structure at even the lowest level. His squad is larger so I think it’s more about how they function not how to get more. At least that’s how I read it. 

Perhaps I am not understanding him.  I do know that if/when we had multiple pieces going in our operational pie, we would assign them on the spot, via voicecoms or ingame chat.